** Captain America (Steve Rogers) **

Options

Comments

• azmadu wrote:
    To get Spidey's protect tiles to have that strength requires there to be web tiles present on the board which gives you the problem that if you want to use his web bandages this will remove all the web tiles and then how strong will the tiles be???

Spidey's shield tiles stay at the power they were cast at, regardless of whether or not the web tiles get cleared. As easy as it is to throw webs out with a Rank 5 Blue, it's pretty simple getting maxed out shield tiles. I only have a L70 Spider-man with Rank 3 in purple, and that gives me two shields at 151 a piece, which is good enough to keep most matches to 1 damage unless playing against Wolverine. The only thing that really gets in Spiderman's way is himself if you match purple too early and aren't able to clear it for a better shield tile after throwing your webs down, but regardless, Spidey's shield is easily still the best in the game. I could kick myself for selling off extra purple covers early on before realizing how awesome his shield is.
  • Killjoy00
    Killjoy00 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Against the very high level PVE matches, Captain's level 5 yellow is the only thing that saves me. Once I drop 4 protect tiles at over 250 protection each, nothing the opponent does except the most damaging attacks do more than 1. And against guys with that many HP, even two of Thor's yellow attacks might kill, oh, half of one guy. Totally worth it.

He's a role player. Lots of people hate on him here, but he is simply amazing in PVE. Obviously the buff helps, but the way he can target enemy tiles makes him a lifesaver. I'm at 5/3/5, level 65 and no regrets at all.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No. No. No.

Let's assume you start with 3r3y and 3all boosts? Before you make one match, you have 6 yellow towards your 19 for 4 yellows.

Match reds 2x, and you're up to 12. That is a guaranteed 10 yellows on the board. Drop one more mjolnirs might, and it's 15.
    It is EXTREMELY EASY TO GET 19Y. The goal then becomes pinball. Bing-bing-bing...

Cap matches as many yellow tiles as possible. Free turn. Tadah!! 13Y. There is another 2k DMG from thor after counting cap's match and cascade dmg.
  • Did someone just say it is extremely easy to get 19 yellow?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

oww.... my stomach hurts from laughing too hard.....
  • Your matches should almost be over by the time you could use Cap's 19y.

3/5/5 is the only option because Cap works best in PVE and 5 in blue and red allows you to overwrite any tile that could harm you.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If 19y is too difficult, then no one will ever use invisible woman...
  • jozier wrote:
    Your matches should almost be over by the time you could use Cap's 19y.

3/5/5 is the only option because Cap works best in PVE and 5 in blue and red allows you to overwrite any tile that could harm you.

I agree completely jozier. I accidentally made mine 4 red and 4 yellow before I knew any better and I see it as a horrible mistake not having the 5th red.
  • I rarely use captain america's abilities. When I'm fighting the low-mid level hammer/maggia opponents in PVE events, I don't want to worry about using abilities.
  • Bugpop wrote:
    I rarely use captain america's abilities. When I'm fighting the low-mid level hammer/maggia opponents in PVE events, I don't want to worry about using abilities.

Imagine this, you have Cap A's red at 4. A lvl 85 Ares has a Sunder tile out and no other means to destroy it. This red skill can come into effect on a lot of situations. I believe you can also remove enemy strike tiles with it. Now you get Cap's red and blue going through their rotations, and in long matches sometimes even 2 of each. He isn't the best character, but IMHO he's quite under rated. Especially when buffed.
  • Bugpop wrote:
    I rarely use captain america's abilities. When I'm fighting the low-mid level hammer/maggia opponents in PVE events, I don't want to worry about using abilities.

Imagine this, you have Cap A's red at 4. A lvl 85 Ares has a Sunder tile out and no other means to destroy it. This red skill can come into effect on a lot of situations. I believe you can also remove enemy strike tiles with it. Now you get Cap's red and blue going through their rotations, and in long matches sometimes even 2 of each. He isn't the best character, but IMHO he's quite under rated. Especially when buffed.

You can get that effect just by having one of his reusable skills at 5, you don't need them both that high. IMO his blue is just not worth using for the purpose of destroying countdowns, for several reasons:

1. Pretty much every other character with a blue skill can use it as a better panic button.
    2. His red is better for destroying countdown tiles because it's a better skill in general.
    3. Even without blue at lv5, you can still use it to stall the countdown for 2 turns, which is usually long enough.
    4. Countdown tiles are mostly irrelevant.

His yellow is his best ability, and it is the one that scales the best with levels. Red scales second best. In the only fights where Captain America is worth using (long fights where his attrition can take effect), you will eventually get 19 yellow. If you're not getting 19 yellow, you shouldn't be using Captain America in that fight, plain and simple.
  • Not a bad point Celerity but I'm also trying to look ahead to spideys inevitable nerfing along with the fact not everyone can obtain a spidey where most everyone can obtain a captain A. To me being able to get 2 blue shields rotating is better than 2 protect tiles. Seems to me a situation where any of the 3 skills can be used effectively but perhaps whichever 2 skills you prefer need to be at 5. Any variation of a 4/4/5 seem inefficient.
  • Celerity wrote:
    His yellow is his best ability, and it is the one that scales the best with levels. Red scales second best. In the only fights where Captain America is worth using (long fights where his attrition can take effect), you will eventually get 19 yellow. If you're not getting 19 yellow, you shouldn't be using Captain America in that fight, plain and simple.

