*** Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) ***

Options

Comments

• Howzat
    Howzat Posts: 31
    Options
    I really like that blueflag.png and it seems perfect for Iceman (blue matches become frozen). Really misplaced design if this does turn out to be
    Quicksilver

blackflag.png & greenflag.png seem to be deliberately underpowered on the basis they could only cost 5 AP, but i'm not sure banking the AP in those colours for multiple hits whilst trying to accumulate 4 locked tiles would really pay off.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    atomzed wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I think you're right. But I also think they knew Daredevil was coming, they knew Age of Ultron was coming, Professor X wasn't tied to a tie-in, Kamala Khan might not have been, and they could have rearranged the schedule so that the gaps were maybe a bit shorter than usual, but not three characters in a row, with the first coming in an incredibly grindy event.

I definitely agree with you that with better planning, there shouldn't be back to back character release....

Now if I put the "white knighting" hat, I can imagine a few scenarios why they can't or didn't do that:-
    1) the contract specify that they *have* to release one new character every alternate week. Tie-in release are not included in the scheduling.

2) marvel studio decide which character to release, and they don't decide until very late. But once they made the decision, D3 only have 1-2 weeks to pump out the character to meet the tie-in deadline.

3) they are planning a huge event for Avengers 2, and they absolutely have to pump out the essential characters. The missing characters are SW, Quicksilver and maybe vision. The characters skills and pictures need to be approved by marvel, and they don't have enough lead time to do so.... So they have to release the characters back to back.

If I take on the "pitch fork" mode, then the explanation I have about D3 decision is that:
    1) they enjoy seeing us grind and hence are malicious.
    2) they enjoy seeing the forum complaints and hence are malicious
    3) they are running a social experiment to see how much pain can the player base take before attrition, and hence are malicious scientists.
    4) they realised they need to cut out the veteran population, so they are releasing back to back characters to drive out the vets.

Well, take your pick. White knight helmet or pitch fork.

If they are under contract they could just as easily do the following:

Create a special Deadpool Weekly that awards one cover of the brand new character, no essential required. Create a token pack to go along with it with .3% odds. Have an official release event 3 weeks later.

For this set I would have released Kingpin last week. This week have the following splash

"Deadpool has an exclusive sneak peak at the upcoming character Kamala Khan! Take part in this special Deadpool Weekly Quest to obtain her before her official release in 3 weeks. Want more? Be sure to check out her cover packs and browse her essential reading list on the forums."

Have an off event this week, that announced character next week, off event then Kamala event. Do they have to have a full PvE event immediately for each new character? Can't they just have a mini event for a soft launch?

Edit: You could have Kamala be powered up for the 3 events up to and including her release PvE. Would encourage people to spend money on packs. There are already some people with maxed Kingpins, imagine the incentive of having a powerful (196 or 259) for 3 PvE in a row.
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Is the game in trouble? Doing this, knowing how upset people are going to get about, comes off like the game is about to go under or something.

This is utterly ridiculous.

I was a bit miffed that they went 3* release into 4* release, with the 3* being essential. At least the 3* was T150.

The 4* is TOP 50 (individual). I have said after the first back-to-back if they make the 4* essential to get a 3* I'm done with this game. Back-to-back-to-back PVE's of new characters is ridiculous indeed.

Kingpin will be the essential for some of the nodes. But like the PX event where he was essential so was DareDevil and Mohawk for some of the nodes. I see this happening with Kingpin as well.

On topic. This character looks nice, It will work well with Doom. Match blues for doom, then use doom to get black. then use this characters black to kill the enemy. While most think it is Quicksilver, I think it will be a villain of some sort. 3 abilities all doing damage seems villainous to me.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2015
    Options
    anyone know how black will work?

Is it going to be like Moonstone where you select the tile you want swapped and it randomly switches with something else, or will this swap with the other tile, or in the case of 4, they will switch amongst the 4.

Edit:
    Nevermind, just missed the post, so 1 swaps with 2 and 3 swaps with 4.

So basically this is an easy 5/5/3 best build type of guy, since green is a waste, not to mention you can create known critical tiles with black assume the board is right, but being able to swap 2 tiles for the right color means very high chance of match 5, this guy will be a nice pairing with Prof X.
  • I would considering pairing this character with Mystique -> you match blues for infiltration, cast black to create more criticals on a purple/black saturated board, and use Green whenever you stumble into the AP through line clears. Blue seems to be the most worthless ability, but could add some board shake on your turn. The locking really hampers AP generation though.

