The Gauntlet - May 28 - June 4

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    joecoolmd wrote:
    Node 41: Fury, XF and Thoress. Any tips?
    I used Cyclops, Groot, Hood
    Took Fury first because IMO demolition is the strongest threat, then XForce, Thor

Thanks for the suggestion! I used Cap, Cage and OBW! Worked beautifully with very little damage.
  • Unknown
    Options
    DrNitroman wrote:
    joecoolmd wrote:
    Node 41: Fury, XF and Thoress. Any tips?
    Those three can hit hard... but are very slow to gather AP.
    I was surprised how efficient Cap/Hood/Loki were against them despites very low health of Loki and Hood: with two AP thiefs, you shouldn't see any enemy fire an ability!

Definitely this, that was pretty much my A-team for this event. Unbuffed, Steve's 166, Loki and Hood are 121. Once you've taken enough blue and start putting the blue protection tiles down (or even better, yellow), it doesn't matter what level Loki and Hood are. I got through that particular node with Steve losing about 3000 health. He tanked most of the nodes for Hood and Loki while they stole everything. They didn't get a single move off the whole time.

I went with Cage, Cap and OBW. Took very little damage. Thanks for your input!
  • Unknown
    Options
    So I suppose this tournament isn't intend for people who haven't been playing very long? I've been trying to level a handful of 2 stars up but the teams I'm given to fight for the first node in just the second leg of the tournament are 20 levels above my highest level powered up hero. I've made it to the 4th node, but I tired of losing over and over again. It really sucks being locked out of most of an entire event. Am I in some mid-game limbo where the matching system just doesn't know what to do with me? I would just play PVP to try and get ISO to level up, but the matches I'm getting there are ridiculous and I'm tired of losing over and over again. Sorry for the tirade, but I'm sincerely interested if there's anything I can do to get matched with fights that are around my level?
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    carcusgod wrote:
    So I suppose this tournament isn't intend for people who haven't been playing very long? I've been trying to level a handful of 2 stars up but the teams I'm given to fight for the first node in just the second leg of the tournament are 20 levels above my highest level powered up hero. I've made it to the 4th node, but I tired of losing over and over again. It really sucks being locked out of most of an entire event. Am I in some mid-game limbo where the matching system just doesn't know what to do with me? I would just play PVP to try and get ISO to level up, but the matches I'm getting there are ridiculous and I'm tired of losing over and over again. Sorry for the tirade, but I'm sincerely interested if there's anything I can do to get matched with fights that are around my level?
    I've been playing for 6 months, and I have a nearly-full 2* roster, and a transitioning 3* roster.

I'm stuck at the 20th node in the Gauntlet; you can see the play-by-play on my last attempt at it earlier in the thread. I'm not attempting it again because there's just no point. My roster simply can't beat it. And much like you, everyone in that node is ~20 levels above my non-boosted characters (and 40+ levels above my 2* heroes), and one of my boosted characters (2* Captain Marvel) is a hindrance in that node, not a help.

In the last run of the Gauntlet, I made it clear to the 32nd node, so despite my roster getting wider & stronger, I took a significant hit in how far I could progress.

The Gauntlet is meant to be hard, but this one felt a lot harder to me than the last one. I nearly got stuck on the 18th node (Doctor Doom) until I got a lucky board.

Bottom line: yeah, you're stuck, and yeah, I think D3 dropped the ball with this Gauntlet. A full or nearly full 2* roster should have a fair shot of getting to the end of the second sub, I think, but the 18th & 20th nodes are killers, and I've no idea what's past that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sorry to let you guys know but Gauntlet only gets harder as you get a better roster. It's designed that way. People with max 3* (max level 166) and 4* (max level 270) are facing level 395 foes. It's designed to be unfair. Usually the lower your roster, the better you do in PvE. Get all the covers you can but don't level anyone over 94-120 and you will kill it in PvE and eventually in PvP. Good luck!
  • Unknown
    Options
    joecoolmd wrote:
    Sorry to let you guys know but Gauntlet only gets harder as you get a better roster. It's designed that way. People with max 3* (max level 166) and 4* (max level 270) are facing level 395 foes. It's designed to be unfair. Usually the lower your roster, the better you do in PvE. Get all the covers you can but don't level anyone over 94-120 and you will kill it in PvE and eventually in PvP. Good luck!
    I've seen this arguement over and over again and the best way to describe it is this:

Yes, it gets harder as you level, but as you level your roster VARIETY AND STRENGTH goes up. For instance, anyone well a well covered Susan is PROBABLY not a low level player, so they had a harder time on that last essential.

