Changes To Scoring In Versus Events

Options

Comments

• grifterx777
    grifterx777 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Sorry, I don't know if this is the right thread to be asking this question. But is anybody else experiencing the wrong points available to win after beating someone? I took my shields down and queued up a couple of nice targets. One guy had 25 points available so I went for him. After the match it said +6. What gives? The next guy had 45 points! I attack him, win, and I get 17 points. Is this a bug?

No, it means that by the time you beat them, their score had dropped significantly from when you queued them up.

The points available from the win is loaded when you get assigned the matchup, not at the time you enter the node to look at the score.

So if they had 800 points when you first got assigned the matchup and you had 400, the match might be worth 50 points. If you then wait to attack them and go after another target or maybe quit playing for awhile (or shield and wait even longer) then the target that you have lined up may not be at 800 points. In fact, if they were sitting unshielded at 800 for any period of time, they probably were sitting at 500 or less. So while the score was calculated based on the difference between a 400 and an 800, the final result may have been based on two very different scores.

I see. Thanks for the info. Guess it's better to attack as soon as I queue them up.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Options
    traedoril wrote:
    It seems like it would be a vicious cycle of the same two people hitting each other repeatedly.

Yeah, that happens. A LOT! But hey, at "low" scores, say below 500, it can be profitable to both sides, since the hit you take on defense when retaliated upon is discounted to the ratio of your current score to 1000. Any retal up to 1000 turns a profit, but it becomes vanishingly small.

If your retal "partner" isn't aware of the game, they may decide you're a jerk, tho. And if either side can't keep up, it no longer benefits the player with the higher score.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    I see. Thanks for the info. Guess it's better to attack as soon as I queue them up.

Or to queue them up closer to when you plan to attack them.

Like if you are planning on who to attack when you drop your shield, plan it around the time you are going to attack, not around the time you put your shield up.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks to the changes to scoring I reached 1000 in Cpt Marvel PvP and grabbed a 4Thor cover! icon_e_biggrin.gif

It's a big change for me because before this very last change I have stopped trying for high scores in PvP. It was so tedious.

For this Pvp, I try to enter very early and pass 300 at the beginning. Today, with 24h left, I climbed just above 800, shielded for 3h to replenish healthpacks and finally made my final push.

The shield prevented me two attacks and nearly 90pts loss so it was useful. During my final push I lost 60 pts in one attack. Fortunately, there was no other attacks. However, it was a bit hard to find opposing teams that I could defeat without too much health loss.

Now I stay unshielded because I won't spend on a 24h shield. 30 minutes later I already have lost 185 pts in four attacks. But I'm glad to exchange my rank against the 4* progression reward. I'll try to climb again a bit tomorrow of course but without stress icon_razz.gif

Edit: Obviously, I'd like that the 4* cover stay at 1000 because if the progression rewards are raised again I may stop trying again... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DrNitroman wrote:
    Thanks to the changes to scoring I reached 1000 in Cpt Marvel PvP and grabbed a 4Thor cover! icon_e_biggrin.gif

It's a big change for me because before this very last change I have stopped trying for high scores in PvP. It was so tedious.

For this Pvp, I try to enter very early and pass 300 at the beginning. Today, with 24h left, I climbed just above 800, shielded for 3h to replenish healthpacks and finally made my final push.

The shield prevented me two attacks and nearly 90pts loss so it was useful. During my final push I lost 60 pts in one attack. Fortunately, there was no other attacks. However, it was a bit hard to find opposing teams that I could defeat without too much health loss.

Now I stay unshielded because I won't spend on a 24h shield. 30 minutes later I already have lost 185 pts in four attacks. But I'm glad to exchange my rank against the 4* progression reward. I'll try to climb again a bit tomorrow of course but without stress icon_razz.gif

Edit: Obviously, I'd like that the 4* cover stay at 1000 because if the progression rewards are raised again I may stop trying again... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Glad that's all worked out for you. I tried to go for 1k. nothing but retaliations (shoving me from 23-68th) so i can never get above 1k. So the rule still stands: is you don't have a squad of 200+s don't bother. I'm def with you on that last point. I fear they will reraise the 4* cap again because of this.

So all in all Its pretty much more of the same. only with the meta shuffled around a bit. Looks like ill be back to not bothering with pvp again. thank god for the DDQ's. or i don't think i would ever play this game icon_lol.gif
  • Enoc99
    Enoc99 Posts: 141
    Options
    I think that this point change is one of the best improvements to the game I have seen in my time.

