Upcoming Test: Powered-Up Characters in Versus

Comments

• wingX wrote:
    Another idea to increase roster diversity, will be to set a certain rule to make up a team for each Versus event, like to make a team of 3, beside the feature character, the other 2 have to be not more than how many health, must or muist not have certain colour as abilities, can not use passive/healing etc ability, make up of 1 male 1 female or 1 hero, 1 villian, etc. I think this will be more interesting but I think may mean more work for the developer and programmers etc. Or can also make a new Versus event that is base on these rules but for a team of 3.

Wing, this would require actual thought and planning...not exactly these joker's strong points. I think it would be awesome, but i don't trust this team to have the desire to even try or the ability to pull it off the right way.

easy...marc
  • This sounds like it was tailor-made for me, since I've got all 1* & 2* characters maxed, and most of the 3*s. I'm hoping it makes pvp interesting again; it's been punishing boring for ages. I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Haha - you can almost bet that Moonstone will be one of the first buffed 2* and Mohawk Storm will be one of the first buffed 3* characters they select. Followed shortly by 2* Wolverine (who the dev's must like b/c they like to use the new MNM Purple to feed Wolvie Red) and 3* Doc Ock & Beast (cuz...well the Dev's have a twisted sense of humor).

moonstone hasn't been featured for quite a while, so I also agree she'll be one of the first buffies. ^^ Mohawk was featured in the current rag pve event, so I doubt she'll be among the first buffies. Ock/Beast are certainly 3* candidates though.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    I look forward to giving this a shot and I don't see any problem with the timing.
    With MMR in place you should have the same caliber of match ups in place. At lower level play there should still be plenty of teams to find with unboosted characters, also chance of people running with an undercovered character because its boosted to a higher level than their fully covered.
    While the opponent will have more health, you'll have more power so I don't know if match time is going to get that much if any longer. I guess we'll see next week.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    I wonder why they skipped from cyclops being the cover reward to a prof x tourney instead. I was looking forward to cyclops.

I hope the powered up chars aren't a carbon copy of who are featured in the Lightning rounds....though it would be easy to determine who gets ISO over the weekend.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    papa07 wrote:
    10 pack is at 4000, there are 10 events (plus simulator). That is an average of 400 per event, which is quite easily done with a 2 star roster.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP SAYING THIS! Especially when you ARE NOT an exclusively 2* player. Especially when you don't know what you're talking about.

Sincerely,

Every Single EXCLUSIVELY 2* Player In March Of 2015
  • TLCstormz wrote:
    papa07 wrote:
    10 pack is at 4000, there are 10 events (plus simulator). That is an average of 400 per event, which is quite easily done with a 2 star roster.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP SAYING THIS! Especially when you ARE NOT an exclusively 2* player. Especially when you don't know what you're talking about.

Sincerely,

I don't think the game has changed so much that <400 points is all that difficult for 2 star rosters.

The fact that I see plenty of 2* opponents in the 500-600 range at the end of pvps pretty much proves that point.
  • metabelian wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:
    papa07 wrote:

Sincerely,

I don't think the game has changed so much that <400 points is all that difficult for 2 star rosters.

The fact that I see plenty of 2* opponents in the 500-600 range at the end of pvps pretty much proves that point.

I know right. I see plenty of them around the same level. Maybe those exclusively 2* rosters should share their secrets of how they are able to do this with the rest of the 2* exclusive group, apparently they are the only ones that would know what they are talking about.
  • Pinko_McFly
    TLCstormz wrote:
    papa07 wrote:

Sincerely,

Having just left the 2* exclusive player club ( thank you ddq) I had no problem hitting 400 In every pvp after I got 2 94s on kmy squad.
    Sincerely,
    An exclusive 2* player from sept 2014-february 2015
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    papa07 wrote:

Sincerely,

I hit over 600 about a month ago using nothing but 2*'s and the default loaner, just because I wanted to see how hard it was as a 2* player. And I have pretty high MMR.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    While it is possible to get to 5-600 with 2s, you then have to shield or you're getting knocked back down to about 350, guaranteed.

It feels really stupid to spend hp on a shield to hold a position that won't even get into the top 100 so I don't do it. I don't even climb past 400 anymore, it's pointless, I just go play something else.
  • Pinko_McFly
    udonomefoo wrote:
    While it is possible to get to 5-600 with 2s, you then have to shield or you're getting knocked back down to about 350, guaranteed.

It feels really stupid to spend hp on a shield to hold a position that won't even get into the top 100 so I don't do it. I don't even climb past 400 anymore, it's pointless, I just go play something else.

