Coming Soon: Character Updates!

Options

Comments

• fmftint wrote:
    I haven't seen this mentioned but I think the real reason for the MNM nerf was to restrict Prof X's blue to luck. Winfinite on its own is terribly slow, throw in a passive that does 1k/match5, that's when things become broken

Okay, let's say this is true - they cahnged prof's yellowflag.png prior to release, why not the blue?

This also makes it very scary for anyone to invest in characters( imcoin.pngiso8.png ), who knows what new character is coming out, D3 might nerf your favorite character so they won't be broken.

It's a bad precedent to set.
    tanis3303 wrote:
    What about black widow? By placing 6 greens, I can usually make 3 match-5s. You're gonna tell me that's not gonna be an exploit? F-it, let's nerf her too! icon_lol.gif

Oh, BWGS nerf will happen. But it will be awhile. Not nearly as many people have her covers as NMags or Mystique equivalent. So the advantages of, ahem, Deceptive Tactics will be allowed to linger for awhile while players seek out and buy Deceptive Tactics covers (based on the advantage they offer). Then when fully covered Deceptive Tactics becomes ubiquitous, Devs will say "whoops" we never realized that advantage existed and now we're going to NERF. But don't worry, next week we are releasing a shiney new 4-star Nightcrawler and he has the new "it" unbalanced power.

This is stupid but I don't put it past them. At this point, they may as well treat AP generation like they did True Healing and get rid of it. This is so idiotic.

Also, ridiculous that they nerf the 2* AP generator but not the 3* one. So if I can pay for it, it's ok D3?

Also I just realized the irony:

They NERFED professor X who's going to be essential for Dark Avengers: Heroic(WHO TOLD YOU THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA ROFL!!!!!!!?!?!?) where the prize will be Ragnarok(HAHAHAHAHHAHA).

Like, is this your plan D3? Because I don't think it's gonna work. no one likes heroics, no one likes new rag, no one (has) professor X.
  • Oh, GSBW is definitely getting a change in the future. Her Deceptive Tactics is just as overpowered as MNMags. It can easily create two crits on most boards. Plus, her strongest color is Purple. Can you say "synergy with underlevelled Prof X"?

I've gone from 4 green AP to a 19 AP in one move before. Not to mention some nice damage and AP in other colors. The only reason she's still allowed as is, is because there's nobody who can turn that green back to purple. Still, the change is coming eventually. I guarantee it.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And this round of The Hunt has shown how good a follow-up of Deceptive Tactics or Surgical Strike can be to Ragnarok's new blue power. With all the events with Dark Avengers nodes, that can be a speed-up to X-Force or Sniper Rifle.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I hate Mags is getting nerfed, especially with the nice combo of either Cap and Hawkeye. Oh well, tis life. If there's a possibility of endless turns with Mystique, the devs have no other choice.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    rawfsu wrote:
    I hate Mags is getting nerfed, especially with the nice combo of either Cap and Hawkeye. Oh well, tis life. If there's a possibility of endless turns with Mystique, the devs have no other choice.

Oh, they have choices.

And because they are choosing to make these changes, many people are upset.

They could make different choices. They could tweak and then test, rather than this ham-fisted approach. They choose not to.

They also choose to operate on a character system with very little to no testing or long-term planning.

These are all choices that had other options.
  • Does it seem to anyone else that they changed 2* Mags specifically to have synergy with new Ragnarok? Like they are trying to convince you that the old combos are lame and we shouldn't play with them but hey, try this ~new~ combo that you will need to buy some Rags covers to use and we think you will like a lot.
    I mean who doesn't want to pair a 2* with a 3* and then collect purple to make red and blue, then use the red to make more blue, then use blue to maybe make some green to get enough green to do a somewhat lackluster AOE. Which sounds almost like a respectable plan, until you remember GSBW (who is featured everywhere recently) can do the whole purple to green, into large respectable AOE all by herself.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    camichan wrote:
    I'm thankful Demiurge Miles provided some commentary. It might give me some confidence, except it's hard to have confidence in rebalances when you look at the recent Sentry rebalance.

I saw Northern Polarity's comment in this thread that he sees some or much of the rationale behind the rebalance, aside from the 4hor yellow. I'd be interested to see his analysis on 4hor's red/blue, especially blue, and whether it's overdone or whether it really makes sense. I couldn't find it if it's hidden somewhere in one of these threads. If anyone has the link to his comments on that, I'd be interested to read it and would appreciate it.

I'm also curious how these changes impact PVE scaling, and the ability to reach 1k progression in PVP.

