**** Professor X (Charles Xavier) ****

Options

Comments

• OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    "Mummudrai" from Morrison's New X-Men is one of the wackiest ideas ever. I love how it's just dropped in there straight-faced like it's a previously existing myth.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    great suggestions. Although I too am surprised at the non-inclusion of 2006's X-Men: Deadly Genesis... the source of the growing rift between Xavier and Cyclops, and an important catalyst for the past decade's worth of X-stories.

http://marvel.com/comics/collection/561 ... _paperback
  • SolidQ wrote:
    onimus wrote:
    Classic D3.
    They made 3* better than latest 3 of 3 4* characters. I don't understand devs icon_lol.gif
    Right?

I don't know how they make Iron Fist a 3 star, then release Starlord, Elektra and Xavier in their current states.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not sure people realize how OP the original yellow was. Pick any pairings that have cheap abilities.

Xavier+Psylocke+Rags/Jugg + double boost red/yellow and green/black
    Turn 1:
    -Fire green
    -Fire black
    -Fire Psy red
    =6192 initial damage, 594 in attack tiles, 324 in strike tiles

That downs a support and has over 900 damage per turn BEFORE you've moved your first tile.

(that didn't count the damage from the green ability and initial cascades, which could enable another move)

The new yellow with the above combo now yields:
    =2508 initial damage, 432 in attack tiles, 246 in strike tiles

The original yellow would have been really unfair on the cheap 5/6 AP abilities. Psylocke and Gamora would have become monsters. Daken blue would have become possibly the best move in 3* land, because it automatically replaces a strike tile.

I'm probably going 5/3/5 though still, because 5 in purple is not great if you only have protect tiles to buff. Level 3 purple is still close to maxed Falcon range (282 vs 230 per buff).

I'm dreaming of the mind-blowing combo of Xavier/Psylocke/Loki for cheap abilities, and Loki's Illusions to help hunt match 5's.

EDIT: I actually realized, because there'd already be 3 strike tiles, Rag's red makes more sense, adding another 1175 per combo.
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joaZxU5Hu0w - someone show video Prof X icon_e_smile.gif
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SolidQ wrote:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joaZxU5Hu0w - someone show video Prof X icon_e_smile.gif

"someone"
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    I'm not sure people realize how OP the original yellow was.
    Or some did, which is why they were initially psyched...
    scottee wrote:
    I'm probably going 5/3/5 though still, because 5 in purple is not great if you only have protect tiles to buff
    But spamming 3 tiles every time someone casts an ability, is probably going to tie up the board really badly for a board manipulator, which is still the best use of his ability set. You could argue that playing him as Falcon-on-steroids is more idiot-proof, since the AI will never play a board manipulator properly, but that assumes you'd ever leave him on defense in PvP, which seems like a really bad idea, regardless of his build. Also, his attack and strike tiles start out so weak, if you wanted to play him as Super Falcon, I think you'd be better off maxing his purple and buffing the **** out of daken and/or blade's strike tiles.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So despite the yellow damage getting nerfed icon_e_sad.gif I think there are still some fun things we can do with this guy, not necessarily viable in PvP, but fun nonetheless. While he doesn't do direct damage, yellow still creates attack tiles which will do damage at end of turn.

So where to begin. Well we have 2 ways to abuse him

Master Plan bluetile.png

and

Blind Spot Psychic Convergence

Purple and Yellow are somewhat intertwined but not necessarily however there will be 3 primary builds for Xavier
    5/3/5
    3/5/5
    5/5/3

Lets start with the very fun Master Plan. So what characters do we have that can easily create match 5's

Magneto (MN)
    Cyclops
    Iron Fist
    Mystique
    L.Thor
    Hulk
    Dr. Doom
    BWGS
    Beast (lol I know, his blue could end up being good)

So here goes, lets start with the simpliest abuse of Xavier's blue

Hulk/Patch/Xavier--This takes Hulk/Patch bombing to a new level. The angrier Hulk gets the more Damage he will be creating, the issue with this combo is that you would want Xavier underleveled so when you get Match 5's you will generate Green AP instead of blue. This essentially turbo charges an already strong combo, so tough PvE nodes, Hulk and Patch PvP's, as well as Shield Sim just got a little scarier.

Beast/Xavier/?--This would take the crappiness that is Beast and potentially make his blue not as terrible. You would activate Beast's blue, watch it collapse upon itself and hope for a match 5 blue, to get more blue to do it again. This is more of a joke and not very viable, but in theory it could work.

Cyclops/Xavier/She-Hulk--This again requires Xavier be underleveled and Cyclops in primary spot, but essentially you use Cyclops yellow, to get red, to hopefully match 5, to gain red AP to activate She-Hulk's red to hopefully create cascades to then get more red and do it again.

Dr.Doom/Xavier/Mystique--Mystique makes her first appearance here. This would esentially be a race to blue to use MQ's infiltrate to create hopefully match 5's of purple and black, to then get more blue from Xavier to hopefully loop Doom's skill again. Again on paper this works but probably not viable.