The better prepared you are in MPQ means the better results you'll have. But 4* scaling is a bit icon_twisted.gif
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm stuck on the next to last essential. I nearly beat it the first time, barely losing after the end of a very long match. Played it at least 15 times since, and get wiped in the first 5 rounds every time. Any advice welcome, beyond the obvious - delete my entire roster, and the game from my phone, and find some other pastime that I actually enjoy.

This is the HB / IF/ Hood node.

I beat that node with LCap+Captain Marvel. IF's strike tile activates her yellow, giving you free red and black every turn.

You can then use Cap's red to kill Hood very quickly and keep stunning HB with Cap.Marvel's black. Focus mainly on collecting blue so you can keep Cap's blue going and never let HB get his turn. Or you can use Mystique's purple to stun and then black to deal heavy damage too.
  • Rockabilly Zombie
    Rockabilly Zombie Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have one node left. HT essential against Fury/PX/Thor. Any suggestions?
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have one node left. HT essential against Fury/PX/Thor. Any suggestions?

Beat it with Torch / Cage / OBW and Torch / IM40 / OBW without boosts so it shouldn't be that bad. Just deny blue.

Torch / LCap / Hood also works but you don't have an active purple (and hood tanks it) so careful denying Professor X and Fury.
  • minionruush
    minionruush Posts: 21
    Options
    noob to the site.. saved a ton of time with tips learned from here. thanx.

need help at sim 40 jugs/mystique/ares 210/211/211

roster most 2*s at max kamala 2/2/5 at 114 .. downed jugs and many times within a turn of downing ares.

starting to think I am done.. out of things to try. advise?
  • Unknown
    Options
    That last node (loki, she hulk & ultron) is a special kind of hell. Cant seem to beat it for the life of me. Cant get any offense going before loki does his mischief or she hulk zeros out your aps. not fun at all and should be revisited. Dont have deadpool so cant whale it. I dont mind a challenge and i dont mind a puzzle; but this node screams "hey empty your wallet out" to beat this.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Advice on IF, Hood, and HB? I wiped twice so far. Both times a cascade of purple benefitted them and IF and HB did me in.
  • dkffiv
    edited June 2015
    Options
    NCSTL wrote:
    That last node (loki, she hulk & ultron) is a special kind of hell. Cant seem to beat it for the life of me. Cant get any offense going before loki does his mischief or she hulk zeros out your aps. not fun at all and should be revisited. Dont have deadpool so cant whale it. I dont mind a challenge and i dont mind a puzzle; but this node screams "hey empty your wallet out" to beat this.

IW LCap MMags, boost +all +bp +yr if you can afford it. ~30-50% success rate when I tried it.
    joecoolmd wrote:
    Advice on IF, Hood, and HB? I wiped twice so far. Both times a cascade of purple benefitted them and IF and HB did me in.

Hulk/Patch, boost all + gb match damage and crit damage. (Kill IF first so that the attack tile goes away once you get berserker off)
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    carcusgod wrote:

20 levels above your highest level powered up hero is actually a reasonably fair fight, in game terms. In my run through the very first ever Gauntlet, I only had a 2* roster, with maxed 94s, and a couple powered up to level 150, I was able to complete the entire thing, facing opponents levelled up to about 220 (although I had to boost the entire third sub). With a current roster of 10 maxed 3*s, and a level 200 4*, my highest level opponents this time around are level 350, so if anything, the level disparity worsens as you progress in the game.

Raisin is right on the money, though, the Gauntlet, more than any other event in the game, rewards roster diversity and depth. If you have enough depth to be able to assess a node, figure out your colour coverage for best countering your opposing team, plus figure out the appropriate ability set to counter the enemy team's abilities, then you'll do just fine, for the most part.

The difficulty with being in 2* land is that there isn't sufficient roster depth there to provide you with the answers that you'll need to all these nodes, especially as this seems to be one of the more difficult Gauntlets I've played through. Most of your roster depth comes in 3* land. The same problem applies in part in 4* land: when the nodes scale to 395, 3*s tend to fold quickly, and there isn't sufficient roster depth available yet in 4* land to compensate for this. Also, the level disparity between a 4* at 270, and an exponentially powered up 3* at 395 is a lot more significant than it seems.

In other words, it sounds like you're being level matched appropriately in this Gauntlet, but it sounds like you probably don't have enough maxed 2*s to progress further yet (or transitioning 3*s). It will come with time - the Gauntlet really is designed to test people with fairly advanced rosters.
  • Unknown
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    NCSTL wrote:

IW LCap MMags, boost +all +bp +yr if you can afford it. ~30-50% success rate when I tried it.

