*** Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) ***

Options

Comments

• Can you use 553 on his pvp then respec to 535 after?
  • Using him in gauntlet has me thinking, a possible buff that wouldn't break him, would be for his black to gain the ability to target protect/strike/attack/cd tiles at later levels.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ran a max covered QS 535 during the gauntlet, blue probably went off 2/3 times during the event. Green was used numerous times, occasionally to devastating effect. I did occasionally think 1k AOE is pretty bad but you are never actively trying to set it up and I got used to it being a nice bonus. Lowering the cost of black / green is more useful.

Outside of blue shift and if you are not using him with a strong green then I'd lean to 3 in blue. Even if you do have a strong green user, a backup who can hit for 2k for 6/7 isn't too bad.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After playing Blue Shift, I am certain I want to shift my 5/5/3 to 5/3/5, and plan to do so after it is over. Blue is awesome at 5, when you're going against another QS with a blue cover. But outside his PVP, how often is that? I've even had matches in PVP, where the other QS is decently leveled, and I assume he has a blue cover, and am disappointed to find that he doesn't, because blue is likely to take a lot longer to go off, if it even does.

Pasting what I posted in Blue Shift thread
    His event is infrequent, so that is why I am re-spec'ing. He is likely to be more useful to me, at 5/3/5, for PVE. He will be buffed the same weeks for PVP, but people are less likely to use him, outside of him being the feature, where you have to use him. So since I am more likely to use him outside of his event, I will re-spec for when he will be most useful to me. I thought 5/5/3 would be best, with blue being aoe and black being able to help blue go off, but last time he was buffed, I found that blue hardly goes off, so I'd rather have the increased damage in black and green.

Another factor I put in, team composition. Regarding AP gen; GSBW and Kamala Khan can create green tiles. Cap Marvel, Doctor Doom, Iron Fist and Mystique can create black tiles / add black AP; SW can create purple to feed GSBW or IF. A lot more synergy on the 3* tier to feed green and black powers.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm starting to think 5 blue is almost mandatory because the only time I ever expect to use QS is when he's required. It's easily his most effective power in his PVP.
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree 5 blue is mandatory. This talk of using him for PVE...even boosted I am likely only using him in Heroics if I have too. On the rare occasions I will ever use him 95% will be his PVP so 553 all the way.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What this pvp has taught us is that QS isn't bad so long as he's boosted and there is 2 of them, but it has made me realize the simplest way to fix him

1. Have blue create 2 locked tiles. To fix broken PvP remove the creation by the other team so if playing another QS it would still take 3 turns to make it go off but the team that does the match gets the dog

2. Black needs 1 less AP. to make green more attractive increase dmg

This is literally the easiest way without major development requirements. You only would have to edit existing code not rewrite it. Any blue match becomes when you. 1 becomes 2 etc
  • trey9
    trey9 Posts: 102
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    What this pvp has taught us is that QS isn't bad so long as he's boosted and there is 2 of them, but it has made me realize the simplest way to fix him

1. Have blue create 2 locked tiles. To fix broken PvP remove the creation by the other team so if playing another QS it would still take 3 turns to make it go off but the team that does the match gets the dog

This is literally the easiest way without major development requirements. You only would have to edit existing code not rewrite it. Any blue match becomes when you. 1 becomes 2 etc

I totally agree Phaserhawk. You hit it right on the money. Having his blue passive create 2 locked tiles would not only make his team damage more likely to go off, but it would accelerate his other powers too because it would lower their ap costs faster. I also agree that he could use some damage upgrades as well.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't think I've used him once since his last pvp unless I played him in a heroic or a pve essential that I'm forgetting about and 1 of my 2 wipes this event was specifically because of cascades hitting opponent's blue instead of mine (covered/leveled 2 blue proc's basically takes fist out). I recently moved him off of 5 blue going toward a 5/3/5 build and I completely regret it. i'll be going back to a 5 blue build when covers come in.

lots of ways to make him better - I'd almost be ok with everything as-is if you could place the crit - and making 2 locks on your own blue match would help too but so many times the crit proc'ed in the corner, unmatchable. that just blows.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    I don't think I've used him once since his last pvp unless I played him in a heroic or a pve essential that I'm forgetting about and 1 of my 2 wipes this event was specifically because of cascades hitting opponent's blue instead of mine (covered/leveled 2 blue proc's basically takes fist out). I recently moved him off of 5 blue going toward a 5/3/5 build and I completely regret it. i'll be going back to a 5 blue build when covers come in.

lots of ways to make him better - I'd almost be ok with everything as-is if you could place the crit - and making 2 locks on your own blue match would help too but so many times the crit proc'ed in the corner, unmatchable. that just blows.