L.Thor/Xavier/Fury--In this one you could use any primary yellow user, as long as Xavier would be underlevled, but essentially you get enough yellow to use Thor, who will Thunder strike lots of green to hopefully match 5 which gives you more yellow to Thunder strike again essentially just creating loads of Green indefinetly.

L.Thor/Xavier/Cyclops--Similar to the one above, you just need Thor or Cy to be strongest color, then you can use either Thor's or Cy's yellow to generate hopefully a Match 5 cascade. The goal is to get enough red to constantly spam that you can keep using Mjolnir's Might to keep getting yellow to keep feeding it, this woudl have worked great with good old original 2* Thor, but I digress.

Iron Fist/Xavier/(Purple Strongest color and active black)--This combo is a little more convoluted, but you need to have someone that can use black so as to keep it under 12 AP for Iron Fist, but you also need someone whose strongest color is purple in order to get Xavier to make enough purple to hopefully get IF going again. Currently there are only 3 3*/4*'s that meet this requirement. Elektra/Loki/MQ. Loki won't work because you can't guarentee strike tiles to dump the black. Now of the 2 left I would go MQ just because you could Masterstroke until the sun came home, but in theory it would allow you to have Xavier strongest feed Infiltration, to get more purple to get IFoKL active again. Otherwise you could use Elketra, hopefully trigger 2 Match 5's the first time you activate IFoKL which then will start the fun, plus Elektra can outlet the black. This is very similar to winfinite except you can't guratee a match 5 with Iron Fist like you can with MN.Mags

Now the final one, also know as Winfinite actually has 2 options, one with Mags the other with BWGS, they are both so similiar the only difference is Magneto's Polarity Shift costs 9 AP if fully maxed vs. BWGS's 11 AP, however Mag's only changes 5 tiles where BWGS changes 6.

Anyway here we go.

Magneto/Mystique/Xavier or BWGS/Mystique/Xavier--Now with Mags it's simple, you get purple to create blue tiles to trigger your match 5, which is going to give you either blue or purple AP depending on if you max levled Xavier or if you have MQ as your strongest color. So MQ's Infiltration costs 9, you would get 9 Blue if Xavier highest, which lets you cast Infiltration hopefully to get enough purple to Polarity Shift again if needed or get enough match 5's you could just cast Infiltration again. Either way you rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. If you opt to have MQ as strongest character, you would keep need to get enough purple on the cascade to hopefully trigger Polarity again. (I'm not sure what's more consistent, constantly feeding Infiltration with blue AP from match 5's, or getting purple to fuel Mags Polarity shift).
    BWGS works the same way except it's more expensive and you are going to be creating green, not blue. The biggest difference in this once is that Xavier has to be highest to guarentee you can get the blue to use Infiiltration to get more purple to activate BWGS again. While not as consistent, you can potentially end games sooner with BWGS's Sniper Rifle. You could potential just run BWGS/Xavier and skip MQ, but then you have to have BWGS as strongest. The catch on this is that you need to get 3 Match 5's and or 2 Match 5's and hopefully you can clear purple in a line to get more off the cascade in order to use it again, this is where Mags/MQ are the better duo as they can more consistently keep this flowing.

So, did I miss something anyone else have ideas to make some of these work better? I'll discuss yellow later but wanted to see Master Plan abuses first.
  • He makes the three types of common special tiles then with a cheap ability he can start enchancing it by A LOT. Like, after one match after casting purple he has a defense tile compared to Luke and if you count them together (and you should as they interact with each other) an attack tile dealing as much as IF black passive.

Is it slower? Hell yeah, they have passives, they start at round two and just wont stop anymore. But they take two character slots and they cant be improved without a third character in there (like Falcon until now). Sure IF can cast his green to 'improve' the attack tile damage, but this is much slower than PX due to green AP cost and the black thereshold to make more strike tiles.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you want to see Master Plan abuse in action, watch my youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joaZxU5Hu0w
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    Moon 17 wrote:
    I think the greatest disappointment is that Professor X can turn himself invisible for half the price of Invisible Woman, and then while he's invisible he does extra stuff. I'm really hoping they vault her during the next season and bring her powers in line with the times.

Also, I'm hoping the Shapeshifter is Husk. 'Cause, you know, Women's month.

To be fair it would probably take him half as much concentration and effort than it would take Sue. also, she can turn anyone who's low on health invisible, no? but 100% agree, as does everyone I think, she needs some love asap. Would have been nice for woman's month.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Like I said in the other thread, I think GSBW-Xavier is the monster. For starters, it's the only 2-man character team listed (besides Beast, but c'mon). Yes, Xavier has to be under 222, but at 221 I estimate the damage is around 3875 (assuming it scales semi-linearly, as most do).

2 purple matches is 7750 (assuming 2 match-5s) + tile damage, which means the combo semi-immediately one-shots most characters. On a good board (3 match 5's) you can take out support and half of XForce in 2 moves, and at the same time be half way to sniper rifle. This also generates 8 purple, so now one more purple match and you're going again. Of course, the board may be devoid of green now so it probably only does one more match 5 for another 3875+tiles. That's at least 15 green, and assuming you pick up one more along the way, it's one green match from game over.