Bullseye's Muderous Aim scales even better. 7300 damage at level 69. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Dumb question but I've looked and can't find the answer. What does it mean when it says that Capt America lays down a "protect tile"? What is a protect tile and how does it work? Thanks.
  • grifman wrote:
    Dumb question but I've looked and can't find the answer. What does it mean when it says that Capt America lays down a "protect tile"? What is a protect tile and how does it work? Thanks.

It's the defensive equivalent of a strike tile.

Lets says you have one defensive tile on the board with a strength of 100 and someone hits you with a damage dealing power with strength 1000. You'll only take 900 damage.
  • Not a bad point Celerity but I'm also trying to look ahead to spideys inevitable nerfing along with the fact not everyone can obtain a spidey where most everyone can obtain a captain A. To me being able to get 2 blue shields rotating is better than 2 protect tiles. Seems to me a situation where any of the 3 skills can be used effectively but perhaps whichever 2 skills you prefer need to be at 5. Any variation of a 4/4/5 seem inefficient.

My first post here so bear with me if I sound like a noob (which I prob am!)

With Cap's yellow ability being changed at Level 85 5y gives 150 protect strength each, would it be a much better skill to level to 5 Yellows (albeit high cost of 19AP) now? I know there are discussion abt this with 5/5/3 or 3/5/5 being
    mooted earlier. I'm sitting at 3/3/3 currently, with 2R,1Y,1B in my rewards, and I'm having a hard time deciding! Pls advise Ty!
  • Stark27 wrote:
    Not a bad point Celerity but I'm also trying to look ahead to spideys inevitable nerfing along with the fact not everyone can obtain a spidey where most everyone can obtain a captain A. To me being able to get 2 blue shields rotating is better than 2 protect tiles. Seems to me a situation where any of the 3 skills can be used effectively but perhaps whichever 2 skills you prefer need to be at 5. Any variation of a 4/4/5 seem inefficient.

With Cap's yellow ability being changed at Level 85 5y gives 150 protect strength each, would it be a much better skill to level to 5 Yellows (albeit high cost of 19AP) now? I know there are discussion abt this with 5/5/3 or 3/5/5 being
    mooted earlier. I'm sitting at 3/3/3 currently, with 2R,1Y,1B in my rewards, and I'm having a hard time deciding! Pls advise Ty!

The current game does not favor a defensive approach, but there will likely be considerable change to this philsophy when the inevitable Spiderman nerf hits (he's responsible for rendering defensive strategy obselete because why defend when you can just stun everyone?). There's no reason to level up his yellow right now, but depending on what happens to a few other characters, this may change in the future.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Stark27 wrote:
    Not a bad point Celerity but I'm also trying to look ahead to spideys inevitable nerfing along with the fact not everyone can obtain a spidey where most everyone can obtain a captain A. To me being able to get 2 blue shields rotating is better than 2 protect tiles. Seems to me a situation where any of the 3 skills can be used effectively but perhaps whichever 2 skills you prefer need to be at 5. Any variation of a 4/4/5 seem inefficient.

The current game does not favor a defensive approach, but there will likely be considerable change to this philsophy when the inevitable Spiderman nerf hits (he's responsible for rendering defensive strategy obselete because why defend when you can just stun everyone?). There's no reason to level up his yellow right now, but depending on what happens to a few other characters, this may change in the future.

I agree, which is why I think when the Spidey balance comes, his Purple will be the one skill that will get buffed, this was a nice change for Cap, but he needs lower costs
  • I've got a Captain America at 3/1/3 and I have two yellow covers that I was wondering if I should apply or sell. They're good for another 5 days if there's any restructuring about to happen to him.
  • I've got a Captain America at 3/1/3 and I have two yellow covers that I was wondering if I should apply or sell. They're good for another 5 days if there's any restructuring about to happen to him.

The advantage of respec coming is if you apply them you can go ahead and level him up, if you want to do that. From an optimal build/restructuring standpoint, his skill is probably overpriced at this point (except in exceptionally long matches), and you will probably want to keep yellow at 3. The fact that they just tweaked his yellow power is probably a sign that he's not going to get a full revamp for a while (though I suspect he's on the list eventually).

Since respec should be here within a week or so, there's no reason to hold onto covers. You'll be able to replace the yellows with reds or whatever if you want to do so in the future.

For my part, I still believe 5/5/3 is just the best build, since the red is enough to get rid of countdown tiles, and stunning + removing countdown tiles is redundant. The yellow ability is too expensive for most fights, but the same could be said of The Hood and most people still put 5 into his yellow because it's incredibly bad without 5. Same for Cap: his yellow goes from being overcosted and awful to overcosted but useful.