Season XIII Matchmaking - Discussion

Options

Comments

• What do you mean you don't know who is getting the good part. 2* players are getting the benefit in the short term because they can now get to at least 600 before being seen by any 3* teams. 600 may not seem like that much but that would put you in 4th place in my bracket currently. So they will be able to place better and get more 3* covers until they get to the point where they could theoretically max two of them to 166. Then they will be screwed like everyone else with 3* rosters. They already made the 3 to 4* progression irrelevant by making most 4* not worth the investment needed. Now they are making the 2 to 3* progression irrelevant as well.

We already have people gaming the PVE system by not leveling any of their 3* characters too much; that seems like the optimal strategy for PVP now as well.

I thought they said if you're near top of bracket you're always being able to be seen by other players? Looking at my own bracket there's only 1 player between #1-16 (16 is the lowest I can see) that has a transition looking roster, while the rest are all at least maxed 166s and generally has X Force/Thor/etc. Looking at the range of scores it wouldn't surprise me if some transitioners are sneaking in there but so far I'm not seeing that en masse.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    What do you mean you don't know who is getting the good part. 2* players are getting the benefit in the short term because they can now get to at least 600 before being seen by any 3* teams. 600 may not seem like that much but that would put you in 4th place in my bracket currently. So they will be able to place better and get more 3* covers until they get to the point where they could theoretically max two of them to 166. Then they will be screwed like everyone else with 3* rosters. They already made the 3 to 4* progression irrelevant by making most 4* not worth the investment needed. Now they are making the 2 to 3* progression irrelevant as well.

We already have people gaming the PVE system by not leveling any of their 3* characters too much; that seems like the optimal strategy for PVP now as well.

I thought they said if you're near top of bracket you're always being able to be seen by other players? Looking at my own bracket there's only 1 player between #1-16 (16 is the lowest I can see) that has a transition looking roster, while the rest are all at least maxed 166s and generally has X Force/Thor/etc. Looking at the range of scores it wouldn't surprise me if some transitioners are sneaking in there but so far I'm not seeing that en masse.

From Line chats with some other avid players, it seems like once a 2* roster crosses 600 or so they can be seen by vets, so they get decimated. At one point a guy was second with 450 and first place was a transitioner with 650 points. The vet couldn't find him at that point, but then he got closer to 600 and was able to queue the leader, and proceeded to hit him 4 times. It's just anecdotal at this point, but I don't think it is necessarily rank based. So my advice to 2* rosters would be to jump out as far as you can while vets are cannibalizing each other, then shield for the rest of the event.
  • my roster is not worth the mentioning .. , a starting 3* team with no real max or fully covered ones .

i read lots of what u guys put in here , and as the majority i have to agree , i cant do more than 3 matchs if am lucky and get a fairly close team without too much skipping , health packs , gone , and on the lovely up point that was implemented too , u cant boot more than 2 times , o , so any hope of trying higher or pushing more is slim to non .

i guess i just have to wait until i get a fully maxed out (30-50 ?) 3*'s , and by that time 4*s will be the old thing , probably there will be the new 5*'s coming out soon .

seriously though , like what 10 1* ? , 15 2* ? , 60 3* ? and 6 4* ? , how come 2 and 1 got dumped so much ? , was that the answer for keeping the game enjoyable? , making a jump for the players to 3* , and now to 4* ? , when the fairly new comers will catch up or get even a chance?

make some new 1's and 2's for the new players man , and let the ppl who are trying to build their damn 3 rosters do it , not keeping us (me included i guess) hop from one cover to the other just to catch up on what u dish out .

ps: starlord , totally should be a 3* , gamorra a 2 * , and groot a nice 1* .

• From Line chats with some other avid players, it seems like once a 2* roster crosses 600 or so they can be seen by vets, so they get decimated. At one point a guy was second with 450 and first place was a transitioner with 650 points. The vet couldn't find him at that point, but then he got closer to 600 and was able to queue the leader, and proceeded to hit him 4 times. It's just anecdotal at this point, but I don't think it is necessarily rank based. So my advice to 2* rosters would be to jump out as far as you can while vets are cannibalizing each other, then shield for the rest of the event.

Well the one person I saw that was a transition roster was around 600 and I can certainly see that kind of score holding on for a top 25. I don't know if this is the best event for a sample size because it seems like everyone has IM40 maxed so all the games take a while and don't really give you a chance of getting anywhere by playing as a function of your roster strength. I'd assume an aggressive shielding strategy would still work just as always but in reduced capacity but since everyone's just beating everyone else, a reduced effectiveness in gaining score is still pretty good when most people aren't even gaining any points.
  • Currently at 300+ points with about 9hrs to go in Slice 1.

