Season XIII Matchmaking - Discussion

Comments

• stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Name: nr4b
    Event: Heavy Metal
    Slice: 2
    Roster: One 166, seven more cover-maxed 3* (including IM40), a dozen or so in the 9-12 range
    Usual PvP Placement: varies from always t100, frequently t50, capable of t25 if I really want the covers and I have a decent featured character
    Experience: I joined earlier than I normally would because of the chatter on the forums. I beat three seed teams and was immediately met with teams that looked similar to mine (166/200+IM40/140 or so support character). After some skips I found one 2* team (94/100-ish/94) and one team with maxed out X-Force and Goddess and a loaner IM40.

I don't really like PvP in this game. I like actual PvP in other games, where people are genuinely competing with each other. A few seasons ago I realized that I was basically spending 40 minutes to make an initial climb, then coming back the next day to make up whatever I'd lost on defense, and then shield. So I switched my strategy to either joining in the last four hours and throwing up a three hour shield, or joining in the last hour and fighting to the bitter end.

Last season I made the 7500 season progression reward for the first time, and started to seriously consider leaving my "junior" t250 alliance for a t100 one. After just 20 minutes of this PvP I'm wondering if I should leave my t250 alliance for one that's exclusively PvE, because this is shifting a format from one I don't particularly like to one I do particularly dislike. Given that the current PvE is the first time I've deliberately joined late in order to get an easier bracket because I'm burned out, it's probably more likely time for me to take another extended break from the game.

On the one hand, having to fight teams that are similar to mine has an innate fairness to it. On the other hand, I'm not having fun.
  • Name: CRR
    Slice: I don't know what this means.
    Roster: 5 x 3* max, 162 X-Force, Model 40 = Lvl 150, Patch = Lvl 148
    Usual PvP Placement: Top 100. Never, ever have I Top 10.
    Experience: I must have been Hitler in another life for D3 to put me through an experience like this.

First team = easy.
    After I scored that 25 pts, everything since has been either maxed 3* or something really hard to beat. I can't win a match that doesn't lose me at least one character. I have lost altogether 4 times in my first 200pts. I'm also coming up against 180+ X-Forces everywhere. If there is a 5 green cover X-Force, skip. I can't beat it. I used to get this after ~550pts. I got this after 25. As someone who has a number of characters with max covers and I just need the ISO, this really gives me a good bollocking. This is very polarizing after having not only one of my most successful seasons but also most enjoyable.

Well done, Satan.
  • Various38
    Various38 Posts: 101
    I usually only barely get to 300 points in the events, but from what I'm seeing, I may not be getting that easily. I guess I can kiss my event tokens goodbye then.
  • You all describe my usual pvp experience. I have maxed 2* roster and no playable 3* yet. I never scored 400. I guess the devs just solved iso shortage problem. Now there is no point leveling my characters beyond 100
  • They turned pvp from a semi grind to one tier below pve type grind. AWESOME!!!!!!
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    stowaway wrote:
    On the one hand, having to fight teams that are similar to mine has an innate fairness to it. On the other hand, I'm not having fun.

I would argue there's not an innate fairness when the different levels of players are competing for the same pool of rewards.

Imagine a typical tennis tournament where they seed all 128 players, matching up 1vs128, 2vs127 down to 64vs65 in the first round. Demiurge seems to have taken the approach in their match making that players will feel more "challenged" and enjoy a system with matches of 1vs2, 3vs4 all the way down to 127vs128 instead.
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Slice: 1
    Roster: 2 x 166, 9 x 150~135, 23 x 125~100, 20 x 94~40
    Usual PvP Placement: Top 50~100.
    Experience: I climbed to 300pts quickly but from there on it's been some heavy attacks on me. I usually get attack but just not that many so soon.
    And now with 300pts I mostly see maxed teams worthing 17~23pts. IM/Patch/Laken
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    See I'm not having this same issue as everyone else. I beat one seed team and the next match in that node was a max level 3* team. Beat that and my next match was a underleveled 2* team. From there the teams were all over the place. I climbed to 600+ on the health packs that were available to me and then stopped because I'd run out of targets worth more than 10 points.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    See I'm not having this same issue as everyone else. I beat one seed team and the next match in that node was a max level 3* team. Beat that and my next match was a underleveled 2* team. From there the teams were all over the place. I climbed to 600+ on the health packs that were available to me and then stopped because I'd run out of targets worth more than 10 points.

Well yea, duh! Did you forget who you are!?! icon_mrgreen.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2015
    Name: grumpysmurf
    Slice: Four
    Roster: XForce 208, Thor/Cap/Hood 166, 11 others ranging 125-162. Fury at 5/2/2 and lvl 124, Thor is 4/1/4 @ 94
    Usual PvP Placement: Top 25, avg score 900-950
    Experience:
    Seeds, then a smattering of opponents around level 130-140, one worth 30, one 25, then mostly 15-22. Bit different than typical, where I can find 30-40 point 2* teams. But I'm also greatly deviating from my pattern, would typically not begin playing until later in the event, but holiday and horror stories here had me check in early.

I don't foresee a problem climbing, we'll see what happens come hopping time. I'm reserving full judgment until I can employ my usual timing strategies, but so far the change isn't devastating.

Edit: Update, climbed to 435 which is good for 1st in bracket thus far. Found a few max teams but they went away with one skip. Even found 2* opponent in the mix. Only used two health packs, while mixing between XForce/Deadpool and XForce/Loki.
  • Feel like adding a bit more to my other post.

Last season was probably the most fun I had with this game since I started over nearly 500 days ago. I enjoyed working with my alliance and those of Django,and other friendly alliances. Pvp was very enjoyable.

Now, look here just a week later and all the good you have done lately has been destroyed in all these "little" changes that have taking place.

