*** Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) ***

Options

Comments

• There must have been too many posts about alliances giving up on PvE except when new covers are offered. Solution: new character every PvE!
  • Billigoat
    Billigoat Posts: 71
    Options
    Does no one else think this is Mr. Fantastic?

I mean... his synergy with Invisible Woman is right there. Releasing him now is pretty random, but people have been complaining about IW being terrible for ages and instead of a rework this could be a way to make her a fun combo character.

This is a character where you have to think, manipulating the board with the tile swap. The results don't guarantee heavy hits, but make you plan ahead. To me, it's definitely the type of playstyle you'd expect from a thinker like Mr. Fantastic.

And while the colors don't always coordinate with the hero/villain, we have a group of 4 teamup tiles generated by blue matches (their uniform color), with a passive attack by the leader of the group when all four are on the field. His other abilities get cheaper because they're working together.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Is the game in trouble? Doing this, knowing how upset people are going to get about, comes off like the game is about to go under or something.

This is utterly ridiculous.

I was a bit miffed that they went 3* release into 4* release, with the 3* being essential. At least the 3* was T150.

The 4* is TOP 50 (individual). I have said after the first back-to-back if they make the 4* essential to get a 3* I'm done with this game. Back-to-back-to-back PVE's of new characters is ridiculous indeed.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There must have been too many posts about alliances giving up on PvE except when new covers are offered. Solution: new character every PvE!

Problem was some folks were saying how it was impossible before to ever take a break. Good luck anyone who had to take a vacation, got sick for a weekend, took a month break from the game, or is new....you are forced to run every single PVE to try to do well in the next one. Nice devs, apparently not enough folks had burned out on you lately.....
  • Billigoat wrote:
    Does no one else think this is Mr. Fantastic?

I mean... his synergy with Invisible Woman is right there. Releasing him now is pretty random, but people have been complaining about IW being terrible for ages and instead of a rework this could be a way to make her a fun combo character.

This is a character where you have to think, manipulating the board with the tile swap. The results don't guarantee heavy hits, but make you plan ahead. To me, it's definitely the type of playstyle you'd expect from a thinker like Mr. Fantastic.

And while the colors don't always coordinate with the hero/villain, we have a group of 4 teamup tiles generated by blue matches (their uniform color), with a passive attack by the leader of the group when all four are on the field. His other abilities get cheaper because they're working together.

Fantastic four aren't likely, they're unpopular Age of Ultron around the corner
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Problem was some folks were saying how it was impossible before to ever take a break. Good luck anyone who had to take a vacation, got sick for a weekend, took a month break from the game, or is new

Whenever people make exaggerated comments like this, I always imagine that their everyday life involves nothing but being forced to play MPQ by whip-wielding slavemasters. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Nobody's making you play incessantly to the point of burnout. If you don't get a single new *** from a weeklong PVE, that cover will be along sometime soon elsewhere via easily-attainable top100 PVP reward, the Daily, random token luck, etc.

I love this game, but feel genuinely sorry for anyone passing-up a vacation opportunity or scared to get sick with their main reasoning being missing a chance at some new covers. One's physical and mental health should always take priority.
  • Looking forward to this charachter if it's who we are speculating. I just hope he has better in game graphics then the Mrs Marvels seem to be subjected to icon_razz.gif
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    #@!#%@!!! Shoot the messenger!

Look ice, Dave, I just want to let you know it is ok to come out and tell us "Marvel wants us to get Kingpin out before Dare Devil airs on Friday, and they want us to get a bunch of characters out to match what is comming up in the Marvel universe, so we are going to need to release many characters in a row." I am 99% sure this is what is going on, but it feels like you are just releasing them and running for cover waiting for the Forum lashing. A simple announcement that you need to release some specific characters to meet your sponsor obligations goes so far to calm the community. We might not like it, but we would be a lot more on your side.

