Changes To Scoring In Versus Events

Options

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    snlf25 wrote:
    The other significant advantage to giving someone a chance to shield is that you don't give them a retaliation node if you beat them when they're shielded.

I never noticed that. Thanks.
  • MyFeetStink
    MyFeetStink Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    This is more of a general explanation that a direct response to your post, but it's the opposite, actually. These events go better when people wait a bit before attacking, at least in terms of people getting progression awards.

If you wait a few minutes before attacking high point targets, you give people a chance to shield. Hits on shields bring more points into the system. Points trickle down. Without high scorers, brackets dry up.

I climb just fine by cycling through my targets. If I queue a 60+ point target, I'll leave that node alone and do my other two fights before coming back to that node. If you cycle through your nodes like that, you give people a chance to reshield, and everyone benefits. Once it gets rolling, it doesn't even slow you down. You're still going straight from one fight to another, but there's a two-fight buffer of courtesy and friendliness in front of you.

This season thanks to the point changes and a finally maturing roster I have been able to hit 1k in each PVP event, then shield up for the reminder. I personally am not going to ranking, just progression. It seems that once I hit over 1k anyways that is putting me in top-25 so I can get two 3* covers anyways so I am fine with that.

Playing at this higher level is new to me, and some of what you describe is not something I have been aware of. I simply have been finding a team I can beat with good points and hitting them as fast as I can. I can't afford to be too picky, as while I have some maxed 3*s I don't go deep enough to have maxed boosted characters all the time and I don't have any usable 4*s. Once I hit over 900, I pretty much have to take what I can get or settle for a 15 point fight.

Is there any thread that has these sort of general rules of thumb for politeness when playing at higher score values? These might be obvious to some vets, but to those of use new to this level its not so much.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This season thanks to the point changes and a finally maturing roster I have been able to hit 1k in each PVP event, then shield up for the reminder. I personally am not going to ranking, just progression. It seems that once I hit over 1k anyways that is putting me in top-25 so I can get two 3* covers anyways so I am fine with that.

Playing at this higher level is new to me, and some of what you describe is not something I have been aware of. I simply have been finding a team I can beat with good points and hitting them as fast as I can. I can't afford to be too picky, as while I have some maxed 3*s I don't go deep enough to have maxed boosted characters all the time and I don't have any usable 4*s. Once I hit over 900, I pretty much have to take what I can get or settle for a 15 point fight.

Is there any thread that has these sort of general rules of thumb for politeness when playing at higher score values? These might be obvious to some vets, but to those of use new to this level its not so much.

Not that I'm aware of. The above playstyle is widespread, but not universal. You'll get a feel for it as you play more.

If you reach the point where you're only seeing 15 point hits, and you're willing to spend HP on a shield, you can often cycle through targets periodically during the duration of your shield to try to find better targets. You can check the top 10 in your bracket to see if any are unshielded, and try to skip to find them, and then hold that queue for later when your shield is about to drop. Checking for targets as you climb gives you only the current pool of unshielded players. Checking periodically during the duration of a shield increases the chance that you'll find a higher-value target, and you're not exposed so you don't feel pressured to take the first decent match that comes along.

Hitting targets worth less than 38 points (the points for an even-value match) is risky, because you're leaving them with a retaliation node worth more than 38 points. A 15 point fight, even if you win, will leave behind a very juicy retaliation node for that player. Unless you're trying to scrape together the last few points to reach a progression award, or you're about to shield, I'd strongly recommend avoiding 15 point fights.
  • Unknown
    Options
    udonomefoo wrote:
    I get this and will try to wait more when I am making a run, but my only problem with it is that the points don't update from when q'd. So whenever I get a juicy target I'm thinking - will this 65 point target be worth 35 by the time I come back to it? That's probably only relevant if I'm playing right at the end though.
    If you can talk to them you can ask how high they are and choose if you want to keep the q. Just saying =]
  • MyFeetStink
    Options
    If you reach the point where you're only seeing 15 point hits, and you're willing to spend HP on a shield, you can often cycle through targets periodically during the duration of your shield to try to find better targets. You can check the top 10 in your bracket to see if any are unshielded, and try to skip to find them, and then hold that queue for later when your shield is about to drop. Checking for targets as you climb gives you only the current pool of unshielded players. Checking periodically during the duration of a shield increases the chance that you'll find a higher-value target, and you're not exposed so you don't feel pressured to take the first decent match that comes along.

Hitting targets worth less than 38 points (the points for an even-value match) is risky, because you're leaving them with a retaliation node worth more than 38 points. A 15 point fight, even if you win, will leave behind a very juicy retaliation node for that player. Unless you're trying to scrape together the last few points to reach a progression award, or you're about to shield, I'd strongly recommend avoiding 15 point fights.