Ideally against the top team:

2 purple: Leaves 8k Thor, 10.6k XForce, Featured
    1 purple: Leaves 8k Thor, 6.6k XForce, Featured
    1 (0?) green: Leaves 3k Thor, 1.6K XForce, Featured -5k (assuming sniper does 5k aoe, i forget how many tiles sniper takes out)

This is of course where the removal of the yellow damage kills it, because launching the 3 powers for another ~3k damage finishes Thor in 4 turns, and rest is trivial with the strike and attack tiles on board.

There's also a chance, having matched purple away and cascading green, that the board is favorable enough to do match-5 cascade damage, where you nuke someone even more quickly.

It's not sustainable like winfinite, but it will (theoretically) kill any non-4Thor team in 4 turns on all but the worst boards.
  • SolidQ wrote:
    The way his head keeps popping onto the screen is kind of freaky. Feels like a cult brainwashing video.
  • Unknown
    Unknown ADMINISTRATORS
    Options
    Hey All,

Since Invisible Woman doesn't get a lot of screen time and since it looked like there was some confusion, I figured I'd jump in to give a refresher on how Invisibility works in MPQ.

Professor X makes an Invisibiltiy tile, and has the status effect of "Invisible" while it is on the board. This means that after making any match, he will immediately jump to the back of the team, leaving someone else in front.

While invisible, a character can't be targeted, meaning you can't choose to bring them to the front. However, they are still vulnerable to team damage attacks, which have no target. Conclusion: Team damage and Board shake are the way to deal with an invisible character.
  • How about Professor X/4Thor/MNMags?

MNMags creates the blue. Professor X pumps you full of Red for Smite after the first power surge. I'm not sure if this is abuse or just a really fast win after matching one purple, and having a decent enough board.
    If you manage to match one blue before your purple, on most boards you'd be able to power surge, polarity shift to collect more blues, power surge a second time, and super smite the 3rd enemy.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey All,

Since Invisible Woman doesn't get a lot of screen time and since it looked like there was some confusion, I figured I'd jump in to give a refresher on how Invisibility works in MPQ.

Professor X makes an Invisibiltiy tile, and has the status effect of "Invisible" while it is on the board. This means that after making any match, he will immediately jump to the back of the team, leaving someone else in front.

While invisible, a character can't be targeted, meaning you can't choose to bring them to the front. However, they are still vulnerable to team damage attacks, which have no target. Conclusion: Team damage and Board shake are the way to deal with an invisible character.

Can you comment anything on the obvius "winfinite" issue?
    And the new "overly protective" yellow ability? (The description says it improves all strengths ("coordinating their greatest strengths"), however it does this only at cover lvl 5 / pure protect tiles upto cover lvl 3)
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2015
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    I'm probably going 5/3/5 though still, because 5 in purple is not great if you only have protect tiles to buff. Level 3 purple is still close to maxed Falcon range (282 vs 230 per buff).

In regards to the other stuff, I'm fairly certain Pyslocke's red cost is only reduced by red strike tiles so the cost more than likely isn't getting changed. Planning things around all boosts doesn't seem that smart either as the only time I ever touch those is for late PvP pushes when I really want the rewards. Prof. X doesn't mesh well with the top tier 4*'s and isn't unfair/quick enough to unseat them so it seems moot.

3/5/5 and 5/5/3 seem like the only builds you would possibly want to go. If you have 5 in yellow you should expect to have protect/attack/strike tiles out. Why would you want to buff 2 for a total of 230 over 4 for 952 (if you cast only one ability before matching its still his initial 3 for 714)?

I haven't been keeping track that closely but in an average match I'd expect .5 - 1.5 match-5's per game. They do not happen frequently enough (outside of Magstique) to justify maxing out what seems like a really situational ability.

5/5/3 if you're exclusively using him with Magstique. More in yellow and you'll clog the board with special tiles which can't be targeted with Mag purple or Mystique blue. 3/5/5 if you're enhancing mid tier characters with cheap abilities.

Edit: blueflag.png would be a hell of a lot better if it did 50% of the damage and no AP gain on match 4's, full effect for match 5+. Would make 5/3/5 viable.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey All,

The main confusion was if they're the last person alive, are they hit or are they immune to all non team damage abilities. I am fairly certain that when my character was invisible I wasn't getting hit but its entirely possible that if the last enemy is invisible, the player is allowed to hit them with whatever.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    Hey All,

The main confusion was if they're the last person alive, are they hit or are they immune to all non team damage abilities. I am fairly certain that when my character was invisible I wasn't getting hit but its entirely possible that if the last enemy is invisible, the player is allowed to hit them with whatever.
    Were you checking her HP? Maybe a visual bug does not show the damage numbers because she should be 'invulnarable' but she could be having her HP reduced directly in the bar.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    notamutant wrote:
    If you want to see Master Plan abuse in action, watch my youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joaZxU5Hu0w

wow