Avengers vs Ultron event info

Comments

• puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    If I were in your situation, I'd probably ask the alliance what their preference is until we know if people can keep grinding after round 8 is finished. My preference would probably be for people to back off once they get their million, but other alliances may not want to risk things slowing down too much. I'd also say, the closer the alliance is to finishing round 8, the more likely you can stop grinding.

My commanders has asked members to stop grinding after the million mark is reached (I'm leading the alliance at 1.2 million points). Ultron is down to 19%; with 2 days left I certainly don't need to push anymore. icon_cool.gif
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    I'm in a casual alliance with a real mix of rosters/experience. We decided to give it a go for the Ultron event. We've been debating having our top scorers slow down, but we still have 1.2M on 7 left and since I can't see the scores of the bottom half of the alliance I have no idea how they're doing or how close they are to making a real dent in 1M. So we have to keep pushing and many of them will probably lose out.
  • puppychow
    mouser wrote:
    Goobady wrote:
    Has anyone finished round 8? Can you continue grinding it after his health is 0? I'm at 1 million so I got the last prison reward and my alliance just opened round 8 but I'm not sure if I should keep grinding or if I'll take away other people's progression rewards.

We've finished round 8, and as of right now no we cannot continue grinding.

Keeping fingers crossed a new bracket will spawn at 8PM EST to let those of us that haven't reached 1M yet keep grinding.

It's already 8 pm est. what's the status?
  • lockness
    lockness Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    eaise wrote:

1. can't see the bottom ten members of your allience, thus you can't really see who is actually contributing or is a deadweight.
    Proposed Solution: Show all twenty members in the score

2. The essentials for the nodes... more or less guarantee no participation for a moderately new player (less than 2 months of playing)
    Proposed Solution: Node requirements should be 1x 1star, 1x 2star, 1x3star, 1x4 star, 1x featured 3star
    You can probably do some other variation but having four nodes needing 3 star characters, basically mean anyone who isn't moderately along the 2 to 3 star transition is ruled out

3.The ultron enemies are way too strong having just passive abilities, it causes no end of cascades, which in turn rules out any for some strategy for a lot of characters that depend on strike, protection, attack tiles. or Ap denial. So you are left with just straight damage heroes else you don't bother taking them. In fact the Ai causing multiple cascades per turn is very demoloralising to play against. Doens't matter if you win or not... when it keeps happening due to AI passive abilities causing endless cascades, you get the picture... ITS NOT FUN!
    Proposed Solution: Turn at least one of the abilities for ultron enemies to one that needs AP, to fire.

1. Agreed. This needs to be fixed. Being a commander is difficult when you don't know who you need to motivate.

2.Every PvE has essentials, this PvE can still be played without them. And a good portion of the essentials have a 1* or 2* varient that can be used. Requiring a 4* would make the situation worse not better

3. The new goons aren't that hard to fight. Their abilities only activate under certain conditions. Click on them during a fight and learn them. I also suggest bringing a someone that can make protect tiles

The devs did a great job making a new and cool event. Yes it's different than what we are used to...But that is what makes it so cool

I just discovered this today when I was playing, but you can use any variant for the essential character nodes. For example, the node that requires Iron Man, you can use either 1* or 3* version to play the node. Same thing with 2* Cap or 3* Cap and other characters with counterparts. I hadn't realized this until today. Did anybody know this? Or was I just slow to catch on?
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    puppychow wrote:
    mouser wrote:
    Goobady wrote:
    Has anyone finished round 8? Can you continue grinding it after his health is 0? I'm at 1 million so I got the last prison reward and my alliance just opened round 8 but I'm not sure if I should keep grinding or if I'll take away other people's progression rewards.

Keeping fingers crossed a new bracket will spawn at 8PM EST to let those of us that haven't reached 1M yet keep grinding.

They didn't pop back up for us icon_e_sad.gif

Slow down and spread out the points, guys.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Ludaa wrote:
    puppychow wrote:
    mouser wrote:
    Goobady wrote:

They didn't pop back up for us icon_e_sad.gif

Slow down and spread out the points, guys.

Oh boy. This brings another dimension to cooperation in the alliance
  • puppychow
    Well, on the bright side my alliance now has 9 members breaking 1mil. Since I have to sit on my hands at 1.2 mil points until round 8 ultron is cleared, I can go do some matches in pve and pvp that I originally didn't plan on doing.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    We're in round 8 and Ultron has 3.8 million health left. The problem is only half the alliance can reliably do a full clear of the nodes and 9 of them shld have/hit 1 million soon. Slowing down is a tricky thing to do
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    They should probably do something about that because it basically pits you against your own alliance to reach 1m before the event closes.
  • The event structure has a ton of potential in removing some of the grindiness from the pvps.

