*** Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) ***

Options

Comments

• dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Her purple isn't doing a lot because you only have 1 cover in it. I'm at 4 and you can fairly reliably assume any tile of the color you choose is turning green for a 5 match - 5 covers will guarantee that. Mine is at 4/4/4 with 1 green coming soon from PvE progression. At 3/4/4 she was topping my essential characters pretty easily, I don't see a need for the extra 2 covers. In PvE an ability usually kills you so the main concern is keeping up with match damage which 3 covers does perfectly fine.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    I'm thinking Luke Cage/Kamal Khan. Seriously you prevent damage and heal if any gets through, this is one of the best defense combos, not to mention Cage's black is very spammable and you have a scary duo. I would say throw in Iron Fist for fun.

I'm using Dino as the third there. His dancing into her heal is so infuriating I almost broke my own phone. And I could have stopped doing it if I wanted.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    Her purple isn't doing a lot because you only have 1 cover in it. I'm at 4 and you can fairly reliably assume any tile of the color you choose is turning green for a 5 match - 5 covers will guarantee that. Mine is at 4/4/4 with 1 green coming soon from PvE progression. At 3/4/4 she was topping my essential characters pretty easily, I don't see a need for the extra 2 covers. In PvE an ability usually kills you so the main concern is keeping up with match damage which 3 covers does perfectly fine.
    It's not just the fact that the ability isn't doing much it's also paired with the fact that it's just not coming out that often. I've gotten maybe only one of it out in a game whereas I get tons of mutant revolutionaries. For me I think that having more points in BOTB would be a little bit more beneficial considering. At least paired with grocket/Cyclops that is. Anyone else, maybe i'm wrong but for now a 5/3/5 seems optimal
  • SirPhobos wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I'm thinking Luke Cage/Kamal Khan. Seriously you prevent damage and heal if any gets through, this is one of the best defense combos, not to mention Cage's black is very spammable and you have a scary duo. I would say throw in Iron Fist for fun.
    I'm using Dino as the third there. His dancing into her heal is so infuriating I almost broke my own phone. And I could have stopped doing it if I wanted.
    Team Safety Dance: Kamala/Dino/Star Lord. Use Star Lord's yellow to dance your way to unlimited healing. Because we can dance if we want to.
  • dkffiv
    Options
    Cyclopes wrote:
    It's not just the fact that the ability isn't doing much it's also paired with the fact that it's just not coming out that often. I've gotten maybe only one of it out in a game whereas I get tons of mutant revolutionaries. For me I think that having more points in BOTB would be a little bit more beneficial considering. At least paired with grocket/Cyclops that is. Anyone else, maybe i'm wrong but for now a 5/3/5 seems optimal

The problem is you don't have enough covers for it. For a cost increase of 1 her ability is, on paper, superior to MR. Her purple conversion is 1+ 4/5/7 for 3/4/5 covers, Cyclops is 6/7/8 tiles. The difference is you can guarantee at least one of the tiles changed and she can repeat cast whereas Cyclops runs out of TU tiles unless you spam red to board shake. For a near identical cost the only reason you'd be using MR more is because you're prioritizing yellow over purple.

MR is nice though because I absolutely hate TU tiles and getting rid of them makes my day. I've been bringing rainbow teams with Kamala and I have a tough time deciding which color to "destroy" as it takes a very long time for the board to restock those colors. I've been mostly picking purple + yellow since my green/blue/black/red tend to be really strong.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    Cyclopes wrote:

The problem is you don't have enough covers for it. For a cost increase of 1 her ability is, on paper, superior to MR. Her purple conversion is 1+ 4/5/7 for 3/4/5 covers, Cyclops is 6/7/8 tiles. The difference is you can guarantee at least one of the tiles changed and she can repeat cast whereas Cyclops runs out of TU tiles unless you spam red to board shake. For a near identical cost the only reason you'd be using MR more is because you're prioritizing yellow over purple.

