** Captain America (Steve Rogers) **

Options

Comments

• I really wish his red hit harder and his yellow cost less to make him more viable. I actually find abilities where you can target tiles to be quite fun. His abilities make you weight the pros and cons of waiting for a countdown timer vs trying to trigger a crit or cascade.
  • Red is very efficient if it resolves, but even if it always resolved successfully it still takes a long time before it can make a meaningful impact. You do something like 600 damage every 3 turns and you have to start with 11 red. For the sake of simplicity let's say Adamantium Claw has the same cost (it varies, depending on what level), then you'd need 9 turns after you have enough AP to pull off a red move to even break even with a fairly average move, and that's of course assuming the tile doesn't get broken (it's relatively safe but definitely not that safe).

However with the emphasis on powerful special tiles (Invisible Women and Ares's Sunder tile is quite nasty) perhaps the ability to remove any arbitary special tile will have a use. It's obviously too early to tell.
  • His Red may be efficient over several turns, but the fact is you can almost get 2 Thor reds off with the same AP, which can lead to yellow matches in the same turn. Over the course of the turns it takes to get that red back Thor is going to be doing a LOT more damage. It'll be interesting to see how things play out when the dust settles.
  • As I said elsewhere, I consider the main thing of captain to place the tile. The attached damage, stun, recollection coming as secondary effect/bonus.

And certainly we have way better tile-placers in the game, rendering cap suboptimal and used only where forced.

I'd make his abilities cheaper by 2-3 AP (possibly doing little less damage and recovering the cost-1 maxed), with big body and tile damage he could be useful.
  • Captain America is worth leveling up for the PVE events where he's buffed. When his shield over-writes a tile and does 1200 or 1500 damage it becomes incredibly desirable, and when you're facing guys with a millions billions hp the effective low cost is brilliant. He was the first 2 star I maxed out (he's one of my favorite characters), and every time he's boosted in PVE (which is almost every time so far) the decision pays for itself.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That you recoup most of the red spent (provided the red isn't matched; timed out), doesn't change that it's not quick or big damage like:

10 red spent on Wolverine slash
    or
    12 red spend on Thor hammer attacks at (a minimum of 1k per).

I get that you can keep popping it, but when you're in a pinch, you don't want to trade blows with the other team.
    Besides, when I pair Cap, Thor, Wolverine, no one else uses Blue. So it's logical to max it and let Thor / Wolverine use the Red/Green to their strengths.
    As a reminder. Cap's yellow isn't to protect you from damage. It's there to clear up the Mjolnir's Might spam that Thor plants all-over-the-board, and recoup the yellows back.
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Argh! I have a 1/3/1 Cap with a Red cover waiting, and I don't know if I should use it! I get that there are many better characters for PvP, so I was thinking 3/5/5 to make him a PvE person, but there is much talk of him getting buffed, or his yellow synergizing(sp?) with Mjolnir's Might. I don't find it too difficult to get 19 AP, but only once, and besides, wouldn't Thunder Strike be a better investment anyway? To power Sniper Rifle or something?
    Any advice? I know he isn't supremely useful, but overall, is he better as a tile-stopper or an edge-case PvPer?
  • 3/5/5 is the only way to go really.
  • I disagree. 5/5/3 is totally fine. Despite the yellow being very expensive, it's sometimes worthwhile at level 5, like vs lv240 teams. If you want to deal with countdown tiles, there are tons of better ways than using Cap's blue, and just the red should be more than enough to handle them on its own. Also, if Cap gets buffed in the future (which is very likely), yellow is the one they'll buff the most.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm finding I really like playing a Buffed Captain America.

I usually have faster characters or support characters for the start of the rounds. Since his Countdown icons can be placed, there isn't as much fear of protecting them.

Then his red and blue can scythe through the enemy over and over again.

It would be great if he could be buffed up -- just having his hit points and damage increased to levels similar to his Buff levels would be great.
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Thanks, jozier and Celerity. I like those lines of reasoning, but I do think that yellow has the most potential for buff, so 5/5/3 it is!
  • azmadu
    azmadu Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    I was always curious as to why Caps yellow was such an expensive use item, but now during the Hunt multiday events he comes into his own.

If I had the forethought I would have built him 5/3/5 and not 5/5/3 as I think his blue stun is more useful than his red because you team him with Thor (5/4/4 for me) and he generates the yellow tiles for you.

In his non buffed status my Cap is lvl 43 4/4/5 with 2325 health and his damage is 26/23/20/6/7/7/3.0/3 for the tiles respectively (yell/red/blue/p/gr/blk). In the buffed The Hunt event at lvl 43 he has 7301 health and his damage is 82/73/64/12/13/14. Can you guys see that? 82 in yellow and mine is only a 4/4/5 at lvl 43. Each of those yellow protect tiles defend against 155 damage, EACH!!!!!

