Options

Comments

• Unknown
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    I use Falcon a lot. His order goes something like:
    1. Upgrade special tiles immediately after 1st yellow match.
    2. Finish resolving all following cascades.
    3. Upgrade special tiles for any yellow matches that happened in step 2.

Don't know if that helps when looking at X, as I haven't played around with him yet.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I know if you do like yellow into yellow into something else you certainly don't get both of them right away.

Looks like Professor X's upgrade ability happens strictly at the end, even after the attack tiles do their thing.
    Just to add, if you get criticals + extra moves, his ability may resolve just after you move (for the previous moves) but for the rest his ability still does not resolve until the very end, at which time it resolves multiple times.

Playing with him more, I can sort of see why Mystique was double nerfed. Mystique+Prof X alone eventually creates a lot of turns, particularly if you can get about 2 criticals with every cast of infiltration. However, I think they should have just nerfed the 5th cover of Prof X's Blue to only generate 3 AP as opposed to 4, making the chain much harder.
    Eh, I'm sort of a sucker for Mystique.
  • daibar wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    I use Falcon a lot. His order goes something like:
    1. Upgrade special tiles immediately after 1st yellow match.
    2. Finish resolving all following cascades.
    3. Upgrade special tiles for any yellow matches that happened in step 2.

Don't know if that helps when looking at X, as I haven't played around with him yet.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I know if you do like yellow into yellow into something else you certainly don't get both of them right away.

Looks like Professor X's upgrade ability happens strictly at the end, even after the attack tiles do their thing.
    Just to add, if you get criticals + extra moves, his ability still does not resolve until the very end, at which time it resolves multiple times.

Playing with him more, I can sort of see why Mystique was double nerfed. Mystique+Prof X alone eventually creates a lot of turns, particularly if you can get about 2 criticals with every cast of infiltration. However, I think they should have just nerfed the 5th cover of Prof X's Blue to only generate 3 AP as opposed to 4, making the chain much harder.
    Eh, I'm sort of a sucker for Mystique.
    If you can do that you're extremely, extremely lucky
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I beat the level 221 or so Daken/Bullseye/Moonstone node with a lvl 171 2/2/1 Prof X, level 90 5/3/5 1* Storm and lvl 71 5/5/3 2* Torch. Without boosting I managed to gather 10 black and 7 purple which allowed me to win with a single remaining 2000+ attack tile. If the enemy team lacks AoE its quite possible to win with a relatively terrible team and have a fighting chance with a mediocre one. Even if they do have AoE, if your protect tile manages to stick it can be boosted to the point where it can nullify all damage.

Team Ups do trigger his yellow so you have up to 3 shots at refreshing your tiles (with 4+ yellow covers) in the event they get taken out. Packing a 300+ Ares green TU you can at least guarantee an insta nuke on the most dangerous enemy.
  • Since Professor X upgrades on any match he makes even a single attack tile can quickly become something ridiculous when he's the last guy left.

I'm rethinking about 5 in blue but I think this heroic isn't a good one since you don't really have anyone that'd be good for setting up match 5s. I don't think it's that important to have yellow maxed because if you want to have Professor X kill everyone as the last person you can just group him with Daken. As long as any of Daken's strike tile survive the game sure isn't going to last very long once Prof X is the last guy left and it's usually not *that* hard to get your character killed once scaling takes off.
  • Lacydog69
    Lacydog69 Posts: 43
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Since Professor X upgrades on any match he makes even a single attack tile can quickly become something ridiculous when he's the last guy left.

I'm rethinking about 5 in blue but I think this heroic isn't a good one since you don't really have anyone that'd be good for setting up match 5s. I don't think it's that important to have yellow maxed because if you want to have Professor X kill everyone as the last person you can just group him with Daken. As long as any of Daken's strike tile survive the game sure isn't going to last very long once Prof X is the last guy left and it's usually not *that* hard to get your character killed once scaling takes off.

Looking at everything though, I would think you want his yellow at either 4 or 5, so that you can either have a strike and attack, or just an attack tile. If he's the only one left and invisible with nothing left on board, it's going to be a slow rest of match unless you luck into some match-5s.

