Changes to Versus Matchmaking [Update]

Comments

• Utter ****!!!!!!!

Daredevil PvP is again the same **** matchmaking.

Even our lower tiered allis (I run a multi skill level family of alliances) can't compete. People with 100 level chars face maxed people.

With new health changes and xf being changed. Many of us may quit. Thanks for ruining this once great game.
  • erated
    erated Posts: 10
    Can somebody explain what was wrong with the old system and why they had to screw with it?
  • erated wrote:
    Can somebody explain what was wrong with the old system and why they had to screw with it?

I would love Will to answer this question honestly, but I'm guessing it will just be more platitudes and sentences spun to make it sound like they had the players interests in mind.
  • MarCr wrote:
    erated wrote:

I would love Will to answer this question honestly, but I'm guessing it will just be more platitudes and sentences spun to make it sound like they had the players interests in mind.
    If you don't agree, that's understandable, (and possibly d3p screwed this change up and didn't accomplish their desired goal on the first try, well, it's almost a given that happened), but "we don't think veteran players climbing to 600 points exclusively by thrashing newbies who don't do any damage to them and won't retaliate, thus preventing them from getting anywhere, is good for the game" is not that hard to comprehend
  • gamar wrote:
    If you don't agree, that's understandable, (and possibly d3p screwed this change up and didn't accomplish their desired goal on the first try, well, it's almost a given that happened), but "we don't think veteran players climbing to 600 points exclusively by thrashing newbies who don't do any damage to them and won't retaliate, thus preventing them from getting anywhere, is good for the game" is not that hard to comprehend

So a company that bases its product design on the concept of altruism? That's pretty beautiful.

I read that sentence as, we've had your money and now that's drying up we are going to screw you and bait these next unfortunate idiots.
  • That's cute that you read that, but it isn't even close to what it says.
  • Bwanis
    Bwanis Posts: 16
    I am a 2* transitioning to 3* - the MMR has caused me to hit a wall at around 260-270 points in the last two PVP matches. Not only is the gameplay frustrating and boring but most importantly the changes have taken away ALL the incentive to play PVP. I HAVE a complete 2* rouster so I NEED 3* covers now, or at least the chance to get them from a token but the first useful reward starts at 300 which is unreachable for me. With the new progression wall we are all hitting, it also eliminates our ability to hit the useful seasonal progression rewards like the 10 pack. So I gain nothing useful in short term, nothing useful long term. Hero points are now out of reach too and at this wall, I'm finishing in the top 150-250 so no chance at a 3* cover from placement either...WHATS THE POINT OF PVP FOR ME NOW?!? Most players have a rouster like mine and fall into my predicament -We literally no incentive to play this damaged mode...
  • As some of the others have stated, it would be nice if they could provide some clarity of exactly what the intended play experience is supposed to be after these changes.

My new play experience is: Clear seed teams, see all max 3* roster match ups worth ~20ish points each. I have gotten attacked at less than 100 points now. Actually I climbed to 500 pretty casually over the course of the day, also randomly getting attacks often. Sitting at ~520 overnight (4hrs or so) I saw 7 ! attacks at that low score.
    I want to say I was using max hulk, 220 - 230 XF +141 loki or max hood. A few weeks ago when I only had 4 166 characters I could hover around ~600 with lcap/hood or patch/hulk without seeing a boatload of attacks. I only just above 800 on this pvp & saw somewhere along the lines of 15 attacks.

It feels like this change has highlighted a massive problem with the match making in this game (or actually added to it).
    Why would anyone want to attack a similar or better roster for 20 points & give them retaliation nodes?? Also, due to the fact that most players climb in burst, even if you hit someone for "even" points - you are likely to be worth much more to them when they get around to hitting you back. The pvp grind has always been long and tedious, previously once you had a strong roster pushing points was easier & the shield hops were the risk/grind. Now the entire thing is a long slog of "even" matches in both point totals and roster strength.

