Upcoming Test: Powered-Up Characters in Versus

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    Will we see an update on this? What the data looked like? Were the devs happy with what they saw? Will this become a permanent feature?

Still reviewing the data, but I can say that
    - we're looking at toning down the magnitude of the weekly buffs for next time.
    - it seemed to accomplish the goal of encouraging more variety in team composition really well.
    - the 1.75x buff for a featured 3-star works much better than the 1.5x buff, in terms of striking a better balance between how powerful it is to have a good featured character and how powerful it is to have a good roster outside of the featured character. We'd been considering that change before we put together the weekly buff group test, and we'll be keeping that in events going forward.
    - given all of the individual experiences of being able to score much higher or much less high than before, the score breakdown of these events is surprisingly typical.
    How can you possibly say that the weekly buffs increased variety when you also nerfed 4Thor and eliminated Winfinite the same week?

The 3/23 character changes are the biggest reason why we're still reviewing the data. We can see how those changes affected Story events and compare that to the effect in Versus, and we have tons of qualitative feedback from players saying that the buffs changed who they used, but we can't measure with certainty how much of the change in strategy is due to the buffs until we run an event or two without them.
    We are now on the 4th event with out them, what is the status of multi character pvp boosts? Will they be returning? Scrapped? Pretend they never happened?
  • Various38
    Various38 Posts: 101
    Options
    I just want to know if there is another way to level characters other than collecting covers. Maybe a more RPG-like alternative can be achieved.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    We are now on the 4th event with out them, what is the status of multi character pvp boosts? Will they be returning? Scrapped? Pretend they never happened?

It'd be nice to know whether the test was considered a success or failure. Will we be seeing this again, or did they give up on the idea?
  • Stony
    Stony Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Can we go ahead and bring this back?
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    Options
    Yeah...with the"death of wolverine" (nice timing on that by the way) this might actually be a good idea again...
  • As someone still building a 3* roster, the last thing I'd want to see is buffed Ares or Daken, they hurt more than enough right now, never mind getting boosted to the point where Chemical Reaction and Onslaught can 1 shot OBW/Storm. As nice as it would be to be able to take out 3* rosters with 2*s, the real problem with PVP is that in it's current model, you need healing (Daken, because Wolverine has been worthless for healing since being "fun balanced"), a consistent output of damage, and/or AP control. A lot of characters excel in PVE events but are pretty easily shut down in PVP due to high AP costs or reliance on countdown tiles that can be matched or changed immediately.

A better solution for roster diversity is to revisit old characters and give them some attention. For example, 2* Wolverine used to be the strongest PVP character in his tier before the "fun-balance" that effectively removed him from play, with Daken getting 3 covers, he's a far bigger nuisance than Wolverine, to the point where he's on pretty well 80% of the teams I encounter until hitting 3*s, and even then he's often paired up with patch for other transitioning teams. The "fun-balance" was designed to shake up the team comps, buffing random characters mean all you're doing is saying "This week, every team will contain one of these x characters" without fixing the underlying problem.

The change to MNMags is a decent example of making a character self sufficient, I really don't care about anyone **** about his "nerf", his new kit feeds itself which is far more important, he's not as useful for other characters but really, everyone should be able to stand on their own merit, if they benefit other characters, so be it.

I posted a similar list to this a year ago and it was mostly ignored then, but that wasn't in an official post.
    I have never been afraid of a Hawkeye, his speed shot is his only scary ability but he's effectively countered by OBW, he needs one of his abilities to be instant to be a credible threat.

Moonstone needs a direction, she was an ill conceived assortment of abilities that make her incredibly situational, and in PVP you can't have situational characters, you need reliable performance from everyone.

Cap will never see action in PVP until his costs/damage are adjusted, it's as simple as that, his 2* version is just too weak to compete. 3* can, but even he is usually treated as a free win because his best source of protection will only happen in 1% of games, reduce his yellow cost to 9 and cut the protect strength in half. It's been a problem since he was created and has never been touched.

Bullseye needs a third ability and his black cost cut in half, remove the situational crit, I'm sure it never happens anyway.

