Coming Soon: Character Updates!

Options

Comments

• raziel777 wrote:

If Thorette was really changed due to upcoming character(s), it is very very bad game-design from D3.

Out of Curiosity, would it be better to put out the Thorette nerf at the time of a released character with the explanation that she is being nerfed due to the new character being released abilities causing a to big of a power shift? Or something along those lines?

New chars should be designed to work with existing chars, not the other way around.
    If any more upcoming chars would destroy balance by adding more charging titles, then change their mechanisms, not existing ones (for example by creating new types of special tiles not working with Smite).
    It is so obviously basic knowledge for any game developer than I don't want to believe that was the case for 4*Thor change.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    as I was told, Smite and Power Surge just happened to work together, that doesn't mean they were intended to.
    This is the most amazing quote I've seen today. Are you really saying that it's a coincidence that Surge and Smite ended up working so well together? That is just amazing. Anyone could look at those two skills and immediately understand you feed one into the other. But to the devs, this was an unintended consequence?? Mind blown...

Reading this, it sure doesn't sound like they were ignorant to the interaction:

http://www.demiurgestudios.com/blog/tho ... er-design/
  • raziel777 wrote:
    raziel777 wrote:

If Thorette was really changed due to upcoming character(s), it is very very bad game-design from D3.

Out of Curiosity, would it be better to put out the Thorette nerf at the time of a released character with the explanation that she is being nerfed due to the new character being released abilities causing a to big of a power shift? Or something along those lines?

New chars should be designed to work with existing chars, not the other way around.
    If any more upcoming chars would destroy balance by adding more charging titles, then change their mechanisms, not existing ones (for example by creating new types of special tiles not working with Smite).
    It is so obviously basic knowledge for any game developer than I don't want to believe that was the case for 4*Thor change.

new characters should compliment, change, or interact with other existing characters, NOT break them. Does this happen? Yes. Should it happen with the smart, smart people on the forums calling D3 out on this stuff? No way! But we were warning the devs about Iron Fist a long long time before he was released. I think we did the same for 4*Thor but can't remember exactly. But really, X-Force is the elephant in the room.

I still can't figure out how they're so obsessed with 4*Thor/infinites when X-Force exists.
  • Roswulf wrote:
    mike h wrote:
    So 3/23 update. 2*-3* should have some time left with the stomneto combo. That should coincide with the final day of the 3* top row covers reward for DDQ . stomneto will get harder to use once we loop back to start second row rewards.
    Seems like swapping out OBW for a red power may be the way to go? Would a multiple Ares Rampage be useful in DDQ now?

I've completed all but two of the DDQ with a 2* roster without ever losing a node (the skips were due to missing characters), and only ever used Stormneto on the easy, 2 stage Survival node to save on Health Packs. OBW/Daken/Thor is very consistent on the main node.

To save on health packs, I just do the 2 stage Survival node with the same exact team I do the 1* node - BW, Juggs, Storm.
  • KrazyKeylime
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    as I was told, Smite and Power Surge just happened to work together, that doesn't mean they were intended to.
    This is the most amazing quote I've seen today. Are you really saying that it's a coincidence that Surge and Smite ended up working so well together? That is just amazing. Anyone could look at those two skills and immediately understand you feed one into the other. But to the devs, this was an unintended consequence?? Mind blown...

Reading this, it sure doesn't sound like they were ignorant to the interaction:

http://www.demiurgestudios.com/blog/tho ... er-design/
    ya i read this gem:
    We knew we wanted one ability that got more powerful with more Charged tiles on the board - the tension of “do I match these tiles to get AP or leave them on the board for a bonus” provides a lot of fun - so that became Smite, Thor’s Red ability. Thor’s Blue ability Power Surge is the most efficient way to put those tiles down, and stuns a foe to boot.
  • KrazyKeylime
    Options
    Madmanami wrote:
    Rags: Umm...
    GREEN, I could maybe-probably not see the cost if it did generate AP.
    RED, I would rather it still created green.
    BLUE, only if it's true healing.

