Changes to Versus Matchmaking [Update]

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    SteveMcM wrote:
    I'm seeing a return to sane matchmaking suddenly, anyone else?
    Yes things seem very different, and queues seem to have been opened up, I spent about 300 iso looking for an alliance mate and never saw the same player 2x
  • Wohoo, happy days, whatever they've done seems to be working very well, I am at a high points score by my standard (575) with my 94-112 roster and most of my matches seem still fair - some difficult ones, but its VERY DIFFERENT to the non-stop wall of 270/166/166 I was seeing about 300 points ago, lol.
  • Nothing to do now but farm like crazy while I can and wait for Hi-fi's announcement that they fixed whatever was broken icon_e_smile.gif
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    SteveMcM wrote:

We've made another adjustment to matchmaking, limiting cases where players could be matchmade against more difficult opponents than intended. This is live in all events as of a few minutes ago.

We're continuing to watch the new matchmaking closely and will continue to make adjustments as needed - thanks everybody for your feedback.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Will,

A vast, immediate and very noticeable adjustment.

I am the generic 3* transitioner with a decent maxed 2* roster and 3 3*'s in the 110-120 range. Under the old MM system I stomped lowbies to about 400 points and finished anywhere from 350-450.

The first instance with the new system (IM50) I got to about 600-650 points in the end and finished top 100 for the first time in my MPQ history, was delighted.
    The second instance with the new system (Hulk) was very different and I hit a 166 wall around 250-300 points, and that's where I finished.
    The Daredevil PvP was similar.
    And the Kingpin PvP I had the same experience, until about an hour ago, at which point the wall disappeared and I found myself facing off against a mix of nasty 94* combo's (Thor+Ares+KP, nasty), slightly above 94* combos (usually 2 94's and a 11x third character), and the higher my points climbed (& I climbed in my shards leaderboard) I started to see more and more of 'wall level' opponents - which for me basically means any team with high (140+) 3*'s. Eventually I reached top 5 around 600 points and now its nothing but wall - which I have absolutely no complaints about, I don't expect to be able to grind out to finish first in an event with my roster.

I expect overnight I will lose a bunch of points so the jury's out on this particular event, but even if I end up losing 200 points or whatever at least I had a blast of a time getting this high & it lead to a lot of 'margin call' type fights, which kept me engaged and challenged without being totally unwinnable. It's a 10/10 for me, but obviously it's early days.
  • optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    SteveMcM wrote:
    Will,

I am the generic 3* transitioner with a decent maxed 2* roster and 3 3*'s in the 110-120 range. Under the old MM system I stomped lowbies to about 400 points and finished anywhere from 350-450.

The first instance with the new system (KK?) I got to about 600-650 points in the end and finished top 100 for the first time in my MPQ history, was delighted.
    The second instance with the new system (Heavy Metal?) was very different and I hit a 166 wall around 250-300 points, and that's where I finished.
    The Hulk PvP was similar.
    And the Kingpin PvP I had the same experience, until about an hour ago, at which point the wall disappeared and I found myself facing off against a mix of nasty 94* combo's (Thor+Ares+KP, nasty), slightly above 94* combos (usually 2 94's and a 11x third character), and the higher my points climbed (& I climbed in my shards leaderboard) I started to see more and more of 'wall level' opponents - which for me basically means any team with high (140+) 3*'s. Eventually I reached top 5 around 600 points and now its nothing but wall - which I have absolutely no complaints about, I don't expect to be able to grind out to finish first in an event with my roster.

I expect overnight I will lose a bunch of points so the jury's out on this particular event, but even if I end up losing 200 points or whatever at least I had a blast of a time getting this high & it lead to a lot of 'margin call' type fights, which kept me engaged and challenged without being totally unwinnable. It's a 10/10 for me, but obviously it's early days.

If this is how it is now (which is what they said they would do in the first place) I will be thrilled. I'll give this a spin tonight.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    SteveMcM wrote:
    Will,

The first instance with the new system (KK?) I got to about 600-650 points in the end and finished top 100 for the first time in my MPQ history, was delighted.
    The second instance with the new system (Heavy Metal?) was very different and I hit a 166 wall around 250-300 points, and that's where I finished.
    The Hulk PvP was similar.

