** Captain America (Steve Rogers) **

Options

Comments

• He's not that bad tbh. Yellow is expensive but still a good move. By the time you get that much AP, the defense isn't really needed, so you use it as an offensive move. Would prefer lower cost so you can actually use it defensively. Lvl5 yellow has something like 400 damage reduction I think. Almost enough to negate Rag's Thunderclaps.
  • Cap is one of those characters I mistakenly just leveled up abilities whenever i got covers...
    Now I have a 5 yellow, which to me is useless (waaay to costly...is this the most costly ability in the game?)

Abilities at this astronomical cost should be "finishing moves", not defensive, IMHO.

If I were to wish him modified in sone way, it'd only be to reduce the cost of his yellow ability.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Cap is still very very good at PvE. In these Heroics, it's rare that I ever have to worry about countdown tiles, since his abilities are so cheap once you get the AP for it initially.

I think it's fine to keep him as a PvE monster. I don't think he'll ever be viable for PvP, and that's probably OK.
  • MrMeer wrote:
    Cap is one of those characters I mistakenly just leveled up abilities whenever i got covers...
    Now I have a 5 yellow, which to me is useless (waaay to costly...is this the most costly ability in the game?)

Abilities at this astronomical cost should be "finishing moves", not defensive, IMHO.

If I were to wish him modified in sone way, it'd only be to reduce the cost of his yellow ability.

Not the most expensive. IronMan 40 blue costs 20 and 0-3AP of every other color. Although it does hit everyone for a ton of damage. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One thing about Cap is that all of his skills are versatile because you get to place the special tiles, and two out of three return a good bit of their AP cost. Therefore, the devs have to balance their effects and the ways to balance versatility include lowering damage/stun-time and increasing AP costs. I think one good way to improve him a little would be to make the yellow skill place its protect tiles randomly and cut its cost a lot. I actually really like it for defense if I can gather the yellow for it. I had a buffed mid-level Cap (5/3/3) blocking >160 points per turn after one use of the skill, dropping all enemy matches to one point of damage.

My big question on the 5/3/3 Cap is whether to go 5/4/4 or to take either red or blue to 5 and have that one skill that can remove countdown timers.
  • I think part of the issue is that his yellow is considered to be two amaaaaazing abilities in one (place tiles wherever you want, plus protection).

The problem is that as most folks in this thread have said, the protection is negligible. Especially since it takes so dang long just to build up enough yellow to use. icon_eek.gif
    MrMeer wrote:

I'd settle for this...
  • He's good for PvE as said. If it were up to me, I'd change his yellow to be the opposite of m.Hawkeye's purple, that is, if there are X yellow tiles on the board, he jumps in front of other characters to soak their damage.
  • Misguided wrote:
    He's good for PvE as said. If it were up to me, I'd change his yellow to be the opposite of m.Hawkeye's purple, that is, if there are X yellow tiles on the board, he jumps in front of other characters to soak their damage.

That's for the 3* Cap when he arrives.
  • fatcatfan wrote:
    Misguided wrote:
    He's good for PvE as said. If it were up to me, I'd change his yellow to be the opposite of m.Hawkeye's purple, that is, if there are X yellow tiles on the board, he jumps in front of other characters to soak their damage.

That's for the 3* Cap when he arrives.

