*** Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) ***

Options

Comments

• Scoregasms wrote:
    So... let me get this straight. They broke up really good team synergy's (Stormeto/Winfinite) discovered by the masses and used extensively because it was too broken. But now they are changing/releasing characters that pretty much require them to be paired with specific characters in order to be good and by themselves, they are just sort of meh (i.e. 4hor/Pietro)?

After watching notamutant's video of Quicksilver, he really does seem weak, even maxed. Agree with others, at least this means I can lay off Prodigal Sun since he doesn't seem worth the effort.

But seriously... ISO-8 followed up by TaT followed up by Prodigal Sun (not to mention all the new character releases + PVP MMR shenanigans), Super Grindy > Super Scaled > Uber Scaled, I'm pretty sure you actually want us to have fun and even said so... lol, I'd like for you to try and play through all of these and see how much fun you're having developers!
    No. This character is utter garbage no matter who you pair him with. That's fine though
  • Scoregasms
    Scoregasms Posts: 373
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    No. This character is utter garbage no matter who you pair him with. That's fine though

But but but, you can pair him with IW/Bagman/Spiderman/Venom and he is slightly better right? right?? lol... ok, your point is made after typing that out, I wouldn't even willingly pair XF to any of that mess, he may very well turn on me.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Scoregasms wrote:
    But now they are changing/releasing characters that pretty much require them to be paired with specific characters in order to be good and by themselves, they are just sort of meh (i.e. 4hor/Pietro)?
    So, is the consensus that the problematic pairing was mnMags and Mystique? Because if that is the case, then this is strike two. QS wasn't going to fit everyone's playstyle, but I found him interesting... not so much now.

The second reoccurring problem that I see with QS is the disparity between player and AI skill. PvP players don't want characters like this, anyway, because they don't trust the AI to play them well. To me, characters that are designed with the AI in mind are indeed powerful, but uninteresting (like 2*/3* Thor). Conversely, puzzle-y mechanics risk being "over powered" in the hands of a human (like QS, I guess?). In the quest for PvP balance, this game is becoming as dumb as the AI, because of the AI.

I'm sure the Devs don't like that the enthusiasm for their ideas suddenly die the day before their release. They need to do something about the above two problems in order to see their ideas actually become reality.
  • ark123 wrote:
    If you're only looking at characters in the game now as they currently stand, then yeah, no doubt. But what this appears to be is blowback from the likes of Winfinite, similar to their overvaluing of charged tiles. IW rework is coming "soon", and they probably have other locked and charged tile characters coming down the pipe. In their developer minds they saw a board flooded with locked tiles and charged tiles, allowing the spawning of cheap crits followed by cheap tile swapping followed by the apocalypse.

There's still hope that he could be part of a powerful tag team. If IW's green became like Kingpin's black but for locked tiles, or if they released a similar power on a new character that used blue AP, he'd be a crazy good partner. But as he sits, in the current state of the game, he's pretty lame.
  • Scoregasms wrote:
    So... let me get this straight. They broke up really good team synergy's (Stormeto/Winfinite) discovered by the masses and used extensively because it was too broken. But now they are changing/releasing characters that pretty much require them to be paired with specific characters in order to be good and by themselves, they are just sort of meh (i.e. 4hor/Pietro)?

After watching notamutant's video of Quicksilver, he really does seem weak, even maxed. Agree with others, at least this means I can lay off Prodigal Sun since he doesn't seem worth the effort.

But seriously... ISO-8 followed up by TaT followed up by Prodigal Sun (not to mention all the new character releases + PVP MMR shenanigans), Super Grindy > Super Scaled > Uber Scaled, I'm pretty sure you actually want us to have fun and even said so... lol, I'd like for you to try and play through all of these and see how much fun you're having developers!

They release characters like clockwork but don't actually check if they're good or not. I guess I should just be happy blade/kamala/iron fist/etc. won't be nerfed for a while
    mu7an7 wrote:
    I know it's late and possibly slightly off topic, but meh...

IW_QS.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
  • seems that no one on the design team knows what being a speedster is about. this is not Quicksilver this is Slog Through the Mud Man.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wow. Just....wow.
    After looking at the released stats, checking out combo's with other characters, and watching the pre-release video that was posted, I am simply not impressed. I actually think he would be ok...if he were a 2*.
    But as a 3* roster slot? Not every character needs to be Iron Fist/off the charts/top tier. But every character should be (a) usable and (b) interesting/fun to play.

