• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    Yellow looks pretty good
    Come on, you can't be psyched for a maxed 5 cover 4* that generates a strength 50 attack tile. That's just awful. Yeah, you can spam them a bit, and buff them with purple, but it'll take a lot of doing just to get up to Blade power.

Sorry, this totally killed my enthusiasm for this character. The Yellow was going to lead to some interesting things. Now all we have is a character that breaks a broken combo more than it was already broken. It's not like you need him to do anything you can't already do. Yeah, he'll up the Magstique success rate by maybe 20%, but I'd want a 4* to be able to do more than that.

Purple is cheap enough that it should be trivial to get off and I doubt I'm bringing another purple user if I select him. With that up, the **** tiles should get buffed fairly quickly to dangerous levels. Have you ever used Daken / Blade / Falcon against level 300+ nodes? If the board isn't terrible you can easily do 2-6k damage a turn.

PvE wise he could be pretty good depending on who is locked out. Gamora/Punisher + Spidey + Prof X seems like it will be a solid team. Seems like he pairs well with HT and Psylocke too. There are times when bad boards eat my kits way faster than I'd like (esp. in the R&G PvE) and having someone who can elevate mid-tier characters to be viable against high level nodes is welcome.

The other benefit is that as long as his invisibility tile survives he can dominate last man standing situations. It sounds like he can't generate his own yellow procs off of purple (do team ups count?) but if he's the last one alive, every match is a turbo charged Inspiration. He's also immune to all non-aoe damage so matches where you get screwed you have a chance for a comeback.

PvP wise he'll probably never get usage but that's true of 95% of character releases. He suffers the 4* treatment of never being a featured PvP outside of his initial release.

It's been ages since I used IW but I think AE attacks cannot hit an invisible character. It's effectively godmode until the invisibility tile is destroyed.

Area of effect can hit invisible characters and if they are last man standing then basic matches also hit them. They go to hide but since no one is left they take the damage. I just fought an IW and she was last man standing with invisibility and I could hit her with basic matches and 4hor yellow
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Area of effect can hit invisible characters and if they are last man standing then basic matches also hit them. They go to hide but since no one is left they take the damage. I just fought an IW and she was last man standing with invisibility and I could hit her with basic matches and 4hor yellow

When I was controlling IW and she was the last woman standing she was immune to ability + match damage, this was about a month ago. I suppose I could load her up and try it again.

Level 140 Rag just destroyed my 270 IW so we'll have to wait a day to find out.
  • It's official, a character is much better at invisibility than invisible woman
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just tested IW against prologue Ragnarok and she was ignoring all damage as the last woman standing. Rags' matches didn't even display damage figures.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just ran the same test, out of curiosity. Same result.
  • Hmmm... Testing... Really? I hope, before they decided to nerf the yellow, they tested out a couple of boosted, maxed... WinfiniteX, and SL+Dino+profX versus XGod + hood/Loki. Just because the combo's a bit broken with Prof X don't mean nothing if it can't beat lady Thor. Just when I thought there might be something new and interesting for PvP!
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So let's see. Some people are saying the change made him useless. And some are saying he's broken OP.

Sounds like he's about right then.
  • rvs623 wrote:
    As much as I like Professor X, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't release a female character for "Women of Marvel" March.
    Yeah like good old Jean Grey as Phoenix for example.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    So let's see. Some people are saying the change made him useless. And some are saying he's broken OP.

He is broken and overnerfed at the same time. Yellow might be still powerful enough, but the changes ruined the fun out of the character, and while his previus version made a good combination with a wide range of teammates, now thats gone too...

My suggestions to change yellow:

Solution A
    lvl1,2 Creates protect tile
    lvl 3 Creates protect + attack tile
    lvl 4 Creates protect + attack + strike tile
    Creates attack + 2x strike tile + protect (or no protect at all)

Solution B
    Creates strike tiles first, then attack, then protect

Solution C
    lvl 1: Creates 1 random special tile
    lvl 2: Creates 2 random special tile
    lvl 3: Creates 2 random special tile - stronger
    lvl 4: Creates 3 random special tile
    lvl 5: Creates 3 random special tile - stronger

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:

I'm pretty sure not ONE person has said he's useless. The harshest comment you'll see here is that blue is all he's good for... and/or magstique is all he's good for, which leaves him short on relevance, since it's already pretty good without him.
  • They release information about a character that would be actually worth playing over Xthor.

Then they realize that it's actually good and nerf it to ****, so that no one will want to play it over Xthor.

Classic D3.
  • That new yellow ability.... what a piece of garbage.

He's a gimmick hero. No use in PvP, very good in gimmicky teams in PvE. Not much more to say really.....

When will we get a new 4* with an actual health pool aside from 4Thor? Or do we need our millionth support hero tier health hero first? Cause it really tempts me to play all those other low health 4*s already.....
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Isn't the Prof meant to be a nice guy? From the looks of this one i doubt anybody would want to send their children to his school. icon_e_wink.gif
  • I think the greatest disappointment is that Professor X can turn himself invisible for half the price of Invisible Woman, and then while he's invisible he does extra stuff. I'm really hoping they vault her during the next season and bring her powers in line with the times.

Also, I'm hoping the Shapeshifter is Husk. 'Cause, you know, Women's month.
  • It seems like they forgot he was supposed to be a 4* when they nerfed his yellow.

I can see why they wouldn't think his blue is overpowered -> it's not consistent except with MNMags, GSBW, Mystique and IF. Most other board shakes don't produce criticals, just cascades. I think in the hands of a skilled player it could be op, but I think that skill isn't in the average player.

If they think he was broken because of Magstique, it's interesting to see what they consider broken and what is acceptable.
  • Something like this happened in D3:
    - Hey, let's check what players think about "Unknown".
    - They are crazy, they discuss something about him together with 2*(!) and 3* chars...
    - Out of curiosity: let's check this.
    - WOW, it's so broken... