Upcoming Test: Powered-Up Characters in Versus

Options

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Thor nerf is what really gives this any leverage. Xor would still be dominant over most 290-280-280 concoctions, but this will at least bring Featured-XForce-Boosted variety.

If enough of these test teams run XForce anyway, I'd bet it guarantees his balancing.
  • I like the general idea. Whether this execution of it is going to work out remains to be seen, but sure, what the hell. Give it a shot. I'm just not sure that testing it on season events starting mid-season is the best or fairest way to go about things when you're really not sure what the full ramifications are going to be.
  • I've done my fair share of bashing D3 for their behavior lately but I feel this is potentially a good step in the right direction.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For a long time, the prevailing strategy in Versus events has been “Bring the same two characters I always bring and whoever I’m forced to team up with.” We’re hoping to breathe a little more excitement and variety into Versus.

For that exact reason -- I love this idea.

I'm on day 430-something and PVP's been starting to get stale for me. I really only have fun anymore in themed group powerup PVP like Children Of The Atom. Really looking forward to trying this out.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This currently reads like a poor implementation of a good idea, so I'll be interested to see how it plays.

One thing's for certain: enjoy XForce this week, because this test is going to kill him.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    The point is to question if they are actually trying for equivalent power level (and then failing) or they just want similar level numbers. If it's just the numbers thing, then fine, whatever. I just wanted to point out that a level 170 2* is probably better than a level 166 3*.

I'd think they're shooting for the 2* to be something like a 3.5* or so after boost because if the goal is to make them about the same as a level 166 3* then you could just use a level 166 3* too and that wouldn't add much variety.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The Thor nerf is what really gives this any leverage. Xor would still be dominant over most 290-280-280 concoctions, but this will at least bring Featured-XForce-Boosted variety.

If enough of these test teams run XForce anyway, I'd bet it guarantees his balancing.

On the flip side, maybe they'll boost IW and no one will run her anyways. Sending yet another message.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I love the concept. I'm seeing so many rosters out there where a player has maxed one or two characters and then has a bunch of level 94's, which really seems to defeat the whole collection aspect of the game. It will be nice to see a change which will make more characters usable in PvP and give me a reason to give lesser characters a chance to come off the bench.

Beast: "Put me in coach!"
    Me: "Uh, I didn't mean you"
    Beast: "You just don't like me because I'm blue!"
    Me: "Mystique is blue too, and she gets to play"
    Beast:"Darn!"
  • Amazeballs
    Options
    Why are you running this during the season? I'm open to different ways of spicing up pvp, but I am begging you to hold off a week before running these experiments.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mouser wrote:

On the flip side, maybe they'll boost IW and no one will run her anyways. Sending yet another message.

Based on Will's comments in the other thread, they're well aware of IW's issues.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2015
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    I was about to hit my first 4000 pt season but if this is what i think is going to happen (stupid auto correct)
    i will not get that many points in the last week of season just killing off my 4000 pt season.

It's too soon to declare your 4000-point season a loss. It's possible this is aimed at helping someone in exactly your situation. We need to know who the powered-up characters are before we can speculate on how much this will shake things up. Inevitably, some people will get lucky, and have the characters they secretly feel are underrated, and wish they could use more often , given a huge power boost for three full PvPs.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like this idea. I'm glad it'll bring variety to PVP and reward having a deeper roster.

And I think it's no problem doing this during a season. Everyone's playing by the same rules. Some just don't like having to adjust to new things.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You could could post this in the Demiurge_Miles announcement thread above. This way you can participate in that conversation.

must of made it when i was making this... cause it wasnt up
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wonder what would happen if instead of boosting featured character levels they instead reduced ability costs by something like 25% for the featured characters.

How would that play out?
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 439 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't think anyone saw this coming, but it sounds interesting so why not. icon_e_smile.gif

Worst case scenario; it's only one week.
  • Anything that promotes more team diversity, especially at the upper echelons of play, is a good thing.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    I like this idea. I'm glad it'll bring variety to PVP and reward having a deeper roster.

And I think it's no problem doing this during a season. Everyone's playing by the same rules. Some just don't like having to adjust to new things.

it should never taken place during a season. The last testing was done between seasons but no they want to screw people over.

About it being even , no it screws over people who dont have a deep roaster. I was on the verge of gettiing 4000 pts this season and if this plays how i think its going to play I use a main 2 to 3 man team to get my points and due to small roaster I will miss the 4000 pts due to the change. This will mean harder 3 stars so if you hitting the 3 star wall your going to be slamming into that 3 star wall a lot faster now since 3 stars are going to be pushed up to 4 star levels.

Thank you D3 for killing the fun for me in PVP and the change that you are working on and will be putting into place in PVE

I do want to thank D3 for making this change you have now offically made me close my wallet to this game forever.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rixmith wrote:
    I love the concept. I'm seeing so many rosters out there where a player has maxed one or two characters and then has a bunch of level 94's, which really seems to defeat the whole collection aspect of the game. It will be nice to see a change which will make more characters usable in PvP and give me a reason to give lesser characters a chance to come off the bench.

Beast: "Put me in coach!"
    Me: "Uh, I didn't mean you"
    Beast: "You just don't like me because I'm blue!"
    Me: "Mystique is blue too, and she gets to play"
    Beast:"Darn!"

They should do a week with buffed IW, Beast, Bag-Man and Yelena. Then they'll show the world!
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    scottee wrote:

it should never taken place during a season. The last testing was done between seasons but no they want to screw people over.

About it being even , no it screws over people who dont have a deep roaster. I was on the verge of gettiing 4000 pts this season and if this plays how i think its going to play I use a main 2 to 3 man team to get my points and due to small roaster I will miss the 4000 pts due to the change. This will mean harder 3 stars so if you hitting the 3 star wall your going to be slamming into that 3 star wall a lot faster now since 3 stars are going to be pushed up to 4 star levels.

Thank you D3 for killing the fun for me in PVP and the change that you are working on and will be putting into place in PVE

I do want to thank D3 for making this change you have now offically made me close my wallet to this game forever.

Sorry that one announcement that most people like is causing you to quit the game. That does seem like a pretty extreme reaction seeing as we don't even know yet if this will affect people's ability to reach certain scores. You'll still be able to use your main characters. And it might even be your main characters that get buffed.

Also, this will finally encourage people to widen their rosters. Maxed 2*'s + X-Force will no longer look attractive.
  • slidecage wrote:
    scottee wrote:

If you have opened your wallet to D3 in the past, you should have at a bare minimum a level 94 roster.

10 pack is at 4000, there are 10 events (plus simulator). That is an average of 400 per event, which is quite easily done with a 2 star roster. With that same 2 star roster, 600 to 800 points in simulator is also easily done, which would lower the average to the 320 to 340 range per event. These changes should have little to no impact on your PvP scores at those levels.

If you don't get to 4000, that would be on you - not on this change.