Maybe a character isn't terribly useful in mid/high end PVP play -> that's ok. Maybe he can be used as part of a climb, or in Shield SIM, or in PVE. But this guy? I'm can't think of a part of the game where Quicksilver would truly shine, let alone be even in the top half of 3* characters I would use in my roster, even if he were maxxed (which I know won't happen for a long, long time if ever).

His Blue is his signature move. Passive, yay!, But....you basically have to entice blue matches throughout the session, and then time your black and green very carefully, because once you get to TU-Lock #5, then you have to start over again. I think clearly a designer dropped the ball here - he should have been designed so that ONCE HE GETS GOING, HE CAN CONTINUE TO BE USEFUL (not unlike Steve Rogers), As I believe Phaserhawk and others have stated, he shouldn't detonate all of the locked tiles when he gets to 5, he should have some "carry-over" benefit (detonating 1-2 locked tiles max), keeping him going. Otherwise, he's just too slow - ironic for a character like Pietro. Good luck using this against an all Goon wave - forcing you into 5 blue matches will take forever (even with his black).

I like his Black tile swap -> that could be fun to create potentially 2 match 3's or better. But there's marginal benefit for having more than 1 cover, and it's just too damn expensive to use in practice. Again, too slow.

His green...is probably the very definition of "meh". I'm actually glad they reduced the Crit from 2 to 1, but it's still unreliable, and they missed the obvious opportunity to increase his crit multiplier to top tier. Plus, how is a Crit symbolic of "Fists of Fury"? He should have dropped an attack file to represent his constant annoyance to enemy teams - a missed opportunity to be sure. And, it's still way too slow, even with the locked tile accelerator.

I am semi-hopeful this character is the result of an overworked design team who had so much pressure to finish this character they didn't have time to really make him fun or useful. This is still a sad statement, but better than the other alternative -> that the Dev's actually thought Quicksilver was a good character when they finished his design.

TLDR -> While not every character needs to be top tier, they should all be useful and/or fun. But Quicksilver really doesn't have a fun or useful home in any part of MPQ. He's basically roster filler or a complete skip -> and that isn't fun at all.
  • GuntherBlobel
    Options
    I'm in complain mode, so I'm going to continue with something else that bothers me. I don't play MPQ to rule the leaderboards, I play it because it does such a good job of bringing Marvel characters to life in a puzzle game.

QS == Locked Tiles and random Crits? No. I'm thinking 1-turn countdowns, extra turns, instant tile swapping, passive (instant) damage, and low AP costs. We have only one of these in QS as released, and apparently, 2 swaps was too much!

I would never have guessed that this character is QS from his powers. The "Unkown" reveals are making it obvious to me which characters are driving new mechanics (think Colossus) and which characters are just the dumping ground for otherwise abandoned mechanics (QS blueflag.png ). The ability descriptions and animations sometimes convince me that an ability could fit the character after release. But pre-release, of these "Unknown" reveals, I've only been able to guess Cyclops. Not surprisingly, he's my favorite. He feels dead on! Many of the new characters are a far cry from this.

QS is the new pre-buff Daredevil. Maybe he'll be fast in his rework next year.
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    Options

I'm put him in Bagman Family. Hope they rework him fast icon_e_smile.gif
  • GuntherBlobel
    Options
    SolidQ wrote:

I'm put him in Bagman Family. Hope they rework him fast icon_e_smile.gif
    But not Quicksilver fast... I'm not going to live forever.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    90-Junk-Silver-Bag.png
  • I try not to judge characters before I actually use them, but he's going to be way too slow. Even Psylocke's red is faster than his moves. Quicksilver is a speedster, he should have really quick, low-cost powers. His abilities shouldn't start out costing any more than 8-9 AP and then decrease to 5 with locked tiles on the board. (Since 5 seems to be the new minimum cost.)
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    Options
    How!? How can you consistently tinykitty up!? QUICKSILVER is all about speed! How could you make him slow!? That's the dumbest thing you've done yet! How is psylock faster than peitro?
  • Chirus
    Chirus Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2015
    Options
    spccrain wrote:
    How!? How can you consistently tinykitty up!? QUICKSILVER is all about speed! How could you make him slow!? That's the dumbest thing you've done yet! How is psylock faster than peitro?

the upcoming hulkbuster release will have magneto level health.
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    Options
    Chirus wrote:
    spccrain wrote:
    the

upcoming hulkbuster release will have magneto level health.