Might be wrong, but first instance of new MMR was IM40. KK was return to previous MMR. 2nd instance of new MMR was Hulk. 3rd was DD. Hopefully, everyone sees the benefits you are seeing in the Kingpin PVP.
  • Might be wrong, but first instance of new MMR was IM40. KK was return to previous MMR. 2nd instance of new MMR was Hulk. 3rd was DD. Hopefully, everyone sees the benefits you are seeing in the Kingpin PVP.

Oops yes that sounds right, thanks & fixed.
  • skippytx
    skippytx Posts: 89
    Thanks for the update, things are so much better right now at least that's my initial impression. I'm only around 200 pts right now in this PVP, I'll know more as I climb
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    SteveMcM wrote:

We've made another adjustment to matchmaking, limiting cases where players could be matchmade against more difficult opponents than intended. This is live in all events as of a few minutes ago.

We're continuing to watch the new matchmaking closely and will continue to make adjustments as needed - thanks everybody for your feedback.

That's really great, but if the weekend hadn't got in the way the "adjustment" could have been made earlier and 20 pages of complaint could have been avoided. How many walked away or said that they were walking because it became impossible to win?

Please don't do stuff like this and then ignore it for a couple of days.
  • Moon Roach wrote:
    SteveMcM wrote:

That's really great, but if the weekend hadn't got in the way the "adjustment" could have been made earlier and 20 pages of complaint could have been avoided. How many walked away or said that they were walking because it became impossible to win?

Moon...you are better off telling the water not to be wet, fire not to be hot.

MPQ gonna MPQ (amiright?)

easy...marc
  • Moon Roach wrote:
    SteveMcM wrote:

easy...marc
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    djsquillz wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    SteveMcM wrote:

easy...marc

It was actually a smart move. They make the change on Friday afternoon and get a few hours feedback. Then they go home and let the forumites rage for two uninterrupted days. We know that they aren't working so we can't expect answers right away. It gives the players a two days to use the new system, create the data the devs need, and time for the rage to diminish so players can think rationally again. Then on Monday, they can make adjustments. It is a decent way of handling a mobile game update.
  • BTW...i just joined KP PVP. I've seen no change.

Fight 3 seed teams, and then it's all 270 XF, Maxed Character X, and Loaner Kingpin

I even skipped each node 3x...same old kitty.

Maybe the change wasn't meant to make my experience more fun...you know, bc i'm having so much fun already. icon_e_sad.gif

marc
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    SteveMcM wrote:

still screw over 2 PVP events if people need those pts badly to make season totals they are now screwed
  • I'm glad they fixed it, but I have no chance for the 10pack now for the season reward. I just hope they know now not to do this mess in the middle of the season.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    Lidolas wrote:
    djsquillz wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:

easy...marc

It was actually a smart move. They make the change on Friday afternoon and get a few hours feedback. Then they go home and let the forumites rage for two uninterrupted days. We know that they aren't working so we can't expect answers right away. It gives the players a two days to use the new system, create the data the devs need, and time for the rage to diminish so players can think rationally again. Then on Monday, they can make adjustments. It is a decent way of handling a mobile game update.

We made the last matchmaking change previous to this on Tuesday, in preparation for SMASH HIT, for whatever that's worth.
  • matchmaking seems to be fixed for me finally, but what is wrong with this company? Let's screw the game up for "kicks and giggles" and call it "experimenting" after the season starts, and tell our peeps that everything will work itself out eventually... and we will adjust it then.

Can someone from Demiurge please explain what the impetus for the changes were to begin with? Who was the old matchmaking broken for?
  • Vinmarc43
    Vinmarc43 Posts: 266
    same here not much as changed for now, skipped a bunch, but still look like crapola icon_e_biggrin.gif , hopefuly it will get better.
  • you made it a weekend too late u should consider not making game-breaking changes over the weekend if no one's gonna monitor them