Season XIII Matchmaking - Discussion

Options

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got up to o just unde 500 points and decided to tak a break. This just feels like high end PVP from the start without the good points. I am using Xforce Hood, IM40 to go through everyone and it is worth about 20-24 points. I see maxed Xforce 4Thor, and maxed 166's and an occasional 140. I am so got hit for 27 points where my retaliation would be for 6 points. This is the least diverse PVP I have seen in a long time.
  • beeatch
    beeatch Posts: 13
    Options
    Really can't add more to this that hasn't been said, but this is the worst matchmaking I've seen. Casual players won't stand a chance...
  • beeatch
    beeatch Posts: 13
    Options
    Really can't add more to this that hasn't been said, but this is the worst matchmaking I've seen. Casual players won't stand a chance...
  • If they don't revert this, it may be time for me to just completely abandon PVP. This simply isn't playable. This is worse than Heroic Juggernaut ever was.
  • This is nonsense. All maxed 3* teams with a few 270 xforce as soon as I got past seed teams. I don't mind those teams after 500 points for a few fights before the lv 4 wall at 650-700, but at 100 points!? If this continues I'm done with pvp, it's just not fun.
  • I'm thinking progression rewards need to be changed based on the number of wins since you're pretty much fighting exactly the same teams from 0 to whatever.
  • Wow. All the people with level 200+ 4* XForce are very disappointed that they can no longer crush a dozen 2* level 94 teams on their climb. Did you think it was fun for those people to get crushed? icon_rolleyes.gif At least you are matched to teams with similar strength: you have a fighting chance. I'm still able to reach top-100 with my 2*/3* transition roster, and don't run into level 200+ characters that often. Mind you, when I reached top-50, they would start attacking me.
    To me, it looks like they made the climb a lot harder because almost every single game is a challenge. The 4* rosters are now in the same boat as everybody else: you win a few games, but you lose many points along the way as well. Why should you be entitled to reach 800 points with most of your games being walkovers?
    I'll even go one further: the entitled people with their single 4* XForce are finding out about roster depth. You're going to need more maxed 4* to get to the top. Like I needed more maxed 2* before and am now working towards more maxed 3*.

With this change, D3 won't have to nerf XForce. icon_mrgreen.gificon_lol.gificon_mrgreen.gif
  • DaPuzzler wrote:
    Why should you be entitled to reach 800 points with most of your games being walkovers?

Why? Because we're competing for the same rewards as the 1 and 2* players are. I'm not sure I would use the word entitled, but what is the point in maxing out characters when it apparently will now serve no purpose? It has also never been a cakewalk to 800. After about 5-600 MMR stopped affecting match making and everyone could hit everyone else.

If the idea is that in order to win your bracket of 500 players, you have to have a higher score than the other 499 players, then you should be able to attack all of those players, whether they have 1, 2, 3, or 4* rosters. There is no sense at all in segregating players by roster for match making, but not for bracketing and rewards. Want to only face other 2* players, never be attacked by 3/4*? Then you don't need 3* cover rewards you need 2* cover rewards. If you want 3 & 4* rewards, then you should have to compete with those players, be able to attack them, and they should be able to attack you.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, it went zero to whammy on me after the seed teams. I was able to get to 300, but it took a day or so to accomplish, and for my roster, that seems to be the wall. I used to be able to get to 400 on occasion. I don't think that's a realistic goal for me anymore if this is how PVP is going to be.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm shielded at 680. I've fought nothing but 3* teams right out of the gate, most of them with maxed or nearly maxed teams, most of them with xforce.

This matchmaking change has made pvp even more frustrating than it often was before. I really want that blue thoress, but it seems like I'll need to shield hop from 700 points instead of 850+ points onward now. Not fun, not cool.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Options
    I'm a 2* player and the simulator proposes me a decked out 166 team on my first selection. I didn't meet such teams before approching a 1000 pts before... Something weird is going on.
  • j12601 wrote:
    If the idea is that in order to win your bracket of 500 players, you have to have a higher score than the other 499 players, then you should be able to attack all of those players, whether they have 1, 2, 3, or 4* rosters. There is no sense at all in segregating players by roster for match making, but not for bracketing and rewards.
    The game never really worked that way before, though. Did you think it was just your cool roster not being worth the points that was preventing you from getting hit before 600? No, the goofy-**** MMR stuff was keeping you artificially protected.

The problem is that they keep trying to take into account these "performance" and "roster" variables when the only thing that actually matters to determine how "well" you are doing is your point total. I'll be interested to see if we still get "skip through the same three people" loops under the new system, but given the wide range of points I've seen I doubt that's been fixed. I simply do not believe that there is any point below 800 pts where there aren't any unshielded people "close" to my score, yet I see 10 pt and 40 pt matches, which is messed up. I would expect a system that's "working" to overwhelmingly give me 20-25 point battles, and that's never the case in the old system OR the Heavy Metal system.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Climb to 450, fall to 300. Climb to 450, fall to 300. Climb to 450, fall to 300. I'm not shielding before 600, therefore I'm not reaching 600.
  • I just climbed to 850 and all I found there was the problem compounded, don't care to speak about it any more. The only thing I want to know now, is this change final? Would one of the devs please answer this. If it is I can move on.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    puppychow wrote:
    See I'm not having this same issue as everyone else. I beat one seed team and the next match in that node was a max level 3* team. Beat that and my next match was a underleveled 2* team. From there the teams were all over the place. I climbed to 600+ on the health packs that were available to me and then stopped because I'd run out of targets worth more than 10 points.

