Upcoming Test: Powered-Up Characters in Versus

Comments

• Against all odds, I enjoyed playing the HT PvP. It's not over yet, and Gthor hasn't been nerfed, so more analysis should be needed.

I found it sad that some keep on playing XF/GThor in an event like this...

Some teams were extremely powerful and deadly. And it was fun. However, a buffed HT is "easy to win" in itself. Let's see what it will be like when Beast is featured and buffed.

Some transitioning guys probably thought they could win more easily than usual against 4*s, so I also got the highest number of defensive wins I ever got.

So far so good.
  • gmp72
    gmp72 Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    For someone who is in the 2 to 3 star transition phase, I must say that I am really enjoying using the powered up characters.
    Time will tell if I can reach higher progression rewards, but I think I will.

I hope that D3 continue this.

A success as far as I'm concerned.
  • gmp72 wrote:
    For someone who is in the 2 to 3 star transition phase, I must say that I am really enjoying using the powered up characters.
    Time will tell if I can reach higher progression rewards, but I think I will.

I hope that D3 continue this.

A success as far as I'm concerned.

Now they should fix the scaling for bigger roster and everyone will be happy icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Just wanted to say I also am enjoying this greatly. And as far as a test, this is really well thought out.

Directly compare buffed patch to unbuffed x-force
    Directly compare buffed LT vs unbuffed GT, AND time it so they have pre nerf and post nerf data to go through.
    Several supports buffed to see how they fare, still kicking myself for losing to a hood/loki/torch team, that was frustrating icon_e_biggrin.gif

Seen so many different teams, and struggled against some unlikely ones and gotten to use a decent swath of my own roster as well. This has been tons of fun.

I will admit it has been difficult holding on to points but I haven't started sheilding yet so confident I can still get progressions if I try.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I haven't started the HT event yet, but I'm kind of looking forward to it. My planned team is Torch/Fury/Hood, all level maxed. It's going to be a breath of fresh air to leave Xforce on the bench, and the synergy and rainbow coverage my team is going to offer is delightful. Flame Jet + Intimidation? Hehe.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Several supports buffed to see how they fare, still kicking myself for losing to a hood/loki/torch team, that was frustrating icon_e_biggrin.gif

Seen so many different teams, and struggled against some unlikely ones and gotten to use a decent swath of my own roster as well. This has been tons of fun.

Max HT hood and Loki is actually a tough team to fight. You have to kill off 2 support characters, while HT can accumulate red and green easily. A few HT fireball can make it nasty for the attacking team.
    tanis3303 wrote:
    I haven't started the HT event yet, but I'm kind of looking forward to it. My planned team is Torch/Fury/Hood, all level maxed. It's going to be a breath of fresh air to leave Xforce on the bench, and the synergy and rainbow coverage my team is going to offer is delightful. Flame Jet + Intimidation? Hehe.

Max HT, Fury and hood are a difficult team I imagine. First you have to kill off hood quickly, and the quickest is still 2 blasts of fireball. While I am dispatching off hood, I have to be careful about HT getting red and Fury getting blue. If fury gets off a demolition, things will get tough.

I used a non max HT, max Lthor and patch to fight a GT and Loki team. Once I finished Loki, it was surprisingly easy to kill off GT. I think it's because of the increased match dmg as ability dmg, which takes out huge chunks off GT easily.
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    Against all odds, I enjoyed playing the HT PvP. It's not over yet, and Gthor hasn't been nerfed, so more analysis should be needed.

To be fair, XF/4Thor take MASSIVE resources to level. It's not like everyone has millions of ISO to actually level up 3* as well. I've fought tooth and nail the last 159 days just to have a few maxed 3* and most of those covers came from $$$.

I have max covered Luke Cage, lThor, cmags, etc but no ISO to lvl them. The most efficient way to play this game since I've been here is to put all resources into 4* asap. Up until this, there was no reason to level LThor when 4Thor was isntakilling everyone.
  • Switchman wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Against all odds, I enjoyed playing the HT PvP. It's not over yet, and Gthor hasn't been nerfed, so more analysis should be needed.

To be fair, XF/4Thor take MASSIVE resources to level. It's not like everyone has millions of ISO to actually level up 3* as well. I've fought tooth and nail the last 159 days just to have a few maxed 3* and most of those covers came from $$$.

I have max covered Luke Cage, lThor, cmags, etc but no ISO to lvl them. The most efficient way to play this game since I've been here is to put all resources into 4* asap. Up until this, there was no reason to level LThor when 4Thor was isntakilling everyone.

I understand where you come from, given what you've just written. I wish no one would have the same story as mine though...

So, once again, the major concern is Iso... Do you play the LRs ?
  • I like these changes. It actually provides incentive for using a different pair with Torch. Sure I could go with the old traditional pairs, but their power output is limited by other buffed characters. I can see why people who like the same old, same old will complain because A. It's work to come up with new pairings, and B. Now it takes more effort to rank when they had a system set up.

I agree that it'll be annoying to see so many IM35's, Ares, etc... but it's just one event. I can handle it. As long as the buffed characters are rotated, this looks to be lots of fun and a new reason for playing this game. If you're a 2 or 3* transitioner, you might be able to rank higher than normal in some pvps. True, this one might not fit your roster, but it could be the next one.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Thought it was a bug at first...

As someone who has lots of characters (roster of 57) but not a top-tier level of 4*s (1/5/2 xforce, b4/3/3 IW, 3/2/0 fury), I appreciate the intention behind this initiative.