I could go on but I'll just refer you to my post a year ago on the subject, or the hundreds of posts on the forums about how terrible some characters are

in 3* land it seems to be decently diverse that I can see, but you'll never dethrone Patch/Daken/Hood for the endless harassment and AP control, other characters can put out tons of damage, but at least one of those 3 are all but required to push through the grind to get placement.

I can only speak for myself on roster diversity but I had lots of 2* characters, but then I started getting 3*s, not just one or two, but pretty well all of them at the same time, to the point where I had to sell off everyone but Thor/Wolverine/OBW/Storm just to make room, I have 41 roster slots, 9 of which aren't 3*s with 1-10 covers. It's far too expensive to have and maintain an extensive roster without sinking a whole bunch of money into the game, which I know is what you're hoping for but until either EVERYONE is reworked to be a solid pick for most situations or roster slots stop scaling up to being $6+ EACH you can't have your cake and eat it too, when it costs 29,950 HP, or roughly $170(!) to get a (currently) full roster of characters, the entry fee is too high for most people to bother so they'll sit on what they can afford, which will limit the available pool. D3's own business model and laziness where balance is concerned is what's causing a lack of diversity.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I said it before, and I'll say it again: If they want this type of system to succeed, they need to boost characters that were not getting used in the 1st place. THERE WAS NO REASON THAT 3* THOR SHOULD HAVE BEEN BUFFED FOR EVERY EVENT!

I use him consistently in PvP, even without the buff, but the fact that he was buffed made any player who had him use him. That does not promote roster diversity. I'm sure D3 has the ability (if not the knowledge already) of who the least used characters are. Give them buffs! Heck, make it a proportional buff; the less used a character was in the last PvP, the better the buff they get in the next one! Keep it dynamic, changing every PvP, or at least every other week or so.

And on a side note:
    SlamDunc wrote:
    Bullseye needs a third ability and his black cost cut in half, remove the situational crit, I'm sure it never happens anyway.
    I've actually used that situational crit to down someone on Deadpool's dailys a few times! Full disclosure, it was on the 1* node with C.Hawk on my team & as a team up, but MAN was it ever sweet! icon_lol.gif

He does still need an active Green ability. Perhaps something that helps to get more crit tiles out? Some low amount of Green AP to create some black tiles? Perhaps a pair of selected black tiles & a low amount of damage. It would give him a little utility and feed into his Black ability as is, mitigating the overall high cost.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Where do we stand on this subject? Season 13 has come and gone, will this be returning?
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    I said it before, and I'll say it again: If they want this type of system to succeed, they need to boost characters that were not getting used in the 1st place. THERE WAS NO REASON THAT 3* THOR SHOULD HAVE BEEN BUFFED FOR EVERY EVENT!

I use him consistently in PvP, even without the buff, but the fact that he was buffed made any player who had him use him. That does not promote roster diversity. I'm sure D3 has the ability (if not the knowledge already) of who the least used characters are. Give them buffs! Heck, make it a proportional buff; the less used a character was in the last PvP, the better the buff they get in the next one! Keep it dynamic, changing every PvP, or at least every other week or so.

And on a side note:
    SlamDunc wrote:
    I've actually used that situational crit to down someone on Deadpool's dailys a few times! Full disclosure, it was on the 1* node with C.Hawk on my team & as a team up, but MAN was it ever sweet! icon_lol.gif

He does still need an active Green ability. Perhaps something that helps to get more crit tiles out? Some low amount of Green AP to create some black tiles? Perhaps a pair of selected black tiles & a low amount of damage. It would give him a little utility and feed into his Black ability as is, mitigating the overall high cost.
    \

Behold - the mega-whoosh.

You missed the point entirely. The buffs will rotate - unused and highly used characters alike will get the weekly buff (if this system were even to return). The reason that for this go around, characters like Thor were selected rather than unused characters was to test to see if the buff would be game breaking or not. The experiment wasn't to promote roster diversity (that would be the duty of the rotating buffs) - the purpose of the experiment was to see if the legitimate rotation was even a possibility.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I thought the point of the test was to show that the 4*s were really rather weak compared to the top tier 3*s, when boosted to equivalent levels. So therefore, they should be nerfed some more