MR is nice though because I absolutely hate TU tiles and getting rid of them makes my day. I've been bringing rainbow teams with Kamala and I have a tough time deciding which color to "destroy" as it takes a very long time for the board to restock those colors. I've been mostly picking purple + yellow since my green/blue/black/red tend to be really strong.
    I get what your saying but it's not just that i'm prioritizing yellow because frankly I am with three characters having a yellow ability, legitimately planned on spamming the board with optic blasts, but it's also that i'm not finding purple. I get that it's probably because i'm trying to flood the board with yellow to guarantee as many mrs and optic blasts as possible. I get lucky for 1 purple in a game
  • dkffiv
    Options
    Cyclopes wrote:
    I get what your saying but it's not just that i'm prioritizing yellow because frankly I am with three characters having a yellow ability, legitimately planned on spamming the board with optic blasts, but it's also that i'm not finding purple. I get that it's probably because i'm trying to flood the board with yellow to guarantee as many mrs and optic blasts as possible. I get lucky for 1 purple in a game

I almost always bring a rainbow team but for the matches I can't I'm usually lacking a purple user. In those games I noticed that 1/5th of the board is purple and I'm forced to gain useless AP while setting up 4 + 5 matches of useful colors for my opponent. In the current PvE the AI tends to have Moonstone/Bullseye/Yelena so they actively match purple. On the essentials I've been averaging 1 or 2 Kamala purples a game.
  • Cyclopes wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    Cyclopes wrote:

*Takes a breath*

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far, away, players used to use purpleflag.png for Magstorm. Magstorm may be gone, but the purpletile.png is still here. Feel it within you. Don't let Winfinite's nerfing cloud your mind. Collect the purpletile.png. It isn't all that hard. And when you collect the purpletile.png, you can turn purpletile.png into ANYTHING! Even bluecrit.pnggreencrit.pngpurplecrit.pngredcrit.pngyellowcrit.png !
  • If you're only using her to top off or even worse, deal with match damage, you might as well run Luke Cage who can do all that by just standing there. Her heal is powerful enough so that you can get through a situation like say the enemy got an early Onslaught for 4K and then later got a Sunder for 7K. Currently when this happens anyone that isn't Thor 4* is going to be downed because no regenerating character can take a Sunder and everyone else can't take just those two hits put together even without any incidental match damage. Yes whoever took that Sunder is going to need a health pack after the fight but you can worry about that stuff after you win since having Sunder down a guy can cause you to lose the fight outright. I don't like to play defensively but the above scenario is very common and likely more common with the boost nerf. It's just not that hard when your enemies are level 300+ that they get two moves off and currently this just means someone goes down, but now you have a chance to be able to survive their second move. I still favor the 'best defense is a good offense' but I know there are plenty of times where this doesn't work so I'm at least going to think about mixing up my team.

I don't see the value in purple because Iron Fist easily holds the best purple ability in the game whether KK's purple is at 3 or 5, while KK's green at level 5 can be situationally better than X Force (it'll do more damage/AP, without the utility/cascade). For the heroic setup, her green is likely the best green in the game because X Force has never been available in heroics, and in this case it's much harder to decide the yellow/purple mix as you can no longer be as sure to have Iron Fist on your side and her purple is indeed quite good when compared to anyone that isn't Iron Fist.
  • Phantron wrote:
    If you're only using her to top off or even worse, deal with match damage, you might as well run Luke Cage who can do all that by just standing there. Her heal is powerful enough so that you can get through a situation like say the enemy got an early Onslaught for 4K and then later got a Sunder for 7K. Currently when this happens anyone that isn't Thor 4* is going to be downed because no regenerating character can take a Sunder and everyone else can't take just those two hits put together even without any incidental match damage. Yes whoever took that Sunder is going to need a health pack after the fight but you can worry about that stuff after you win since having Sunder down a guy can cause you to lose the fight outright. I don't like to play defensively but the above scenario is very common and likely more common with the boost nerf. It's just not that hard when your enemies are level 300+ that they get two moves off and currently this just means someone goes down, but now you have a chance to be able to survive their second move. I still favor the 'best defense is a good offense' but I know there are plenty of times where this doesn't work so I'm at least going to think about mixing up my team.

I don't see the value in purple because Iron Fist easily holds the best purple ability in the game whether KK's purple is at 3 or 5, while KK's green at level 5 can be situationally better than X Force (it'll do more damage/AP, without the utility/cascade). For the heroic setup, her green is likely the best green in the game because X Force has never been available in heroics, and in this case it's much harder to decide the yellow/purple mix as you can no longer be as sure to have Iron Fist on your side and her purple is indeed quite good when compared to anyone that isn't Iron Fist.

