**** Kingpin (Wilson Fisk) **** Updated (8/22/17)

Options

Comments

• IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I am surprised that I never see this guy in PvP - I can see that he is slow but I have him at 3/1/2 and dream of one day fielding him with Scarlet Witch and doing 5,200 damage for 6 AP
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IlDuderino wrote:
    I am surprised that I never see this guy in PvP - I can see that he is slow but I have him at 3/1/2 and dream of one day fielding him with Scarlet Witch and doing 5,200 damage for 6 AP

Slow is everything in PvP.

That said, he's my own personal unicorn (I have more Thing & Carnage covers than KP). so wouldn't be surprised if some of his absence is just a cover issue. I'm sure he'd be ok boosted because of the massive health, and most high end characters don't deal with countdowns well.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I doubt many,people have the covers for it, and it would be playable on the 2+ feature format, but soon or iron fist + switch + kingpin should be a solid simulation team. Has anyone tried it? Calling all whales!
  • Unknown
    Options
    IlDuderino wrote:
    funny you mention this, #1 person in my bracket had Hulkbust Kingpin Cyclops....try chewing through that much HP during a shield hop, I dare ya
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    IlDuderino wrote:
    funny you mention this, #1 person in my bracket had Hulkbust Kingpin Cyclops....try chewing through that much HP during a shield hop, I dare ya

Ain't nobody got time for that!
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    IlDuderino wrote:

I almost lost to a maxed Thing / Kingpin / Hulkbuster last PvE, lucky double 5 cascade gave them like 40 AP and KP started spamming purple and yellow.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    With a few lucky token pulls, I have my Kingpin up to 2/3/4, which isn't great, but is high enough that I can bring him up to 150 or so and use him against easy pve nodes. Here are some preliminary thoughts

(1) Kingpin + Switch or Falcon is a solid combo. Falcon is a bit harder to use because the enemy team must have special tiles, but the advantage is that destroying falcon's redwing tile is actually beneficial. Destroying Swtich's tile just slows her down.

(2) Purple isn't bad. It offer some enemy suppression, and is a function yellow battery. May be an overlooked support character for others with strong yellows (fury, cage, lazy thor etc)

(3) Yellow is meh. If all the countdown's survive, then it does a lot of damage. The thug tiles in particular are useful (as they are the fastest). But it's unlikely that they will all survive, even if you clear out the obvious matches before casting. And the muscle tiles are pathetically weak (not sure what mafia muscle is way more effective when NOT led by a Don). The power is useful as an endgame play if you have saved up a bunch of black. But that means that you are either casting yellow ASAP and babying the countdowns for several turns to get maximum benefit, or holding yellow until you also have a ton of black ap. In both cases, Kingpin is rather slow. . .

On his own, he seems a bit less useful than nerfed xforce, but probably a little better than elektra and starlord. In the right combination he is quite useful, but still not as good as IMHB or Prof. X. So Kingpin seems like a mid-tier 4*.

(note all opinions subject to change if/when I acquire more covers for him)
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Yellow is meh.
    I haven't gotten mine usable yet, but I think you're underestimating it. Depending upon what assumptions you make re: tile survival, your expected damage for yellow at 5 is somewhere between 4k and 5k. So the expected damage per AP isn't awesome, but you have to remember that his purple helps accelerate into it, and this is his second best ability. 500 damage per AP for a 2nd best power with a built-in accelerator seems pretty good. And his black is completely insane.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Yellow is meh.
    I haven't gotten mine usable yet, but I think you're underestimating it. Depending upon what assumptions you make re: tile survival, your expected damage for yellow at 5 is somewhere between 4k and 5k. So the expected damage per AP isn't awesome, but you have to remember that his purple helps accelerate into it, and this is his second best ability. 500 damage per AP for a 2nd best power with a built-in accelerator seems pretty good. And his black is completely insane.

I kinda feel like we are saying the same thing, just with a different tone.

His yellow isn't worthless. But it isn't great. it's a 4 match power, so even with acceleration it takes a bit of time to cast. And once cast, it then requires as many as 4 additional turns to have full effect (because the hitman tiles which do the most damage have the longest countdown). And because the countdowns spawn on three different colors, and because there are many of them, it's very difficult to defend them all.

So it's kind of like's MischiefMaker's old description of Fury's limitations. On paper Fury's yellow and purple look awesome. And they are pretty good. But they have limitations in actual use (fury's yellow requires a lot of ap counting to have max effect, and fury's purple countdown is hard to protect/resolve because it spawns on a random tile of any color). My impression of yellow is that's solid, but not quite as good as it should be because of the delayed effect and the difficulty of getting all the tiles to work.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Yellow is meh.

