Coming Soon: Character Updates!

Options

Comments

• Players in 2->3 transition will have very fun times clearing goon nodes where single CD wiping your character. The change makes it that you are required to have good board to clear overleveled nodes even more than before. Going from 5 to 3 choosen tiles is harsher nerf than it seems - you don't always get position to make even single match-5 and you can no longer use it to snipe CDs. That will probably means they will have to move to oBW + Mags which is more reliable by just increasing cds on timers. Except whatever you put in last slot, this team up be much, much slower. Even 2* players are sometimes seeing goons with 20k hp, without Storm such match could easily take between 5 and 10 minutes.

Oh, and you made Hawkeye go from 'niche/novelty' to 'trash', good job.
  • TL; DR The balance is a good thing. Special thanks to Phantron, Northern Polarity, and others.

I should not be surprised at the outrage over the proposed changes. Afterall, there is a precedent of a much wiser people missing the forest for the trees. In the Star Wars Episode 1-3, the Jedi are enthusiastic that they may have found the one of prophecy to bring balance to the force. Then, they are somehow shocked as most Jedi are purged out of existence. Hello, Jedi outnumbered Sith like an army of Jedis vs 2 Sith, what did you think balance meant? The supposedly most wise people in space could not see that good was way OP compared to evil and balance meant there was going to be order to blaster nerf Jedi till the numbers were a little more even.

A lot of people talked about wanting a more balanced game. A game where more characters mattered than simply X-Force and 4or (Sex Goddess). A game where the featured character in PVP would matter more. A game where there was no Winifite or nearly automatic win combo. Then, the developers balance the game (which IMO is best for the long term health of the game) which meant OP characters and combos got less strong, so that they are still good (in 4or's case, still 4* good, just 5* godlike), just not OP.

Confession time. I would have lead with this, but I really do not understand how no one ever discusses how dumb/blind the Jedi were.

I actually majorly whaled up my 4or right when she came out. Sentry was gone and left a vacuum. The only Stark I ever bought was for that one purpose only. In fact, it was my only Christmas gift this year. Factually/Sadly true. So, I stood to lose more than most if 4or was ever nerfed. Given all that, in a moment of clarity and forthrightness, I directly told two people (not mentioning names) that despite my investment, I knew 4or had to be nerfed. One of the people was a little taken a back. I told them, no one should be able to one shot the highest health characters in the game. More importantly, this was just after the Thick as Thieves PVE, I said, I beat repeatedly the 395 Hood/C Mags node like it was nothing. No challenge at all. We've all played that node in previous iterations. That should never, ever happen. So, I again reiterated, even though 4or represented my biggest investment (also sold several characters to get ISO for her), I knew that she needed to be nerfed.

We can argue whether or not she was overnerfed. It's all academic. We'll find out soon enough. I think given her health and 3 turn sturn, she's still 4* quality. Actually, good 4* quality. She just won't win close out speed matches like she used too. But again, that was overpowered. If you can get one character down, and the other character is a max 4or and fill in the blank, that should not be an automatic win situation.

As far as the MMN purple nerf, we've all used that combo. We'll still be able to make at least one match 5. I already tried it, it's not hard. I'm more excited about the chance to speed up his red ability. It's one of the best in the game, but it just costs an arm and a leg. I'm hoping this will make it more feasible. Moreover, for people moaning about this change, that could have just made the blue tile placement random like TS for Thor. So, I think they did get job of keeping the ability having synergy with C Storm and M Hawkeye. Phantron must feel vindicated. He has been stating forever that tile placement was a bad idea from day 1 (or shortly there after).

Fist, no one should be arguing against this. He got off easy. He's still really good, but not OP. I'm fine with this one.

I left Mq for last. She is one of my favorite characters in the game. It really hurts to see her get the Sentry treatment. A nerf to the number of tiles and a nerf to her ability cost. I wish they would have just done one or the other even if was lowering the number of tiles created by one more. But, I understand winfinite is a broken combo. So even though I'm not happy with the change, I'm willing to accept it as neccessary.

I know that I feel like I am in the minority, but I like that MPQ stepped up and made these changes. I am very happy that they did so quicker than Sentry. I think a more balanced game is a better game. I would like to acknowledge people like Phantron, Northern Polarity, and people I 'm too lazy to look up and give credit to that have taken their time on the forum and more than their fair share of criticism at times to fight for us to have a more balanced game. I hope most of all that people give the changes a chance before making final judgments. I hope players will continue to give developers feedback after the changes. Positive and negative feedback will hopefully continue to shape the game to better product for all of us players.