Also, on the skip feature - why is it always a stream of the same 5 players? is this really fair to those that are stuck in my q? The only upside is like when I get lucky and I can triple tap some jerk off from one of the x-men groups for over 100 points at a time. icon_e_smile.gif Or is it really fair to me when at any given point level 90% of the time that I feel like playing I am stuck between choosing between the same 5 max level targets for 20 or 22 points at a time? Surely I'm not the only one experiencing this??

In short - it feels like now I have to play 50% harder and 50% more to achieve the same score. Is this the intended *new* play experience or an unintended consequence? Idk, the iron man and hulk pvp's really felt like a long awful slog.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    For Blind Justice, I hit the max wall at around 100 points, right after I cleared the seed teams. however, once I broke through those max 3/4* teams, I started seeing easier matchups at 200 points or so.

The pattern for this season (aside from Kamala event, which I regard as an outlier) in pvps is seed matchups, hard max wall, then softer matchups. The problem is where the hard wall is encountered by players, and for how long. The hard wall seems to appear whenever your seeds dry up. The duration apparently depends on who is playing at the same time you are. I suspect the band increases as more players join in, allowing the AI to offer softer matchups.

So I think the MMR is fluid and relies partially on the teams that other players are bringing in at the same time you're playing the event. In other words, it's become a **** shoot how long the hard wall will last in each pvp event.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    darvish11 wrote:
    In short - it feels like now I have to play 50% harder and 50% more to achieve the same score. Is this the intended *new* play experience or an unintended consequence? Idk, the iron man and hulk pvp's really felt like a long awful slog.

To be quite honest, I think this IS the intended consequences from D3, that is to make the pvp matches last LONGER, and make the teams accumulate MORE DAMAGE. They want ppl to buy shields earlier in the climb (say 300 points rather than 500-600), and buy heal packs in order to continue climbing. Working as intended. icon_twisted.gif

The question now is whether the veteran players will continue to play the game under this new environment, or simply quit.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    puppychow wrote:
    The question now is whether the veteran players will continue to play the game under this new environment, or simply quit.

I have a (soon to be useless) level 220 X-Force as my highest level character with several maxed 3*s. I was taking hits from 290/270/166 or 270 teams before I hit 100 points in the Daredevil event.

Only speaking for myself, but if this is the new normal, I'm definitely quitting competitive play.

The game will really only be good for killing time while in line at the bank or grocery store.
  • puppychow wrote:
    darvish11 wrote:

To be quite honest, I think this IS the intended consequences from D3, that is to make the pvp matches last LONGER, and make the teams accumulate MORE DAMAGE. They want ppl to buy shields earlier in the climb (say 300 points rather than 500-600), and buy heal packs in order to continue climbing. Working as intended. icon_twisted.gif

I feel like that is at odds with what this game really is. Despite the fact that it takes forever to gain levels in this game, the game itself was still a fast paced mobile game that I can play anywhere if I have a couple of minutes & have service. Break time, commercials, bathroom, there is any number of times you could squeeze in a couple quick matches. Now the fights themselves feel like a grind, where as before the only thing you were grinding out was your score (if that makes sense) it was a grind to get a good score,but you could squeeze in matches almost anywhere or any time you randomly had 5 - 10 minutes to play. There was several instances during the hulk pvp that i started up my game , cycled through 20 or so skips & just set my phone down and did something else. The game itself feels like a drag now, instead of being a fun game that has a pretty bad scoring system ( in both modes).
  • Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    darvish11 wrote:
    puppychow wrote:
    darvish11 wrote:

I feel like that is at odds with what this game really is. Despite the fact that it takes forever to gain levels in this game, the game itself was still a fast paced mobile game that I can play anywhere if I have a couple of minutes & have service. Break time, commercials, bathroom, there is any number of times you could squeeze in a couple quick matches. Now the fights themselves feel like a grind, where as before the only thing you were grinding out was your score (if that makes sense) it was a grind to get a good score,but you could squeeze in matches almost anywhere or any time you randomly had 5 - 10 minutes to play. There was several instances during the hulk pvp that i started up my game , cycled through 20 or so skips & just set my phone down and did something else. The game itself feels like a drag now, instead of being a fun game that has a pretty bad scoring system ( in both modes).