Now that I'm moving permanently to free 2 play, I can totally divorce monetary loss from these character rebalances and just find interest in observing how the metagame continuously shifts.

I'm not 100% sure on whether or not 5 blue was overdone or not in terms of how good it will be post nerf, but I do know that it was overdone in the sense that regardless of how balanced it actually is, seeing a nerf from 12 -> 5 is wrong simply for the fact that it will cause mass hysteria, as you can see from this thread.

I think my balancing plan would have been the following -
    1. GT blue, 12 -> 8 tiles and 3 turn stun. This is reasonable enough to tone down the power without it being completely broken, and you can say something like "if this isn't enough, then we'll adjust some more".
    2. Fury buff alongside this nerf to make him roughly x-force tier, so that they show us that they actually care about 4*diversity. Fury's abilities are pretty standard so he could have easily been buffed to be as good as X-Force (yellow, lower AP requirements to 3, purple 12->9 AP just off the top of my head).

This would have made sure that 4or was still competitive with X-Force, and given us a 3 character 4* metagame. People would complain about the nerfs, but they'd be idiots to say that it neuters the character so it wouldn't have been warranted. Instead, they chose to release the 4or nerfs alongside Ragnarok, which I'm guessing they did because it was both related to charge tiles, but ugh. Maybe they thought that this would be damage control along the same lines as my suggestion to buff Fury, but except, no one with a 4or would even remotely care about any 3* character change, let alone Ragnarok changes that made him arguably worse than he was before. Instead, we're going to see a 1 character metagame in X-Force, and whatever character happens to support him the best depending on the featured. This is probably actually better than the xor metagame that we had before in that at least now it's not going to be xor 100% of the time all the time, but it's still pretty bad in that its still xforce 100% of the time all the time.

In terms of actual reaction to the nerfs, I think that people are still overreacting. 4or is considerably weaker than she was before, but the people comparing her to the rags nerfs are just being silly. She definitely has fallen from god tier in that now you'll actually consider not using her in every single PvE / PvP, but the 16k HP + still passable offensive capability will definitely still let her see play in the upper tiers of PvP. She's obviously not as good as X-Force anymore, but she's still top 10 in that shes still better than BP / etc, who as you all recall, are still top 10 characters.
  • As a players who is starting the transition from 2* to 3*, I disagree with that Magneto nerf too.

You are breaking his synergy with Classic Storm and OB Widow wich for the most of us allowed us to complete the Deadpool Daily Quest. Either by feeding OBW's blue and delay the countdowns of the AI while healing, or to trigger Classic Storm,'s blue ability.

How are we supposed to beat 4 waves of level 99-132 opponents now, with level 94 characters and not (or very few) healing ??? Solving problems isn't solving problems if you create other problems in the process.

I'll try a couple of times to complete the Deadpool's Daily Quest but be sure that if it's impossible to get the daily 3* cover, I'll lose my patience with this game and uninstall it. Plain and simple.

Gaming should be fun and rewarding , not a source of frustration. And I'm sorry to say but, right now, I get more frustration than fun with it. This game, however addictive, can be stressful and frustrating because of how much time and effort it takes to make a slow progression. How many victories it takes to win a single token... How many ''losing ''tokens it takes to draw one that will help you...
    But I digress.

Just listen up to the community and leave Magneto alone.
  • I think people may be thinking the MNM nerf will have a bigger impact than it might in reality. You can still manually place 3 blue tiles, this means probably 4 out of 5 turns you want to you'll be able to make a match-5 with this ability, plus add some red to the board. Obviously the match-5 is mostly what you're going for to get blue AP and a crit, you'll still be able to do it plenty with his ability.

If you recall C.Mags originally was able to make just 2 blue tiles and people were able to abuse the tinykitty out of that! Now, obviously, the AP costs are a bit different, so you won't be able to abuse it, but getting a 5-er should be easy
  • I know she's not MMags, but the comparison is there. I've been playing GSBW this PVE and have yet to use her purple (2 covers so pick 3 tiles to turn green) and have yet to NOT get a match 5 out of the deal.

Will it be slower? yes. But its still a viable combo plus you'll be getting red to fuel mags other ability or someone else's with the chance of match 4-5's from that as well.
  • I agree with everyone who wants MNMags not to change. Please leave him alone. I just started playing and I don't even have any level 94 characters. MNMAgs is helping me get closer to developing a level 94 roster. I as well don't know how much more difficult it will be with this change since as it is, it is already hard to get any consistent hero covers to level up. I find it slow now, and with this change it might even make it more difficult to survive PVE and get a decent rank just to get the featured character. icon_e_sad.gif

Why not apply this change to those who have maxed out characters, and give us a newbies a chance to catch up? At least when i've had the time to max out the essential heros than I know I'll be able to use his new powers assuming I can draw 3* characters that will make it somewhat easier. ughhhhh
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anyone know how long sale prices for Rags will be available?