I'll say again what I say often. The worst thing about this game is that it is always changing so you have to adapt. The best thing about this game is that it is always changing so you get to adapt.
  • "We take covers out of rotation so we can 'work on them out of the spotlight'...except when we don't."

Sorry, that line of spin bullkitty was always a pet peeve of mine. Have to take the opportunity to point it out again.
  • Nivrax wrote:
    Players in 2->3 transition will have very fun times clearing goon nodes where single CD wiping your character. The change makes it that you are required to have good board to clear overleveled nodes even more than before. Going from 5 to 3 choosen tiles is harsher nerf than it seems - you don't always get position to make even single match-5 and you can no longer use it to snipe CDs. That will probably means they will have to move to oBW + Mags which is more reliable by just increasing cds on timers. Except whatever you put in last slot, this team up be much, much slower. Even 2* players are sometimes seeing goons with 20k hp, without Storm such match could easily take between 5 and 10 minutes.

OBW/Ares is still your best option for these nodes, Steal their green and murder them with it while increasing their CDs on blue. Also Red/Yellow murder. Add Ms. Marvel for black murder.

And Hawkeye is still fine, better even with MNM providing him red. After taking 9 purple if there are still 8 purples left to Speed Shot I'd be amazed. Get your 1 crit tile, splat some red up on the board, maybe fire a blast arrow, wait 2 turns for the enemy team to implode.
  • jralbino wrote:
    "We take covers out of rotation so we can 'work on them out of the spotlight'...except when we don't."

Sorry, that line of spin bullkitty was always a pet peeve of mine. Have to take the opportunity to point it out again.

How long should X-Force be out of tokens, D3? We're waiting
    Lerysh wrote:
    Nivrax wrote:
    Players in 2->3 transition will have very fun times clearing goon nodes where single CD wiping your character. The change makes it that you are required to have good board to clear overleveled nodes even more than before. Going from 5 to 3 choosen tiles is harsher nerf than it seems - you don't always get position to make even single match-5 and you can no longer use it to snipe CDs. That will probably means they will have to move to oBW + Mags which is more reliable by just increasing cds on timers. Except whatever you put in last slot, this team up be much, much slower. Even 2* players are sometimes seeing goons with 20k hp, without Storm such match could easily take between 5 and 10 minutes.

OBW/Ares is still your best option for these nodes, Steal their green and murder them with it while increasing their CDs on blue. Also Red/Yellow murder. Add Ms. Marvel for black murder.

And Hawkeye is still fine, better even with MNM providing him red. After taking 9 purple if there are still 8 purples left to Speed Shot I'd be amazed. Get your 1 crit tile, splat some red up on the board, maybe fire a blast arrow, wait 2 turns for the enemy team to implode.

You're kidding if you think Hawkeye is good - His purpleflag.png was his best ability(and more or less his only ability).
  • KrazyKeylime
    KrazyKeylime Posts: 367
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It all makes sense, MPQ feeds on our sadness and outrage. why else would they keep making horrible decisions?

D3 needs to make up their mind is a 4* a 4* or is it a tanky 3*.

ragnarok is a **** remake, doom kept his skills, rags can't ****. just off the top of my head he could of had an ability called malfunction too much energy was generated 5 blacktile.png where there is a chance to stun himself for 3 turns, shoot off one of his other abilities or let loose a blast of energy dealing max 3500 single target increase in covers covers can reduce the stun down to 1 or 2 or sway the outcome so stun is less likely. right you like Gamblely stuff, especially if the odds are in your favor icon_e_biggrin.gif cough token packs cough

4* thor wasn't too big of a problem i can take her and 4* wolvie maxed with a lvl 180 551 boosted 3+ blacktile.pnggreentile.png wolvie. i guess it just shows how strong 4* wolvie has become. i find it borderline offensive to debuff the strongest female character in woman appreciation month. the stun isn't a problem until your down to your last guy if you build your team right. i just let the hulk take the stun when it comes and collect charged tiles when no green or black are present, and if you get a surgical strike on her you don't need to worry about smite. the yellow debuff was insult to injury. it should of been a buff adding 2 charge tiles if enemy has no special tiles. i barely have 3 covers on 4thor.

the heck are you guys thinking releasing IF like that just to nerf him? if 2 weeks is too ambitious to develop a new character that isn't game breaking by all means slow down we all asked you to anyways.
    In the feb Q & A the artist guy admitted that he liked playing winfinite, next patch nerf **** get your stuff to together you are guys are coming off unprofessional and don't know how to balance anything correctly.
    i thought women appreciation month = IW buff but i was sorely disappointed like many other people. just recall this change except IF and well pretend it never happened.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    Nivrax wrote:

You're kidding if you think Hawkeye is good - His purpleflag.png was his best ability(and more or less his only ability).