Hopefully featured characters aren't overshadowed by others; Having a boosted (but not maxed) HT in this event actually reduces the effectiveness of Patch on defense, but that is actually a decent consideration to make up for how easy offense is with a level 280 Patch.

If this continues, it will be a fun surprise to see which characters are boosted and whether its' the ones I've poured ISO into. Level 280 Daredevil? Oh yeah. Also it means new players who are still in the 2* tier can get some use out of their boosted 1*s. Even the boost to 2 random 4* may even encourage me to level up my (non Xforce) 4* which are currently sitting around 70 and rarely used.

I guess my favorite thing about the concept is that well-developed rosters will be able to compete with narrow focus rosters, in some situations. E.g. powered up Magneto/Storm 2* will be usable against those with non-powered up 166s. I can use powered up DD/BP against 270 4* teams which I'd skip anyway. Or to give an example from this event, I could use Patch/Hood to mop up against XFW who I'd usually skip, but I still might cower from level 330 Nick Fury. Maybe. Or I'd risk it and get Demo'd. icon_e_smile.gif

One thing I've noticed is that the seed teams seem pretty weird (and it feels like I'm fighting a lot more than usual). Starting out the event and there's a lot of easy pickings not using their powered-up characters.
  • tanis3303 wrote:

Tanis. That has been my A Squad and i'm having a lot of fun with it. So far, i've run them up to 600. I haven't started seeing what squads that players with rosters on par with mine are running yet, but it will be interesting / refreshing to play against some different combos other than XF, GT, Featured.

easy...marc
  • To beat Loki + The Hood + HT all you have to do is down HT. There's literally no way the other two can possibly win a game on their own. Yes they're powerful enough that even that can be quite difficult, but if you can't down HT at all that means you were never going to down Loki either (same HP class) and barely down The Hood so you were never going to win that game no matter what.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    djsquillz wrote:
    tanis3303 wrote:

Tanis. That has been my A Squad and i'm having a lot of fun with it. So far, i've run them up to 600. I haven't started seeing what squads that players with rosters on par with mine are running yet, but it will be interesting / refreshing to play against some different combos other than XF, GT, Featured.

easy...marc

Oh yea, its a blast! I started this morning and ran up to 300. Boosted Torch is a wrecking ball, and if it goes a little longer, the AP steal from Hood gives Fury everything he needs. I've never used so many fully powered Avengers Assemble attacks before. Good times. My only gripe is that Ares is pumped, but that's more from being sick and dang tired of facing overleveled versions of him in EVERY PvE in the history of ever than it is from the boosted character system itself.

All in all, as a player with a HUGE roster, I'm on board with this. It's the first time in a long time I left Xforce on the bench and didn't feel like a **** for doing it. Speaking of wrecking balls, I just maxed out my Cyclops...can't wait for him to be on the buff list... icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    To beat Loki + The Hood + HT all you have to do is down HT. There's literally no way the other two can possibly win a game on their own. Yes they're powerful enough that even that can be quite difficult, but if you can't down HT at all that means you were never going to down Loki either (same HP class) and barely down The Hood so you were never going to win that game no matter what.

...and then you eat a 9K Twin Pistols and there goes a health pack anyway. Lol.

It's a beatable team, but it's certainly worth the skip if there are better targets available.
  • Arondite wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    To beat Loki + The Hood + HT all you have to do is down HT. There's literally no way the other two can possibly win a game on their own. Yes they're powerful enough that even that can be quite difficult, but if you can't down HT at all that means you were never going to down Loki either (same HP class) and barely down The Hood so you were never going to win that game no matter what.

...and then you eat a 9K Twin Pistols and there goes a health pack anyway. Lol.

It's a beatable team, but it's certainly worth the skip if there are better targets available.

Even as powerful as Loki and The Hood are, you must be falling asleep if they can pick up 15 yellow while there's no other threat left. It's not a good team to attack because coming up with the damage while whatever the offensive threat is up can be dangerous but no, The Hood + Loki on their own is absolutely a trivial team to defeat because they have no way of doing damage.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Phantron wrote:
    Even as powerful as Loki and The Hood are, you must be falling asleep if they can pick up 15 yellow while there's no other threat left. It's not a good team to attack because coming up with the damage while whatever the offensive threat is up can be dangerous but no, The Hood + Loki on their own is absolutely a trivial team to defeat because they have no way of doing damage.
    I think you're right in terms of being a very beatable team but the delay of hood with the play altering mechanic of Loki's Mischief make finding the AP you need to down them more of a chore. I'd personally rather skip than waste my time on that team, especially towards the end of an event when I might be hopping. The uncertainty of a good board is enough to skip.

I'd gladly let people chew on my team a few extra minutes if it meant it wrecked their shield hop but maybe I go into PVP with different priorities during these times when us 3* folk actually have equalish footing to the 4* teams icon_twisted.gif
  • I'm loving it. I'm probably the only day one player without Thorverine. I finally feel like I can compete again. Bravo.
  • Hood + Loki still have a 9k dmg Hood Yellow Attack.

Anyone who has battled Hood + Loki knows how ridiculous it is to generate AP LOL
  • ynglink
    ynglink Posts: 195
    So I really like seeing different teams and not feeling like everything is going to be the same fight over and over again. I've been seeing plenty of Juggs, Iron Man, Ares, Daaken, and plenty of 3* teams mixed in with the old faithfuls of Thor + Daaken, Ares + Daaken, Stormneto, etc. Very nice to see several different teams up to 400 points!
  • I think this is a great idea but I'm not sure how it will play out. Looking forward to giving it a go.