I kinda feel like we are saying the same thing, just with a different tone.

His yellow isn't worthless. But it isn't great. it's a 4 match power, so even with acceleration it takes a bit of time to cast. And once cast, it then requires as many as 4 additional turns to have full effect (because the hitman tiles which do the most damage have the longest countdown). And because the countdowns spawn on three different colors, and because there are many of them, it's very difficult to defend them all.

So it's kind of like's MischiefMaker's old description of Fury's limitations. On paper Fury's yellow and purple look awesome. And they are pretty good. But they have limitations in actual use (fury's yellow requires a lot of ap counting to have max effect, and fury's purple countdown is hard to protect/resolve because it spawns on a random tile of any color). My impression of yellow is that's solid, but not quite as good as it should be because of the delayed effect and the difficulty of getting all the tiles to work.

Against weak foes yellow isn't great but against high HP targets it gets good. When facing a Kingpin he eventually reaches a point where he starts spamming yellow every other turn (between match AP and purple spam) and it just ends up being an almost constant source of damage. His HP is high enough that its hard to bring him down quickly and he tends not to be the most dangerous opponent so he's either second or third to kill.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You play him for black. 5/5/3 and 5/3/5 are essentially the same build with a slightly different focus. 5/5/3 in theory puts yellow on the board quicker, while 5/3/5 puts in in excess. The key is that you have black maxed and have CD tiles whenever you need 5100 dmg for 6 black and a CD tile is downright awesome. I like the idea of just flooding the board with CD tiles knowing many will get matched but as long as a few survive long enough that I can use Finger Point of Death, I'm happy. I"ve just found that accelerating 1 color directly into the next isn't as good as it seems on paper.

You are trading 8 purple for 8 yellow, so if you were presented with a purple or yellow match what do you take. Many people go for the purple, when they could probably have gone yellow and gotten there around the same time.

That being said, going 5/5/3 allows KP to be a yellow accelerator and I know of a certain Thunder God that likes that
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    You play him for black. 5/5/3 and 5/3/5 are essentially the same build with a slightly different focus. 5/5/3 in theory puts yellow on the board quicker, while 5/3/5 puts in in excess. The key is that you have black maxed and have CD tiles whenever you need 5100 dmg for 6 black and a CD tile is downright awesome. I like the idea of just flooding the board with CD tiles knowing many will get matched but as long as a few survive long enough that I can use Finger Point of Death, I'm happy. I"ve just found that accelerating 1 color directly into the next isn't as good as it seems on paper.

You are trading 8 purple for 8 yellow, so if you were presented with a purple or yellow match what do you take. Many people go for the purple, when they could probably have gone yellow and gotten there around the same time.

That being said, going 5/5/3 allows KP to be a yellow accelerator and I know of a certain Thunder God that likes that
    If you really want to go 5,5,5 just bring LThor and Scarlet witch along for th ride. You will always have a CD for black or to accelerate Purple, for yellow.

The reality is even at 3 purple generating 5 yellow will get you really close to his yellow ability if the board is starved of yellow. 5 in yellow will also do more damage if the CD go off.
  • Unknown
    Options
    My Wilson is 5/3 (no yellow covers yet icon_e_sad.gif ) and using his black combined with Ant-mans yellow can get out of control. Purple into yellow into farming blacks. Good times. Not sure who makes the best third-wheel to this tandem though.
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    Options
    barrok wrote:
    My Wilson is 5/3 (no yellow covers yet icon_e_sad.gif ) and using his black combined with Ant-mans yellow can get out of control. Purple into yellow into farming blacks. Good times. Not sure who makes the best third-wheel to this tandem though.

Scarlet Witch's blue has a countdown that you can use with Wilson's black or let it go create more purple. I'm creating a second Witch because she is so helpful.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    Options
    They call me pissed

Are they kidding with this?!?

Wilson's Gambit costs 6 AP, there are constantly countdown tiles on the board due to the goons. Each Wilson's Gambit does 4,500 damage. This is just obnoxious.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    i know it should be difficult, but this is pretty ridiculous.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My first time with that node, I obliterated him via one of those "oh look each match-5 you get sets up another match-5" chain. I dropped four straight match-5's on him and then cascaded him. I'm afraid to play it a second time for fear of AI vengeance.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That will show you for allowing Fisk to finger poke you. Man is a beast of a person. Stay away from his finger.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    Options
    That will show you for allowing Fisk to finger poke you. Man is a beast of a person. Stay away from his finger.

oh-thats-terrifying.gif
  • Pull_1b44f3_1516914.gif