Upcoming Test: Powered-Up Characters in Versus

Comments

• lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    see what i don't get is that if you say there's a difference between 1star, 2star, 3star and 4star characters, both in how difficult it is to get them in the first place and how much it costs to level them up, then doesn't powering them up make that distinction kind of...pointless?

that said, we have yet to see how this will play out, so i look forward to the next pvp.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2015
    see what i don't get is that if you say there's a difference between 1star, 2star, 3star and 4star characters, both in how difficult it is to get them in the first place and how much it costs to level them up, then doesn't powering them up make that distinction kind of...pointless?

that said, we have yet to see how this will play out, so i look forward to the next pvp.

Well the idea is that a 3* roster always has chars at a 3* level, even when unbuffed. 2* guys only get to 3* levels on a rotation system, so all things considered you still have a huge advantage being the 3* guy since your roster is always at that level.

Heres an easy example. 3* guy has lazythor loki thats just always good. Every once in a while, 2* guy has obw ares every once a while that lets them compete, but the other times when moonstone gets buffed its obvious who has the advantage.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Haha - you can almost bet that Moonstone will be one of the first buffed 2* and Mohawk Storm will be one of the first buffed 3* characters they select. Followed shortly by 2* Wolverine (who the dev's must like b/c they like to use the new MNM Purple to feed Wolvie Red) and 3* Doc Ock & Beast (cuz...well the Dev's have a twisted sense of humor).
  • sinnerjfl wrote:
    I'm gonna be in the minority here but this sounds like a terrible idea.

Combined Arms is an awful PVP experience for anyone with a developped roster and this seems to be
    aiming at the same thing. So basically you want to negate the advantage of people having actually developped
    their roster now?

Also, as it was already mentionned, * & **'s characters scale horribly and get so overpowered past their normal maximum level (Juggs, Ares, Daken etc). There's nothing fun playing against grossly overpowered characters. (as in, every PVE event)

The only thing I will agree with is the featured *** getting a bigger buff.

If you want to diversify PVP, go back to running different types of events. You guys haven't done this anymore because quote "it didnt sell more cover packs". Or, run two concurrent PVP events, regular and this screwball PVP you are suggesting. We already have a concurrent PVP with Shield Simulator but the rewards are worthless and it lasts a whole season so it hardly counts.

Combined Arms or Balance of Power doesn't work because every single character in a certain class is subject to the same buff. Obviously there is always a best 1* or a best 2* and then you'd always use that guy. As long as the subset of characters that are buffed doesn't change this will always be the case. For example if you go with the X-Men buff I think it'd always look like Thor (4*), Deadpool, and Psylocke even after the nerf. But that's why this set of buffed characters changes every week. Sure, whenever a powerhouse like Thor 3* is buffed he'd absolutely dominate, but what if the buffed characters are Psylocke, Deadpool, She-Hulk, Sentry, and Falcon? Okay right now nobody is going to touch X Force even with this buff, but that still leaves the 'other' slot as highly questionable. Although a pick like Loki or The Hood seems pretty safe, you run a pretty good chance of having one of those guys straight up annihilated by someone like Deadpool (well, down to 33% HP anyway). I don't agree with the assessment that taking say a 2K Power of Attorney each game won't make you change your team. Unless you're buying a lot of health packs, a character like The Hood or Loki cannot possibly withstand a level 280 Power of Attorney every game or even every other game. No you're probably not going to lose but it's going to change your mind after you got crippled by such an attack enough times.
  • Really cool idea, i have a few "teams" of pairings I use during PVP events depending on my mood, but look forward to a chance to try and shake things up with the powered up charachters.
  • Releasing more 4* and boosting 3*? Once again killing the motivation to complete your legendary chracters, sounds like a last attempt to balance a broken game
    Stop taking the quick dumb path and improve your chracters so we have more options to level them and use them
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv wrote:
    Unless this is implemented like Heroic PvP this will simply not work. Pretty sure that no matter how much you buff Punisher short of him one shotting the entire enemy team, you will never use his abilities over Xforce's. All this will do is increase the amount of damage you take per fight and increase the length due to them having extra hp.

