*** Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) ***

Options

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am looking over quicksilver and I am kind of meh on him. I think when he is featured and you and the AI hav his blue it will b a race to who can make the third blue match. If he is on your team alone he is going to be slow if it is a blue free board. A shame since he is so fast
  • One interesting side effect of Quicksilver is that this puts Force Bubble Crush as doing a minimum of 2X2156 to team assuming the implementation of IW's skill is still functionally the same. Otherwise, you'd be better off just flushing the bubbles with Quicksilver instead of ever using any of IW's skills, and it takes two moves to do damage with Force Bubble Crush hence the X2. Anything less than this and you'd never crush the bubbles in the first place.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Seems like a fairly heavy handed adjustment on those abilities.
    He seems kind of slow now.
  • Obviously this character was originally designed to be someone else (Mr. Fantastic maybe) but then Orders came down that Quicksilver needed to be added immediately so they just grabbed this already designed character, renamed the abilities, then released it as quicksilver.
    Does anyone actually think any of these abilities sound like a speedster at all. He's slow to get going and once he gets going if anyone makes a 5th blue match he goes back to being really slow again.
    I guess it's not a huge deal because even though he's slow and weak he should be a fun support character for easy PvE nodes.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Okay I played an actual game with him. The tiles he had locked down are NOT destroyed on the 5th match, so no chance for cascades. 2 star storm is better than him except for her health. Very disappointed. The only thing that could redeem him is some awesome syngery with a reworked IW or Scarlet Witch whenever she is released. I only played goons so far, and even against them he was useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZBmwUzeR_U
  • Should have known to not get excited about a cheap tile swap ability. oh well.
  • Thanks for the nerf. I was wondering if I should put any effort into getting him in pve.
  • Any ability that benefits from a condition that decreases cost isn't going to be very good to use immediately, otherwise it'd be way overpowered when you do get the -4 AP bonus. The old version is too powerful at the -4 AP level but this version seems to be too slow to use. It'd make more sense if the character had a tank level HP so that the said character can survive long enough to collect the AP and wait for the right conditions. As a compromise maybe they should meet halfway and make it something like 8 AP min 6 AP. It seems like they're really fixiated on the 'minus 4 AP cost' but that's just too much of an amount to balance around I think.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Terrible cover art.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great! They also nerfed Quicksilver into Slowpoke just before release icon_razz.gif
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    turul wrote:
    Great! They also nerfed Quicksilver into Slowpoke just before release icon_razz.gif

Haha, He truly is the slowpoke of MPQ.

Quicksilver: "Hey guys check me out! I've got a rare active black ability and the new tile locking just like a 4 star!"
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    only team i could see him being remotely useful with would be mystique and daken (which would be a super squishy team). Black, slow doesnt do much damage, targeted swap is an interesting feature (feels like it should be more like cap red/blue where more covers means it goes from basic, special, all tiles). Blue, decent aoe damage for a passive which could possibly fire on turn 3, also kinda ruins the board with locking useless team up tiles. Green, slow, low damage with a crit tile.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This guys sounds...not fun. Like, not fun at all.
  • notamutant wrote:
    Okay I played an actual game with him. The tiles he had locked down are NOT destroyed on the 5th match, so no chance for cascades. 2 star storm is better than him except for her health. Very disappointed. The only thing that could redeem him is some awesome syngery with a reworked IW or Scarlet Witch whenever she is released. I only played goons so far, and even against them he was useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZBmwUzeR_U
    That is so...so slow. I mean maybe if you play him with patch and blade or something? But by the time you fill up the board with strike tiles, which aoe skill wouldnt suddenly look good. I'm at a loss here, I can't see any way to use him
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
  • Despite having the name 'quick' on his name his skillset makes a lot more sense if he was a slow going tank, but I guess that wouldn't make sense so they didn't go that path. Originally with the skills at what they are you'd pretty much just immediately blow away your opponents once exactly 4 bubbles are on and that'd be too good/easy so that was nerfed. Now you probably won't even have the AP ready before the first set of 4 bubbles stay on the board so you're probably supposed to collect AP until the second set of 4 bubbles is up, which would take an average of 63 matches (earliest second set of 4 bubbles can be up is after 9 blue matches) or 15-30 turns (using 1-2 match per player) and that's not including what if the bubbles got popped and that's way too slow for a guy with only 6800 HP. If they don't want to revise his skills the easiest way would be to give him Thor level HPs even if that makes no sense whatsoever, because he needs that much HP to last that long to use his skills for the second set of bubbles on the board.