I didn't say he was "good" I said he was "not trash", and he's not. He's still camped out in the "hey if you can make easy crit tiles I can help you do 4k damage to the enemy team" niche of helping MNM, Thor, GSBW, and Mystique throw around a little damage.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Options
    Seems to me that some of these weren't thought out too well. The StormNetoStique Combo? OK, but what about the 2* transitioners who don't even have Mystique? The extra move on Ragnorok that just allows him to gain healing seems out there and the addition of team harm to one of his powers is just stupid.
  • Bought a stark salary to max Iron Fist, because he was cool, but not OP.

He was very fun to play.

This goes too far. And as someone said : where is IW character change ?

This is not serious...
  • We're still 3 weeks away from April Fools! This is way too early to present jokes like this!
  • TL; DR The balance is a good thing. Special thanks to Phantron, Northern Polarity, and others.

The tile placement abilities is one of those 'who could possibly know how to use this ability besides me?' issues when the answer is 'everyone else knows too'. On a superficial level they seem to reward skilled gameplay but in the end you pretty much always used those to form the biggest match 4/5s you can possibly do, and maybe 1 out of 100 times you'd put it to match away that blue Sniper Rifle CD that's about to go off. It creates a have versus have not (more significant during the pre nerf Magneto days) and since events are inherently competitive it's not a real advantage. If every event is like the Gauntlet, you can say well the computer can't post about how Magneto is unfair so why should we care? It wouldn't be totally correct but indeed no other players are harmed for you having an infinite combo on your lap if events are not competitive. The AI certainly is harmed but we don't care about the AI until they take over the world.

For Mystique there's a problem that even random placement abilities that are expected to return more AP than the input has a very high chance of being able to go on for a long time. In this respect changing Infilitration to 10 AP is a bit of overkill. The problem was Polarity Shift because any ability that lets you target a color for a huge amount of AP is just going to be a problem. Putting it at the 4 match level is likely a precaution, similar to how MTG ensures no card under a certain CMC cannot win the game outright which means any card that cost enough to win the game outright is okay no matter how broken it is, because winning by doing 20 damage or infinite damage is still exactly the same thing. At 4 matches, as long as Surgical Strike is not nerfed this puts it safely at a 'balanced' state, as even if later people discover a combo that lets you win the game with Infiltration, it's no more broken than Surgical Strike deciding if not outright winning the game at 4 matches, and it's possible this hypothetical combo doesn't even exist. Along the same lines, Deceptive Tactics is probably okay even though it has the exact same characteristics as Polarity Shift. It costs 4 matches (11 AP), so even if it always won you the game, you could've a Surgical Strike for that cost anyway. This also means there could be an interesting shakeup to the game balance if/when X Force is nerfed. As long as Surgical Strike is around there's an implicit agreement that 4 match moves that win the game for you are okay, but not 3.

I think Thor should've had a HP nerf first. There's no way to make her work with 16K HP. You can't have a character with that much more HP while being remotely as good as other characters. It's overkill but not unexpected because she still has 16K HP and that has to count against her, quite severely really since a lot of players are easily intimidated by large amount of HP on an opponent regardless of how powerful that character is.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    Have to throw my two cents in as well.

I bought two covers for If, and am still very happy with it. MnMags change seems fine, even interesting. My max Mystique might honestly get sold, she filled such a niche roll, she can't stand on her own. Rags green flat out looks horrible, designed solely for pairing with green feeding goons! Shame on you! Thoress...I just bought a blue cover last week to make her 4/2/5, very serviceable. Now, she and the 300k iso i spent on her will go back to the bench most likely. Blue needs to make 7 or 8 charged tiles, it's as simple as that.

In my opinion the only true 4* is now XForce, GT and the rest are simply 3.5* if that.
    The things worth chasing in this game have all but dried up or been revealed as illusions. Marginal advancements for extreme investments is what they clearly want to offer.

Also, why the tinnykitty don't you just involve some or all of us in proposed changes!? There are some incredibly smart and dedicated people writing on these forums, use them! Don't just lurk for complaints/power abuses!
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TL; DR The balance is a good thing. Special thanks to Phantron, Northern Polarity, and others.