Just sayin
  • Marc_Spector
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    Look ice, Dave, I just want to let you know it is ok to come out and tell us "Marvel wants us to get Kingpin out before Dare Devil airs on Friday, and they want us to get a bunch of characters out to match what is comming up in the Marvel universe, so we are going to need to release many characters in a row." I am 99% sure this is what is going on, but it feels like you are just releasing them and running for cover waiting for the Forum lashing. A simple announcement that you need to release some specific characters to meet your sponsor obligations goes so far to calm the community. We might not like it, but we would be a lot more on your side.

"We" implies you speak for every single individual on the forum and/or playing the game. You do not. I co-run a full alliance of mostly-IRL friends who've been playing for a year or more and not a single one is anything but excited when a new character is announced, even if they don't necessarily have the roster space for them right now. This game is a ongoing marathon, not a sprint. There's a loud and vocal minority on this forums (which is fine), and expected in any community (whether gaming forum or otherwise), but you're deluding yourself if you think that that opinion is the de facto singular status quo.

(And nobody "ran for cover" here -- Ice hung around to answer more questions about the character's mechanics than I normally would've expected!)
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    turul wrote:
    Andy9009 wrote:
    Blue seems a bit overpowered as a passive. At least Doom Purple require an active trigger.

Nah, its casual/underpowered.

Needs 5 blue match to activate detonation (not counting additional locked tile match-unlocking )

Paired with mnmags, there is a possibility of making three separate blue matches if the board is in your favour (although probably not as ideal as making it do a 5-match). In late game this could be crazy.

My only issue is it's team damage, and I'd hate to face this guy when he's scaled up to 200+.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:

"We" implies you speak for every single individual on the forum and/or playing the game. You do not. I co-run a full alliance of mostly-IRL friends who've been playing for a year or more and not a single one is anything but excited when a new character is announced, even if they don't necessarily have the roster space for them right now. This game is a ongoing marathon, not a sprint. There's a loud and vocal minority on this forums (which is fine), and expected in any community (whether gaming forum or otherwise), but you're deluding yourself if you think that that opinion is the de facto singular status quo.

(And nobody "ran for cover" here -- Ice hung around to answer more questions about the character's mechanics than I normally would've expected!)

My alliance has 6 groups / 120 something members in our LINE room and there's basically nothing but dread with all these back to back character releases. Look at the number of retirement threads popping up. New characters place a lot of stress on commanders to make sure everyone is pulling their weight for top 100 finishes in PvP and PvE for cover releases - people who aren't need to get subbed and mercs need to get recruited. Events for old characters are a welcomed sight because the players can choose not to play them and commanders don't have to worry about organizing people. The fact that you're playing with IRL friends who don't care whether or not they get a cover is the reason you don't feel the stress a vast majority of people feel. If you were in danger of getting kicked out of your alliance for not performing well enough you would probably sing a different tune.

A new character is exciting and takes a lot of effort so it feels nice to unwind for a week (I would prefer 2) with off events then get amped up to try again for the next one. Too many new characters means too many events and an even longer period of time before they show up again for covers. More characters means longer period of time with incomplete and unusable characters.
  • Marc_Spector
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    My alliance has 6 groups / 120 something members in our LINE room and there's basically nothing but dread with all these back to back character releases. Look at the number of retirement threads popping up. New characters place a lot of stress on commanders to make sure everyone is pulling their weight for top 100 finishes in PvP and PvE for cover releases - people who aren't need to get subbed and mercs need to get recruited. Events for old characters are a welcomed sight because the players can choose not to play them and commanders don't have to worry about organizing people. The fact that you're playing with IRL friends who don't care whether or not they get a cover is the reason you don't feel the stress a vast majority of people feel. If you were in danger of getting kicked out of your alliance for not performing well enough you would probably sing a different tune.

Excellent & well-put points, dkffiv.
    To be fair, I do agree that this character following so closely on the heels of Kingpin [with no warning] is a bit overwhelming. I suppose my main point was purely against the absolute-thinking that I often see permeate this discussion, when in general life there's rarely a singular de facto absolute side in any debate. (if there were, we wouldn't "need" politicians icon_e_biggrin.gif )
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I think you're right. But I also think they knew Daredevil was coming, they knew Age of Ultron was coming, Professor X wasn't tied to a tie-in, Kamala Khan might not have been, and they could have rearranged the schedule so that the gaps were maybe a bit shorter than usual, but not three characters in a row, with the first coming in an incredibly grindy event.