Definitely seeing more difficult teams earlier on, but I am also noticing more 30+ and 40+ point matches that I can win. So while the grind is harder, I feel like I am grinding less since each fight is worth more. And I only aim to reach 400 pts anyway so can't really tell about the higher levels.
  • DecoyDuck
    DecoyDuck Posts: 620
    Options
    My feeling is that the previous season saw a level of synchronicity between shield cooldowns and the improved progression rewards (i.e. 1000 points for a 4* cover). While some player will always jump in at the final hours to break into a fresh bracket for placement, I found there was a lot more activity early on and consistently throughout the event - which seems like a good thing as players enter the event.

The new matchmaking seems to narrow the pool of players who are "aligned" to eachother's MMR. As a result, there's a lot more attacks throughout the event, even early on, for no better reason than there's not many other players that can be queued up (since they are outside your MMR). It seems like the better strategy would be to return back to the last moment bracket entry in order to minimize attack losses and maximize point values since those in your MMR seem to be visible despite having significantly higher points than you. One event is not enough to generalize yet. Perhaps it's all IM40's fault. We hope.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    puppychow wrote:
    See I'm not having this same issue as everyone else. I beat one seed team and the next match in that node was a max level 3* team. Beat that and my next match was a underleveled 2* team. From there the teams were all over the place. I climbed to 600+ on the health packs that were available to me and then stopped because I'd run out of targets worth more than 10 points.

When I checked ur roster last season, you had a 2* roster if my memory serves me right. What's ur roster like now? Still 2* or a bunch of 3/4*? If the answer is 2*, then I view your experience as strong evidence that D3 has put a chinese wall segregating 2* rosters from 3/4* in pvp matching.
    You're either mistaken or you were looking at my alt account, which as 3 max level 1* and a nearly max level 2* Thor. I parked my Jamie Madrox name on my alt account when I switched my main account name over to "The Legend". My main account hasn't been in 2* transition since season 1.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've been thinking about this gameplay mode, and I think I have a potential answer. For PvP to be "balanced" and not "4*s farming on 2* rosters" every fight is going to take longer and mean more. I've been hit more this run of Heavy Metal already than I was all last season, because why hit a 4* when you can just find some 2*s or 3*s to hit. So I get it, we need to bring balance to the Force.

So what if damage didn't mean all that much more? The reason why matches are so intense is the cost of 1 health pack is huge. 2 bad fights in a row and your climb can be done for. So here is my suggested solution that will hopefully help balance PvP and keep this current matchmaking while still making the game fun for high end players.

What if we got rid of health packs? Seriously. What if, so long as your character was alive at the end of a match, he went to 100% health and was ready to go again? If he gets downed you are waiting the 50 minutes for them to come back, or a shortened time for "True Healers", but otherwise you are good to go.

Benefits of a no health pack game: Takes tension off of fighting bigger teams. It doesn't matter that Deadpool is going to face you for 6 red, as long as your guy doesn't go down its a perfect victory. Matching against a minimum of 3* rosters as a high end player loses it's "threat" to your play time. You can play the game whenever for however long you want. PvP progression rewards would likely become a function of time spent, and not shields played or as much luck involved. People would fall into the placement bracket at "this is how much I want to play this event" and prizes handed out accordingly. Promotes roster diversity since having replacements for fallen heroes becomes a major factor. Gives some of the lost power of temp healing back to those characters as well. Ragnarok under this system would actually be alright since his temp heal is just as good to you as the AI, since he's going back to full after the match. Spiderman might also make a comeback as a protector. Also has an interesting impact on PvE where losing a guy mid clear can vastly alter your strategy or your success. Also Also Wik, hit points begin to mean something again. Thor is way more likely to survive a match than Kamala Khan.

Negatives of a no health pack game: Potential loss of revenue from health pack sales. Potential loss of revenue from sheilds if sheild hopping falls out of fashion. Rewards a time based playstyle over skill or speed.

Personally I think the negatives are well worth the positives in this scenario. If you insist on keeping the new matching system, where 4* rosters are basically locked into fighting 166+ from the jump, then I think the least you could do is allow them to play when they want for how long they want.
  • Can't be objective about it, it's pants. Too much time to get so little gain, I know it's first outing and all but this is probably gonna be the camel straw scenario for alt of us. Just my 2 cents
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    I've been thinking about this gameplay mode, and I think I have a potential answer. For PvP to be "balanced" and not "4*s farming on 2* rosters" every fight is going to take longer and mean more. I've been hit more this run of Heavy Metal already than I was all last season, because why hit a 4* when you can just find some 2*s or 3*s to hit. So I get it, we need to bring balance to the Force.