Further, this guy is almost useless on defense, but aren't almost all 6800HP class characters horrible on defense anyways? The most annoying defensive ability is the blue, because it locks tiles and makes the cascade harder to calculate.

Definitely a 5/3/5 build for me.

@Phaserhawk, first page IceIX response viewtopic.php?p=330112#p330112
    Choice 1 swaps with 2, 3 swaps with 4.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I am guessing that this character is
    Bagseye (just kidding)
    Regarding the passive when the character goes against an AI copy, If it follows the Daken rules, the player's team will always go first and the AI will always go second. You'll have to watch that blue doesn't get matched with 3 locked tiles on the board.
  • I think we can be about 100% sure this is a tie-in character from Age of Ultron. Quicksilver seems most likely, but the other ones we're likely getting from that movie are Scarlet Witch, Vision, Hulkbuster (probably a 4*) and Ultron. Any other character from the movie would be a spoiler character and wouldn't be released until after the movie (and, I should add, is the kind of character they could get in trouble about being announced). If it wasn't a tie-in character they wouldn't be forcing it out.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I think we can be about 100% sure this is a tie-in character from Age of Ultron. Quicksilver seems most likely, but the other ones we're likely getting from that movie are Scarlet Witch, Vision, Hulkbuster (probably a 4*) and Ultron. Any other character from the movie would be a spoiler character and wouldn't be released until after the movie (and, I should add, is the kind of character they could get in trouble about being announced). If it wasn't a tie-in character they wouldn't be forcing it out.

I'm all but sure this will be Quicksilver. The tile swap feels like him running back and forth, plus blue is a nice little nod to his daddy who loves to collect blue.

Scarlet Witch seems like she would be red/black/purple

Ultron seems to be black/red/, not to mention Ultron is probably going to be in the 10200 health

Vision will easily be purple/green/yellow. (Btw, AoU possible spoiler, it appears that Jarvis is going to be Vision, since the actor who voices Jarvis (Paul Betnay) is the actor who is playing Vision

Hulkbust if a 4* or 3* would also have a **** ton of hit points
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kingpin will be the essential for some of the nodes. But like the PX event where he was essential so was DareDevil and Mohawk for some of the nodes. I see this happening with Kingpin as well.

4*'s have always been essential for next PVE - but those PVE's have never been for a new character. So there was some fairness there (not everyone was able to grind for T50), and some break time involved also (didn't have to run successive PVE's to have best chance of next top rewards). Having a 4* as essential for a new character ever would be bizarre. Having it essential IMMEDIATELY AFTER RELEASE, so the fewest people possible have it, is insane.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    I would considering pairing this character with Mystique -> you match blues for infiltration, cast black to create more criticals on a purple/black saturated board, and use Green whenever you stumble into the AP through line clears. Blue seems to be the most worthless ability, but could add some board shake on your turn. The locking really hampers AP generation though.

Further, this guy is almost useless on defense, but aren't almost all 6800HP class characters horrible on defense anyways? The most annoying defensive ability is the blue, because it locks tiles and makes the cascade harder to calculate.

Definitely a 5/3/5 build for me.

@Phaserhawk, first page IceIX response viewtopic.php?p=330112#p330112
    Choice 1 swaps with 2, 3 swaps with 4.

Blue does 2156 AoE for 5 locked tiles. That's a lot of damage for a passive. Yes it's preventable by unlocking tiles, but seems like too much damage to give up to max his green.

I'll certainly gun for 5/5/3 unless the blue is considerably worse in practice than theory.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think blue will depend on what tiles count as 'locked' and what mechanism it uses. If it works with web tiles and bubbles, then it could theoretically be used with Spider-Man or IW once reworked. However, this too has drawbacks. Spider-man depends on his web tiles for the rest of his powers, and IW is better used as a bubble popper, not as a bubble creator.

Finally, if it is its own independent mechanism, it's just too dependent. That's at least 5 blue matches, and you have to hope that none of the locked tiles get matched away. Polarity shift is the only way of reliably speeding it up, as anything else is prone to destroying the locked tiles.