Which is where I think Punisher would be a good pairing, because even though you have a slight chance Judgement may destroy a invisibility tile, he has cheap enough powers that can fire often letting you just spit out special tiles from the professor.

Pair that with Daken and you can make a mean combo, I would think.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Since Professor X upgrades on any match he makes even a single attack tile can quickly become something ridiculous when he's the last guy left.

I'm there with you. I mean the damage difference from 4 blue to 5 blue is almost nothing, the big upgrade is +2 on the AP, but....how much is that going to be needed is my question?

Say I'm running him with GSBW, and I get purple to make 2 match 5's. Well between the tile match and crits plus the 8K Xavier just did the guy I was on is probably dead, the +4 extra AP obviously keeps this going, but between all the green I just scored and the fact that it's 2v3 I'm going to be sniper rifling soon
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

I'm there with you. I mean the damage difference from 4 blue to 5 blue is almost nothing, the big upgrade is +2 on the AP, but....how much is that going to be needed is my question?

Say I'm running him with GSBW, and I get purple to make 2 match 5's. Well between the tile match and crits plus the 8K Xavier just did the guy I was on is probably dead, the +4 extra AP obviously keeps this going, but between all the green I just scored and the fact that it's 2v3 I'm going to be sniper rifling soon
    Are you asking how good 4 free ap of your strongest color is? AP that you can use immediately, since you just crit?

Pretty good
  • I think their are a few viable build for this guy. I am leaning for 4/5/4 being the best overall build. I don't know that you are going to need the strike tile from 5 yellow as I think him boosting the attack tile is enough and I feel it is likely you will be pairing him with someone who generates special tiles. and the 5 in blue is only the extra 2 ap which is unreliable outside of the few people who can set up match 5's, namely GSBW.

On the other hand for the potential hop combo of GSBW and xavier it is possible 5/4/4 would be the way to go. for maximum speed you want his blue at 5 but you don't want to give up the potential for xavier to solo a team so you need yellow at 5.

I think 3/5/5 is also viable however if we are not going to be playing him thinking about making crits. This maximizes his purple and allows him to pretty much carry a team on his own.

I really need to see how fast the GSBW combo is before i make decisions about him. if you could make 3-4 hops in 4 min then i think going 5/4/4 might be the way to go for high level pvp. for everything else I am leaning towards 4/5/4
  • I've no idea why you guys are even considering 5 in purple. After you get purple out you're getting a boost with every match and he's invis. Blue and yellow have huge qualitative upgrades on their 5th covers.
  • ark123 wrote:
    I've no idea why you guys are even considering 5 in purple. After you get purple out you're getting a boost with every match and he's invis. Blue and yellow have huge qualitative upgrades on their 5th covers.

Depends on who you're using him with. The upgrade on purple is massive if you combine him with a special tile machine like Daken or Blade where he can take advantage of all four upgrades.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    I've no idea why you guys are even considering 5 in purple. After you get purple out you're getting a boost with every match and he's invis. Blue and yellow have huge qualitative upgrades on their 5th covers.

Depends on who you're using him with. The upgrade on purple is massive if you combine him with a special tile machine like Daken or Blade where he can take advantage of all four upgrades.
    I mean yes, but I fail to see how he would be better than falcon in that context. Falcon starts boosting tiles as soon as turn 2, and does so for free if you have a yellow user (which you do, since falcon and cage are basically stuck together). Are you guys trying to assemble a bad falcon?
  • ark123 wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

I mean yes, but I fail to see how he would be better than falcon in that context. Falcon starts boosting tiles as soon as turn 2, and does so for free if you have a yellow user (which you do, since falcon and cage are basically stuck together). Are you guys trying to assemble a bad falcon?