Maybe. It could really shake up the dynamic of the game to have a character like that.
  • I'm finding him to work well with **Wolverine at higher levels. Builds up a stock pile of red and green let Wolverine use feral rage then let Capt. use his red ability for around 1000-1500 damage. When his shield returns Wolverine can use his feral rage again usually by this time he can then use his Adamantium Strike to finish the team off. ***Iron Man whose recharge charges red, blue and green at skill level 3 usually results in an instant win with this team.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Options
    Any suggestions for build? What the best?
    I think I should go 5/4/4, what do you think?
  • FoxInSox
    FoxInSox Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    TheHood wrote:
    He is good in PvE and terrible in pvp. As such, having his red and blue at 5 allows both powers to target and eliminate countdown tiles for very little cost (since you get almost all of the ap back assuming you don't match it). As a result I have been exceedingly happy with my 3/5/5 build for him. Keeping them both at 4 won't let you use him to eliminate countdowns, so I'd strongly argue against a 5/4/4 build.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Options
    FoxInSox wrote:
    TheHood wrote:
    He is good in PvE and terrible in pvp. As such, having his red and blue at 5 allows both powers to target and eliminate countdown tiles for very little cost (since you get almost all of the ap back assuming you don't match it). As a result I have been exceedingly happy with my 3/5/5 build for him. Keeping them both at 4 won't let you use him to eliminate countdowns, so I'd strongly argue against a 5/4/4 build.
    I didn't know at lv 5 his red and his blue can eliminate every also enemies tiles, it sounds good for a pg that until now I considered useless.
    I agree now, the best build is 3/5/5.
  • Ronfar
    Ronfar Posts: 150
    Options
    Did I screw up by going 5/4/4? I can't kill countdown tiles, but the yellow is very good if it ever fires. I only use him when he's buffed anyway...
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    While it requires starting with 6 yellow (to make the 19 yellow easier), 19 Yellow is NOT difficult to achieve when paired with Thor's Red. That Red, maxed out, is only 6 per. It adds 5 yellows per-turn.
    But it costs 19 to put 4 protect tiles on the board

Stop using it for protect tiles. Think of it as strategic placement of yellows to clear Thor's hammer-spam. Suddenly, you drop 700-900 damage AND recoup 12 yellow to drop Thor's 2k dmg hammer.

Cap is awesome. 5Y3R5B is the build.
  • Is 5/5/3 an okay build?

I personally find it so very hard to decide his build. Mainly because all his skills suck. -_-

Liberty is good for both cascades and protect. But the high cost means you'll be unlikely to even get it to activate. And the other two, while useful in getting rid of countdown tiles, can't seem to do anything else other than piss your opponent off.

Between Red and Blue, I figured we only need one if the objective is to clear tiles. The red damage is pathetic. But the Blue stun is just as bad. 2 turn stun where you get back the AP for it 3 turns later....
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you're married to 5 yellow, personally I think that maxing the blue would be better. There are way better red powers
  • Spoit wrote:
    If you're married to 5 yellow, personally I think that maxing the blue would be better. There are way better red powers

I agree..though he is mediocre regardless. "Slightly better than Okay" in a 3/5/5 build for pve but otherwise..mediocre.

His yellow is trash. The cost is too high, its a def move, and did i mention it was expensive? Not only that, but the last point on red and blue is where you get to drop it on countdown tiles...which is caps only real purpose....fighting against high lvl minions' tiles. Anything but 3/5/5 is bad. If you already made the mistake of yellow..I would go with blue. At least it allows for a nice stun loop on a single enemy if you build enough blue. Functions decently with ironman. Imo the red's only use is in stopping an emergency countdown tile, as it is weak damage and risky.

In short, cap was built as a pve character ( you shoukd build him with that in mind), and that is where he functions. Outside of that realm and he sputters badly.
  • I have 4|5|4 and his yellow power is very affective . . .but it takes a while to build up yellow ap (19) .
    It's kind of like moonstones black power.
  • Long version: Having been stuck with my 3/5/5 version several times during the Hulk event, I would recommend maxing at least his blue or his red (and I lean toward the blue with the stun), if not both.

His yellow is nice for adding so many tiles at level 5, but it can't overwrite everything, only basic tiles. At level 5, both his red and his blue can overwrite *any* type of tile. Very handy to stop HAMMER countdown tiles.

I still think 3/5/5 is the best build for him, but I also think he still kinda sucks and never use him unless I have to.

If Punisher and Hulk get super, super, super popular, I think this guy might actually inch a li'l bit higher in importance in the meta. This is, of course, due to Hulk's black and Punisher's everything adding special tiles to the board (in Frank's case, he gets downright spammy, but it will obviously be important to get rid of the red countdown tile his black makes). This'd be for pretty much any build of Cap other than 5/4/4, though most likely 3/5/5.

I'm a fan of the character and don't want him to suck, but with the new movie coming out later this year, D3P would be crazy to not release at least one more version. I'm thinking a classic version at 3-stars. icon_e_wink.gif

Short version: Don't do 5/4/4. icon_e_smile.gif