Changes to Versus Matchmaking [Update]

1171819202123»

Comments

• Re: Kingpin Event (Hostile Takeover)

From a 3->4 Transitioning player (using 250XF and a mix of 166 and hitting 1k), this one felt a lot better and was not a grind like before (Heavy Metal, Blind Justice, Smash Hit) and was definitely harder than the easy mode Teenage Riot. Was difficult and started facing resistance at 700 and 800 but did not feel frustrating like before where you would win 1 or 2 just to receive 2-3 hits to take away some or all of your pts earned. And that sort of play was happening at substantially lower levels (400-500).
  • ynglink
    ynglink Posts: 195
    ErnDiggity wrote:
    Re: Kingpin Event (Hostile Takeover)

From a 3->4 Transitioning player (using 250XF and a mix of 166 and hitting 1k), this one felt a lot better and was not a grind like before (Heavy Metal, Blind Justice, Smash Hit) and was definitely harder than the easy mode Teenage Riot. Was difficult and started facing resistance at 700 and 800 but did not feel frustrating like before where you would win 1 or 2 just to receive 2-3 hits to take away some or all of your pts earned. And that sort of play was happening at substantially lower levels (400-500).
    I'm feeling the same here. I'm almost done with the 2->3 transition and have started getting a lot of resistance around 700, which is still much better than most of my PvP experience.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    lukewin wrote:
    Not a fan of the new changes. I thought I was because I scored pretty well in IM40/Heavy Metal PVP and thought the Hulk was the reason that I did poorly in the Hulk PVP.

IM40, I used 1 3hr and was over 700 pts, I think. Yesterday, DD PVP, I finished with 397 pts, for 127th rank. So if not for my alliance, I'd have gotten 0 KK greens, instead of 1. Pretty sure I played for the last hr and a half, minimum, for my final push. All I wanted to do was hit 575 and shield. I think I got to the 540s. I had already climbed to maybe 400, in my initial pushes, I think, but of course, was knocked back down to somewhere in the low 300s. EDIT - I think I might have actually played the last 3 hrs for my final push, b/c I remember thinking once I hit my goal, I could shield to the end. I have a deep enough roster, with enough healers, that healthpacks aren't an issue.

I think I came out twice to see -80 pt losses, and my final screen was -68 point loss. Really haven't changed my playstyle, my roster has gotten even stronger, the only variable, is the matchmaking. The point loss % mitigation does nothing for me, when the amount of attacks rises higher, meaning I'm losing less pts per match, but getting far more attacks, meaning I'm losing a lot more points overall. I'm pretty sure over the course of the PVP, I lost more points than I gained. It would not surprise me if the #s showed that I earned over 1k pts in the event and lost 600, because I played a lot of matches. I really didn't even get to see the matchmaking, b/c I was overwhelmed by retal nodes. And I didn't want to just skip thru all of those, in fear of not being able to find winnable matches.

I'm solely looking to get Top 100, help my alliance get Top 100, and maybe score in the 600s, like I had been doing. With the changes, I don't think that's gonna be possible. I still play this game because of the people in my alliances, but I might have to stop, b/c I can't carry my weight, and don't want to be more of a burden than I already was.

Shielded til the end in Kingpin PVP. 821 pts. The matchmaking was definitely better / easier. I almost made it to 800 on 1 shield, and if I would've, would've just used an 8 hr til the end. Was one match away, but I wiped, was out of healthpacks, then got beat down pretty bad. So I used a 3 hr to shield in the high 600s. Got a few def wins, a lot of bounces off my shield, but all teams that were in my weight class.

Started off my hop with a wipe, but was able to climb to almost 800. Got a few attacks, while climbing, but I managed to finish at 821, some def wins mixed in. Managed to grab my CMags cover, and used an 8 hr to the end. 12 bounces so far, 10 right away, so better experience than last PVP.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Went from 385 to 875 without incident, ran out of worthwhile targets so I shielded.

Mix of opponents was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than previous events. Few 270 rosters, some 166 rosters, some 140ish rosters, a couple 100+ w/ OBW. Basically rosters on par with mine, plus a few above and below which is probably just the MMR not finding exact matches.

I can live with this.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Will, I am sad that it seems more and more like we are financially supporting designing novices or a grad school Kickstarter project or something. All of these recent changes seem to be so disastrously random and off the wall, with NO care or empathy whatsoever for your paying customers. That is an incredibly, INCREDIBLY sad feeling to have, man.