I definitely agree with you that with better planning, there shouldn't be back to back character release....

Now if I put the "white knighting" hat, I can imagine a few scenarios why they can't or didn't do that:-
    1) the contract specify that they *have* to release one new character every alternate week. Tie-in release are not included in the scheduling.

2) marvel studio decide which character to release, and they don't decide until very late. But once they made the decision, D3 only have 1-2 weeks to pump out the character to meet the tie-in deadline.

3) they are planning a huge event for Avengers 2, and they absolutely have to pump out the essential characters. The missing characters are SW, Quicksilver and maybe vision. The characters skills and pictures need to be approved by marvel, and they don't have enough lead time to do so.... So they have to release the characters back to back.

If I take on the "pitch fork" mode, then the explanation I have about D3 decision is that:
    1) they enjoy seeing us grind and hence are malicious.
    2) they enjoy seeing the forum complaints and hence are malicious
    3) they are running a social experiment to see how much pain can the player base take before attrition, and hence are malicious scientists.
    4) they realised they need to cut out the veteran population, so they are releasing back to back characters to drive out the vets.

Well, take your pick. White knight helmet or pitch fork.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm not super impressed with the char. He has X-forces active colours so not going to see any serious play until wolvie gets nerfed. The black power is totally useless in defence and the idiot ai is likely to match his own locked tiles so blue is not that scary either.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Update - Bit of a change and hence the removal of the dev note (see what I said about pre-release?): This character's abilities *will* now work with other Locked tiles, so Invisible Woman? Force Bubble away!

So this is the IW buff that everyone as been waiting for? And it looks like Mr fantastic will be a 3* icon_e_sad.gif
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanos wrote:
    I know I'm in the minority when i say i like all the new character releases, the more the merrier. Looks like a fun casual character. Now if only Invisible Woman was worth using... If only.... icon_e_wink.gif

I wouldn't bet on that being a minority position overall. People who like it usually just aren't very vocal about it (unless they like it a lot)
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Teno1 wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Update - Bit of a change and hence the removal of the dev note (see what I said about pre-release?): This character's abilities *will* now work with other Locked tiles, so Invisible Woman? Force Bubble away!

So this is the IW buff that everyone as been waiting for? And it looks like Mr fantastic will be a 3* icon_e_sad.gif

This is NOT Mr Fantastic. Think an alternative name associated with an element that's liquid at room temp.
  • It seems to me this character, like Blade, is randomly overpowered as in if you got a game where happend to have 4 locked tiles on the board for a while then he'll totally clean up and own everyone just like how Blade owns everyone if there are a lot of red on the board. If not, then he's obviously not that great. I don't really see any synergy with Invisible Woman here because currently she's still useless and if she's made to be actually good it'd seen like a total waste to flush away your bubbles for 2K. I mean even Force Bubble Crush right now does about that range of damage and it's way underpowered.
  • Thanos wrote:
    I know I'm in the minority when i say i like all the new character releases, the more the merrier. Looks like a fun casual character. Now if only Invisible Woman was worth using... If only.... icon_e_wink.gif

I wouldn't bet on that being a minority position overall. People who like it usually just aren't very vocal about it (unless they like it a lot)

It's a minority position. Roster slots are expensive.

read this post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27134&p=330438#p330367
    dkffiv wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

A new character is exciting and takes a lot of effort so it feels nice to unwind for a week (I would prefer 2) with off events then get amped up to try again for the next one. Too many new characters means too many events and an even longer period of time before they show up again for covers. More characters means longer period of time with incomplete and unusable characters.

I wish ppl would understand this. I just got burned at the stake in this other thread(viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27136&p=330431#p330431 viewtopic.php?p=330211#p330211) for saying character releases are too many
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    Teno1 wrote:
    So this is the IW buff that everyone as been waiting for?
    Hells no. This is the Bagman buff that everyone has been waiting for. Locked tiles fo life yo!