Changes To Scoring In Versus Events

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Can we get any changes that help specifically 2*-3* transitioners? I hated the idea of the weekly character buffs before they came out and that got confirmed as soon as I had to face (the same)level 150s in every...single...match(CStorm is buffed? Sweet! Oh wait, she only has 4k health and now face tanks everything!). With this change, so far all I've seen is more consistent 30 point teams, with random impossible 50 point teams, but now shutdowns happen when 3 people attack me instead of 5+. Last night was a perfect example of how everything can go wrong.

The new boosted points for wins helped me get higher than I've ever achieved before, 725 points. I was doing alright with retaliations, only a few slowing me down, and with 800 so close, I found a team for 45 and went all in. I came out at 630 points. After waiting on med kits, I went back in at 490, only got as high as 650 before losing another 80 points. As I was now fighting for top 150, I just gave up for the night without shielding.

I try to finish top 100, which should be a realistic goal as a transitioning player with a few level 120s, as I actually need the covers. My ELO/MMR/whatever had decayed when I stopped playing for 8 months or so, and I was finally put in leader boards with all other 2*-3* transitioners and I was able to put in work to actually get rewards. After getting top10 in 3 events, I started considering myself lucky to face off against people that only have a page of max level 3*s. Mostly I don't understand why I'm not only having to fight people 3-5 covers and 40+ levels ahead of me at the 3* level, but I also get to deal with 450+ other people capable of earning close to 2x my point cap. I shouldn't be pulling full 166s from round 1, and I certainly shouldn't be showing up to as many of them as I am, as I'm a free win for them. But hey, at least now I'm also always dealing with boosted level 150s to start that can take more from me than I can earn.

I've done pretty well with what I have and I'm not saying the game should bend over for me or anything, but all the changes recently seem to be iffy, while I love the idea of climbing to progression (theoretically) faster, the losses seem to be a little out of hand, unless I'm just that unlucky.

/whining
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This new scoring in PVP is brutal. I tried a lightning round for the first time since the change and every single defensive defeat I had cost me 44 points, exactly. I never saw a match over the initial 38 point game against the seed teams (the retaliation nodes against the teams that beat me were all sub-30 point matches), so while I once peaked above 150 points, I ended up around 30 total points once all was said and done. While lightning rounds have always been "hit 100 and then lose a lot" for me, this was more brutal than most. Hopefully regular PVP is more forgiving.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not a fan of the scoring changes. The high scorers are scoring higher, pushing the 3* placement rewards that they don't need out of the reach of the people who need them.

I didn't enjoy PVP for a long time. DDQ helped me build my 3* roster, and with boosted characters, last season was my favorite season. I felt the joy of PVP. I hit over 600 each PVP and if I really needed the placement rewards, I shielded at the end.

Then they changed the scoring mechanism. I didn't boost, I didn't do anything to deserve my defensive wins being taken away. I didn't do anything deserving of losing more points due to attacks.

I'm F2P, and though I score slightly higher on my initial run, which I have to do early so I can actually find teams I can beat, I only ever get into the 700's before I run out of health packs. Don't have HP to shield considering the cost of Roster Slots that I need (have several characters in queue I just don't have room for). By pushing early to get teams I can beat, I get some progression rewards, but not the 800 or 1000, still out of reach for me. But now, if I don't use multiple shields for a day and a half, I play the yo-yo game. I get dropped to below 400 from attacks, and for me, the retaliations are not possible as the teams that beat me are maxed teams for some reason. I then try for the next day and a half to get back up to the progression, but get beat back down again. I haven't placed top 100 yet for any PVP since they changed the point structure. I'm back to feeling exactly how I felt before the MMR changes and everything that made last season so enjoyable. I am not having fun. Since scaling pushed me out of PVE, PVP was where I started spending my time. So now aside from DDQ and my initial push until health packs run out... there is nothing for me to do in the game anymore.

I see a lot of my alliance mates hitting 1K progression for the first time consistantly, but they have better rosters than I do and they want those 4*. It seems backwards to me that now, the people who need the 3* rewards seem to be able to get 4* progression but not the 3* top 100 rewards, instead of the 3* reward easier to get and the 4* difficult.