Granted the layouts are very simple since it's a rinse and repeat with little story but not having to do 6 full clears of subs at the end of each is a huge huge huge improvement. I wish they'd fix what's clearly a bug - final sub disappeared with more than 2 days left basically screwing half of the alliance out of a chance at progression. I would have been a lock too but I guess we're at the mercy of the devs and their decision whether to give the players what they deserve because of a developer error.

All in all, it felt a lot less grindy and a lot less tied to playing at an exact time which is an enormous bonus.

Now if only those goons were tuned a little better so you could use the other half of your roster to fight them
  • puppychow
    puppychow wrote:
    Well, on the bright side my alliance now has 9 members breaking 1mil. Since I have to sit on my hands at 1.2 mil points until round 8 ultron is cleared, I can go do some matches in pve and pvp that I originally didn't plan on doing.

While doing some last minute shield sim heroics at 3 am this morning, I noticed that round 8 ultron was down to 12,000 health. Just one hit and he's gone, along w/ the rest of the nodes in AvU event. Unfortunately the 10th highest scorer was 160k or so away from reaching 1 mil, meaning he had no shot at breaking the mark. So I decided to down the big fella and let the alliance focus on taking the final Scarlet Witch cover instead. So 9/20 broke 1 million mark. Good thing progression is for a lousy QS cover, which like everyone in the group already got. icon_e_wink.gif
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would like to know if they devs plan on making any changes between run 1 and run 2. We need to coordinate so as many as possible can reach 1 mil
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    I would like to know if they devs plan on making any changes between run 1 and run 2. We need to coordinate so as many as possible can reach 1 mil

Hopefully with information like "It will be the same". Some alliances might go in with only 15 people if that's the case. But if they add new levels of Ultron, or change tiers of progression, or change amounts of Ultron points/health - any of those changes will mess up those smaller alliances and alliance timing.
  • ShanePHallam
    ShanePHallam Posts: 94 Match Maker
    I liked the event for a one off. Def. was an alliance element and felt a bigger scale the first time around not knowing how difficult the final few rounds would be. I liked the puzzle element of Ultron and the sentries even had that puzzle element of who to kill first strategy to decide to eliminate special tiles or keep them. They were annoying, and should be such. It would have been nice for the whole alliance to be able to get the progression rewards, probably my only major gripe. Other than that, I liked it myself.
  • puppychow
    The problem w/ having only one shard (no ability to choose starting time) is that many players aren't able to participate in the opening rounds and accumulate points. I managed to surge in the middle rounds on the strength of my diverse roster, but 99% of the player base don't have the ability to do that.

Assuming that new IM event will carry a similar structure, I think commanders should consider starting the new event w/ less than 20 players, set the alliance to private, and then see who else should be invited in to get the hulkbuster covers. Also, I wouldn't be surprised it SW is offered as progression rewards in place of Qs.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    More back of the napkin math. Using the old infographic here: http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/2/689307 ... os-android, and assuming absolutely no change. Not overly realistic, but it's what we have to go on.

Assume a PvE has 144k players. At 1000 per bracket, that's 144 brackets, but there are half full ones and stuff so call it an even 150 brackets.

So typically they hand out 1500 of the 'top' cover, 7500 of the 'middle' cover, and 24500 (individual + 20 members x top 100 alliance) of the 'bottom' cover.

To mirror those numbers, that's at least 1225 alliances that need to clear round 6, 375 clearing round 7, and 75 clearing 8.

That tells me that an above average number of players will get all 3 covers from the event, but a (well) below average number of players will get 1 or 2.

I don't really have a point. I was just curious what the numbers looked like.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, it's now past 4pm in the One True Time Zone, on a Monday, and not one of the guys from Demiurge has posted today (except Will posted something completely unrelated).

Not one comment on server problems, or anything else of concern since Friday evening.

I thought there'd be something.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Moon Roach wrote:
    So, it's now past 4pm in the One True Time Zone, on a Monday, and not one of the guys from Demiurge has posted today (except Will posted something completely unrelated).

Not one comment on server problems, or anything else of concern since Friday evening.

Me too. I'm surprised there wasn't at least an acknowledgement of the issues at launch and that they're discussing it. This radio silence is frustrating.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Moon Roach wrote:

Me too. I'm surprised there wasn't at least an acknowledgement of the issues at launch and that they're discussing it. This radio silence is frustrating.

They're probably waiting for the dust to settle on this one before saying anything and see how it all shakes out. They could also be figuring out what led to the server issues specifically, how they can avoid going forward, etc.

I used to work for a Free to Play game publisher and they were always SUPER tight lipped until they had everything understood, language vetted, etc. in place. It is a business after all and they need to protect themselves legally first (even in the face of terrible user experience & bad PR).
  • Moon Roach wrote:

In all honesty, they try to ostrich their way through problems and hope that they go away while their heads are buried in the ground. The silence is business as usual.