So what if damage didn't mean all that much more? The reason why matches are so intense is the cost of 1 health pack is huge. 2 bad fights in a row and your climb can be done for. So here is my suggested solution that will hopefully help balance PvP and keep this current matchmaking while still making the game fun for high end players.

What if we got rid of health packs? Seriously. What if, so long as your character was alive at the end of a match, he went to 100% health and was ready to go again? If he gets downed you are waiting the 50 minutes for them to come back, or a shortened time for "True Healers", but otherwise you are good to go.

Benefits of a no health pack game: Takes tension off of fighting bigger teams. It doesn't matter that Deadpool is going to face you for 6 red, as long as your guy doesn't go down its a perfect victory. Matching against a minimum of 3* rosters as a high end player loses it's "threat" to your play time. You can play the game whenever for however long you want. PvP progression rewards would likely become a function of time spent, and not shields played or as much luck involved. People would fall into the placement bracket at "this is how much I want to play this event" and prizes handed out accordingly. Promotes roster diversity since having replacements for fallen heroes becomes a major factor. Gives some of the lost power of temp healing back to those characters as well. Ragnarok under this system would actually be alright since his temp heal is just as good to you as the AI, since he's going back to full after the match. Spiderman might also make a comeback as a protector. Also has an interesting impact on PvE where losing a guy mid clear can vastly alter your strategy or your success. Also Also Wik, hit points begin to mean something again. Thor is way more likely to survive a match than Kamala Khan.

Negatives of a no health pack game: Potential loss of revenue from health pack sales. Potential loss of revenue from sheilds if sheild hopping falls out of fashion. Rewards a time based playstyle over skill or speed.

Personally I think the negatives are well worth the positives in this scenario. If you insist on keeping the new matching system, where 4* rosters are basically locked into fighting 166+ from the jump, then I think the least you could do is allow them to play when they want for how long they want.
    Don't get rid of medpacks entirely, have the heal to 100%, but make you need to use one to bring a character back up from being killed
  • Yea that is one option as well. Personally I like the downed heroes being downed aspect of no health packs, but if you wanted them in for downed heroes that's cool too.
  • If there are no health packs, which implies all your characters must start every fight with max health, you'd just immediately retreat at the start of any challenging fight if the board doesn't have a match 5 on it for every PvE fight.

It'd make far more sense either to have every character start with a burst of healing equal to some % of their max health or have characters take reduced damage from PvP.
  • Phantron wrote:
    If there are no health packs, which implies all your characters must start every fight with max health, you'd just immediately retreat at the start of any challenging fight if the board doesn't have a match 5 on it for every PvE fight.

It'd make far more sense either to have every character start with a burst of healing equal to some % of their max health or have characters take reduced damage from PvP.

You could have retreating lower their max health for a time instead of doing actual damage. Some kind of cowardice penalty. What kind of hero runs from a fight anyway?
  • Roswulf
    Roswulf Posts: 87
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    If there are no health packs, which implies all your characters must start every fight with max health, you'd just immediately retreat at the start of any challenging fight if the board doesn't have a match 5 on it for every PvE fight.

You could have retreating lower their max health for a time instead of doing actual damage. Some kind of cowardice penalty. What kind of hero runs from a fight anyway?

You could also have retreating KO one living character, determined randomly.
  • Yea also good.
  • I dunno how this is going to pan out EXACTLY but the Model 40 tourney finishes in 3.5 hours, I am currently ranked 20th and shielded. I should place top 50, maybe top 25.

So here is my feedback since I have no interest in playing more in this particular PvP:
    I have spent SO MUCH time to rank where I did. I have spent more time in this last two days playing this game than I do in at least half a week. I know it's broken but I've been attacked more, died far more often, raked in far less ISO because the matches are worth more and the losses hurt just as much and the wall is EXACTLY where it was before (550-600pts). Nothing there has changed.
    The simulation is a JOKE. First team was 166/166/210 X-Force. Firstly, I can't possibly beat that. I won 3 times and lost twice. So I have roughly 30pts to my name. 'Cause I want to grind through this bollocks for a bunch of **** 1* covers. Yeah, thanks.
  • Name: CapceH
    Event: Heavy Metal
    Slice: 2
    Roster: Maxed XFW and many 3*
    Usual PvP Placement: Top5-25
    Experience: Hitting the wall of maxed 2* and lvl 70 IM40 at 914 points, all worth 3-5 points. Hitting the wall a little late icon_e_surprised.gif
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Name: Ben Grimm
    Slice: 3
    Roster: 4 4*s at 180, 1 at 168, 30 3*s at 166, everyone else at soft cap (3*s & 4*s) or hard cap (one of each 1* and 2*)
    Usual PvP Placement: Top 25 or top 50
    Experience: Seeing teams that range from non-maxed 3*s to non-maxed 4*s. Mostly 3*s around 150-166. Have only climbed to 191 so far, since the bracket is pretty new and I want to take this easily if I'm going to get attacked more often.