Oh well, I will continue to play this season, but if it continues at this pace, I will likely not play next season. In Summary, it's the huge amount of points lost and the max teams I come up against when I have only 1 character at 166, and the increased points everyone is pushing that pushes me out of T100, that are sucking the fun out of PVP for me... Again.
  • Grantilis
    Grantilis Posts: 22
    Options
    One thing I am trying to figure out is why I get attacked by the same person multiple times (ie 8+ times). This is against a person that I have no way of fighting back and winning, so while I am attempting to regain my lost points this person is just leeching my score up to the top. where is the fairness in this?
  • Unknown
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    Not a fan of the scoring changes. The high scorers are scoring higher, pushing the 3* placement rewards that they don't need out of the reach of the people who need them.

I didn't enjoy PVP for a long time. DDQ helped me build my 3* roster, and with boosted characters, last season was my favorite season. I felt the joy of PVP. I hit over 600 each PVP and if I really needed the placement rewards, I shielded at the end.

Then they changed the scoring mechanism. I didn't boost, I didn't do anything to deserve my defensive wins being taken away. I didn't do anything deserving of losing more points due to attacks.

I'm F2P, and though I score slightly higher on my initial run, which I have to do early so I can actually find teams I can beat, I only ever get into the 700's before I run out of health packs. Don't have HP to shield considering the cost of Roster Slots that I need (have several characters in queue I just don't have room for). By pushing early to get teams I can beat, I get some progression rewards, but not the 800 or 1000, still out of reach for me. But now, if I don't use multiple shields for a day and a half, I play the yo-yo game. I get dropped to below 400 from attacks, and for me, the retaliations are not possible as the teams that beat me are maxed teams for some reason. I then try for the next day and a half to get back up to the progression, but get beat back down again. I haven't placed top 100 yet for any PVP since they changed the point structure. I'm back to feeling exactly how I felt before the MMR changes and everything that made last season so enjoyable. I am not having fun. Since scaling pushed me out of PVE, PVP was where I started spending my time. So now aside from DDQ and my initial push until health packs run out... there is nothing for me to do in the game anymore.

I see a lot of my alliance mates hitting 1K progression for the first time consistantly, but they have better rosters than I do and they want those 4*. It seems backwards to me that now, the people who need the 3* rewards seem to be able to get 4* progression but not the 3* top 100 rewards, instead of the 3* reward easier to get and the 4* difficult.

Oh well, I will continue to play this season, but if it continues at this pace, I will likely not play next season. In Summary, it's the huge amount of points lost and the max teams I come up against when I have only 1 character at 166, and the increased points everyone is pushing that pushes me out of T100, that are sucking the fun out of PVP for me... Again.
    join late
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    snlf25 wrote:
    I have a team perfectly suited for the Falcon event. Fully covered Falcon, fully covered and 166 Captain Marvel and Lazy Cap on PED so I decided to go for it. I was doing this between 1 and 3 AM figuring that is when I'd have my best shot. I was around 650 points when I made my final push which was super easy to hit. Got up to 940 and started getting and ended up back in the 700 range because I was out of health packs. Waited a bit to get a couple and surged back up to 875. Decided to buy 5 packs. got to 978, fought one last battle which should have put me over 1000. Somebody had hit him while I was fighting him so I got stuck at 999! Bought two more health packs and swapped out Carol for Thor and passed the mark ending at 1032 and getting my first StarLord. Didn't care about placement so I didn't waste money on shield with a little over two hours left in my slice. I woke up this morning to find I'd finished with 638 points. I didn't keep exact numbers so my best estimate is that I had to earn 1400 or so points to end with 638. I only had two defensive wins in the entire event for a paltry 35 points.

So my observations one event in:

I can do it, given the right circumstances and the willingness to spend between 300 and 500 hero points. Spent 300 this time.

Loses on defense are too costly and I believe this effectively ends the ability anybody had to finish "above their weight class" I used to pull top 100 wins when I was a two star all the time. I don't know if that would even be possible now. Three loses can cost 150 points now. It will be really interesting to see how lower powered rosters do and if 2* to 3* transitioners will still be able to place and earn season 10 packs.