Not to sound overtly brash, but were you under the impression that the game was being developed by Infinity Ward? You basically are supporting supporting some guys that just jumped head first into the mess. As far as I know, there are some guys on the team that worked on the original Puzzle Quest, but this game is a far cry from the original Puzzle Quest (and even then, the original Puzzle Quest was a far cry from balanced - it just didn't matter there because it was a local, solo adventure). I'm sorry if you were under the impression, from the Marvel stamp on the front, that there were ten year veterans working on the game, but it's simply not the case (as far as I know).

I was under the impression that a game that I spend a certifiably insane amount of hours on all day everyday and put money into and have gotten many other friends and co-workers addicted to would have a staff being it that knew what they were doing. lol. As in, not randomly deleting tokens, not drastically revamping characters that they know good and well of people having spent thousands upon collective thousands of dollars on, not having so many server issues, not adjusting game wide experience every few months usually making things worse, etc etc etc.

Foolish me. icon_e_smile.gif

But anyways, things are a lot better in the PvPs now, but that does not excuse / hide / erase / mask the previous blunders. And it shouldn't.
  • Maybe a little too late for me. As a casual player, damage already done in that I probably won't be able to reach the Heroic 10 pack progression reward that I've always reached in previous seasons.
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    I am happy with the change, based on my experience in Hostile Takeover.

I am solidly in 2*-3* transition, with icon_rocket.png my highest level at 127, second best 3 star.pngicon_thor.png at 117, and a bunch of 100s 3*s.

Before this I faced a solid 166 wall at around 400-500 points, which I have consistently gave up progressing beyond. Today, for the first time ever in PVP, I breached 675 points. I'm currently shielded but I am also very confident that once my shield breaks I can still progress with a bunch of 140-166 levelled enemies giving 20-30 points each. I have never felt this confident. Also possibly helps was that I was lucky with my Kingpin draws and now have a boosted 151 featured, 50 levels higher than many, and working as a good scarecrow.

Regardless, I have never felt so confident in progressing in PvP. Thank you for this change.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Reporting in from Hostile takeover

What can i add that hasn't been, it seems to be fixed for now.
    Good steady climb up to usual 350 (stop matching me with OBW/Ares straight of the bat icon_e_wink.gif )
    Instead of the wall that i usually hit in the previous MMR it was a progressive increase, actually ran out of time/health packs so may have been able to push past to about 500 before hitting the wall/the big teams.

Will see how it goes in the next event but positive from me.

Anyone run the simulator yet to see if that's behaving similarly (reward structure their really needs to change)
  • roberts_2
    roberts_2 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    After defeat the first 3 teams in Lord of Thunder i get:
    • Thor lv.175, Hulk lv.166, X-Force lv.188
    • 1 skip: Thor lv.268, Original Black Widow lv.94, Hulk lv.166
    • 2 skip: Thor lv.290, Deadpool lv.166, Steve Rogers lv.166
    • 3 skip: Thor lv.227, X-Force lv.213, Hulk lv.166
    • 4 skip: Thor lv.213, Daken (3*) lv.166, X-Force lv.228
    In my team Invisible Woman lv.172 (no use), Thor (3*) lv.166, Hulk lv.166, Mohawk lv.153 and rest is lv.40~128. I'm finnish with lord of thunder, now i play one match in pve at night another at morning and rest is time for plants vs. zombies icon_e_smile.gif
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know this is a bit off topic, but, just a bit of prospective. Not meaning to come off as a **** or brash or whatever else. A lot of people seem to have similar view points, and some of them simply baffle me, and I wanted to take a second to address them.
    TLCstormz wrote:
    I was under the impression that a game that I spend a certifiably insane amount of hours on all day everyday and put money into and have gotten many other friends and co-workers addicted to would have a staff being it that knew what they were doing. lol.

Your spending habits, nor your gaming or social habits, have nothing indicative to say about anything except those things. I don't understand the point here? Because you thought it was cool you automatically assumed it was an AAA studio? You just have me scratching my head a little bit. You can say I'm over thinking it because it's "just a game", but is is "just a few hours" or "just a few dollars"? Probably not, especially with your implication that it's indicative of other things.
    TLCstormz wrote:
    As in, not randomly deleting tokens, not drastically revamping characters that they know good and well of people having spent thousands upon collective thousands of dollars on, not having so many server issues, not adjusting game wide experience every few months usually making things worse, etc etc etc.

A.) Nobody "deleted" your tokens - there's a couple replies in that thread you started, go check it out if you haven't - but in summary - there was a clerical error that was quickly (within 24 hours if I am not mistaken?). Nothing more, nothing less. Lord knows good ole Riot or grand ole Blizzard never make oversights. Well...there was that one time that Rumble had a reduced could down on one of his abilities for one specific skin because of an oversight. There was also that one time that 'virus' intended for pets only in WoW spread to players due to an error on Blizzard's part. I could go on and on, but I won't.