Some abilities are just flat out better than other ones. Unless you're buffing it to the point where if you don't have one you simply cannot compete, there is no point. A 290 She-Hulk is just going to punish your team if she gets enough red but not be strong enough that you feel that must field your own. A 2,000 damage AoE will mess up your Hood/Loki but if you field your own 16k+ HP team the damage is negligible. It just serves to frustrate and elongate the game, things that are not needed in the current PvP meta. The issue of losing massive amounts of points through defensive losses needs to be addressed first before you can mess around with buffing random characters.

Heroic PvP would be interesting but the only one to implement it fairly would be to give everyone "loaner" characters for the week (only usable in PvP). Put a max leveled character temporarily on your roster for the week and you'd be free to respec the talents anyway you want. Keep them on the roster so you have to worry about health kits + res timers (not like current loaners where they are always at full life). People who already have that character can use either ones giving people who invested a bonus life.

Short sighted thinking! Punisher red was a key component on taking out max xforce thoress teams. One xforce and surgical strike will put thoress at risk if one shot kill. after 1k it's all max level teams, and being efficient with your nukes is the difference between 1 health pack every two matches. At that level, shield hops and health packs matter!
  • Phumade
    dkffiv wrote:

If everyones games is taking longer as well then presumably taking defensive hits will be mitigated as well.

Attacks will be focused on higher point players and it will be much harder to climb. Currently the best strategy is to surge quickly and get your score up before others notice you, then shield. Longer delays will let people see your actual point total more accurately. Speed is king because the current system is broken.

Yes and no. Too far ahead of the curve ands it's a steady diet of 10 pt matches. If you don't have the backingof a high level alliance, you might as well wait until they establish the curve and hope you can hope on their points.

People don't appreciate that after 800, all high point matches come from high level alliances. If there are no alliances scores would plument
  • Phumade
    dkffiv wrote:

If everyones games is taking longer as well then presumably taking defensive hits will be mitigated as well.

Attacks will be focused on higher point players and it will be much harder to climb. Currently the best strategy is to surge quickly and get your score up before others notice you, then shield. Longer delays will let people see your actual point total more accurately. Speed is king because the current system is broken.

Yes and no. Too far ahead of the curve ands it's a steady diet of 10 pt matches. If you don't have the backingof a high level alliance, you might as well wait until they establish the curve and hope you can hope on their points.

People don't appreciate that after 800, all high point matches come from high level alliances. If there are no alliances scores would plument
  • I wonder if this test is geared more towards seeing if another level cap increase would make things more "balanced" in versus as opposed to just a new way of doing the event...maybe a bit of both.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    Unless this is implemented like Heroic PvP this will simply not work. Pretty sure that no matter how much you buff Punisher short of him one shotting the entire enemy team, you will never use his abilities over Xforce's. All this will do is increase the amount of damage you take per fight and increase the length due to them having extra hp.

Some abilities are just flat out better than other ones. Unless you're buffing it to the point where if you don't have one you simply cannot compete, there is no point. A 290 She-Hulk is just going to punish your team if she gets enough red but not be strong enough that you feel that must field your own. A 2,000 damage AoE will mess up your Hood/Loki but if you field your own 16k+ HP team the damage is negligible. It just serves to frustrate and elongate the game, things that are not needed in the current PvP meta. The issue of losing massive amounts of points through defensive losses needs to be addressed first before you can mess around with buffing random characters.

Heroic PvP would be interesting but the only one to implement it fairly would be to give everyone "loaner" characters for the week (only usable in PvP). Put a max leveled character temporarily on your roster for the week and you'd be free to respec the talents anyway you want. Keep them on the roster so you have to worry about health kits + res timers (not like current loaners where they are always at full life). People who already have that character can use either ones giving people who invested a bonus life.

Short sighted thinking! Punisher red was a key component on taking out max xforce thoress teams. One xforce and surgical strike will put thoress at risk if one shot kill. after 1k it's all max level teams, and being efficient with your nukes is the difference between 1 health pack every two matches. At that level, shield hops and health packs matter!