I'm assuming it will at least be until after the other changes go through on the 23rd, and hopefully some time after that, but if it ends before that it'd be nice to have that communicated.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    7-8 charged tiles would have been reasonable. 5 is overreacting. She's supposed to be powerful and among the top characters. She costs 100+ dollars or massive amounts of time and a ton of ISO.

This is a good reminder about how easily characters can change though. Seems like I won't be buying any more HP, even with this sale.
  • throwing-money-2.jpg
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    D3 says that infinite combos break the game. And I agree that they can. Especially if abused. Personally, I'm not even too upset over the changes. Change does not always mean bad. Sometimes it does, but not always. However, regarding infinte combos......

Hate to the bearer of bad news to D3, but there will always be infinite combos. With more on the way.

There are 63 characters in the game, most them have 3 abilities. 6 with only 2, iirc. That's 183 different powers. D3 adds 2 new characters a month, plus occasionally adds a 3rd ability to a character that only has 2 of them. 6 new powers a month, 12 months a year, thats 72 new abilities. A year from now, there will be over 250 powers in this game. With that many combinations, there will be some that cancel each other out, some that boost others, and some, when combined correctly, wiil be infinite! I know of at least one right now, but it uses a character that most players consider one of the weaker 3*, so it's probably not well known. Figuring out how to combine abilities to the best effect is part of what makes this a strategy game.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    Oh no... I just realized it's women's month and they nerfed the two strongest woman characters in the game, Mystique and 4Thor...... icon_redface.gif
  • tanis3303 wrote:
    What about black widow? By placing 6 greens, I can usually make 3 match-5s. You're gonna tell me that's not gonna be an exploit? F-it, let's nerf her too! icon_lol.gif

Well at least there's a reason to let Hawkeye live...@least until ppl complain then......NERF!!
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rawfsu wrote:
    Oh well? I for one think it's bull..IMPO the New characters should be built around the existing ones...Why change one that has been established in the game/gameplay to accommodate the new characters when it should be the other way around? It's unfair to the players who have invested time/ISO/HP into pre existing characters.. IMO they should show some consideration for the players and base all incoming characters around pre-established ones..How hard is that!?! Adjust before release/and prevent the loss of multiple investments of/for the players... .
  • adamLmpq wrote:
    I think people may be thinking the MNM nerf will have a bigger impact than it might in reality. You can still manually place 3 blue tiles, this means probably 4 out of 5 turns you want to you'll be able to make a match-5 with this ability, plus add some red to the board. Obviously the match-5 is mostly what you're going for to get blue AP and a crit, you'll still be able to do it plenty with his ability.

If you recall C.Mags originally was able to make just 2 blue tiles and people were able to abuse the tinykitty out of that! Now, obviously, the AP costs are a bit different, so you won't be able to abuse it, but getting a 5-er should be easy

IDK about the CMags nerf,however with the MNM by the time you're able to get enough AP for Windstorm (provided that the board isn't R bombed) you've gotten the "Smackdown" from lvl 120+Thor/Ares/Moonstone and/or AI rocket launch, and if you actually manage to survive then you need Hawkeye to be able to live through a whole battle. Generally it's a must (@least for me) to have boosts(including the ones that cost HP) when forced to go against lvl 140+ opponents and 200+Goons w/lvl 94s. How are us 2*-3* transitioners supposed to actually Transition when we have no viable ability to compete in PVE'S and/or PVPs (especially facing 200+ XF wall to win/earn tokens. Theres NO possible way to make it into top tier so can't earn 3* tokens. All this talk about how we can get our much needed 3* covers in DPD is redundant when you have to have the 3* to begin with. On top of that you're then basically "Punished" for not having it because then you're unable complete it and earn @least the ISO.

It seems to me that everyone who's like "it's no biggie" concerning the MNM nerf have already transitioned into the 3* phase...
    Well, I'm happy for you but where does that leave us 2*s and any newcomers?
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Raffoon wrote:
    Oh no... I just realized it's women's month and they nerfed the two strongest woman characters in the game, Mystique and 4Thor...... icon_redface.gif

It's funny how hard they pushed woman's month.......I mean how hard they pushed women in women's month. icon_e_confused.gif