Thoress: Been waiting for this as well as a nerf to X-Force, just shocked that they didn't happen together.
    RED, I like that it does more damage for the cost of 1 less charged tile.
    YELLOW, filler to get to 270.
    BLUE, 12 charged tiles seemed crazy when she was released and I'm surprised it lasted this long, as what was previous said, 6-8 seems realistic.

Iron Fist: I highly doubt that in the grand scheme of things 2 less tiles are going to make that big of a difference.

MMags: I actually like this change, it costs less and up until Cyclops we haven't had a character that created red. Unfortunately you still don't have the ability to place his red countdown tile wherever you want which would have made all of this more receptive, as we all know his red is no slouch with collecting AP and 2* damage.

Mystique: I believe one of these changes, if not both, was unneeded, especially since you can't choose which color to transform to.

All in all I'm guessing that some of these changes are due to possible yet to be released characters.
    iron man 3* generates red
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mjolnerfed.

Glad I didn't drop the $100+ to buy up her covers.

Having said that, it seems like there were a ton of threads talking about how powerful she was. You didn't even need an XF to go with her. I'm told 4hor + Loki + literally any other character was highly effective, and Loki was just there to board shake for blue/red matches.

I understand that she must have been a ton of fun to play with, but people had to see this coming, right?
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Madmanami wrote:
    Rags: Umm...
    GREEN, I could maybe-probably not see the cost if it did generate AP.
    RED, I would rather it still created green.
    BLUE, only if it's true healing.

Thoress: Been waiting for this as well as a nerf to X-Force, just shocked that they didn't happen together.
    RED, I like that it does more damage for the cost of 1 less charged tile.
    YELLOW, filler to get to 270.
    BLUE, 12 charged tiles seemed crazy when she was released and I'm surprised it lasted this long, as what was previous said, 6-8 seems realistic.

Iron Fist: I highly doubt that in the grand scheme of things 2 less tiles are going to make that big of a difference.

MMags: I actually like this change, it costs less and up until Cyclops we haven't had a character that created red. Unfortunately you still don't have the ability to place his red countdown tile wherever you want which would have made all of this more receptive, as we all know his red is no slouch with collecting AP and 2* damage.

Mystique: I believe one of these changes, if not both, was unneeded, especially since you can't choose which color to transform to.

All in all I'm guessing that some of these changes are due to possible yet to be released characters.
    iron man 3* generates red
    Iron man 3* generates blue at 2 covers for Recharge too
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The main thing everyone needs to note about these changes (whether you agree with them or not) is that they totally invalidate buying covers. Unless they do 100% refunds for those that bought IF, then I think the trust of purchasing anything form them has been broken. I'm not asking for anything personally mind you (even though I did buy a pink cover), just trying to point out that the trust needs to be restored on their end. I can't see a vet, noobs or any transitioners buying covers again unless something is done.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm in an unusual spot regarding this big change, as unlike the true healing change, they don't immediately affect me. My 4Thor is 1/1/0, my Iron Fist is 0/1/1, and I don't even have a two-star Magneto. I have never used Mystique except when she's required ( I think mine is a 2/2/2, or similar), so I don't really feel qualified to comment on the changes. I will say that on first glance Iron Fist still looks fantastic and a high-power 3 star, and that he seems to have been only gently clipped by the nerfbat instead of catching it full in the face (like Sentry).

What does disappoint me is the Ragnarok change. I had hoped they would hand his re-design over to the Wise and Clever D3 folks that gave us Loki's awesome green and Doctor Doom's reasonably radical purple. Instead they seem to have given his re-design over to the guy (or gal) who designed Beast, a hero whose awesomeness is inversely proportional to his hairiness. icon_cry.gif
  • Nooneelsesname
    Nooneelsesname Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Phillipes wrote:
    4hore
    4hore
    4hore

Regardless of the problems with this set of character updates (and there are many), if this community is at all serious about this being Women of Marvel month or even pretending to have any respect for the women who play the game this guy needs a ban from posting on the forums.

I'm sorry you're offended, and understand why you are...but if you can't tell from his posts, Phil struggles somewhat with English. He has no idea what this spelling insinuates.