I used him in the Ultron Gauntlet. His green and black would've done more good than his blue. Since I play most PVEs, the weeks he's boosted, he would be more valuable with the PVE build of 5/3/5. A 5/5/3 build is best if you only plan to use him in his PVP, because the weeks he's boosted, you're probably not going to use him in PVP either, because you're not going to be matched against many Quicksilvers. If I ever build up another HP hoard, I'll build a 5/5/3, just for his PVP, but that's not going to be for a while.
  • I'm kind of torn between 5/5/3, 3/5/5 and 5/3/5. Currently my QS is 4/5/4 and I have both green and black covers. Way I see it, his blue is mostly useful only on QS's own PvP (and then it's super useful). Otherwise... Meh.

In practice I've actually always used his green skill more than black. Probably because I've paired QS with other better black users like IF, X-Wolvie or Cyclops. Bah. I think I'll go 5/3/5. Only times I'm going to miss his blue skill is fighting against other QS and that'll be quite rare outside his own PvP.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Was playing with QS in Simulator for the hell of it (and because I maxed him during his PvP) and his locked tiles are now destroyed by Storm yellow and CMag red. Huge nerf as daddy was a pretty good partner for him (remove the extra TU tiles to reduce the chance they get matched away), posted in bug forum to see if this was intended or not.
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:

THIS is the solution I really hope the devs look at it! 2 bubbles would actually allow you get black and green off at their cheaper (and intended) costs and would make blue much more likely to actually happen (outside of his PVP you are more likely to get a Ballistic Salvo off than a Supersonic). Makes him a fast niche character who pairs well with strike tile generators or power activators(PX/KK). Still not overpowering or anything top tier but you certainly playable.
  • What's the more preferred build for Quicksilver? I've heard people say 553, 535, 355 and I'm not sure which is best. Mine is currently 535 but I have two blue covers so I'm debating whether to respec to 553 or 355.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dw316 wrote:
    What's the more preferred build for Quicksilver? I've heard people say 553, 535, 355 and I'm not sure which is best. Mine is currently 535 but I have two blue covers so I'm debating whether to respec to 553 or 355.

early on, more people talked about 5/5/3. But I think that after his last PVP, more people are leaning towards 5/3/5. Blue is just too hard to use, except maybe in mirror matches (which have their own problems), or when using him with IW. Better just to maximize the damage of his other two powers and take whatever happens with the blue.

Personally, I switched to 5/3/5 after the last run of Blue Shift, but since I never use him except when featured, so I haven't really formed an opinion of the new build.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dw316 wrote:
    What's the more preferred build for Quicksilver? I've heard people say 553, 535, 355 and I'm not sure which is best. Mine is currently 535 but I have two blue covers so I'm debating whether to respec to 553 or 355.

Good question and it really depends on if you plan on using him regularly in PVE. If you use him 5,3,5 is best as blue will rarely go off unless you are using him with IW. If you are only going to use him when he is required in PVP then 5,5 e is his best build. Black is a much better ability then green as you can switch tiles. In PVP when QS is required his blue can be devastating for a passive attack, and that is the only time it regularly fires. 3,5,5 is for someone who feels they have a much better black user but not a better green user. I have him as 5,3,5 so I can use him in PVE on occasion.
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    5 blue is almost a necessity during his PvP, but any other time his blue power is horrendous. Impossible to get off and the damage is underwhelming when it does...
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Quicksilver is/was my first fully covered fully leveled 3*, and as a result I've gotten a LOT of mileage with him. I still use him daily for my Deadpool Big Enchilada, and use him in every PVE extensively.

That said, unless he is the ONLY green user, you want him to be 5/5/3. The reason why, is even at rank 5 of green, his green is super underwhelming. Almost any other green ability does more damage/more effect. I get his blue to trigger a lot more than you think (more often than something like Ballistic Salvo, because opponent blues count too, and you can use your black to trigger blue matches.)

The damage jump from 4 to 5 is huge. 2200 aoe is not as good as many, but if you pair him with an active blue user and/or want to deny blue from opponent, it goes off frequently.

TL;DR- Blue isn't very good, but green is much worse than other characters green. Tested with months of using him daily in all PVE, Deadpool, PVP.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I find myself using Quicksilver's green the most, actually. Maybe it's just that I am too impatient to take full advantage of the black... I'm 5/3/5 all the way though.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ditto, Quebbster, I've grown to like it. Plus, the argument of "Quicksilver's green is worse than [character x]'s green" is a moot point when his is the only green in my party (like in my Colossus/QS/Blade group in Colossus's VS right now)

I went into Quicksilver's last VS at 5/5/3 (max level), and while it was fun (in that occasion only) to try and race the enemy QS to that final blue trigger, it still wouldn't happen as much as I would've liked it to. I saw little value in maximizing a passive which still wasn't particularly effective in its ideal circumstance and switched to 5/3/5 shortly thereafter. It's made the character much more satisfying to use in knowing that I've maxed out his two active damage sources, and I only count on his locked TU tiles as accelerators towards lowering the cost of his moves.

EDIT: yes, I just used "satisfying" to describe playing with Quicksilver. While I enjoy using him at max level more than I expected to, I still think the character is in serious need of an update as per many of the great ideas presented in this thread already.