Her purple still has value in a world where Polarity shifts get nerfed
  • raisinbman wrote:

Her purple still has value in a world where Polarity shifts get nerfed

Her purple is plenty good, but Iron Fist is just that much better.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    Options
    finally got a chance to play her - she's nigh useless at the level i have, but can i say: kudos to the devs, SHE'S SUPER CUTE omg

fav artwork in a while!
  • I haven't played pve at all this run. I usually just decide when a pve has a score as high as 65000 and there's a 4* as a reward to just sit it out. My stuff has mainly just been in PVP with the grocket/kamala/Cyclops team(whom I actually have one now unlike my sig implies) and it's worked really really well. Considering i'm committing to cyke being the big damage on full blast and optic blast. And i'm setting up embiggened with I got a plan people fall really really quickly. I just really don't think that for the specific situation I've been using her for her purple is that useful.

Also i'd love to use a luke cage but sadly my luke cage is only 2/1/1. The grocket/cyke/kahn team is really the best team I can field currently.
  • dkffiv
    Options
    Cyclopes wrote:
    I haven't played pve at all this run. I usually just decide when a pve has a score as high as 65000 and there's a 4* as a reward to just sit it out. My stuff has mainly just been in PVP with the grocket/kamala/Cyclops team(whom I actually have one now unlike my sig implies) and it's worked really really well. Considering i'm committing to cyke being the big damage on full blast and optic blast. And i'm setting up embiggened with I got a plan people fall really really quickly. I just really don't think that for the specific situation I've been using her for her purple is that useful.

Also i'd love to use a luke cage but sadly my luke cage is only 2/1/1. The grocket/cyke/kahn team is really the best team I can field currently.

If maxed and ordered properly Groot will tank for Kamala which will be nice. At 153 4 cover Kamala green does 2.2k, 5 cover raises that to 3.1k. The difference from 1 cover to 5 cover is roughly 2.5x so if you manage to get her covers you will almost always use her green over Groot's. If you get to that point you'd want Groot 5/3/5 since you'll never touch his green anyway, let him tank over half the board and you got abilities on every color.

I just maxed Cyclops last PvE, maxed Groot during Black Vortex and I'll probably max Kamala once I get her green cover from progression. Team comp doesn't seem bad, probably B to B+. It can probably take 250 to maybe even 300 nodes but I'm not sure about 395's. Depends on how well Groot can tank while running around trying to gather AP.

The more I think about it the more I like Kamala's purple. You can use it to deny an enemy's AP to reduce the chances of you getting screwed by cascades. If Ares is at 7 yellow you can try to remove most of if from the board with purple and thus focus on the color you want rather than denying yellow at all costs. Same thing on a Juggernaut node, hit red as often as possible with it. Because of that I would value her purple over cyc's yellow by a large margin.
  • just curious, who updates new characters on wiki? KK isnt there yet and I usually go there to see stats at maxed level
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    hexad_2808 wrote:
    just curious, who updates new characters on wiki? KK isnt there yet and I usually go there to see stats at maxed level
    Everyone. It's your turn, I've honestly been a little angry at you for slacking off on your duty. icon_lol.gif
  • i'll try when I get home, using tor at work icon_e_sad.gif
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Her purple is plenty good, but Iron Fist is just that much better.

This is true. And I think it'll probably determine what role Kamala ends up settling in.

I've got Kamala at 3/3/1 currently, and have mostly been running her with XF and IF - both in TaT and PvP. IF's purple almost always wins out due to cheaper cost and flexible usage. Ultimately, I think that really just means Iron Fist is the superior partner for XF Wolverine. I hadn't full considered how highly rated Kamala's green is in the 3* tier, but it really is good enough that running a 5/5/3 Kamala just to fuel Thor is not a great idea. I'd say it's an equally poor idea to run a 5/5/3 Thor just to fuel a Rank 5 green from Kamala.

I'm starting to think that 5/3/5 or 4/4/5 might be the more optimal build.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    Ultimately, I think that really just means Iron Fist is the superior partner for XF Wolverine.
    Usually, yes, so I guess this means the best build for her would be for situations when XF isn't available, which for me means 3 in yellow.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh my god you guys I just noticed that when you take Khan into battle she gives the opponent bunny ears

jWM0bQX.jpg

oh my gooooodddddddd :3:3:3