Being able to get a single 4* cover each PvP makes a transition to 4* characters actually feasible. Currently, only the top few get access to 4* covers, but this way those of us who are solidly in the 3* camp can make progress towards eventually getting 4* characters.

I personally hope that they do not change the progression thresholds back, because this has made PvP so much more fun for me than it was previously. I have spent more in hero points than I regularly do to ensure that I hit 1000 both times, but it is worth it to me.

Previously I used to look at the 4* covers and think that I will have to settle for just sticking with 3* characters (which is fine, because 4* are not significantly better than 3*, unlike how much better 3* are than 2*), but without the option to keep progressing, I had lost interest in the game. I took a couple months off, and I came back last month to see how things had changed. Now with this change, my interest is reinvigorated!
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Enoc99 wrote:
    I think that this point change is one of the best improvements to the game I have seen in my time.

Being able to get a single 4* cover each PvP makes a transition to 4* characters actually feasible. Currently, only the top few get access to 4* covers, but this way those of us who are solidly in the 3* camp can make progress towards eventually getting 4* characters.

I personally hope that they do not change the progression thresholds back, because this has made PvP so much more fun for me than it was previously. I have spent more in hero points than I regularly do to ensure that I hit 1000 both times, but it is worth it to me.

Previously I used to look at the 4* covers and think that I will have to settle for just sticking with 3* characters (which is fine, because 4* are not significantly better than 3*, unlike how much better 3* are than 2*), but without the option to keep progressing, I had lost interest in the game. I took a couple months off, and I came back last month to see how things had changed. Now with this change, my interest is reinvigorated!

i say we see 6000 pt 10 packs very very soon (next season)
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It seems to me that this change has significantly reduced the difficulty of traveling from 0-->900 points.

However, getting from 900-->1000 is as difficult as it was before, if not a little bit more so.

First all, matches take longer these days, so the risks of any shield jump are much higher. 3-match hops are almost always net-negative in the last 24 hours of any event. Additionally, losses are larger. It's true that wins are larger as well, but 900+ is the crossover point where losses start to come in much faster that wins (60 point losses are much more frequent as high scores are both very attractive to later-starting vets and high scores are universally visible). Finally, as has been the case ever since cooldowns were introduced, finding decent targets is still quite hard because everyone spends almost all their time above 850 or so shielded. That means that above 900, you are faced with a cycle of about 5 25-35 point nodes. And any losses you incur are likely to be 50 points or more. And you only have time for one or maybe two matches each hop. In these last two events, getting to 1k has been more about the luck of finding a high-enough value target, rather than any element of gameplay skill.

Also, the 800+ space is way more crowded then before. This is good for the game overall since it makes the 3* cover significantly more attainable (remember when less-than-optimum 3* rosters struggled to reach 800 in PVP and the 3* cover was at 1100?), but it is bad for placement. I think 1100 may become the new normal for top 25 (an increase of 300-400 points).

Not sure yet if these changes are net-positive for the game overall, but it seems like a worthwhile experiment.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DrNitroman wrote:
    <snip>
    Glad that's all worked out for you. I tried to go for 1k. nothing but retaliations (shoving me from 23-68th) so i can never get above 1k. So the rule still stands: is you don't have a squad of 200+s don't bother. I'm def with you on that last point. I fear they will reraise the 4* cap again because of this.
    It's the first time I try 1000 with the recent changes. So I don't know if I was incredibly lucky to have only one retal during my 800 to 1000 climb. My team was 270XF/240/Cap/190cptMarv: I hoped it was strong enough to slow down retal.... but as I said, above 1000 noone was afraid of me! icon_e_wink.gif
    Trying 24h before the end might have helped?
    Enoc99 wrote:
    <snip>
    I agree, I'm not a great fan of competitive play but now that I'm a vet with a deep 3* roster, the transition to 4* is the main thing that keeps me motivated!
    Vhailorx wrote:
    It seems to me that this change has significantly reduced the difficulty of traveling from 0-->900 points.
    However, getting from 900-->1000 is as difficult as it was before, if not a little bit more so.
    From my experience, it was way easier to climb to 800, less fights needed. However, it seems difficult to climb from 0 to 800 in one streak with the same team and with only 5 healthpacks because each fight against some buffed characters is potentially damaging. Therefore, even if less fights are needed, it's better to plan these fights over a longer period (24 or 48h).
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    DrNitroman wrote:
    From my experience, it was way easier to climb to 800, less fights needed. However, it seems difficult to climb from 0 to 800 in one streak with the same team and with only 5 healthpacks because each fight against some buffed characters is potentially damaging. Therefore, even if less fights are needed, it's better to plan these fights over a longer period (24 or 48h).