I play on PC (Steam Account here) and I usually do it while wahtching some stream or waiting queues in other games (Hots, lol, and the likes). Now the matches are quite harder, I have to pay more attention and they will be longer after the change, so we will see how much I can play.

The nerfs to X-Force are a pin for me (is my strongest char), but I could live with it if the MM system wasn't so frustrating. I've been trying to climb on daredevil event with my still usefull X-force hitting 4k+ with green, and is quite hard facing since the 100 points maxed teams, so I can't imagine what I will do when I don't have that power on my roster :S
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    How can you possibly say that you have limited the search parameters to reduce the highest level seen in opponents?!

I am not even at 300 points yet in Blind Justice and all I see is wave after wave of this:

175 DD / 270 4 thor, 270 X Force

290 DD / 270 X Force / 166 Cmags

210 DD / 270 X Force / 270 Fury

I have one character at 118 and a bunch at 117. I have wasted 1000s in ISO trying to find a single playable match.
  • erated
    erated Posts: 10
    gamar wrote:
    MarCr wrote:
    erated wrote:

Hmm, okay. My question was in all seriousness and not in bitterness.
    I just wonder if they intended for it to be impossible for a 2* team or even a 3* transitioner to get past 300 points.
  • If banging your head against the wall hurts, stop. Not playing is probably the best message you can send them at this point, other than not spending money of course.
  • fmftint wrote:
    can you define, worth plenty of points?

Matchmaking runs a series of searches in order until we've found enough players to make up a batch of at least 5 opponents to send to you.

The first three rounds of searches are for matches worth ~20+ points (at the time we run the matchmaking search - you could win or lose points before you fight the opponent and therefore they're worth less or more than that). Then we look for matches worth increasingly less: ~18+ point matches, ~12+ point matches, and so on. At each step we let in players that are stronger relative to you as possible opponents for you.

OK if that's true why did I beat each circle once then it jumped to teams all with ~150 levels when have two players at about 100 n only very few in 80-90 levels range....I couldn't get over 100 points pretty much..this was the hulk smash PvP ....totally screwball
  • Tarheelmax wrote:
    How can you possibly say that you have limited the search parameters to reduce the highest level seen in opponents?!

I am not even at 300 points yet in Blind Justice and all I see is wave after wave of this:

175 DD / 270 4 thor, 270 X Force

290 DD / 270 X Force / 166 Cmags

210 DD / 270 X Force / 270 Fury

I have one character at 118 and a bunch at 117. I have wasted 1000s in ISO trying to find a single playable match.

dude this happened to me at around 100 points with two players 101 n like 108 n not even 3 maxd 2*s n a couple 3*s 80-94 range I really hope blind justice isn't as bad as smash hit pvp or I'm movin on to play marvels contest of Champions full time n MPQ as backup game...that's a threat will grrrr
  • Yep. Pretty much mashed my head just trying to score above 400 on the smash hit PVP. Same thing, I either have to spend ages skipping or just try and die. My thoughts are this is what they want. The new MMr clear states if you are playing a three star team or part thereof you should be seeing fully maxed two stars, or equivalent. So if you play one stars then you should see mixes of lower two stars and one star teams. This has not been the case. My fifth game in. I was still playing my one stars and the team that was matched was...

250 XForce wolverine. 250 Thoress and a 127 daredevil.

This new MMr is not working guys. You need to adjust it.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only reason I made it to 300 in smash hit was a couple defensive wins. Probably from other 2* teams who just got unlucky against my 94/94/140(hulk) team.