That is true and yes it is silly to shield for what will end up as a top 200 spot.
    But even with that, 500 in the simulator over 20 days is very reasonable.

The 10 pack is not an easy reward for a 2* player but it is attainable if you commit to it.
  • This may seem offtopic, but bear with me: My #1 feature request for this game is the option to de-level and de-cover characters. This change makes it even more desirable. I have tried to strike a balance with certain support characters, maxing their level for additional health, but keeping it low enough that their hardiest teammates still tank as many of their colors as possible. For B-team folks like Pun, HT, Psylock etc who are not terrible, but not robust, I like to post them at 110, so the 150% level boost when they are featured in PvP puts them at 165, which means any 166 with the same colors will cover them. Likewise, non-boosted folks like Hood or Falcon go to 129, so their secondary colors can be covered by a 166's 3rd.

Since I'm sure this new scaling in PvP will throw all that to heck, please give me the option to de-level someone! I would take 50% or even 10% ISO return on "sold" levels, and 0% return on "sold" covers (IM40 is the only one I would currently use this on, but if this feature existed, I would be more likely to try out Rag's blue, for example... if I knew I could ditch it if I hated it, and not have to sell my 5/5/0 Rags to remove the blue which would only be detrimental on defense...)

Tl;dr: New scaling makes carefully-crafted teamups between high-level tanks and mid- or low-level support characters fly out the window. Please give me the option to de-level characters, so I can continue to hide them behind my LThor and Hulk etc!
  • Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    TLCstormz wrote:
    papa07 wrote:

Sincerely,

My father is on the 2* land, he is starting to get his firsts 3* near the lvl 90s, and he is being getting to 4k points the last 3 seasons without much problems. He usually scores 300-350 points, in some events near 400s and with the help of simulator he gets to those 4k.

So, yes, its quite easy to achieve 4k points in a season if you play every PvP event actively and have a good roster of 2*
  • Loftus
    Loftus Posts: 79 Match Maker
    I'm not sure if this should be in suggestions or not but i figured i'd post here as it relates.

While reading through this thread something dawned on me.

The problems:

The same teams are always used
    Boosting other characters will make them always used instead
    more damage and HP will be spent if certain characters are powered up.

Potential solution:

Don't link the event to powering up the characters, link it to rewarding you for using the characters instead.

Say for a given event, Beast, Hulk and Punisher are all chosen (this is completely hypothetical, so bare with me). Rather than making them outright stronger, make the base points earned for a pvp win slightly lower and make each selected character boost your points reward. You will get given a 'borrowable' version like you do now, it's just they won't get powered up and you don't have to use them. That way it becomes a challenge and an option rather than a restriction. If somebody wants to use the same team as always, let them. They'll just have to win x amount more matches to get the same score as somebody that is making use of the selected characters for the event.

It could potentially give the freedom and diversity that i think everybody wants, without getting carried away with stat increases and crazy overpowered matches.
  • Loftus wrote:
    I'm not sure if this should be in suggestions or not but i figured i'd post here as it relates.

While reading through this thread something dawned on me.

The problems:

The same teams are always used
    Boosting other characters will make them always used instead
    more damage and HP will be spent if certain characters are powered up.

Potential solution:

Don't link the event to powering up the characters, link it to rewarding you for using the characters instead.

Say for a given event, Beast, Hulk and Punisher are all chosen (this is completely hypothetical, so bare with me). Rather than making them outright stronger, make the base points earned for a pvp win slightly lower and make each selected character boost your points reward. You will get given a 'borrowable' version like you do now, it's just they won't get powered up and you don't have to use them. That way it becomes a challenge and an option rather than a restriction. If somebody wants to use the same team as always, let them. They'll just have to win x amount more matches to get the same score as somebody that is making use of the selected characters for the event.

It could potentially give the freedom and diversity that i think everybody wants, without getting carried away with stat increases and crazy overpowered matches.

This sir is an absolute fantastic idea.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I completely agree, but i'm biased since i suggested pretty much the same thing on the previous page icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • simonsez wrote:
    I completely agree, but i'm biased since i suggested pretty much the same thing on the previous page icon_e_biggrin.gif

Ha you're right! What a copycat! Haha just kidding...good thinking fellas.
  • what if the boosting was for 3 days and was random for each person, and would showed boosted when you queue them?(otherwise it would be be why are they using them?)
  • Loftus
    Loftus Posts: 79 Match Maker
    simonsez wrote:

haha whoops!

I got to about page 4, the idea popped into my head and i wanted to post it before i forgot... great minds think alike and all that i guess icon_e_wink.gif