**** Carnage (Cletus Kasady) ****

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's what you chose to balance based on this feedback?

(For people who didn't go back and read the OP, Carnage Rules is not, as you might reasonably assume after reading the thread, his red power. It's the green.)
  • That's what you chose to balance based on this feedback?

(For people who didn't go back and read the OP, Carnage Rules is not, as you might reasonably assume after reading the thread, his red power. It's the green.)
    they did same thing w/ professor x whatd u expect icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's what you chose to balance based on this feedback?

You shouldn't be suprised, this is common from Demiurge icon_e_smile.gif

However, would be nice to see the Black passive with more relevant changes based on covers.
    And possibly a rebalanced red. I think its not super-overpowered, but if they make any changes, make it now...
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    Not to say that any other changes may or may not be coming. Just that this is the very most up to date set of information for this character. And it's still pre-release.

I totally get that you love theorycrafting the numbers (as do I!) and you want stuff to be final. But I also would think that you'd want to know that something's changing when that is actually the case. Hence, the change in Green as soon as it happened.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Updated OP with actual character information instead of stubs. Also, the damage on levels 4 and 5 of Carnage Rules have been reduced slightly from the initial preview. icon_carnage.png

Curious to know why Carnage was chosen to be a 4* or in the game at all.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Not to say that any other changes may or may not be coming. Just that this is the very most up to date set of information for this character. And it's still pre-release.

I totally get that you love theorycrafting the numbers (as do I!) and you want stuff to be final. But I also would think that you'd want to know that something's changing when that is actually the case. Hence, the change in Green as soon as it happened.

Fair enough! But believe me, I don't want that post to be final, I just thought it was.
  • I really like carnage. And would be willing to pay money for him even if he was bad because I like him. Just like I did for Cyclops. But sadly I won't be able to go to since he's a 4*
  • IceIX wrote:
    Updated OP with actual character information instead of stubs. Also, the damage on levels 4 and 5 of Carnage Rules have been reduced slightly from the initial preview. icon_carnage.png

We finally have a good spider man character, shhhhhh icon_e_wink.gif
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    IceIX wrote:

I'm guessing because Carnage is going to be in the 2017 Venom movie?

Seems early for a Sony favour induced tie in to their Spiderman cinematic universe (which is getting yet another reboot leading to supposedly three or four Sony Spiderman movies in the next three or four years).

If this is really about the tie-ins to the Sony franchise as part of Marvel's Spiderman crossover, then we can also expect to see a Black Cat, Spiderwoman, and a Symbiote Suit Spiderman in the next couple of years.
  • Deadsider
    Deadsider Posts: 81 Match Maker
    I admit I give them credit for naming green Carnage Rules. Love that song.
  • i'll accept all this....if it means we're also getting a spidey buff

otherwise..

men4g.jpg
  • As is, his red is better than Hulkbuster's red! Let's look single target:
    Repulsor Punch 630 * 7 AP = 4410 damage a hulkbuster if it could be fired at a single target with 7 AP
    Symbiote Scythes 4903 damage ... + 1808 damage to everyone else.
    However, you know when it's coming. You can add strikes, or protect tiles. And at 7 AP, you can fire it sooner.

Another quick damage combo: 10 redtile.png , 7 yellowtile.png
    Starlord Everyone With Me => Symbiote Scythes X2

There's no way Symbiote Scythes should be doing more damage than a loaded Repulsor Punch to a single target.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    unco_dan wrote:
    i'll accept all this....if it means we're also getting a spidey buff

otherwise..

men4g.jpg

One of these days Bag-Man will be buffed to level 270 and you will feel his powah. Fear the Bag.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    MPQ fans - Carnage is on the way!

Cletus Kasady, aka Carnage, is set to arrive in Marvel Puzzle Quest this week and you can hop over to Marvel.com for debut details. In today's chat, MPQ Producer Joe Fletcher breaks down the damage-dealing playstyle and dangerous abilities for the "symbiote psychopath." You'll definitely want to access the unveiling right away. Preview screenshots are included.

You can read the story here.

PIECING TOGETHER MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST: CARNAGE
    Quote:
    "Marvel.com: And what can Carnage do? Break down his abilities for us.

Joe Fletcher: Carnage runs as a Red/Black/Green character, which is pretty obvious when you think about it. He likes destroying stuff, he thinks pretty much only of himself, and hitting things in the face is pretty much his stock in trade. And trading is good. Carnage is a character that will be loved or hated by certain fans depending on what they want out of the character because his abilities are all self-centered and have drawbacks. Fans of Sentry’s sacrificial stylings will definitely find a place for Carnage on their teams."
  • Highdark
    Highdark Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Pair him up with Ms. marvel and Hulk for offense to proc yourself then cut yourself to ribbons. No real downside defensively. Pair up with Luke cage and some blue pink Dr doom or fury.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hate being overly negative about new character releases, and I appreciate that all pre-release info is not final, and I definitely prefer knowing about upcoming releases to not knowing.

