Best There Is - PvP tourney

Options

Comments

• Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ideally I would like if they just let you build 5/5/5 and then you select 2 covers which you want to "disable".
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Twysta wrote:
    Ideally I would like if they just let you build 5/5/5 and then you select 2 covers which you want to "disable".

Yeah, but the overwriting old covers makes d3 potentially more money.
  • windfallstar
    Options
    Alright, ended up 12th I think, possibly 13th if someone finished a match in the last few seconds. Spidey is now sitting nicely at 3/3/3 so I can't complain too much.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Roster (have snapshot, how I can attach it?)
    [img]http://somefreeimagehost.net/image_you_uploaded.jpg[/img]

I think you need to stick it on a free host first - haven't verified, but don't think the board supports uploading from your local drives.
    Twysta wrote:
    Hmm weird.

On another note I always feel quite satisfied when I put my shield up and a string of attacks comes up on my screen.
    It always reassures me that I've spent my HP well and I didn't just waste it!

Just wish people would lose to my teams more.
    I only get 1 or 2 defensive wins per tourney icon_e_sad.gif
    Patch always seems to get a lucky win or two on defense. Also fast losses. That's kind of his thing: someone's going to die quickly, it's just a bit of a coin-toss who. Punisher still seems to be in with a chance, for some reason, possibly involving the AI getting lucky and using Retribution when it should, or simply that he has three quite low-cost skills and one of them is on black. Mostly, I think if you want to sit back and collect progression awards for doing nothing, you'd need to tank so you're a pretty bad mismatch for most who can see you, but not so bad they won't try. There was a thread before about possible bait teams that are intended to look easy but will sneak up and win at people sometimes.

Got top 15, I would imagine at 15th, for another blue costing net 25HP. This encourages future shielding at clearly borderline ratings, which will doubtless lead to tears, but happy enough with it for today.
  • 2014_02_08_00001.jpg

So this guy could gain 560 points and oscillate 20 to 10 positions in this tournament where everyone else was running 85 Vol** (ok, saw some 77-ish) or 50+ patch with fair satellites.
  • Damn, wanted 3 Thors, but got a Spidey (yeah, first world problems). 275 points are enough to place in top 45? I'm startled.
  • It seems to depend very heavily on your bracket. I got Top5 with 612 points, others in this thread mentioned missing Top 15 with more than that
  • Of course it does, but i thought having 297 points with 8 hours to go, there would be others passing and/or attacking me.
  • Of course it does, but i thought having 297 points with 8 hours to go, there would be others passing and/or attacking me.
    Sub-300 you won't get attacked that much late on unless your team's crazy easy to beat for your MMR, because everyone can see the open players at four or five hundred who are worth more. That's why staying at four or five hundred unshielded has become so difficult.

I'd still agree that's a really low top 45. I've done that by accident myself, but only by grabbing the 50HP progression fairly late so there ended up being not enough time to fall back to the 3x2* I was after.
  • Damn, wanted 3 Thors, but got a Spidey (yeah, first world problems). 275 points are enough to place in top 45? I'm startled.

Yep, there was insane fight for top15 (blue cover) was around 540 in my bracket, but the next tear was way below in points. (Fun fact -- I abandoned the 2nd Punisher tournament as all the kitties were dumped on us, with just the first few games in -- and it still produced 3 Thor covers and 50HP.)

It seem brackets pick up too many people who play just few games and leave at that.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Sub-300 you won't get attacked that much late on unless your team's crazy easy to beat for your MMR, because everyone can see the open players at four or five hundred who are worth more. That's why staying at four or five hundred unshielded has become so difficult.

"Difficult"? Well, unless you're one of those lvl20 phantoms I find it outright impossible -- the usual **** of no progress and steady drop if you take even 5 minutes break. Lost count how many times I tried to break the 500 barrier being hit for more than gain with steady fast-paced play on 22+ pts matches only.

(OTOH I did manage 2 hood covers without any shielding... the power of "don't care either way really" icon_e_wink.gif )
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Damn, wanted 3 Thors, but got a Spidey (yeah, first world problems). 275 points are enough to place in top 45? I'm startled.
    In my bracket, I barely maintained top 45 with 452 (went under a shield at the end).
  • Veracity wrote:
    ]Sub-300 you won't get attacked that much late on unless your team's crazy easy to beat for your MMR

Well, my Patch is only at 60 and my MMR is pretty high, but since I don't use Thor, I can wait to build him up again.
  • Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Damn, wanted 3 Thors, but got a Spidey (yeah, first world problems). 275 points are enough to place in top 45? I'm startled.

In my bracket when 3'5h were left to the end of the event I was being hit hard at 500-550 points (4th position). below me in 8th position there was a guy with a rooster way worse than mine and he was doing ok, he eventually ended up in a better rank. I manage to maintain around 450 points and shield at 3h to be top 15th.

I monitored the rankings of my bracket and I can't understand how I was being hit so hard (wolve 2* 85; OBW 77; ares 67) and people around me with worse roosters (Iron Mans 1* 50? come on!) were doing fine and maintaining their position without being shielded.

I had to skip like 10 times in a row to get an oponent that gave me 25+ points, so at least if he retaliates he doesn't destroy my ranking getting me -30+... It's the only "but" i have on this tournament, if there were a "tax" for skips i would have won so litle ISO... I hope they fix this. But at least I had fun being able to compete again in an Event, I've been unable to place top 50 in the last 2 weeks due to **** PvE events with 230 minions, and some PvP events that i couldn't be competitive due to low lvl champs.
  • Vohnkar wrote:

In my bracket when 3'5h were left to the end of the event I was being hit hard at 500-550 points (4th position). below me in 8th position there was a guy with a rooster way worse than mine and he was doing ok, he eventually ended up in a better rank. I manage to maintain around 450 points and shield at 3h to be top 15th.