I appreciate that he changed his abbreviation in later posts. I can even understand that the only people that downvoted my post came from your alliance, as you want to support one of your own and you have more information about him.

But when one of your alliance members posts this with his downvote:
    Grow up, this nerf is way worse than any name we can call her

Another one posts this after your post about being ignorant of the implications:
    Noobulator wrote:
    4hore 4hore 4hore

And a member of your alliance family posts this directly after that post:
    Worri wrote:
    Who is this 4hore? She sounds hot and seems like she is popular with the players! I hear tons of people saying they spent good money on a 4hore and now she's going away? What did you expect?

It's not okay and the community should see it aggregated and know about it.

I can also appreciate it if this thread is not the place to have this conversation and it needs to be moved, but the conversation needs to happen and it needs to happen in public.
  • Phillipes wrote:
    4hore
    4hore
    4hore

Regardless of the problems with this set of character updates (and there are many), if this community is at all serious about this being Women of Marvel month or even pretending to have any respect for the women who play the game this guy needs a ban from posting on the forums.

I'm sorry you're offended, and understand why you are...but if you can't tell from his posts, Phil struggles somewhat with English. He has no idea what this spelling insinuates.

I appreciate that he changed his abbreviation in later posts. I can even understand that the only people that downvoted my post came from your alliance, as you want to support one of your own and you have more information about him.

But when one of your alliance members posts this with his downvote:
    Grow up, this nerf is way worse than any name we can call her

Another one posts this after your post about being ignorant of the implications:
    Noobulator wrote:
    4hore 4hore 4hore

And a member of your alliance family posts this directly after that post:
    Worri wrote:
    Who is this 4hore? She sounds hot and seems like she is popular with the players! I hear tons of people saying they spent good money on a 4hore and now she's going away? What did you expect?

It's not okay and the community should see it aggregated and know about it.

I can also appreciate it if this thread is not the place to have this conversation and it needs to be moved, but the conversation needs to happen and it needs to happen in public.

There's also the fact even if you don't speak a language, you can probably insult someone in that language. We're all online. We've all seen it.
  • Ok with all of the updates except mnMags. His combo is ruined with cStorm and other blue power characters. Red tile generation is the only reason he will stay on my roster. Problem is that red tiles are random. Ragnarok still seems pretty weak in my opinion and you really only had to NERF thour blue. Mystique blue update was very needed.
  • ayatorahxephon
    ayatorahxephon Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    You developers should just change the characters before releases not after when everyone has brought or invested time in getting their covers !! It seems like you are just baiting and change after harvesting enough money from the players... And just because Prof X, most of the characters needed to change to fits him and nerfed so no abuse of combos... but why not change HIM an unreleased character instead???
  • KrazyKeylime
    Options
    i don't know why everyone is complaining about 4thors blue for 9 blueflag.png a 1 star.png stuns a team for 1 turn and target for 4 more for the same amount, a 1 star.png lowest tier of characters, besides what else does 4thor going for her besides her 1 shot? her yellow? sub par smite?
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow, two weeks after I buy 7 covers for her, massive nerf.

Taking a lot of willpower not to flip off D3 as I find this out at midnight on a Friday.
  • Wasn't there a quote in the Women of a Marvel interview about how proud they were of TGT? FFS
  • Raffoon
    Options
    Deathclaw wrote:
    Guess I 'gambled' and lost. I knew 4* Thor was really strong, almost X-Force strong. But I hoped and reasoned that 4*s are supposed to be strong, probably the strongest in the game since they're the rarest. X-Force has been chugging along unchanged since his fix. I've seen the 3*s get nerfed, but I figured even though Goddess was super strong, she wasn't game breaking, and even at tha tpower level I STILL used xforce more. Goddess is the first character I spent a good chunk of actual money to get covers for after I won a few in the opening PvE, barring one or two covers on some 3*s to finish them off back in the day, not just because shes strong, but to give me someone else to advance besides X-Force.