Thats good advice on checking the top-10 for unshielded players. I have been using shields (I am almost ashamed to say how much, as I know I am not playing optimally) but in general I have been queuing up targets towards the end of the shield. Otherwise what was happening was I would have what would look like a nice juicy 50+ point match and then I would only get 12 points from it after I attacked. Looking for top-10 players is a great suggestion and should have been obvious to me.

My approach has been to push to around 700 or so and sit there until about 1d5h to the end. Then I would push as hard as I could and shield for 8 hours. Toward the end of that, break and try to get the 1k mark, then shield for 24hours. I find that if I am unshielded in the final 24 even for a hop I am torn up. a maxed IF and cage seemed to help that some, but not enough that I could keep up with the losses. The problem I am having with this approach is that as I am pushing early it can be hard to find decent point targets as I am normally in the top-10. Where I do find good targets its something like a maxed hulkbuster/IF combo that I can't take on.
  • Unknown
    Options
    speaking of scoring changes...anyone else get matches with wrong points this pvp? and I don't mean stale outdated nodes, I mean brand new ones that are giving completely wrong points from what they say they're worth.

example: I skip until I find a guy that says he's worth 46. This was the highest I could find at the time so I immediately attack him and win. I get 25 points afterwards. I figured oh well he must have just got attacked a bunch of times, but then I start looking again and there is the exact same guy again with 40 something points on him again. I beat him again and get another low 20s amount of points in return. To make matters worse he then hit me back for 60 because I had attacked someone so low that I would never have touched or been seen by ordinarily.

another person in my alliance is telling me basically the same story right now too, except they won to find the guy was actually only worth 6.

please someone look into this soon, this is not good. (yes I'll make an official report of it too)
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Options
    speaking of scoring changes...anyone else get matches with wrong points this pvp? and I don't mean stale outdated nodes, I mean brand new ones that are giving completely wrong points from what they say they're worth.

example: I skip until I find a guy that says he's worth 46. This was the highest I could find at the time so I immediately attack him and win. I get 25 points afterwards. I figured oh well he must have just got attacked a bunch of times, but then I start looking again and there is the exact same guy again with 40 something points on him again. I beat him again and get another low 20s amount of points in return. To make matters worse he then hit me back for 60 because I had attacked someone so low that I would never have touched or been seen by ordinarily.

another person in my alliance is telling me basically the same story right now too, except they won to find the guy was actually only worth 6.

please someone look into this soon, this is not good. (yes I'll make an official report of it too)

This isn't a new problem, just magnified by the scoring change. My ally mates and I were watching the spectacle of a player who had piled up a massive score (1600+) fall all the down to the 700s (either he screwed up his shield timing, overslept, or got bit by the 24hr shield bug...?). We continue to see him in our qs for 70+pts.

It's still just a stale q (continuing to reflect an estimate based on their score when you first qd them), combined with a broke q. You're not getting fresh information from the server. You're just getting that old q back again and again. Like an echo. Or a ghost. Same problem that enables players to hit the same target repeatedly like a machine gun.
  • Unknown
    Options

Thats good advice on checking the top-10 for unshielded players. I have been using shields (I am almost ashamed to say how much, as I know I am not playing optimally) but in general I have been queuing up targets towards the end of the shield. Otherwise what was happening was I would have what would look like a nice juicy 50+ point match and then I would only get 12 points from it after I attacked. Looking for top-10 players is a great suggestion and should have been obvious to me.

My approach has been to push to around 700 or so and sit there until about 1d5h to the end. Then I would push as hard as I could and shield for 8 hours. Toward the end of that, break and try to get the 1k mark, then shield for 24hours. I find that if I am unshielded in the final 24 even for a hop I am torn up. a maxed IF and cage seemed to help that some, but not enough that I could keep up with the losses. The problem I am having with this approach is that as I am pushing early it can be hard to find decent point targets as I am normally in the top-10. Where I do find good targets its something like a maxed hulkbuster/IF combo that I can't take on.
    I did that for a long time until I got a solid high level roster. Now I climb late in the last day and spend one 75hp shield or at most two. Feels good.
  • Unknown
    Options

Actually i did experience it in the blade pvp. I thought the same as you, i.e. my targets were getting hit at the same time and losing points. My 40 point matches were ending worth low 20s. One match ended up being 15 points! But, after a number of matches it resolved and towards the end of the event, it was back to normal
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options

This isn't a new problem, just magnified by the scoring change. My ally mates and I were watching the spectacle of a player who had piled up a massive score (1600+) fall all the down to the 700s (either he screwed up his shield timing, overslept, or got bit by the 24hr shield bug...?). We continue to see him in our qs for 70+pts.

It's still just a stale q (continuing to reflect an estimate based on their score when you first qd them), combined with a broke q. You're not getting fresh information from the server. You're just getting that old q back again and again. Like an echo. Or a ghost. Same problem that enables players to hit the same target repeatedly like a machine gun.