I think you underestimating the difference between 3 and 5 covers in purple. At 3 its 230 to your tiles per match. at lvl 5 its 956 to your tiles per match. so with some cascades that 56 attack tile becomes a 3000 attack tile pretty quickly. In the heroic with the loaner I was shocked at how quickly a mostorm black and his purple destroyed an enemy team.
  • ark123 wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

Falcon doesn't necessarily increase tiles as much, and you may want Professor X's other skills more than Falcon's other skills. Also, if you're just looking for a third character with an active purple, the Falcon/Luke Cage pairing doesn't make sense.
  • ark123 wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

I think you underestimating the difference between 3 and 5 covers in purple. At 3 its 230 to your tiles per match. at lvl 5 its 956 to your tiles per match. so with some cascades that 56 attack tile becomes a 3000 attack tile pretty quickly. In the heroic with the loaner I was shocked at how quickly a mostorm black and his purple destroyed an enemy team.
    All I have is 3 purple covers and I ain't that impressed.

There are very few abilities in the game that don't become awesome "with some cascades"
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ark123 wrote:

Are you serious?

All yellow 5 gives you is a tiny strike tile

blue gives you more with an extra +2 AP, but the damage upgrade is what? 298 dmg a whole 7.25% upgrade,

Yellow gives the least on cover 5 upgrade while blue and purple both increase a factor by 200%, either the number of tiles boosted or the amount of AP, but I can tell you how everything is going to go down.

Xavier/GSBW/(MQ,SL,IF)--You will get this insane combo in PvE that warps the game, D3 is going to come in and smack GSBW to what they did to MnMags and MQ, in fact GSBW is all that's left for placing colored tiles and I see her getting tweaked very very soon.

So once that combo gets smooshed, the only ways to get Xavier's blue to do crazy things is with IF, Thor, Cyclops etc, the random guys, and then it becomes very inconsistent, thus my reasoning for 4/5/4, I just can't go 3/5/5 because you really limit him in where he can go then I think 4/5/4 is the way to go, but I could see going 5/5/3 or 4/4/5

Here's how I see it.

Can I compenstate for not going 5 yellow?--yes, Daken, Blade,
    Can I compensate for not going 5 purple?--not really, Falcon is the only one that can do what Xavier is doing and I"m not running those 2 together
    Can I compensate for not going 5 blue?--no and yes and possbibly don't need to, reason is I would be big $ that GSBW is getting a change and at that point blue isn't worth the loss of a cover to purple or yellow, and without her, sure an extra +2 AP may save you a turn, but I could run Star Lord and cover that extra +2 AP
    I really need to see how fast the GSBW combo is before i make decisions about him. if you could make 3-4 hops in 4 min then i think going 5/4/4 might be the way to go for high level pvp. for everything else I am leaning towards 4/5/4

I thought this, but then realized what a massive target I would be, since anyone would que up that group, so while you could hop quick you are also getting probably a larger number of people that had you been running X-Force/4hor, may have skipped
  • If xavier ever makes it into any sort of combo team, obviously 5 blue will be a large part of it.

Yellow at 5 makes it so you're spitting out the strike, protection and attack tiles, which is really good in my opinion - this happens every single time you use any ability, unconditionally, starting from turn 1.

Purple just kinda sucks. You need 7 purple ap and a xavier match to even make the first boost. Falcon is a better booster for special tiles.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Prof X seems to be one of those rare powersets who's best build strongly depends on how you prefer to play. I like that.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For PvE, overpowered combos always win. With the upcoming 4hor nerf, you can't one-shot and stunlock as easily as before, which make AP loop combos like XFist matter much more.

Since Xavier can break the game with 5 blue if the right new character comes along, I'd think that it's worth the 5 blue. I like Falcon too, but Falcon teams always sucked against overscaled Ares/Juggs.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So, I'll admit that I abused cMags for a few weeks, but after a short while I got extremely bored with him. To the point that I couldn't even play him. For me, the "nerf" couldn't come soon enough, but I started playing him again immediately after the rework. I still enjoy playing the post-"nerf" cMags.

Do you guys consider that when you think about your builds? Because it sounds like people are talking like Prof X's blueflag.png is only useful with gsBW. Aren't you going to get bored with that?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Because it sounds like people are talking like Prof X's blueflag.png is only useful with gsBW. Aren't you going to get bored with that?
    I don't know if anyone is saying he's "only" useful with her, but it's clearly the best use of him at present, so why ignore that? But I would also want to use him with tile spammers, which is why I'd also put 5 in purple and ignore his yellow.