Maxing blue doesn't create extra locked tiles, which is the only reason I could see maxing it. As it is, it just seems like a nice side effect of getting the other powers out cheaper.
  • optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    3/5/5, pair with Bullseye, Doom, cackle maniacally. And stare blankly at reds and yellows.
  • Doom will eventually make it really hard to find a blue match.
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think I'd lean towards 5/5/3. The problem with 5 in green is that with them being randomly created, chances are you'll only be able to match 1 crit tile on your turn, so you're basically handing 1 to your enemy. You could go 4/5/4 for max damage on every ability, but you should be able to make at least 1 match per swap, so getting the 2 swaps seems worth it.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    I think blue will depend on what tiles count as 'locked' and what mechanism it uses. If it works with web tiles and bubbles, then it could theoretically be used with Spider-Man or IW once reworked. However, this too has drawbacks. Spider-man depends on his web tiles for the rest of his powers, and IW is better used as a bubble popper, not as a bubble creator.

Finally, if it is its own independent mechanism, it's just too dependent. That's at least 5 blue matches, and you have to hope that none of the locked tiles get matched away. Polarity shift is the only way of reliably speeding it up, as anything else is prone to destroying the locked tiles.

Maxing blue doesn't create extra locked tiles, which is the only reason I could see maxing it. As it is, it just seems like a nice side effect of getting the other powers out cheaper.

If it's locked like Bagman and IW, you can't move the tile period, and need a match with that tile just to destroy the lock, not the tile at all. It also says, whenever ANYONE makes a match, so it's just like Daken except you lock TU's, not create strike tiles. Once you hit the 5th, boom.

I think you are also failing to see how his black feeds his blue and vice/versa. say i get 2 blue matches myself, I have 2 locked tiles and black now costs 7. I can possibly swap tile 1 with 2 to get another blue match and 3 with 4 to get another blue match, now I have 4 and black is now 5. Not saying that's the best route, but black will easily get you one blue match assuming there are always 3 blue tiles on the board. Yeah, this guy will be very, very fun.

Also not going 5 black is just dumb. This is possibly the best color converter in the game next to Iron Fist. The fact that you can at worst trade 9 black AP for a minimum of 6 AP in one to two colors plus cascade, OMG. For those who are good at reading the board, his black brings the puzzle back in puzzle quest. and you get 1300 dmg.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    I think blue will depend on what tiles count as 'locked' and what mechanism it uses. If it works with web tiles and bubbles, then it could theoretically be used with Spider-Man or IW once reworked.

I am fairly certain it wouldn't work with Spider-Man as his web-tiles are not locked -- I believe IceIX mentioned IW's force bubbles and Bag-man's locked web tiles as the only other (currently ingame) tile-locking mechanics that would work with this new blue passive.

(Incidentally, daibar et al. - thanks for bringing this thread back to theorycrafting. THIS is why I excitedly look forward to each new character release, and don't mind the pace of releases at all icon_e_smile.gif )
  • KrazyKeylime
    Options
    anyone else think this greenflag.png would own with bullseye's murerous aim, still gimmicky but might actually work consistantly maybe throw in OBW for good measure. new pve combo
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You know, with the Netflix show debuting this weekend, it might be:
    ***Bullseye, in his classic suit? It's the easy pairing with ** Bullseye that made me think of it, the dev's seem gun-shy not to repeat winfinite. So by making it the same character, they deny that critical tile trick.

Just speculation, but he/she has to show up like that at some point now that they've moved away from Dark Reign, don't they?
  • It's quicksilver.

Meaning we soon will get scarlet witch and I'd bet hulkbuster. Gotta get in before that free Avengers publicity arrives, yo. Like d3 gives a F if back to back new character releases is soul crushing.

At least this is doc ock power level. Yeah great way to balance a character, make it so his abilities get conditionally cheaper and balance the ability to be mediocre at the lowest cost, just genius.

This is a particularly funny release when you consider how soon after Iron Fist they're releasing this. Both his black and green function as much worse versions of IF's purple.
  • Both greenflag.png and blackflag.png are thinking man's abilities. This character isn't going to hit the top 10 (even 20?) any time soon. I agree with the pairing with Xavier (max blue).

I'm just glad I started playing Pokémon Puzzle on the 3ds as this will really help with the black ability swapping.