Surgical generated black so your best bet was Surgical + (xforce / smite / retribution) on Punisher to down him, then use Surgical again immediately to down xforce. Get blue, dance around, 1 shot 4hor. Punisher's abilities were barely contributing factors and only really saved me a few turns worth of match damage on my push to 1150.

If the target was under 1k life I would use Judgment but Xforce basically served the same purpose. Unless the board was completely empty of the strongest color there was almost no reason to use Molotov. Retribution was used occasionally but it wasn't that different than Smite.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder if this test is geared more towards seeing if another level cap increase would make things more "balanced" in versus as opposed to just a new way of doing the event...maybe a bit of both.

The level cap is whats causing all these problems. Higher levels without noticeable increases in damage drag out games and everyone flocks to fast/high powered characters. It also widens the gap between 2* / 3* / 4*'s which they are just now realizing is a bad idea.
  • konannfriends
    konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    166 Cstorm oh hell yeah!
    buffed moonstone hmmm. ill see what happens
  • I am always in favor of anything that promotes roster diversity, so I'm excited to see how this will turn out.
  • If you want diversity, consider an ELO ban system if you're unwilling to buff characters and nerf xforce

---

This seems confusing to me only because it'll be harder to tell if I can kill a team or not...
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,395 Chairperson of the Boards
    i do not see how this is going to make roster diversity

right now i use a team of 4 people. IF we have say 5x boosted people everyone is going to be using those same 5 people so how do you see roster diversity. I mean take 2 star. Non boosted 85 boosted 180. Who is going to use the non boosted people, everyone is going to be using those same 5 people

so we are taking the BOOSTED idea from PVE and putting it into PVP, I still say within 6 months or less we will no longer see the PVE as it stands today (it be deadpool)
  • slidecage wrote:
    i do not see how this is going to make roster diversity

right now i use a team of 4 people. IF we have say 5x boosted people everyone is going to be using those same 5 people so how do you see roster diversity. I mean take 2 star. Non boosted 85 boosted 180. Who is going to use the non boosted people, everyone is going to be using those same 5 people

so we are taking the BOOSTED idea from PVE and putting it into PVP, I still say within 6 months or less we will no longer see the PVE as it stands today (it be deadpool)

I think the idea is that over the course of many events you would see different rosters due to different covers being boosted. Some people have been hammering them for more diversity...this is obviously a more practical solution then trying to make every cover balanced with each other which will never happen. If you have a better idea I'm sure they are all ears.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the idea is that over the course of many events you would see different rosters due to different covers being boosted. Some people have been hammering them for more diversity...this is obviously a more practical solution then trying to make every cover balanced with each other which will never happen. If you have a better idea I'm sure they are all ears.
    I'd prefer an idea that isn't going to cost me health packs, drag out climbs, and lower scores. Instead of boosting a set of characters, they should assign point bonuses to a set of characters. A lot of people will take advantage of this, and you'll see much more diversity, but no one will be forced into altering their play style if they choose not to. And this'll satisy a complaint we constantly see from transitioners, "We should get more points for winning battles with 3*s"
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    This is...interesting. I'm not a huge fan of this happening mid season, but I have a very deep roster, so I can deal. I just have one request devs: please, for the love of all that is holy do NOT put highly desired covers up as top placement rewards. No Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Cyclops etc...this is going to be a balance of power type bloodfest for a whole week, the last thing we need is extremely valuable covers being up for grabs, not to mention how little everyone would enjoy fighting lvl 290 cage/IF. Use the mid teir, niche characters. Torch is a good start, maybe have his pvp give out Psylocke covers and run fresh cut next, then have something like colossus up next.
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Another idea to increase roster diversity, will be to set a certain rule to make up a team for each Versus event, like to make a team of 3, beside the feature character, the other 2 have to be not more than how many health, must or muist not have certain colour as abilities, can not use passive/healing etc ability, make up of 1 male 1 female or 1 hero, 1 villian, etc. I think this will be more interesting but I think may mean more work for the developer and programmers etc. Or can also make a new Versus event that is base on these rules but for a team of 3.