So get 3 x 155 on the board and you've got defence against normal 3 tile matches or more plus 465 defence against larger attacks (3 x 155).

I really wish I had him at 5/3/5 so I could get the 4th yellow tile as that would make him the ultimate defender, maybe better than IM35s defence or Bullseye's/Spidey's purple tiles and probably better than Magneto's force field.

I would be interested to know how these defend tiles really all compare but I bet Captain America is one of the strongest because he can only have 4 max whereas Magneto/Bullseye can have any number.
  • So basically, for his yellow to be good he needs to be buffed and paired with Thor? Okay, I'd rather just use Spidey who can get like 3x200 protect tiles while unbuffed.
  • So basically, for his yellow to be good he needs to be buffed and paired with Thor? Okay, I'd rather just use Spidey who can get like 3x200 protect tiles while unbuffed.

Even with Thor, the yellow cost is too high to be useful as for the same cost you could almost send 2 Thor's lightning bolts and this way killing one opponent or two...

A protective power with a high cost is the worst idea you can have as you need protection at the beginning of a fight (Ironman or Bullseye), not at the end. Capt. need serious patch and a more useful power to be played efficiently. Perhaps a yellow passive could be great with the power to protect team's members, the same opposite way an hawkeye has been built.
  • Capt. America needs serious help with his protective power. I don't think a high cost protective skill is something to be done in this kind of game, for the same cost a wolverine could spam dozens of strike tokens, doing damages as well ! Protective skills need to be done at the start/middle of a fight, not at the end, and Captain America can die more than twice before he can reach the humongous cost of his yellow power !
    Captain works well at 12AP, maybe another power at this cost but with less efficiency and/or another ability could be useful. Perhaps he could be built the same way the invisible woman is at the moment. He creates a protective token (only one but with protective power, as captain is about altruism of course) and another effect, let's say - As long as the token is in play he absorbs all damages done to the other team members. So he could be used to protect other characters with a passive IA.
  • @Celerity

I had a 5/5/3 build, but I sold him after listening to everyone, and decided to go for 3/5/5 instead. He's currently at 2/3/5 now.

It's not untrue that most likely, yellow will be balanced out. But in it's current state, it's almost unusable. How often do you think you will pull this move off? It's too expensive as a tile-changer for combos, and too slow as a damage reducer.

To be honest, I'd rather worry about the "now", rather than the "later".

In future, anything can happen.
  • azmadu
    azmadu Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    So basically, for his yellow to be good he needs to be buffed and paired with Thor? Okay, I'd rather just use Spidey who can get like 3x200 protect tiles while unbuffed.

Yeah you didn't understand my point at all. icon_rolleyes.gif

You could equally say that Invisible Woman is no use because her yellow is 4 AP higher than Cap's (23 at lvl 1) so why would anyone ever bother using her. The point is his yellow is his most damaging colour (not red, not blue), whether he's buffed or not, and if you pair him with Thor (which is sensible as they are synergistic in colours and usage) then that gives you options to either use Thor's thunder strike, or to shield your team.

To get Spidey's protect tiles to have that strength requires there to be web tiles present on the board which gives you the problem that if you want to use his web bandages this will remove all the web tiles and then how strong will the tiles be???

I did ask if anyone knows definitively how all these defense tiles compare and I'b bet that IW is obviously the best, so long as she's still alive, then Captain A, then Magneto followed by Spidey/Bullseye then IM35 but I don't know which is why I asked.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mechgouki wrote:
    @Celerity

I had a 5/5/3 build, but I sold him after listening to everyone, and decided to go for 3/5/5 instead. He's currently at 2/3/5 now.

It's not untrue that most likely, yellow will be balanced out. But in it's current state, it's almost unusable. How often do you think you will pull this move off? It's too expensive as a tile-changer for combos, and too slow as a damage reducer.

To be honest, I'd rather worry about the "now", rather than the "later".

In future, anything can happen.
    He's not on the buff list, and according to IceIX he was (inexplicably IMO) one of the most used characters. I wouldn't count on changes too soon
  • azmadu wrote:

I did ask if anyone knows definitively how all these defense tiles compare and I'b bet that IW is obviously the best, so long as she's still alive, then Captain A, then Magneto followed by Spidey/Bullseye then IM35 but I don't know which is why I asked.
    Spidey > IW > Bullseye > Mags > Cap > IM35

I have no idea why you're rating Spidey as having one of the worst protect tiles and Cap as one of the best.
  • Spoit wrote:
    He's not on the buff list, and according to IceIX he was (inexplicably IMO) one of the most used characters. I wouldn't count on changes too soon

It's because he's been more or less continuously buffed for like the last month, and everyone has him. He's actually really useful buffed, even at mid-level.