I should not be surprised at the outrage over the proposed changes. Afterall, there is a precedent of a much wiser people missing the forest for the trees. In the Star Wars Episode 1-3, the Jedi are enthusiastic that they may have found the one of prophecy to bring balance to the force. Then, they are somehow shocked as most Jedi are purged out of existence. Hello, Jedi outnumbered Sith like an army of Jedis vs 2 Sith, what did you think balance meant? The supposedly most wise people in space could not see that good was way OP compared to evil and balance meant there was going to be order to blaster nerf Jedi till the numbers were a little more even.

A lot of people talked about wanting a more balanced game. A game where more characters mattered than simply X-Force and 4or (Sex Goddess). A game where the featured character in PVP would matter more. A game where there was no Winifite or nearly automatic win combo. Then, the developers balance the game (which IMO is best for the long term health of the game) which meant OP characters and combos got less strong, so that they are still good (in 4or's case, still 4* good, just 5* godlike), just not OP.

Confession time. I would have lead with this, but I really do not understand how no one ever discusses how dumb/blind the Jedi were.

I actually majorly whaled up my 4or right when she came out. Sentry was gone and left a vacuum. The only Stark I ever bought was for that one purpose only. In fact, it was my only Christmas gift this year. Factually/Sadly true. So, I stood to lose more than most if 4or was ever nerfed. Given all that, in a moment of clarity and forthrightness, I directly told two people (not mentioning names) that despite my investment, I knew 4or had to be nerfed. One of the people was a little taken a back. I told them, no one should be able to one shot the highest health characters in the game. More importantly, this was just after the Thick as Thieves PVE, I said, I beat repeatedly the 395 Hood/C Mags node like it was nothing. No challenge at all. We've all played that node in previous iterations. That should never, ever happen. So, I again reiterated, even though 4or represented my biggest investment (also sold several characters to get ISO for her), I knew that she needed to be nerfed.

We can argue whether or not she was overnerfed. It's all academic. We'll find out soon enough. I think given her health and 3 turn sturn, she's still 4* quality. Actually, good 4* quality. She just won't win close out speed matches like she used too. But again, that was overpowered. If you can get one character down, and the other character is a max 4or and fill in the blank, that should not be an automatic win situation.

As far as the MMN purple nerf, we've all used that combo. We'll still be able to make at least one match 5. I already tried it, it's not hard. I'm more excited about the chance to speed up his red ability. It's one of the best in the game, but it just costs an arm and a leg. I'm hoping this will make it more feasible. Moreover, for people moaning about this change, that could have just made the blue tile placement random like TS for Thor. So, I think they did get job of keeping the ability having synergy with C Storm and M Hawkeye. Phantron must feel vindicated. He has been stating forever that tile placement was a bad idea from day 1 (or shortly there after).

Fist, no one should be arguing against this. He got off easy. He's still really good, but not OP. I'm fine with this one.

I left Mq for last. She is one of my favorite characters in the game. It really hurts to see her get the Sentry treatment. A nerf to the number of tiles and a nerf to her ability cost. I wish they would have just done one or the other even if was lowering the number of tiles created by one more. But, I understand winfinite is a broken combo. So even though I'm not happy with the change, I'm willing to accept it as neccessary.

I know that I feel like I am in the minority, but I like that MPQ stepped up and made these changes. I am very happy that they did so quicker than Sentry. I think a more balanced game is a better game. I would like to acknowledge people like Phantron, Northern Polarity, and people I 'm too lazy to look up and give credit to that have taken their time on the forum and more than their fair share of criticism at times to fight for us to have a more balanced game. I hope most of all that people give the changes a chance before making final judgments. I hope players will continue to give developers feedback after the changes. Positive and negative feedback will hopefully continue to shape the game to better product for all of us players.

I'll say again what I say often. The worst thing about this game is that it is always changing so you have to adapt. The best thing about this game is that it is always changing so you get to adapt.

If I didn´t respect you so much, I would downvote you.

Yes, they are making more balanced game now.
    But that is only one side of the coin.
    If they are making this kind of changes, they need to do "other" changes as well (other side of coin).

1, When you want to score 1000 point, you need to be quick. GT nerf affect this is negative way.
    Outcome - longer games between hops, more players rage, more stress.
    (PVP is alreasy stresfull as hell.)

2, Im always top 10 PVE. You are giving that pesky Hood Cmags node as an example.
    Im OK with that. But that node is impossible to beat without boosted GT. And if I want to be top 10, I need to clear it several times, with other characters it is not possible due to scaling).
    In fact, there are almost half nodes in every PVE subs that are not beatable without XF/GT. (Some of them are, with other characters, but they are almost dead after that particular game, and healing time is 5 hours).
    What choise do I have when 9 x 4 games need to be played?