Seems like the glass ceiling just got lowered for people not willing to spend on health packs. Going to be a lot harder to retain points from this point forward but it's easier to hit progression hp rewards now so maybe that will help wash it out.

The last hour or two of every event will be an absolute feeding frenzy and I bet while median and average scores go up less people will be able to hold on and get the 1000 point progression. I would not have had a chance in hell even if I spent a million dollars if I hadn't done it in the dead of the night because with elevated health and boosted characters you can't earn anywhere remotely as fast as you lose.

Been without internet for a few days but been playing using mobile data and wireless at work.

Fly-Fight-Win
    Scored 1034 points, only spent 75 hp on one shield and 50 hp for one health pack. Earned my first blue Lady Parts Thor, have her at 1/1/1. Shielded at 10th place with 1h 36min to go, finished 11th. Only got attacked twice on the last day so this was super easy, probably because I have a maxed out 3* Captain Marvel.

Stay on Target
    Just finished up. Scored 1019 points, shielded with 7h 48 min to go. Only spent the 150 hp or whatever it cost for the 8h shield. Won my X-Force green, 8th cover, 3/2/3. This one was tough as nails. I conservatively estimate that I scored 2200 points to break 1000. Made do with LThor Lcap and my level 76 Bullseye. I'm in 12th place now and unless some kind of horrific disaster happens I will wake up to my 13th rocket/groot cover, 3/5/5 which is how I wanted to finish them.

Thoughts:
    The new scoring system is a lot more volatile, and I was able to pull off the hat trick due to having buffed Lcap mostly. I spent only hp I had acquired from ddq and progression prizes and I've used up all my 10% damage boosts and stockpiles but it was worth it. I spent $0 real money. I doubt I will be able to pull it off once LCap's buff wears off but it was fun.

525 total Hero Points spent on three events, three 4* covers earned - my first three 1000 point progression prizes ever, all stockpiles and 10% damage boosts expended, several thousand iso spent on skips and boosts, hell of a lot of fun having the feeling the elites have earning those rewards for the first time. Gotta recharge now, get all my boosts and hp back up.

I like this change! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:
    join late
    When I try that, I get no seeds and I hit the wall sooner than when I join earlier and I actually hit less progression. The transitioning rosters seem to join earlier, and they are the ones I have a shot against. I might try it again though after the Groot PVP, since he is my only 166, I may do fairly well in that one.
  • Unknown
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:
    join late
    When I try that, I get no seeds and I hit the wall sooner than when I join earlier and I actually hit less progression. The transitioning rosters seem to join earlier, and they are the ones I have a shot against. I might try it again though after the Groot PVP, since he is my only 166, I may do fairly well in that one.
    Yesterday a bunch of people got into the top5 doing so. They climbed to 900 at the 7-6 hour mark and floated until the 2 hour mark more or less, then climbed to 1200 and shielded once. This happened on at least a couple shards. Maybe all of them.
    I leisurely climbed to 1.2k at the 7h mark from 0 points and shielded for the rest of the event, got 8th. Mikeng took 1st at 1.5k but the cutoff for t5 was 1400, which I could have easily gotten in a couple hops.

So in my experience, provided you don't join early, it takes about the same amount of hp to top5 as it always did, maybe less.

You'll hit the wall almost immediately regardless of what happens, but with the 1k progression being like 15 fights away, it really shouldn't ever matter.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1k 1 shield what's not to love?
  • OnyxSnake
    OnyxSnake Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options
    Today was the first time I've ever hit 800 in PVP!
    it felt like I'm finally moving forward as I was stuck at 550-600.
    I know I'm not getting any extra wins than before but I know that 1000 points is only a few fights away instead of never gonna happen.
    I joined with 3:30 hours left and walked away t50 with the 800 points reward as well. Might be a fluke but I nearly did it on the last PVP but I didn't have enough time only started 2:30 before the end.
    I didn't buy any shields but I did need extra health packs but the event reward plus progress ones paid for themselves.

Edit:
    Almost paid for themselves.
    PS I love the new points system!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well I can say that this change has me playing again. After the last scoring update I had just about quit. So I'm for keeping it in place.
  • Deathclaw
    Deathclaw Posts: 59
    Options
    They forgot the part where iOS players cannot score points. Thats a pretty significant change to scoring as well...