I know exactly who you are talking about. He got hit with the shield bug. If I was him I would have taken a screen shot of the -900 to quiet the people complaining about losing 200 with a lower level team
  • aesthetocyst
    Options

I know exactly who you are talking about. He got hit with the shield bug. If I was him I would have taken a screen shot of the -900 to quiet the people complaining about losing 200 with a lower level team

Convey to him my condolences. I hope he put in a ticket. Ironically, I was hit with same bug at the same time icon_lol.gif

I didn't have as far too fall and already had all progressions, and was able to salvage a decent finish (ultimately only lost a net -152 after scambling back (and burning HP to do so)) ... but dang it, I had an unbroken top 5 streak going! Grrr.
  • MyFeetStink
    Options
    So tonight I was at 951, with 6 hours left to go in the PVP. I go ahead and break shield as I queued up a 62 point fight and figured a quick hop and re-shield, and yippie I have progression done.

I do the fight, win and get the points as expected, but then see I get put to 981. Turned out while I did that fight I got hit once. Well, I had a 32 point fight queued, so I do that one really fast, win, and then I see this:

y07zJXw.png

Well that sucked. I won pretty quick, and I was using a maxed cage and IF with 164 (boosted) spidey.

There goes my progression for this one as there is no way, but I figure what the hell I have all health packs so I will go for climbing a touch. Do two more fights, win them all, but after each one I see I get hit for two more losses in that time. So screw it, done on this one.

I love the point changes, but this one hurt. No idea what happened. I dunno if I made someone mad or what, but damn that was rough.

Ouch. At least it was just kingpin.

I need to pick better slots....
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    JEEBUS!!!?!?!?! That's insane.
  • Sword user
    Sword user Posts: 72
    Options
    So tonight I was at 951, with 6 hours left to go in the PVP. I go ahead and break shield as I queued up a 62 point fight and figured a quick hop and re-shield, and yippie I have progression done.

I do the fight, win and get the points as expected, but then see I get put to 981. Turned out while I did that fight I got hit once. Well, I had a 32 point fight queued, so I do that one really fast, win, and then I see this:

y07zJXw.png

Well that sucked. I won pretty quick, and I was using a maxed cage and IF with 164 (boosted) spidey.

There goes my progression for this one as there is no way, but I figure what the hell I have all health packs so I will go for climbing a touch. Do two more fights, win them all, but after each one I see I get hit for two more losses in that time. So screw it, done on this one.

I love the point changes, but this one hurt. No idea what happened. I dunno if I made someone mad or what, but damn that was rough.

This happened to me tonight almost the exact same way. I was 945 and fought a quick battle, and when I came out I was 220 points poorer. It was just too much, and the just kept coming, I went from ~950 to 550 in 20 minutes. (most of that was right away, then it wasn't worth reshielding).
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sword user wrote:
    This happened to me tonight almost the exact same way. I was 945 and fought a quick battle, and when I came out I was 220 points poorer. It was just too much, and the just kept coming, I went from ~950 to 550 in 20 minutes. (most of that was right away, then it wasn't worth reshielding).
    Do not, I repeat, do _not_ unshield in the final 8 hours with a "weak" roster at 900+ points.
    Or at least don't do more than one fight.
    And with weak I mean anything that does not include a maxed boosted char and/or a high level featured.

There are so many teams of maxed featured/Fistbuster or at least maxed 4thor running around that anyone running anything else will get destroyed in 5 minutes within the final 8 hours when many people are climbing to shield.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Options

y07zJXw.png

may people thought this would happen with the new change. the new system is only as good as long as you can continue to grow with the hits, but once you go negative it nose dives quick to the point of frustration
  • aesthetocyst
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Sword user wrote:
    Do not, I repeat, do _not_ unshield in the final 8 hours with a "weak" roster at 900+ points.
    Or at least don't do more than one fight.
    And with weak I mean anything that does not include a maxed boosted char and/or a high level featured.

There are so many teams of maxed featured/Fistbuster or at least maxed 4thor running around that anyone running anything else will get destroyed in 5 minutes within the final 8 hours when many people are climbing to shield.

To add emphasis, in those last hours there are hundreds of players in each slice working their qs like mad and hitting anything tasty on sight. They are trying to climb as high as possible as fast as possible. If you have hopped beyond your weight, you'll know it and quick if you stick a toe out!
  • MyFeetStink
    Options
    Yeah, I think the big lesson to me on this one is if I don't get a chance to shield up with a final score before the last 12 hours, don't bother playing anymore yet. I have some maxed 3*s that I am working on, but I don't roll deep enough to have the featured items maxed.

I likely will slow down how much I play as well. I was pushing for 1k per event and spending too much HP on shields to do it. I will just stop, and save my money.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wonder what they are going to drop on us next season?
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    I wonder what they are going to drop on us next season?

Isn't that why we keep playing? For new, fresh and exciting content? icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Every season brings new challenges icon_e_wink.gif
This discussion has been closed.