It's no longer fun. It's no longer enjoyable. At least I get paid for my other job I have. Also less hours involved.

When u make the game feel like a chore, then your doing something drastically wrong. Please fix this before it's too late, unless your goal is to drive people away, to replace them with unsuspecting Noobs.

It takes an awful lot to make me annoyed at a game but congratulations, you did. PHU KIN EL D3
  • Vinmarc43
    Vinmarc43 Posts: 266
    Feel the same way fellow player, and I guess probably most of the other players icon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_mad.gif
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    tanis3303 wrote:

Seriously though. I haven't actively tanked since season 2 and other than a brief bump about 4 seasons back where I hit max level hell at 300 points, my MMR seems to have been pretty good despite being a fairly decent player.
  • vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 241 Tile Toppler
    Long time lurker, just joined to comment and share similiar experience on heavy metal.

Name: vinnygecko
    Roster: xforce at 202 (only playable 4*), 6 166, 8 in the 125-150 range, 11 over 100.
    I typically finish in top 50, top 25 if I'm trying hard, top 10 if I'm lucky, anywhere from 700-850 points.
    I'm in the 4th slice.

After the the first three matches I hit the 290 iron man, 250+ xforce immediately. Skipped three matches before finding a couple I thought I had a shot with, using xforce and 166 Daken with my im(buffed at 210). I've played 5 total matches and have a score of 121. Matches I'm seeing now are only worth 15-18 points, with 166 to 290 rosters. I barely survived last two matches, and the scaling on pve hasn't been any more fun.

Really only excited for DDQ at this point.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    tanis3303 wrote:

Seriously though. I haven't actively tanked since season 2 and other than a brief bump about 4 seasons back where I hit max level hell at 300 points, my MMR seems to have been pretty good despite being a fairly decent player.

You seem to have been accidentally assigned my usual mmr. Can we share please? I only like fighting swarms of 270 teams with my 155/153s when I reach the shieldhopping phase of my climb and we can all politely cower behind our shields instead of having retal wars on the way to 400. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Here is 2*-3* transition players observations. Started with 3 seed teams and BAM 150/150/70. well I skipped it obviously and got matched with 40 point worth 2* lvl 50-70 team. that was swet, after it I got matched with mixed teams of 2-3 stars until I reached 400 points. I was 7 th on my bracket, never been so high before. And I didnt use ony health packs either. My team was patch 104/ 2* daken 94(yes, seriously)/ loaner. Last nodes used doom and blade both 104 instead of daken
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    someone needs to explain to me why, when there is literally only one usable 270 character left (i would count Chuck as well but let's face it the majority of the playerbase don't have him covered) D3 would consider the 4* players as a separate tier while at the same time proclaiming that they want "roster diversity" in PVP. what am i supposed to fight xf with now? my half-covered electra? starlord? the beautiful but completely useless now tgt? and if i do put out those characters i will expect to get hammered by 3* rosters because they're not as good as LazyThor, even. it's not actually a separate tier when any 3* character can easily beat these characters. the only one that still stands out is xf.

there was supposed to be a 3-4 star transition, ie. something to give the 3 star players with a couple of 4 star maxed characters something to aim for. Now it seems like it would be better to just stay in 2* land.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    10628564_937523502932886_1798874847804730052_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=835f6799c1cf5aeac466cfc9bbbdd077&oe=55ABA57C&__gda__=1436869572_5bd4e198483d34b0c6989848bb19b13b
    Mmr is now roster strenghth related.. The stronger it is the stronger the comp is.. I made tests with differents accounts and it is clearly obvious.. Scaling is now part of the pvp.. D3 has accomplished the incredible feat to make pvp an endless pve.. Wonderful..
  • warcin
    warcin Posts: 118
    Since after the seed teams, it has been max level 3/4 star teams every fight. Like others I was used to seeing that at 500-600 but not at 150. In addition the attacks against me used to not show up until I hit that 500-600 area but I have now been hit probably about 12-15 times already even before I hit 300. This has made the slog significantly less fun. I hope they take it back to what it was, that was significantly more fun, even if that means reverting the reward levels to what they were as well.
  • I'm a veteran. Day 420, 2 maxed 4*, 13 maxed 3*, almost all heroes fully covered etc. I spent a ton of money in this game over the past year, all with the sole goal and hope the game will become more fun for me. There were good changes and bad changes, nerfs and new, exciting heroes.
    Unfortunately there was not a single moment in my yearlong journey in MPQ where I felt like Demiurge knows where they want to take this game. What their long-term vision is. How to ensure new players are carefully eased into the game, how to make transitions less painful, how to make sure veterans are rewarded for the money and time and passion they invested in this game.
    More often than not, MPQ felt like a ship without a captain, floating lazily in circles when not hit by an iceberg of bugs or a tornado of user complaints.
    The latest changes are at least systematic, pointing towards a future where veterans are swept aside to make way for new players willing to invest (after all, veterans only need to build a hero or two every month, while newbies have to build Xforce and Hood and Loki and Thora and so on and so forth). They tried to entice veterans to spend more by flooding the game with 4* and strong 3*. It apparently didn't work, otherwise they wouldn't have turned the ship so suddenly 180 degrees.
    I'm not sure there's a place for me anymore in this MPQ future. That's sad, because I like the game enough to put up with Demiurge's lack of vision and regular disasters. I like the game enough to put up with the added challenges of building an alliance and bringing it to top 25 before real life had me quit. I like it enough to reluctantly commandeer a top 10 alliance now, despite the added strain to my real life. Enough to post huge messages like this one on the forums, on the odd chance that maybe someone from Demiurge will read it and answer the following question:

Hey, Demiurge. is there still a place for me in your game?

Thank you.