B.) Character and Item balancing is common place in any game with a competitive aspect (and even some without them). If you can't live with it, you should probably stop playing them (or brace yourself for the most stupidly pay to win game ever if you find this competitive game with no re-balancing). League of Legends does it. World of Warcraft does is. Defenders of the Ancients does it. Call of Duty does it. Halo does it. Magic: The Gather does it. Yu-Gi-Oh! does it. Pokemon does it. That being said - do I agree with all of Demuirge's balancing decisions? Not at all, but they're part of the ebb and flow of an online game. I don't always agree with CoD balancing or with League balancing either. Happens sometimes - it always works out in the end.

C.) I'll point to the above. It's totally not like amazingly huge games like Call of Duty, League of Legends, or World of Warcraft never ever ever ever have server downtime, huh? Nope. Definitely don't have login queues after patches or downtime either. Besides, when's the last time they had server downtime? The original run of DPvMPQ? That's pretty impressive, realistically. There's downtime on League usually about once a month (besides the once a month patch downtime), and some rampant horrendous lag from time to time.

D.) See above. Balancing and mechanical changes are part of the natural order of online games, especially ones with extended life times. None of the games I've mentioned are mechanically identical as they were when originally released (nor are they from sequels or multiple iterations) and have all faced mechanical changes during it's lifespan - League of Legends especially - and it's been a good thing for all of those games.

I'm sorry if you've never been par with the course on another online game or online ecosystem, but they are all constantly evolving, and they all practically work in the same manner. I'll reiterate that I do not necessarily agree with all of their changes, and I've voiced that opinion quite a few times (some of them even invoking actual changes for the community), but never would I ever begin to think. Overall, all I really want you to take away from this is really that whether or not they're the "big guys" or the "small fries" everybody makes mistakes - no matter what job you have and no matter how big your company is.
  • thbrown81
    thbrown81 Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Has the MMR been messed with again for Thor? I am running into 3* and 4* rosters immediately.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Gothic, you don't always have to defend them, do you? lol.

Again.....I shared my PERSONAL experiences and feelings towards all of this madness. My opinion does not deserve, nor need to be singled out, corrected, scrutinized, nor put under a microscope. I most assuredly have not done that to anyone else on this board. Least of all to you.

The End.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    MMR seems broken again with the Thor event... yup.

Either that or Im trying to play it too early but I keep running into a wall of 290/270/166. Fun times.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    This mmr is broken not only because Im in boss mode right from the start (personnally i dont care playin against my peers but at least double the isos.. Its a non sense to fight 270/270/290 for the same value than a seed team) but the balance of the game has been completely tipped in favor of the low scorers and thats where the mmr is **** up big time.. If I was hit by an attacker for 30.. I didnt care because until now i could find him to hit back 3-4 times and get my points back.. If i hit him for 45 (3x15) and him for 30 Im still positive and generally under a red nodes barrage ppl tend to shield up.. With the new mmr Its not possible anymore.. You just can hit back with the retal.. Because Its nearly impossible to find ppl lower than you.. Consequently it gives lower scores a certain sense of impunity because they dont have to fear to be hit back hard.. More often than not under the new system you just have to accept to be hit without any means to fight back.. That seems unfair.. Certainly i see at higher end new strats being developed pretty quickly to keep maintainig high scores but i find it very disappointing they phased out altogether the possibility for higher scores to defend themselves when under attack..
  • roberts_2
    The MMR works fine only when i don't have the OP char, rest of PVP are a short event for me (3-5 fights). Not funny.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    roberts_2 wrote:
    The MMR works fine only when i don't have the OP char, rest of PVP are a short event for me (3-5 fights). Not funny.

I think you nailed it. For kingpin, since i did not have him, i had a smooth road in that PVP, didn't get top 25 (wanted that green cover, grr) but, still at 31, my highest ranking ever.

Thor PVP, since Thor 5/5/3 lvl 142 , the MMR is basing my matches off of Thors boosted level, not my actual roster level. So a 5/1/5 lvl 142 Doom, and a random level 100 ( i have 3, (KK, DD, SG) been trying different combo's) .

Normally my MMR would be based off of top 3, avg level 128, But now since Thor is boosted to 268 for the PVP, it is giving me matches where it thinks my average level is 170, above the 3 star mark, so it thinks, sure he can take these massive teams.

I think we may have just found the glitch in the system.. now if they could just fix it!!!
  • roberts_2
    And extra mention to SHIELD Simulator. My experience is 2 fights (only 2 matchs), 78 points (as total points) and 365 rank. Nobody is playing the simulator.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    Definitely experiencing a change to my MMR for Thor compared to Kingpin PvP.

Thor is much harder. Getting all maxed characters immediately.