Options
1789101113»

Comments

• GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mjh wrote:
    mjh wrote:
    was there seriously no communication from D3 or anybody in red about this fiasco that happened over the long weekend? Look at how many players are upset about this MMR change, the least they can do is comment. Am I missing it somewhere?

They're not in the office over the weekend.
    what weekend? today is Monday and Monday is almost over

I was just responding to your statement. You asked why they didn't respond over the long weekend. They're not in office over the weekend.

I don't know about today. They might be out for the the 'holiday'. Some places in the States recognize "Easter Monday" and Good Friday as holidays.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was just responding to your statement. You asked why they didn't respond over the long weekend
    Ummm, I don't think he did, unless you're assuming his sentence was grammatically incorrect. "Over the long weekend" is referring to the "fiasco", not "no communication".

Gotta get back to my Easter Monday party now...
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    Only putting in 12 hours kind of invalidates your review of the event

More like 2 1/2 hours maybe. It took a little over 2 hours to get to 920, then I played for about 5 to 6 minutes for each hop afterwards. IM40s yellow + 4* Thor made battles pretty quick.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So this weekend I had to face 166-270 from start to finish. I entered this event and saw 2* teams only till 650. I looked at some of the rosters and they were very 2* only players. I should not complain as I was able to try ou different teams with Khan, but I don't think my roster was suppose to see this many 2*.

I will say I might have enjoyed the climb a little too much icon_twisted.gif revenge sweet revenge icon_twisted.gif
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    There is a ridiculous number of posts in here and I didn't read most of them, so sorry if this has already been said.

But this MMR change is ****. I'm a transitioner (top 4 chars are level 158, 158, 142, 142) and I finished higher in the Heavy Metal event than any previous event (22nd @ 812 pts). I'm sitting here wondering - why on Earth would I expand my roster at this point? What is the point, it's just going to make it harder for me to do well. If you want to do something like this, you need have a separate non-competitive season with lesser rewards. This kills the game. The whole point is to progress and grow your roster so that you can be more competitive. If that competition is removed for all but those who are already at that level, then there is no incentive to improve.

My 2¢ anyway.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Guess I'm in the minority here, but I haven't noticed a difference in the slightest.

In Heavy Metal I sat unshielded overnight at about 700 points, woke up to be at about 600, then shielded twice and ended up just shy of 1000. It was only because I botched the timing that I didn't get to 1000. I saw the usual mix of high-end characters and wasn't getting smacked around any more than usual.

I am in slice 3 for Teenage Riot, and I pushed all the way to 860 in two runs completely unshielded. I didn't start seeing the 270 Xor teams until about 700 points, and even then they were not nearly as prevalent as in events past. That might have more to do with the 4or nerf, but I digress. Until 700, I barely even saw any maxed teams, period. So really, I could say that this change seems to have made my life easier.

For reference, I play pretty competitively and average somewhere in the 800 point range. I can and do shoot for 1000 successfully when I want the progression and/or placement rewards. So I'm not a Johnny-come-lately 2* or transition player.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just reporting in from a 2* team
    Level 94s only, no ISO sunk into the 3* because none are adequately covered.... apart from icon_daredevil.png with his 5 purpleflag.png .... yeah

Clear the first Seed team - lvl 110 + 94
    Clear the second seed team - lvl 115 + 94
    Clear the third seed team - lvl 101 + 94

Ploughed through these ato find mainly lvl 94 teams so picked apart the weaker combinations. Skipped the lv 130+ (including a lvl 166 team), got lucky meeting a few lvl 80 teams.

The climb took longer but i ended up where i usually end up, 350 pts / top 200. Then the wall came back.

So pts wise about the same. Bit tougher climbing as there is more health pack management and running Daken/Wolvie in the prologue just to heal.

Previously i was meeting < 94 teams up to the 350pts wall.
  • At last we got some answers. Most people here were wondering about who would win the meme contest, right?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    At last we got some answers. Most people here were wondering about who would win the meme contest, right?
    I think devs are still working on a comment on what happened to MMR that doesn't flat out give away how the whole algorithm works.

We'll have a good idea about what changed once we see our initial matchups in the Hulk PVP, I think.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    Name: Lerysh
    Event: Heavy Metal
    Slice: 3
    Roster: Many max level 3* XF 270 TGT 250
    Usual PvP Placement: Top 25
    Experience: Entered and looked at the leaderboards. One guy shielded at 650 and then #2 has 370 points. Climbed to 300 points relatively quickly and was top 10 for a bit. Checked in an hour later and 0 attacks, still top 10 with 313 points. Didn't see any max 94 teams, but that's not unusual in the lowest scores for some reason, maybe because more targets? Did see a few with a 120 3* and a 94 2*, so it's possibly even more important to not level your guys beyond 100 until you can hit 166 with them. Before I would start seeing and hitting 94 teams in the 300-500 range.

It doesn't bother me that I can't see/hit 94 teams anymore. I shouldn't have been able to anyway with my roster. Overall I think the change is positive, but then again, I haven't scored above 400 points in an event yet so we will see.

Editing in new experiences as the event progresses: I am seeing more partially leveled 4*s than I ever have in the past. 170 XFs for example. Maybe I just didn't register them since I wasn't looking, but before I seemed to go straight form beating up on 94s for 18ish points to the 270 wall at 700. Now I have a kind of steady climb through 166 teams to partially leveled 4*s to 270s (although I have seen 270s already in Heavy Metal too).

Climbed to 500, and now waiting 3h for health packs (and a PvE clear). After a night of hits and fighting through retaliations I am at 575 now. So 75 points for a 3h climb. Not great. Top 8 people are all shielded at 580ish right now, and I seriously considered an 8h shield for my 580 points. Also not good.