Dude...that just beat it for me. Thanks so much for that....managed to get loki down relatively quick, shehulk next...then it was Lcap tossing his shields left and right. Was such a frustrating node, i think i wiped over 15 times to it.
  • wade66
    wade66 Posts: 212 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Just got anihilated by DP/Loki/Hood. Partially due to me being a dumb-**** and forgetting to NOT do the 4 matches a couple of times, but also due to a really awful board.

I didn't even *attempt* the previous one of Blade/Cage/Prime. Just whaled it, and even then that took me two attempts. I cannot see how it's possible to do that one legit without ridiculous luck. Or maybe Loki, actually...
    The Blade/Cage/Prime node I took out using Mystique/Thor/Hood myself.
  • Unknown
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    NCSTL wrote:

joecoolmd wrote:

Hulk/Patch, boost all + gb match damage and crit damage. (Kill IF first so that the attack tile goes away once you get berserker off)

Thanks for the advice. Alas! My Hulk is weak.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    NCSTL wrote:

I went with Hulk, IW and GSBW with boost black&green and boost critical 125%. Just keep matching green to activate Hulk's anger, then use GSBW's sniper rifle to kill everyone, as well as destroying any drop tiles. My order was Loki -> She-Hulk -> Ultron.
  • dkffiv
    Options
    joecoolmd wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    NCSTL wrote:

joecoolmd wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Alas! My Hulk is weak.

Cleared it with LCap MMags but it wasn't pretty. You basically need to start with a match 5 on red, blue, or purple and get Hood locked down or killed immediately. I tried LCap/LThor but its too slow. Xforce/4hor works but it sounds like you don't have 4*s. If you have a cover or two in Professor X's purple you can bring him and either Psylocke, Beast, or (preferably) 3* Storm. Get him invisible, get some attack tiles out and he can solo them.
    himatako wrote:
    NCSTL wrote:

I went with Hulk, IW and GSBW with boost black&green and boost critical 125%. Just keep matching green to activate Hulk's anger, then use GSBW's sniper rifle to kill everyone, as well as destroying any drop tiles. My order was Loki -> She-Hulk -> Ultron.

If Hulk is maxed their match 3 damage isn't enough to proc Anger, if they're making match 4's you're probably in trouble. IW also ends up tanking green if you have some levels in her.
  • Unknown
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    carcusgod wrote:

20 levels above your highest level powered up hero is actually a reasonably fair fight, in game terms. In my run through the very first ever Gauntlet, I only had a 2* roster, with maxed 94s, and a couple powered up to level 150, I was able to complete the entire thing, facing opponents levelled up to about 220 (although I had to boost the entire third sub). With a current roster of 10 maxed 3*s, and a level 200 4*, my highest level opponents this time around are level 350, so if anything, the level disparity worsens as you progress in the game.

Raisin is right on the money, though, the Gauntlet, more than any other event in the game, rewards roster diversity and depth. If you have enough depth to be able to assess a node, figure out your colour coverage for best countering your opposing team, plus figure out the appropriate ability set to counter the enemy team's abilities, then you'll do just fine, for the most part.

The difficulty with being in 2* land is that there isn't sufficient roster depth there to provide you with the answers that you'll need to all these nodes, especially as this seems to be one of the more difficult Gauntlets I've played through. Most of your roster depth comes in 3* land. The same problem applies in part in 4* land: when the nodes scale to 395, 3*s tend to fold quickly, and there isn't sufficient roster depth available yet in 4* land to compensate for this. Also, the level disparity between a 4* at 270, and an exponentially powered up 3* at 395 is a lot more significant than it seems.

In other words, it sounds like you're being level matched appropriately in this Gauntlet, but it sounds like you probably don't have enough maxed 2*s to progress further yet (or transitioning 3*s). It will come with time - the Gauntlet really is designed to test people with fairly advanced rosters.

I'm on the 18th node, and they are about 20 levels above my 3 powered up heroes, but I only have 4 or 5 covers for them, so they don't really hit hard enough to do any real damage. Also, I really don't have enough roster diversity within that 20 level difference range to do any good. My non-powered characters are mostly in the 60s and 50s, so a 60 or 70 level difference makes for some pretty tough fights. It's cool that there's a harder event for people that are into that and have better rosters. Perhaps the next event will be more favorable for the characters I've been able to get covers for. Thanks!