Of course it will lol
  • Chirus wrote:
    spccrain wrote:
    the

upcoming hulkbuster release will have magneto level health.

If u keep giving away D3's "brilliant" secrets they're gonna ban u soon

don't worry I got you covered, I know how to make them ignore this comment:

BUFF SPIDERMAN AND NERF XFORCE
  • optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like how he's lost all of his stars in the topic title.

EDIT: Boo, he got them back.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Eh, he was randomly broken with his old stats, so I can see why they nerfed him. He'd be pretty weak most of the time but if you randomly have 4 bubbles locked in the right place he'd pump out absolutely insane moves. Now I guess these moves are meant to be used after the board has stablized for a while where you can collect enough AP and then wait for 4 tiles to be locked. I'm not sure if that's a good design but creating 2 crit is worth at least 4 random AP in even the worst cases and swap 4 tiles is strictly better than being able to place 2 tiles of any color so that couldn't have stayed at a potential cost of 5 AP.

Except one match blue and all the lock tiles are destroyed and you have to start over again, so sure you could of had some fun swapping here and there but it still would have been a 5AP costed black, even if he was going crazy he would have been unrelyable. I say bring black and green back to what they were and make blue single target but only destroying one locked tile

I said he's going to be pretty weak most of the time even under the old system. It'd be like how Blade just isn't very good if you can't get red tiles to stick but in a much more extreme form. If you remember the days where you can rack up crazy environmental points in high-tech environment you'll know that being able to put 4 crit tiles (2 uses of green at 10 AP at the lowest possible cost) almost always leads to a massive clearing of the board and even at 2 there are very good potentials. A black that swaps 2 pairs of tiles is going to usually create 2 match 5s (being able to swap 4 is as good as placing 2 of any color over basic) and maybe even a bit more since you might be able to get a match 3 from swapping back whatever you needed to make the match 5. Yes a massive board shaking move will probably clear your bubbles in some way but you'd already have a game deciding edge at that point. His green/black did too much board control that they'd never be allowed to even situationally be used at 5 AP. I don't think weakening their effect and increase the cost is the right way to go, but one of the two had to happen. I think taking away the double crit/swap should've been enough.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Eh, he was randomly broken with his old stats, so I can see why they nerfed him. He'd be pretty weak most of the time but if you randomly have 4 bubbles locked in the right place he'd pump out absolutely insane moves. Now I guess these moves are meant to be used after the board has stablized for a while where you can collect enough AP and then wait for 4 tiles to be locked. I'm not sure if that's a good design but creating 2 crit is worth at least 4 random AP in even the worst cases and swap 4 tiles is strictly better than being able to place 2 tiles of any color so that couldn't have stayed at a potential cost of 5 AP.

Except one match blue and all the lock tiles are destroyed and you have to start over again, so sure you could of had some fun swapping here and there but it still would have been a 5AP costed black, even if he was going crazy he would have been unrelyable. I say bring black and green back to what they were and make blue single target but only destroying one locked tile

I said he's going to be pretty weak most of the time even under the old system. It'd be like how Blade just isn't very good if you can't get red tiles to stick but in a much more extreme form. If you remember the days where you can rack up crazy environmental points in high-tech environment you'll know that being able to put 4 crit tiles (2 uses of green at 10 AP at the lowest possible cost) almost always leads to a massive clearing of the board and even at 2 there are very good potentials. A black that swaps 2 pairs of tiles is going to usually create 2 match 5s (being able to swap 4 is as good as placing 2 of any color over basic) and maybe even a bit more since you might be able to get a match 3 from swapping back whatever you needed to make the match 5. Yes a massive board shaking move will probably clear your bubbles in some way but you'd already have a game deciding edge at that point. His green/black did too much board control that they'd never be allowed to even situationally be used at 5 AP. I don't think weakening their effect and increase the cost is the right way to go, but one of the two had to happen. I think taking away the double crit/swap should've been enough.

And I can agree with the double crit and swap removal but the AP costs are just terrible, the only way this guy is any good is if they go 9 black--Blue going off on 4th match not 5th and green also at 9. Then you esstially could have a 6 cc guy, but when he removes all of the locked tiles he just spent getting.

The other option is not to have the tiles get destroyed, just keep building like how Doom's purple is, for every blue with 4 on the board the damage is dealt, but don't remove the tiles!!!!

So much potential and so wasted, very sad he had the makings of a cool character until all of this.