**** Carnage (Cletus Kasady) ****

Comments

• Just wanted to say: respect to the devs.

They teased this character, let us have our fun with a preview. It turned out to be Carnage - grats to the correct guesses.
    But they also listened to our chatter, thoughts & reviews and are involving us, with commentary, on how they are tweaking him before actual release.

Bravo devs!

Especially IceIX but thank you ALL.

Good job.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here is my question to the community who is saying 5,3, 5 build. Do you really think battles will last long enough to get 11 green? Sure if you plan on bringing Storm with you to fire hailstorm first it will down a character, but wouldn't you like a stronger attack tile and just use red twice? Is it the board shake to potentially get more red on a starved board? I originally though green did damage per tile not just special tiles, but now that I read it properly he looks like a red beast and that is his benefit. his green can be situationally powerful, but his black will keep people from using cheep powers that don't down people.
  • wymtime
    IceIX wrote:
    unco_dan wrote:
    i'll accept all this....if it means we're also getting a spidey buff

otherwise..

men4g.jpg

One of these days Bag-Man will be buffed to level 270 and you will feel his powah. Fear the Bag.

Probably not.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    At the very least can you double red's cost and damage? I'm not a fan of self damage as excuse for higher damage but can you at least make it so its possible to deny? The damage to AP ratio is insane (well over a thousand per for a 7 AP move!), at least make it difficult to cast.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    Here is my question to the community who is saying 5,3, 5 build. Do you really think battles will last long enough to get 11 green? Sure if you plan on bringing Storm with you to fire hailstorm first it will down a character, but wouldn't you like a stronger attack tile and just use red twice? Is it the board shake to potentially get more red on a starved board? I originally though green did damage per tile not just special tiles, but now that I read it properly he looks like a red beast and that is his benefit. his green can be situationally powerful, but his black will keep people from using cheep powers that don't down people.

You make a good point, but black doesn't seem to scale well, and because it creates fodder for green 5/3/5 seems to make most sense. Surgical strike is 11 and I use that often.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Such a teen angst / mad at my Mom and Dad / I love blood and gore and Mortal Kombat, that has not been relevant nor prevalent since the 90s, SHOULD NOT be a 4* character. So, I truly hope that he is not.....
  • So funny. Even before released, he nerfed.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    That mention to Eddie Brock's Venom being a more powerful villain than 1* Venom, really gives me hope for a 3* classic Venom.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I hate being overly negative about new character releases, and I appreciate that all pre-release info is not final, and I definitely prefer knowing about upcoming releases to not knowing.

All that said, I continue to be quite negative about carnage. Here is a quote from the release interview:
    Fans of Sentry’s sacrificial stylings will definitely find a place for Carnage on their teams.

Sentry is a character that utterly dominated the meta for close to 6 months after his release. It was absolutely impossible to compete in the pvp space without an optimally built sentry. It was so bad that he had to be nerfed into oblivion to rebalance the game. This quote shows that demiruge is aware of the similarities of this design and sentry. Why are they trying the same thing all over again? What is the reasonable argument that Carnage won't just become an essential feature of high-level pvp play? Am I just being too pessimistic because I hate self-damage as a mechanic?

I'm pretty sure it was longer than 6 months, wasn't it?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    MFU wrote:
    So funny. Even before released, he nerfed.
    Happens with pre-release content. We're still balancing up till the second they're put out (and beyond really). A few previous preview characters have had the same thing happen. Sometimes it's because we're still actively doing balance passes as the info is put up, like this change. Other times it's because of direct user feedback. This particular change would have happened either way since it was internally led. You just wouldn't have seen it happen is all. icon_e_smile.gif
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Carnage/Cyclops/Hulk. Or even Carnage/Hulk/featured.

Just sayin
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Welp.. There goes my happy medium in the 700+ range I've been getting this season.
  • Gotta say I love the art for Carnage, well done devs!
  • clay_peterson
    clay_peterson Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Have they announced what the PVE event will be that awards Carnage?

Also, I'm wondering if there was any thought to letting him utilize web tiles?
  • wymtime
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

You make a good point, but black doesn't seem to scale well, and because it creates fodder for green 5/3/5 seems to make most sense. Surgical strike is 11 and I use that often.
    That is a fair point. I wonder how many special tiles will need to be out for this to do decent damage on average. 16 tiles will do good board shake up, but still needs to hit some special tiles to be worth it.
  • wymtime
    Joe, let me see here. And just who is still a fan of Sentrys sacrificial style of play any more? I am preety sure veteran players who sentry bombed with him have him playing left out. It turned out WR wiping out the entire team for 7 AP with CD tiles was to powerful even with the self damage, but a call of storm for 7 AP is ok?

I'm confused? icon_e_confused.gif
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,950 Chairperson of the Boards
    should of made this into a ULTRON type event with Carnage in the middle ring... Week long event.. only top 50 get it. Will never use him outside of the next PVE.... Pass
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    IceIX wrote:
    MFU wrote:
    So funny. Even before released, he nerfed.
    Happens with pre-release content. We're still balancing up till the second they're put out (and beyond really). A few previous preview characters have had the same thing happen. Sometimes it's because we're still actively doing balance passes as the info is put up, like this change. Other times it's because of direct user feedback. This particular change would have happened either way since it was internally led. You just wouldn't have seen it happen is all. icon_e_smile.gif

Just put red at 11-12, Supernova costs 11, does about the same AoE no target and ends the turn, because it's that powerful, how does something twice as powerful, cost 2 turns less of matches and not end the turn become remotely balanced?

You guys have said health matters as well, and he's got the 3rd highest hit point level. This is pay to win at its worst. Boost 4 red, 1 match I go off, pay more $ for health packs and not worry about shielding since no one would attack a Hulkbuster/carnage insert anyone team.

I love the flavor and style but this is Sentry all over again but with marshmallows and sprinkles
  • Sentry is still one of my favorites - you pay a penalty for using him, which is how it should be with that char. Hoping Carnage is similar - need some dangerous chars for balance.
  • wymtime
    slidecage wrote:
    should of made this into a ULTRON type event with Carnage in the middle ring... Week long event.. only top 50 get it. Will never use him outside of the next PVE.... Pass
    So you are interested in facing 395 carnage who can then do over 7500 AOE damage for 7 red plus massive attack tiles. No thanks