When I checked ur roster last season, you had a 2* roster if my memory serves me right. What's ur roster like now? Still 2* or a bunch of 3/4*? If the answer is 2*, then I view your experience as strong evidence that D3 has put a chinese wall segregating 2* rosters from 3/4* in pvp matching.
    I'm pretty sure you're thinking of a different person

Might be a doppleganger with a VERY similar spelling in the username. Anything's possible. I wish I took screenshots, and I'm kicking myself now for not doing so. icon_redface.gif
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    Climb to 450, fall to 300. Climb to 450, fall to 300. Climb to 450, fall to 300. I'm not shielding before 600, therefore I'm not reaching 600.

I finally waved the white flag, and started shielding at 450, when I was in 10th placement in my bracket. I figured if I keep my placement, then the actual score doesn't matter as much. icon_lol.gif
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    Options
    gamar wrote:
    I'll be interested to see if we still get "skip through the same three people" loops under the new system, but given the wide range of points I've seen I doubt that's been fixed. I simply do not believe that there is any point below 800 pts where there aren't any unshielded people "close" to my score, yet I see 10 pt and 40 pt matches, which is messed up. I would expect a system that's "working" to overwhelmingly give me 20-25 point battles, and that's never the case in the old system OR the Heavy Metal system.

Umm this definitely is still there - I had this issue from 650 actually... shielded at 873 right now but only thanks to hitting shielded Crewsaders who got that high by retreat-boosting each other... well that ain't working as intended I'd think...
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Name: DrNitroman
    Event: Heavy Metal
    Slice: 2
    Roster: 250 XF and many max leveled 3*
    Usual PvP Placement: Top 50; 500-700 pts
    Experience: I entered a bracket around 48h mark. After beating the 3 seed teams I see teams with higher levels than usual. Mostly composed by 1 unleveled XF, 1 or 2 max lvl 3* while I was seing 94* teams at the start before. I made my climb over 24h, 2 or 3 fights in a row not more. The climb was tougher than usual but doable. Currently I'm sitting around 400 and have already suffered 4-5 attacks. I did a few fights only to stay around 400.

I answered the poll by 'I could live with that change'. Not because I like it, but because like many players here I'm used to adapt to the game changes without bothering to complain. However, I don't like this change: the difficulty is too high since the start which make the whole pvp discouraging and the sense of progression is lost: after playing 400+ days and leveling my characters I have difficulties at the 400 mark...

I liked having easier time at the start and facing 94 teams. But that was totally unfair for those 2* teams who tried to climb, I'm aware. However, I should have a sort of advantage with my leveled roster? What I think is that the problem won't be solved by tweaking MMR. I believe the problem is rooted in the competitive aspect of the game. I should have the possibility to have some easy fights without bullying real players with weeker roster than mine.

Yeah, I know... the answer is DDQ. icon_neutral.gif
    At least, when I play DDQ I'm not bullying anyone (unlike pvp) and I actually earn my rewards at the end (unlike pve)
  • Name: Mooglewrath
    Event: Heavy Metal
    Slice: 1
    Roster: 6 max level 3***
    Usual PvP Placement: Top 25-100; 600-700 pts

I think I have luck because my climb is possible.

I have 6 fully leveled *** and even if I was afraid when I saw 270/140/140 teams after the seeds team, I just skipped a few times to meet easier targets.

Now I'm at 650 and I challenged teams between 100 and 140 in average. For the first time I used a lot of characters (my 10 *** characters which are above the 100th level).

It's harder than usual but I think that if it's apply equally to all the players, the PVP will be better.
  • Elleby
    Elleby Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options
    Name: Tzvi
    Event: S.H.I.E.L.D. Simulator
    Roster: 5 max level 2**, several 3*** in the 40s-60s, a 3*** at 102 and another at 104 (My highest level character)
    Usual PvP Placement: Terrible, anywhere from 120-300 points if I am lucky

I just opened the S.H.I.E.L.D. Simulator and the following are my "seed" teams:

Seed Teams That Seem to be Decent Opponents for Me:
    2* Wolvie 94
    3* Luke Cage 66
    2* Daken 94
    37 Points

2* Mags 94
    2* Ares 73
    2* Thor 94
    33 Points

Teams That Will be One Heck of a Fight for My Team (Especially for Seeds):
    3* Falcon 123
    3* Wolvie 127
    2* Daken 94
    25 Points

3* Spidey 122
    4* Wolvie 158
    3* Hppd 94
    32 Points

Seed Team That Apparently Got Lost on Their Way to Fight Somebody Else:
    3* Blade 166
    4* Wolvie 131
    4* Fury 270
    31 Points

Why is there a max covered 4* as one of my seed teams? This is in the Simulator, the place where you need to get 1000 points just to get a progression reward that isn't a 1* cover. and 1600 before getting even a 2* cover.

My highest level character is a 104 Spidey!! Am I missing something here?