To recap my experience, I placed 30th. I could have gotten top 25, maybe 10, if I had more play time, but it was Easter and I was busy (and I was keeping my PvE score up). So my experience didn't change all that much, except for the difficulty curve which was way way higher. I don't HATE the match system, I just don't love it either. It could be improved. There were many good suggestions made in this and the announcement thread that I hope the devs read and consider.

I do hate that so many people seem to think it's some kind of entitlement thy deserve to be able to hit lower ranking players. I do understand some of the arguments, like everyone is competing for the same prizes, and the new system seems to punish roster development, but I do not buy the "I've earn it" logic.

There were also some tales of 94 teams placing in the top 100 for the first time ever in their experience, and that's a great thing. Back when I had 94s placing top 100 or top 50 for 2 covers was easy. Now the entire top 10% is dominated by 3* rosters it seems, many of which don't even need the covers, but the season system keeps us coming back for points. I can tell you right now I don't need Hulk covers but I am planning to put up 900+ points in Teenage Riot.

Maybe the answer is to do 3 simultaneous events, "Easy" "Medium" and "Hardcore". Easy awards a single 3* cover to the top 100 (maybe 25?), with no 4* progression or placement reward. Medium is what we have now. Hardcore has the top 5 for a 4* cover, top 10 for 3x 3*, top 25 for 2x 3* and top 100 for 1x 3*. That way you can pick your poison, and all the 94s can compete in the minor leagues.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    Name: Lerysh
    Event: Heavy Metal
    Slice: 3
    Roster: Many max level 3* XF 270 TGT 250
    Usual PvP Placement: Top 25
    Experience: Entered and looked at the leaderboards. One guy shielded at 650 and then #2 has 370 points. Climbed to 300 points relatively quickly and was top 10 for a bit. Checked in an hour later and 0 attacks, still top 10 with 313 points. Didn't see any max 94 teams, but that's not unusual in the lowest scores for some reason, maybe because more targets? Did see a few with a 120 3* and a 94 2*, so it's possibly even more important to not level your guys beyond 100 until you can hit 166 with them. Before I would start seeing and hitting 94 teams in the 300-500 range.

It doesn't bother me that I can't see/hit 94 teams anymore. I shouldn't have been able to anyway with my roster. Overall I think the change is positive, but then again, I haven't scored above 400 points in an event yet so we will see.

Editing in new experiences as the event progresses: I am seeing more partially leveled 4*s than I ever have in the past. 170 XFs for example. Maybe I just didn't register them since I wasn't looking, but before I seemed to go straight form beating up on 94s for 18ish points to the 270 wall at 700. Now I have a kind of steady climb through 166 teams to partially leveled 4*s to 270s (although I have seen 270s already in Heavy Metal too).

Climbed to 500, and now waiting 3h for health packs (and a PvE clear). After a night of hits and fighting through retaliations I am at 575 now. So 75 points for a 3h climb. Not great. Top 8 people are all shielded at 580ish right now, and I seriously considered an 8h shield for my 580 points. Also not good.

To recap my experience, I placed 30th. I could have gotten top 25, maybe 10, if I had more play time, but it was Easter and I was busy (and I was keeping my PvE score up). So my experience didn't change all that much, except for the difficulty curve which was way way higher. I don't HATE the match system, I just don't love it either. It could be improved. There were many good suggestions made in this and the announcement thread that I hope the devs read and consider.

I do hate that so many people seem to think it's some kind of entitlement thy deserve to be able to hit lower ranking players. I do understand some of the arguments, like everyone is competing for the same prizes, and the new system seems to punish roster development, but I do not buy the "I've earn it" logic.

There were also some tales of 94 teams placing in the top 100 for the first time ever in their experience, and that's a great thing. Back when I had 94s placing top 100 or top 50 for 2 covers was easy. Now the entire top 10% is dominated by 3* rosters it seems, many of which don't even need the covers, but the season system keeps us coming back for points. I can tell you right now I don't need Hulk covers but I am planning to put up 900+ points in Teenage Riot.

Maybe the answer is to do 3 simultaneous events, "Easy" "Medium" and "Hardcore". Easy awards a single 3* cover to the top 100 (maybe 25?), with no 4* progression or placement reward. Medium is what we have now. Hardcore has the top 5 for a 4* cover, top 10 for 3x 3*, top 25 for 2x 3* and top 100 for 1x 3*. That way you can pick your poison, and all the 94s can compete in the minor leagues.
    Heck, at this point I'd settle for "hard mode gives no covers but gives triple iso for all battles and awards" :p
  • Teenage Riot: Slice 1
    I took Easter weekend off, so completely missed Heavy Metal. When I came back to Teenage Riot, all the teams were low 1-2* transitioners. I think I hit my first maxed 2* team at 450 and didn't see more than a few 166-270 teams until 500. Only took one hit overnight, by a maxed 2* team. These lvl 50, 60 teams are ridiculously easy -> am searching for some challenge. My MMR must be ridiculously low at the moment. Will see how it goes; may not even have to switch from a 2* team to get past top 100.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Will says he was listening to our feedback... which is weird, since I don't see too many people answering, "The new matchmaking just needs a couple of slight tweaks, and it'll be awesome!"
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Will says he was listening to our feedback... which is weird, since I don't see too many people answering, "The new matchmaking just needs a couple of slight tweaks, and it'll be awesome!"
    He was.
    Problem is, he was listening to the transitioners who apparently climbed to record scores in Heavy Metal.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

Based on my personal experience, PvP from shield hopping point was roughly the same. I made about 260 points in 3 hops, which seems about normal for me when adding in defensive wins.

The biggest issues to me were:

a) too much maintenance to stay at a score to climb from
    b) too much visibility to climb to a reasonable total before shielding.

The tweaks should address a) somewhat, it's b) where I still have concerns.