All that said, I continue to be quite negative about carnage. Here is a quote from the release interview:
    Fans of Sentry’s sacrificial stylings will definitely find a place for Carnage on their teams.

Sentry is a character that utterly dominated the meta for close to 6 months after his release. It was absolutely impossible to compete in the pvp space without an optimally built sentry. It was so bad that he had to be nerfed into oblivion to rebalance the game. This quote shows that demiruge is aware of the similarities of this design and sentry. Why are they trying the same thing all over again? What is the reasonable argument that Carnage won't just become an essential feature of high-level pvp play? Am I just being too pessimistic because I hate self-damage as a mechanic?
  • Buret0
    I like how the devs acknowledge that Carnage will eat up a lot of health packs on O, which they seem to think is a trade-off they are comfortable with (use healthpacks to win faster, but you don't get to play for as long unless you buy more healthpacks).

They probably also relish the idea of putting this guy boosted in nodes and laugh while watching teams wipe over and over against it (or at least come out hurt enough to need healing).

What they seem to forget is that everything that they love about this character on O makes this the ideal character on D.

Three months from now when PvP is saturated with HP purchased clones of this character and it ruins the whole meta of differentiation that they are pushing, they will nerf him and the forums will riot. Of course, they will wait for a saturation of people (like Thoress and XF) to pay actual $$$ to max him (because he's a must have to compete character) before the nerf.

Warning people of this makes me feel a bit like Cassandra in Greek myth.

If people listen to you, then it won't come true. If people don't listen to you, then it will come true.

If no one does it, there will be no saturation and therefore no nerf. If people don't listen and they do purchase the covers and the ISO to max Carnage, then the nerf will come swiftly.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    2 edgy 4 me

Edit:
    the well-loved Thor’s Call the Thunder ability

For tinykitty's sake, Joe. It's "Call the Storm". We even had a whole thread about its name.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    there goes my weekend. icon_redface.gif
  • Buret0
    So now we are going to use KK (5/3/5), IMHB (3/5/5), and Carnage (5/5/3) together. Starlord's Everyone With Me teamup?

IMHB blue creates red tiles and blue protect tiles (KK heals, Carnage lays out special tiles).
    IMHB black creates red AP and strike tiles (KK heals, Carnage lays out special tiles).
    Carnage uses Red to hurt everyone else (KK heals, Carnage lays out special tiles)
    KK uses purple to probably get rid of yellow tiles or to make quick green matches (Carnage creates special tiles)
    **** uses green to bash entire enemy team (Carnage creates special tiles) or if the board is full of enemy special tiles, you can use Carnage's green to board shake for 651 to 10,416 to a single target (luck and tiles).

No one uses yellow in this team, so that can be eliminated using KK's purple to actually match green despite Hulkbuster's blue frying the green from the board to make red (or you can fire them concurrently to make even more red).

If you've got Starlord's Everyone With Me as a teamup, you can unload a huge combo in a single turn:

Carnage's Red for 5 Red AP.
    IMHB's Black for 9 Black AP (produces 9 Red AP)
    IMHB's Blue for 7 Blue AP (produces 7 Red tiles from existing Green tiles)
    KK's Purple for 6 Purple AP (produces 10 Green tiles from existing tiles of a single color)
    KK's Green for 10 Green AP or Carnage's Green for 9 Green AP.

For only 5 Red AP each, you could probably bank and fire off three of them for a total of 25,557.

No wait, because if you used HB's black ability first, you've got strike tiles out there. So 31,857 total damage. That's just with 15 Red AP (Nine that you got from using IMHB's Black, Six from matching) and 9 Black AP. You can probably do more if you also factor in the Blue/Purple/Green possibilities).

Without strike tiles:

1 2 3
    4903 1808 1808
    1808 4903 1808
    1808 1808 4903

8519 8519 8519 = 25557

With assumed 2x350 strike tiles in play:

1 2 3
    5603 2508 2508
    2508 5603 2508
    2508 2508 5603

10619 10619 10619 = 31857

You will also deal 1,808 to IMHB and KK from Carnage's maxed out Red. But KK will also heal back 905 health each time if she maxed out on yellow and at level 166. More if boosted. She will also heal the party for the Team Up ability, the IMHB Black, and any other moves used for the AP generation to fuel this combo.

Oh, and I totally forgot that you will also deal an additional 2,070 to whoever is left at the start of the next turn because you have 10 strength 137 Attack tiles on the board and ~700 damage worth of Strike tiles.

But yeah... totally going to get nerfed.