Looks like that was a mistake. She's still good, but not 15$ a cover good. I saw this going to 9 or 7 charged tiles, not five. Thats ridiculous. Its now a stun ability, not a charged tile ability. Its definitely not the "gathering storm", its the "looks like rain". I'm not quitting, i'm not selling 4* Thor, i'm just never, ever, spending HP on covers again. Absolutely no character is safe. MN Mags has been around forever, but they nerfed him because of Mystique. So a balanced support character was made worse not because of any unbalance, but a new created unbalance. Its too risky, and covers are too expensive.

Lesson learned.

Exactly how I feel.

Not gonna be buying HP again after this. It was already a waste to spend 100 dollars on a mobile game. Now it gets invalidated at a whim on the developers part? Was some sort of nerf fair? Sure. Cutting her tiles to less than half and dropping the stun duration, though? ****
  • we got a lot of feedback that his Purple ability was too powerful. We dug back into the numbers and found that indeed it was!

That was concerning Iron Fist. So what? Let the players who invested in Iron Fist enjoy kicking opponents @SS. When someone cries cause they got whupped they probably had an inferior roster and if you can't beat 'em, oh, I'll just cry about it so changes will be made. Is that how it works?

And also,
    Our next character update is to Magneto (Marvel NOW). Magneto has been in the game since we launched and has been part of a lot of powerful combos in that time. Recently he’s been the key to an infinite-turn combo with Mystique, which we don’t think is a good thing to have in the game. As a result we decided to update his Purple ability: Polarity Shift to make infinite turn combos harder to achieve, while preserving the unique strategy of the power, carefully choosing a bunch of tiles to convert.

Really? Maybe, maybe I can see to some degree making changes with 3*** or 4**** characters, maybe. But 2** characters? Come on? If a team of 2** characters gave you a beat down, if you had a "supposedly" superior team and you lost, tough luck pal. This ruins a solid team of Magneto (Marvel Now), Modern Hawkeye, and Classic Storm that I'd use. An awesome team of 2**'s that can kick some great 3*** teams, maybe even some with 4**** members.

It's very frustrating for this constant messing around with or "tweaking" of characters. I am very disappointed with all these changes.
  • Raffoon
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    orbitalint wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Right now I am starting to think that they have deliberately stolen from us, at least in the 4hor case. Nerfing the ability from 12 to 5 ? **** ? There is no way in the world that they should have not known that she was going to do 12000 hps with the combo, and now, after this nerf she just can do 7000 after spending 19AP !!! They are completly stupid or this was made on purpose, to make people buy 4hor covers and then nerf her into oblivion. And remember a 4* cover is more or less 15$ !!!

If there was a mistake made, she should have been nerfed right away, not after 4 months, when A LOT of people has spend money into her. And she is not breaking the game the same way Spidey, CMags or Sentry did, she was really good but she did not breake the game.

So, I'm not on either side of her nerf because I don't have a viable 4hor and have never spent HP on her covers. However, as a firm 3* roster who has to boost like all heck to get anywhere above 600, I'd say the "investment" in 4hor covers was A) individuals choice given the games meta for her being top tier and B) people were benefiting from it from extra HP, and a much easier road to decent placement in any PVP they wanted to participate for as long as they had a viable 4hor. 4hors let you climb much higher, much faster in PVP where us non-4hor folk haveto shield hop starting at 650 to try and keep up and do it much earlier in an event.

Again, I'm not saying I'm ok with all the nerfs. I think they overdid hers, but except for people that just bought 4hor to viable status, everyone else has had a leg up on the entire playerbase, many since November. That's a lot of HP, ISO, covers, etc. that have been banked as a result of that "investment."

Yup, that's pretty **** waiting just long enough for most pe
    But you see, some people has been saying that she was OP since day 1, but they wait 4-5 months until they can get as many money as possible (and HP is also money, because if you spend HP into 4hor you don't spend it any other place) and then they nerf her into oblivion to make place for a new 4* -> Prof X or any other future 4*

It was crystal clear what 4hor capabilities were, there were no hidden interactions with other characters, no broken ability, she was not breaking the game as other chars did (Spidey, CMags and Sentry), so why a nerf that makes her worse than her 3* counterpart? Or devs ar stupid or they made everything on purpose, there is no other explication.

Yeah, it's pretty scummy of them to wait and milk money out of her covers, then overnerf.