If 9-4 is too fast and 11-4 seems obviously way too slow, what about 9-3? 8-2? Or even 6-1?
  • 9-4 is much slower than 6-1. Just sayin'.

I kinda liked him the way he was before the change, a LITTLE slow to get going, but if you focused green/black and let the enemy make a couple blue matches you could get a bit of decent damage in. At old levels and cheapest costs his tile swap ability was 330 damage per AP plus probably 3-4 match 3s and/or 1-2 match 5s. So MAYBE 400 damage per AP. And that's with a lot of set up time. Now it's just junk. Once again we point out synergy with Charles Xavier and a guy gets immediately ****. Maybe it's Charles blue you should be looking at, not anyone with any kind of tile manipulation what so ever.

His green is just ugh. RANDOM crit tiles? Plus why doesn't he have 4.5x crit if this is his thing? I see he's lost his second crit tile and his second tile swap as well. 6 AP for 1800 damage plus one random crit tile? Not a good ability. Even if you give the benefit of the doubt and say the crit generates 800+ damage, that's still only barely 400 damage per AP and that's at it's minimum cost.

I thought Quicksilver was supposed to be quick. Instead he takes at LEAST 3 turns to get anywhere, and that's if the enemy matches nothing but blue while you take black or green. The only reason I'd even take Black/Green covers at this point is to level him to 166 for his blue. x/5/x, does not even matter anymore for his build. He went from mildly interesting support character to ... uninteresting roster spot hog.

Also, I think these "pre release" character leaks are huring morale around here. Especially with last minute changes going on.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    9-4 is much slower than 6-1. Just sayin'.

I kinda liked him the way he was before the change, a LITTLE slow to get going, but if you focused green/black and let the enemy make a couple blue matches you could get a bit of decent damage in. At old levels and cheapest costs his tile swap ability was 330 damage per AP plus probably 3-4 match 3s and/or 1-2 match 5s. So MAYBE 400 damage per AP. And that's with a lot of set up time. Now it's just junk. Once again we point out synergy with Charles Xavier and a guy gets immediately ****. Maybe it's Charles blue you should be looking at, not anyone with any kind of tile manipulation what so ever.

His green is just ugh. RANDOM crit tiles? Plus why doesn't he have 4.5x crit if this is his thing? I see he's lost his second crit tile and his second tile swap as well. 6 AP for 1800 damage plus one random crit tile? Not a good ability. Even if you give the benefit of the doubt and say the crit generates 800+ damage, that's still only barely 400 damage per AP and that's at it's minimum cost.

I thought Quicksilver was supposed to be quick. Instead he takes at LEAST 3 turns to get anywhere, and that's if the enemy matches nothing but blue while you take black or green. The only reason I'd even take Black/Green covers at this point is to level him to 166 for his blue. x/5/x, does not even matter anymore for his build. He went from mildly interesting support character to ... uninteresting roster spot hog.

Also, I think these "pre release" character leaks are huring morale around here. Especially with last minute changes going on.

Yeah, I noticed some of the values I picked wasn't a good idea. I think they're too obsessed on this having 4 bubbles for -4 AP thing. It's kind of like how Psylocke is probably balanced assuming you can somehow get Psychic Knife for 6 AP (5 AP isn't good because it won't create a new strike tile) even though this very rarely happens. I think some combination of 8-9 minus 2-3 AP should work and yes that means the 4th bubble has no benefit. So what?

A random crit generates generally at least 2 random AP and that's a fairly bad outcome. Usually it has a very good chance of being flipped into match 4. Both of his abilities are surprisingly decent board manipulators so going down to 5 AP, let alone 5 AP while creating 2 crits/2 swaps is probably not happening, but they shouldn't start out in 4 match territory either.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, that just ruined a character that didn't seem overly powerful, but fun.
  • I'm just glad this "yoink!" mentality wasn't around when they designed Blade.