*** Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) ***

Options

Comments

• Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nothing against Kamala Khan (except for in-game art - somehow she looks like she's in her 30's than teen), but I would've loved if d3 completed the F4 roster by introducing Mr. Fantastic than Ms. Marvel.
  • Marty17 wrote:
    Nothing against MissStretchyPants (except for in-game art - somehow she looks like she's in her 30's than teen), but I would've loved if d3 completed the F4 roster by introducing Mr. Fantastic than Ms. Marvel.

Fantastic Four are low priority they cancelled the comic so you're gonna have to wait

And....the fantastic 4 aren't complete without 4 members so I'm not sure if this is april fool's or not
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Marty17 wrote:
    Nothing against MissStretchyPants (except for in-game art - somehow she looks like she's in her 30's than teen), but I would've loved if d3 completed the F4 roster by introducing Mr. Fantastic than Ms. Marvel.

Fantastic Four are low priority they cancelled the comic so you're gonna have to wait

And....the fantastic 4 aren't complete without 4 members so I'm not sure if this is april fool's or not

I know, but couldn't help to hold out hope in seeing some new characters with classic covers from years ago, maybe F4 can relive the golden years. However I admit it's true that F4 might get overlooked based upon the cancellation of the comics, but a guy can hope (especially a character with similar ability/animation as a fellow F4 member brings a lazy introduction of Reed Richards).
  • Marty17 wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Marty17 wrote:

I know, but couldn't help to hold out hope in seeing some new characters with classic covers from years ago, maybe F4 can relive the golden years. However I admit it's true that F4 might get overlooked based upon the cancellation of the comics, but a guy can hope (especially a character with similar ability/animation as a fellow F4 member brings a lazy introduction of Reed Richards).

Speaking as a dedicated FF fan, I think all the evidence points to a licensing freeze on them at present. The comic sales weren't cancellation level, and they are totally absent from licensing since about the middle of last year. I don't think Marvel will approve them in the game right now.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Considering the variant covers they changed to for March, I'm hoping they change her's to a more appropriate cover like this one that GuntherBlobel suggested:
    Here's what I think some people want the MissStretchyPants art to look like:
    52e6c3c8df654.jpg

Or this one:
    250px-Kamala_Khan.jpg

We can all hope they change her menu image to look more like that rather than the 40 year old housewife she currently resembles.
    They changed Wolverine, why can't they change Kamala Khan.
  • Demolira
    Demolira Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options
    I played against a Magneto Now/Daken/Kamala team in Balance of Power today, and Bring out the Best was triggering every turn. My guess is that Healing and Heat was triggering it, but since I hadn't damaged Daken yet, the Healing and Heat popup wasn't appearing when there was enough Blue on the screen.

I'll have Kamala tonight, so I'll verify this behavior with my own team then. Has anyone else seen this behavior?
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Demolira wrote:
    I played against a JosephXornMax Now/Nananananananana…Tatman!/MissStretchyPants team in Balance of Power today, and Bring out the Best was triggering every turn. My guess is that Healing and Heat was triggering it, but since I hadn't damaged Nananananananana…Tatman! yet, the Healing and Heat popup wasn't appearing when there was enough Blue on the screen.

I'll have MissStretchyPants tonight, so I'll verify this behavior with my own team then. Has anyone else seen this behavior?
    It shouldn't and I just to be sure I tested out Daken. Healing and Heat doesn't trigger healing, but Chemical Reaction does, as it should. Some matches, it may seem like Daken is getting his blueflag.png every turn, especially with mnMags feeding bluetile.png AP.
  • Ok, you see that art in the TaT token for Kamala Khan? Use that for her character art. And get that 40 year old lady out of there.
  • Now that we've confirmed that the converted colors are all of one color, her purple is amazing. It's like Cyclops' Mutant Revolutionary, but on the color you CHOOSE! If done right you'll often get at least one line clear or crit making possibility.
    Simple simulations don't do her purple ability justice.

Has anyone tried her with LazyThor yet?
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Demolira wrote:
    I played against a Magneto Now/Daken/Kamala team in Balance of Power today, and Bring out the Best was triggering every turn. My guess is that Healing and Heat was triggering it, but since I hadn't damaged Daken yet, the Healing and Heat popup wasn't appearing when there was enough Blue on the screen.

Yeah, I think there are some conditions where "when a teammate uses a power" passives can trigger every turn. I've seen it in one of the ProfessorX nodes in the Gauntlet. It doesn't happen everytime, but I've seen it happen. Come to think of it, it was in the node where he's teamed with Luke Cage, so it's possible his passive was being triggered by Unbreakable.
  • Demolira
    Demolira Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options
    I haven't encountered another Kamala team yet, so I haven't been able to try it again. When I used Daken/Kamala myself, I didn't see it triggering.
  • daibar wrote:
    Now that we've confirmed that the converted colors are all of one color, her purple is amazing. It's like Cyclops' Mutant Revolutionary, but on the color you CHOOSE! If done right you'll often get at least one line clear or crit making possibility.