True, but the equilibrium point has also crept back up above 600, so climbing from 0-800 in two or three play sessions is way more realistic than it was when the equilibrium point was 450 or so.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It's way too easy to get 1K now but since there are also way too many 4*s out there like someone pointed out in the new 4* thread I guess this sort of balances out because now it's much less likely you'll get any particular 4* you're looking for even if you can get 1K every event.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    DrNitroman wrote:

True, but the equilibrium point has also crept back up above 600, so climbing from 0-800 in two or three play sessions is way more realistic than it was when the equilibrium point was 450 or so.
    ? I got pushed down to 400 every time unshielded
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This new change to PVP has resulted in the most points I've ever been able to get, but also the worst finishes I've had in quite a few seasons. I get more rewards per event, but am now missing out on 3* covers and HP. Not liking the trade-off too much. Last season, I could push to the top 10 and wake up to still be there or in the top 25. Now, I've gotten to the top 30 just to wake up to a loss of over 100+ points and out of the top 100. VERY frustrating! I'm not going to start spending money on buying shields, so I guess it is what it is. My aim this season was to hit 4k without the Simulator, which I'm right on point to do, but I find myself hating the increased loss in points after working hard for them. In other words, I miss the PVP system from last season icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,512 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    DrNitroman wrote:

? I got pushed down to 400 every time unshielded

Your roster will have a pretty big affect on your equilibrium point - as does the time you're playing and the time within the event (how close to the end, particularly.) Speaking for myself, it definitely has gotten higher, possibly way higher. For the Falcon PVP I made it to the low 900s and only got hit once - but I suspect I made that last gap quickly enough that I passed the equilibrium point then shielded. In Captain Marvel, I shielded in the high 800s the hopped to my highest score to date.

Formerly I would generally get hit around 700, sometimes a bit lower. For reference, I have a very sold 3* roster, but only one usable 4* (X-Force.)

I suspect that the equilibrium point is somewhere in the mid to high 800s for me.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Options
    So far, so good. It seems this new system will make my road to the legendary 10 pack less stressful. I will definitely consider playing PVP more. However it feels weird loosing so much point on defense, especially when you're defending against multiple opponents in the time it takes you to go through one game.
    slidecage wrote:
    i say we see 6000 pt 10 packs very very soon (next season)

I'll be more cynical, more 10 packs on the market means more people needing roster slots icon_e_biggrin.gif .
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lee T wrote:
    I'll be more cynical, more 10 packs on the market means more people needing roster slots icon_e_biggrin.gif .
    If I can keep hitting 400 points with loaners (did it again today), I'll be able to buy another roster slot this season icon_e_smile.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    It's way too easy to get 1K now but since there are also way too many 4*s out there like someone pointed out in the new 4* thread I guess this sort of balances out because now it's much less likely you'll get any particular 4* you're looking for even if you can get 1K every event.

What does "too easy" mean? I have felt for a long time that 4*s were much too hard to get relative to their strength. I thought that was the consensus. Are you if the opinion that 4*s are appropriately priced?
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Lee T wrote:
    If I can keep hitting 400 points with loaners (did it again today), I'll be able to buy another roster slot this season icon_e_smile.gif

1 roster slot per season.

Something seriously wrong with that.

Wait, how often are characters released? icon_neutral.gif
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

What does "too easy" mean? I have felt for a long time that 4*s were much too hard to get relative to their strength. I thought that was the consensus. Are you if the opinion that 4*s are appropriately priced?

I hit 1159 without using a shield. So yea 1k is really easy now. The flipside is placement is a little tougher. Finished 1227 and 13th.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think they just figure out a way to make more money then they make on health packs.. now your FORCED to buy a sheild if you want to Keep your top 100 ranking.

turn screwed up PVE and now they screwed up PVP.... 7 months here and i think its almost time to pack it up and find a new home

Not paying 75 coins for a sheild for a 25 coin reward
This discussion has been closed.