Pros:
    Nobody is retaliating at all, since I never attack, and after the last PvP I couldn't play in, I lost a total of 0 points, which is great.

Cons:
    I can't reach the 1k reward no matter how hard I try, as every match crashes, so is 0 points. No matter how many 0 point matches I can't play, I don't seem to be able to take advantage of the new system.

(I really want to play this game, please fix it!)
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Scoring better but less consistently placing than last season. Used to get a cover sometimes two in most events depending on how popular the cover was up for grabs. Only placed t100 once this season. So the scoring change has not worked for me.

Well into the 3 star transition but under levelled so once I am visible I seem to get multiple attacks at once with no time to respond and quite often lack the means to respond. This defensive win change has really not helped also. Last season defensive wins would often offset some of the attacks.

Don't know why they had to nerf defensive wins. If I understand it correctly and people were manipulating the system by attacking alliance mates they could of blocked intra alliance's attacks instead.

Never understood why you can even attack someone you are allied with.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Guess it's working for some. My problem is still coming out of a match winning 30 and losing close to 100. This happens every time, without fail, if I cross 700.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got hit with zero losses playing all the way up to 800, #40. Decided to take a chance and not shield for the last 5 hours of the event to see where my 199 R&G, 150 Wolvie, 150 Daken would end up. Got knocked down to 450 and 250th place icon_lol.gif

Oh well, no SG green for me today.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Taganov wrote:
    Guess it's working for some. My problem is still coming out of a match winning 30 and losing close to 100. This happens every time, without fail, if I cross 700.

You gotta stay out of the top 25-50 until your final climb. I was having the same luck until I figured it out. Icarus factor with the new system is much more pronounced.

Rocket and Groot event:

Won my 1000 point black Elektra, only spent 150 hp for an 8 hour shield, shielded at 10th with 1013 points and 5h 40min left. Placed 14th got my two Squirrelly Girlie covers and recouped 50 hp. So, basically 4 top 25 and 1000 point progressions achieved in a row. I doubt I will make it this time because my Squirrel Girl is sub par. I have 8 covers for her but my iso well is dry and I just didn't have it in me to level her like I want to. Bringing her up to level 70 sucked me under 10k iso which I don't like to drop below.

I am going to try to hit 800 points so I get my 9th cover for her and have her 3/3/3. I will be happy with that. I'm not going to use any hp or rare boosts in the event.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mr_X wrote:

Don't know why they had to nerf defensive wins. If I understand it correctly and people were manipulating the system by attacking alliance mates they could of blocked intra alliance's attacks instead.

Problem with this solution is it's not just alliance mates high scorers are coordinating with. You have multi-tier alliances, and then you have sub-pacts between multi-tier alliances. You can't stop them all.
  • Unknown
    Options
    **** this system so hard. I hate, hate, hate, hate it so much. Unless you're a seasoned vet or a p2w player, there's no benefit from the old system. Defensive wins getting only half as many points as the losses I take from players ranked higher with more points is awful.

Example: I just got a defensive win against someone with 422 points. Got 11 points for winning. Lost 30 from the guy who beat me with 555 points. I went from 600 to 480 in 15 minutes when I went to the bathroom. And this isn't the exception. It's just how it is now. And I already want to quit playing PvP.

If people are going to try and organize each other to boost, sandbox them temporarily. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Have some common sense, D3
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mr_X wrote:
    Scoring better but less consistently placing than last season. Used to get a cover sometimes two in most events depending on how popular the cover was up for grabs. Only placed t100 once this season. So the scoring change has not worked for me.

Well into the 3 star transition but under levelled so once I am visible I seem to get multiple attacks at once with no time to respond and quite often lack the means to respond. This defensive win change has really not helped also. Last season defensive wins would often offset some of the attacks.

Its not just alliance mates, most top alliances have arrangements with other alliances
  • Unknown
    Options
    mr_X wrote:

Its not just alliance mates, most top alliances have arrangements with other alliances
    574eapN.gif
This discussion has been closed.