Getting a match 4 in green for 8 purple AP isn't exactly the model of efficiency. If that's all you're getting you're basically redistributing your purple AP into a green-weighted selection of random AP (likely 4g + 4 other) and netted no extra AP.

To be fair, looking at what they've done to the AP generators this is a respectable outcome for anyone recent that isn't named Iron Fist.

This also means 5/3/5 could be a better build than expected because if the 'place 1 tile' part is generally sufficeint to make a match 4/5, and if you're unlikely to get anything significantly better (since whatever color you place your green on generally has nothing in common with the color that'd make a good cascade) you might as well go for a bigger heal. Keep in mind that there will be times where there is no color that will form a good cascade, let alone the spot you want to place your green for a good match. I'd argue that being able to convert more tiles isn't always beneficial when you've to place a tile and then move it, something like:

bluetile.pngredtile.pngpurpletile.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.png
    greentile.pnggreentile.pngtutile.pnggreentile.pnggreentile.png
    redtile.pngpurpletile.pngtutile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.png
    bluetile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.png

Here, you want to place the green tile on the purple tile in the first row, but if the purple on the third/fourth row converted you just broke up your own match 5. It's not going to be a common scenario but I can definitely see it happening sometimes. Yes converting more tiles is generally still beneficial but it's not unconditionally beneficial.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That is such a contrived scenario, it's pretty silly to base a build on the possibility of seeing that sort of a board set-up.

And given that we already know how much extra AP is generated on average at different levels of Technopathic Strike, saying "you're unlikely to get anything significantly better" with extra tile conversations is patently false.
  • GuntherBlobel
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    That is such a contrived scenario, it's pretty silly to base a build on the possibility of seeing that sort of a board set-up.

And given that we already know how much extra AP is generated on average at different levels of Technopathic Strike, saying "you're unlikely to get anything significantly better" with extra tile conversations is patently false.
    With just Lvl 1 purpleflag.png I've pulled off a few match-5s I didn't think I would get, but only once was it a certain outcome. Even at Lvl 5 purpleflag.png , there's a luck component to the ability that is either exhilarating or devastating. I will probably go for 5/3/5 too, since I hate Technopathic Strike at any level below 5 and there's no level of KK's purpleflag.png that converts all tiles of a certain color. The match-5 that I should have had just drives me crazy. Better for me to gain something unexpectedly than to feel like I lost something unexpectedly.

BTW, The expected difference between lvl 3 and lvl 5 purpleflag.png is around greentile.png 2 AP. But it's definitely the kind of ability that benefits from thoughtful use, so different people may be more or less successful with different levels.
    daibar wrote:
    hurcules wrote:
    The one thing I noticed about tile colour-converting abilities is that the more constraints (TU tiles, special tiles etc) there are on the board, the higher chance of cascades. So KK purple may actually be better than most people expect. Time to bug NorthernPolarity to simulate this icon_e_smile.gif

Here's a very basic simulation on Turul's simulator, converting 8 blue to 8 green. This only gives you 3.5 green.
    http://mpqsim.0cdn.net/?commands=GB.Cha ... &runs=1000
    Changing 1 red and 7 blue to 8 green is slightly better:
    http://mpqsim.0cdn.net/?commands=GB.Cha ... &runs=1000

Of course most people will be smarter. Eg, we'd try to select the best possible color and best tile where we'd get at least one green match.
    This might be more accurate:
    Lvl 5 purpleflag.png
    GSBWPurple(1,12); 
    GB.ChangeColorAbility([BLUE],[GREEN],n=7);
    GB.Cascade(MUTED=false,MUTED=false);

4.4 greentile.png AP on average. I wish there was a calculation of SD... seems like the AP generated could be highly variable.
    Lvl 3 purpleflag.png
    GSBWPurple(1,12); 
    GB.ChangeColorAbility([BLUE],[GREEN],n=4);
    GB.Cascade(MUTED=false,MUTED=false);

3 greentile.png AP (obviously), which is why I'm excited about a 5/3/5 build.

Anyhow, that should simulate a slightly smarter human, who makes that one placed tile match optimally, but doesn't spend time predicting the random tile effects.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Now that we've confirmed that the converted colors are all of one color, her purple is amazing. It's like Cyclops' Mutant Revolutionary, but on the color you CHOOSE! If done right you'll often get at least one line clear or crit making possibility.

Getting a match 4 in green for 8 purple AP isn't exactly the model of efficiency. If that's all you're getting you're basically redistributing your purple AP into a green-weighted selection of random AP (likely 4g + 4 other) and netted no extra AP.

To be fair, looking at what they've done to the AP generators this is a respectable outcome for anyone recent that isn't named Iron Fist.