Updated since I climbed some more:

Got a little above 500 last night. Mainly seeing 270 teams. Getting attacked constantly by 270 teams. Seeing very few non-maxed 3*s; maybe 1/3 of matches are 166s, most of the rest 220-270 X-Force teams. Whatever the matchmaking is doing, it's primarily matching me against much higher leveled teams.

This event is complete and total garbage.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Name: atomzed
    Slice: 1
    Roster: Maxed XF and 10+ 3*
    Usual PvP Placement: Top5-50, depending on how many shields I use
    Experience: initial 0 - 300 was tough since I was getting opponents with max Im40. 300 - 600 was similar experience, with a mix of 2* and 3*. There wasn't many max 4* I was facing. The climb from 600 to 900, surprisingly felt very smooth. Mainly because I still see opponents with 20-30 points' constantly, and they are not running max 4*. I manage to get my target of 1k (and my last GT blue) with 3 shields.

So to summarise, the initial climb is tough, because the opponents are more difficult. But the final stretch is easier. The whole curve actually felt smoother.

Maybe with some tweaks, the match making will be good.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Name: Tanis3303
    Slice: 3
    Roster: 3 maxed 4*s, 20 or so 166s
    Usual PvP placement: Top 10 - Top 25
    Experience: I cleared the 3 seeds and the 3 nodes then filled with 290 m40/ 270 xf/fury, 200 m40/ 166 Thor/Gsbw and 290 m40/ Patch/Hulk. I don't really have a problem with this. My roster can handle these teams, and I don't mind a fair fight. What I have issue with is that I climbed to around 250 with a team of m40 (mine is lvl 100 un-boosted), 270 xforce and 166 hood, switching out hood for loki here and there cuz hood tanks so many damn colors. At this point my health packs were empty, so I put it down for a bit. I came back an hour or so later to see that I had lost 75 points. That's...I mean...I was at 250!!

Here's the point where the transitioning players hop up on their soapboxes and say "Yea! See!? That's how we feel, welcome to our world!" Yea, ok, you're not wrong. But us "vets" have already been through this! What, do you think we started off with maxed characters and have been able to score well since we installed the app? Hell no, we took the same beatings that the transitioning players are taking now. I spent months barely scraping my way to 300 for the event token hoping to get lucky and pull a gold so I could advance my roster. I went balls out in PvE for new covers so I could advance my roster. And I kept doing it, because I saw a light at the end of the tunnel - once I completed the transition, got my PvP team leveled up, I was able to start doing better, score higher, save some resources and continue to progress. The transitioning players are super happy right now, because this new system benefits them greatly. I get that, but y'all aren't looking at the big picture. As you progress and move yourselves closer to where the vets are at, guess what? Your experiences are gonna look just like ours. Trust us, it's not very fun.

I'm on day 520. I've competed in every PvP event this game has offered. I got to 300 in Heavy Metal and I don't even want to play it anymore. If this new system sticks, I can't see myself continuing to play PvP. I already have a mode that puts me up against constant grueling matches for minimal rewards, but at least any points I earn there are mine, and aren't subtracted from within 5 minutes of me earning them. I agree that the problem of vets squashing new players needs to be addressed and fixed, but this is not the answer. I feel like I'm being punished for putting so much time and dedication into building up my roster, and that just doesn't make much sense to me...shouldn't progression feel rewarding?

*edit* Ok, so I sucked it up and climbed a bit...from 300 to ~550. Here's my new experience. I fought battles vs the teams I used to use to climb very early in the event before, before I would start to shield and hop. Teams like underleveled 3*s and undercovererd xforce's etc...translation: Transitioning teams. Now, when I say "early" I mean withn the first 12-24 hours of the event, leaving the people I hit on my way up all the time in the world to recover from it. So transitioners, lemme ask you this: it seems the vets are still gonna find and attack you, but now we're gonna do it later, towards the end of the event, when it actually matters. Y'all still liking this idea?