3, Mystique MNmags combo - why they changed that? They were unreliable, I lost numerous times with them, that combo is good, but pretty random. Games with them are slow. They are used in PVE
    to overcome outscaled nodes. Again, why to change that?

Result? They didnt fix anything. They maybe fixed balance, One on One game... but this game isn´t about balanced one on one game anymore...
    It is about speed (shield hopping), durability (only 2 usable character in PVE due to scaling), patience (PVP climbing, grinding PVE 1,5 - 2 hours before end), strong will (all writen before together).

This changes maybe make this game more balanced, but they will make it much less enjoyable (= slower, harder, more stresfull).

As I post here manytimes, I´m convinced that devs aren´t playing theirs game at all. If they were, thery would know there are other issues they need to fix. They are just cruel and sadistic.

Edit: Changed slang name of 4* Thor. There are people here that didn´t have problem with that name 1 million times before, but it is problem suddenly.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Guys, I have to admit, this is all my fault! I posted a video about how broken Prof X is with Magneto and Mystique, so they nerfed them because of me! I AM SORRY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joaZxU5Hu0w
  • Lerysh wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    Nivrax wrote:

I didn't say he was "good" I said he was "not trash", and he's not. He's still camped out in the "hey if you can make easy crit tiles I can help you do 4k damage to the enemy team" niche of helping MNM, Thor, GSBW, and Mystique throw around a little damage.

not trash? Is that above Yelena...cmon dude. Hawkeyes uses just went down even further. This hurts 2*players without helping them any in return.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    kthunder wrote:
    Moral of the story; do not give these filthy rats another penny of your hard earned money.

Fact.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    Any matchup that get you can afford using Hawkeye Red to kill stuff instead of generating up to 25 random AP (+ huge hit) is not one I would really care for. Attacking normal nodes is easy enough. When you're going against real heavy class (overleveled Maggia Don, Venom, Jugs), given that you will now need every single Purple to have enough for timely stuns, he will be hampering your team more than helping. The change for Mags is to make infinite combo (which works only on goons mind you) harder to pull off and easier to break, so any character that makes it harder to sustain (by swallowing Purple) is extremely dangerous.

In current state, in game with Iso shortage I just simply wouldn't bother leveling him. His uses are now too niche, and when he is useful, he isn't amazing anymore. There is 9 2* characters I would take over him and that's more than you will need before you go into 3* land.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:

not trash? Is that above Yelena...cmon dude. Hawkeyes uses just went down even further. This hurts 2*players without helping them any in return.

Which areas of the game where you were using Hawkeye are you going to not use him now? With MNM? Because I'm saying his partnership with MNM is still fine, and possibly even stronger with the red fuel.
  • Nivrax wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    Any matchup that get you can afford using Hawkeye Red to kill stuff instead of generating up to 25 random AP (+ huge hit) is not one I would really care for. Attacking normal nodes is easy enough. When you're going against real heavy class (overleveled Maggia Don, Venom, Jugs), given that you will now need every single Purple to have enough for timely stuns, he will be hampering your team more than helping. The change for Mags is to make infinite combo (which works only on goons mind you) harder to pull off and easier to break, so any character that makes it harder to sustain (by swallowing Purple) is extremely dangerous.

In current state, in game with Iso shortage I just simply wouldn't bother leveling him. His uses are now too niche, and when he is useful, he isn't amazing anymore. There is 9 2* characters I would take over him and that's more than you will need before you go into 3* land.

Ok, that's fair. When I was in 2* land there was no Ms. Marvel, Jonny Storm, or a useable Daken, so MNM is on my roster with affection for his help pushing me through the transition.

Even still, Hawkeye's status remains unchanged. He is a helper of those who can easily generate crit tiles, which MNM can do. If you don't want MNM on your roster that's on you, not Hawkeye.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:

Which areas of the game where you were using Hawkeye are you going to not use him now? With MNM? Because I'm saying his partnership with MNM is still fine, and possibly even stronger with the red fuel.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL I think our conversation is done here. If that's what u think I have nothing more to say to you on the matter.

Hawkeye tanks, provides speed shots(and if I absolutely cannot get Mag redflag.png) I will use blast arrow.

His partnership is not stronger, rofl. I don't care about red AP. I JUST WANT THE blueflag.pngblueflag.pngblueflag.pngblueflag.pngblueflag.png (and green, but mostly blueflag.png ).