This also means 5/3/5 could be a better build than expected because if the 'place 1 tile' part is generally sufficeint to make a match 4/5, and if you're unlikely to get anything significantly better (since whatever color you place your green on generally has nothing in common with the color that'd make a good cascade) you might as well go for a bigger heal. Keep in mind that there will be times where there is no color that will form a good cascade, let alone the spot you want to place your green for a good match. I'd argue that being able to convert more tiles isn't always beneficial when you've to place a tile and then move it, something like:

bluetile.pngredtile.pngpurpletile.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.png
    greentile.pnggreentile.pngtutile.pnggreentile.pnggreentile.png
    redtile.pngpurpletile.pngtutile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.png
    bluetile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.png

Here, you want to place the green tile on the purple tile in the first row, but if the purple on the third/fourth row converted you just broke up your own match 5. It's not going to be a common scenario but I can definitely see it happening sometimes. Yes converting more tiles is generally still beneficial but it's not unconditionally beneficial.

She's a PvE character pure and plain, you won't see her in PvP, so the questions are.

1.) Does she enter the rotation of players top PvE characters?
    2.) If not yes to 1, then how do I optimize her for Heroics and PvP?

I do beleive she makes the cut for a PvE standard, having free shielding can save you a lot of health packs, so then, what would be the best PvE build for her?

Standalone, you are going to want 5 in green

Support/Green Battery--5/5/3

To me her Green is too good not to max. I mean it's pretty high AoE and starts treading into Thor territory, sure it doesn't have as high of target damage, but it does 1K more overall damage so to me there are only 3 builds once you go 5 green

3/5/5
    5/3/5
    4/4/5

After reading what Phantron is saying, he is correct, being able to place 1 tile while reducing your chances of a cascade you didn't want to happen is huge.

This is essentially Doom's blue, if you have the AI place it on defense, however it's much more powerful with the player in the driver seat and as Phantron showed, you are almost always going to walk away with a match 4/5 with just that single tile.

So in essence it comes down to how much do you value the heal to the green generation?

The rough and tumble of it, is that lvl 3 erases 2 turns of match dmg, lvl 4 erases 3, and lvl 5 erases 4.
  • Demolira wrote:

Yeah, I think there are some conditions where "when a teammate uses a power" passives can trigger every turn. I've seen it in one of the ProfessorX nodes in the Gauntlet. It doesn't happen everytime, but I've seen it happen. Come to think of it, it was in the node where he's teamed with Luke Cage, so it's possible his passive was being triggered by Unbreakable.

its a bug like when Carol gets energy absorbtion from every hit in Deadpool daily
  • GuntherBlobel
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The other thing I didn't realize until I played her was that if you love her purpleflag.png and greenflag.png , well, then yellowflag.png becomes even less important, because she doesn't heal from using her own powers.

I ran Hulk, Capt Marv, and KK for example. Lots of greentile.png AP from KK and Hulk, but if I wanted to heal Hulk after every Anger, I needed to use his inferior greenflag.png power.
  • The purple is a little bit of a wildcard. You can also use it purely for AP denial (besides Green), but that hurts you if you need the same color, unless you're about to be Surgical Striked in that color. In the example Phantron posted, I would have went for the 3rd row yellow and hoped for the match 4 (should usually get at least a match 3). Further, although the purple doesn't guarantee me all the green right away, it makes sure I at least have a decent match in further turns, so I'm not picking up useless AP like blue. It changes board polarity, and makes it easier to cascade. I'd like try using her + CMags as well.

LThor + Khan + boosts is a 3* hop contender, and you might not even need to use health packs like Hulk. Might have a little trouble finishing Goddess or Dino, but it should smoke XFist.

Some interesting things to try:
    1. If you convert Doom's traps to green, do they still do damage if they go off?
    2. If you have traps on a color, can those tiles be converted?

Purple also seems useful for protecting your own tiles, particularly countdowns.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    The purple is a little bit of a wildcard. You can also use it purely for AP denial (besides Green), but that hurts you if you need the same color, unless you're about to be Surgical Striked in that color. In the example Phantron posted, I would have went for the 3rd row yellow and hoped for the match 4 (should usually get at least a match 3). Further, although the purple doesn't guarantee me all the green right away, it makes sure I at least have a decent match in further turns, so I'm not picking up useless AP like blue. It changes board polarity, and makes it easier to cascade. I'd like try using her + CMags as well.

LThor + Khan + boosts is a 3* hop contender, and you might not even need to use health packs like Hulk. Might have a little trouble finishing Goddess or Dino, but it should smoke XFist.

Some interesting things to try:
    1. If you convert Doom's traps to green, do they still do damage if they go off?
    2. If you have traps on a color, can those tiles be converted?

Purple also seems useful for protecting your own tiles, particularly countdowns.

Doom's trap tiles won't convert and neither will trap tiles because they are not considered a basic tile as long as the trap is on them.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Playing her in PvE I can say this, love purple at 5, don't like green at 3, so 3/5/5 for me, I wasn't really impressed with yellow