I monitored the rankings of my bracket and I can't understand how I was being hit so hard (wolve 2* 85; OBW 77; ares 67) and people around me with worse roosters (Iron Mans 1* 50? come on!) were doing fine and maintaining their position without being shielded.

I had to skip like 10 times in a row to get an oponent that gave me 25+ points, so at least if he retaliates he doesn't destroy my ranking getting me -30+... It's the only "but" i have on this tournament, if there were a "tax" for skips i would have won so litle ISO... I hope they fix this. But at least I had fun being able to compete again in an Event, I've been unable to place top 50 in the last 2 weeks due to tinykitty PvE events with 230 minions, and some PvP events that i couldn't be competitive due to low lvl champs.

They have very different (much lower) MMR rating than you, so the pool of opponents they're much with are very different from the ones you face.

By using the skip function a lot and "cherry-pick" opponents people are driving their MMR rating much higher than their roster level is supposed to be at, often resulting in constantly matched to much higher level opponents until they lose a lot of battles and their MMR drops down again. The new no-skip bonus and skip tax is a way the dev's are introducing to discourage the use of the skip function and keep people from having abnormal MMR for their character levels.
  • I find that there's actually a very distinct cutoff at around 500 where the moment you cross it, you end up getting hammered by everyone and loses way more than you gain. That is, suppose I'm sitting at 500, I can actually go for a while without being attacked with my team. I'm guessing the guys who are capable of beating my team are also sitting at around 500, and they don't want to risk the retaliation. But the moment I go to say, 550, they'd take the chance because I have more points than they do, and I can easily end up losing 100 points for going over 550.

So if you're not going for a top 15 or better finish, sometimes it's better to do nothing and sit at around #25.
  • Got 1st with 800 points. Kinda feel bad though, all I needed was the yellow IW cover. Fighting for 1st was quite interesting this time, somehow a guy with lvl60+ rosters made it to 700+ points and took 1st place from me with about 30 minutes left in the tournament. Had to break shield and attack to reclaim 1st, we swap position a few times and use shields. Down to 5 minutes left, we broke shield and did one last attack to reclaim/secure 1st place. I came up on top and he loss almost 100 points. Having mid level covers with a lot points, puts a big target on his back. It was quite fun, it reminded me of Rag LR before the Rag nerf.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I find that there's actually a very distinct cutoff at around 500 where the moment you cross it, you end up getting hammered by everyone and loses way more than you gain. That is, suppose I'm sitting at 500, I can actually go for a while without being attacked with my team. I'm guessing the guys who are capable of beating my team are also sitting at around 500, and they don't want to risk the retaliation. But the moment I go to say, 550, they'd take the chance because I have more points than they do, and I can easily end up losing 100 points for going over 550.

So if you're not going for a top 15 or better finish, sometimes it's better to do nothing and sit at around #25.

I experienced this just below 500, I tried to reach that height with the usual more loss than gain.

I think I did sit around that #25 gaining attacks from both directions. And the retal system is f-d up for these events still so could not even get the easier point as jump-start.

(Btw tried some fights with lvl34 X-Force, one one, then lost the other miserably -- hoped to photo-finish with X-force still standing and got the AP for ability -- it summoned the 9 swords alright but they turned out 7! ****. Even daken would make them 3-4 times as big. For 0 AP not 15).
  • Phantron wrote:
    I find that there's actually a very distinct cutoff at around 500 where the moment you cross it, you end up getting hammered by everyone and loses way more than you gain. That is, suppose I'm sitting at 500, I can actually go for a while without being attacked with my team. I'm guessing the guys who are capable of beating my team are also sitting at around 500, and they don't want to risk the retaliation. But the moment I go to say, 550, they'd take the chance because I have more points than they do, and I can easily end up losing 100 points for going over 550.

I can concur with this observation.

I can generally hide from the high-level masses reasonably well... until I break that 500 barrier (for that reason, I like to hide in the 490s until ready to make a push for a final position in a tourney). The moment that happens, the matchmaking systems starts letting me see literally everyone up the ladder from that point onwards. I tend to start seeing people with 800-900+ points quite quickly, but at around 500 points are not worth the effort. At around 600 points, players become meaty enough for both the lower-ranking teams to feast upon as well as for the high-ranking teams to rack up 15ish points or so if they know that the 600 point team cannot realistically beat their roster of 100+ 3*s.

I watched with fascination last night as a 1* newbie roster, who lead my bracket all tournament and never shielded, got eaten alive in the last few hours once his score allowed him to be visible to others. Tried as he might, every time he tried to break the 700 point barrier and reclaim first, he would get destroyed as soon as he reclaimed enough points to become visible to the higher tiers. Over and over again until the tournament ended...
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Yeah tried to do just that and stick around top 20 to get a single purple Spidey cover, but still got kicked out of top 45 in the *very* last minutes. You know, the usual deal of -100 in less than 5 minutes. And it's not like my team is too weak to defend; during the tourney's run it could rack up defensive wins, if not very often.
    I'm telling you many people behave very unsportingly and specifically leave high point battles for the very last moments; maybe abusing the trick that notrack described. I would never understand such people, but oh well, I'm at the stage where even 3 Thor covers are great enough.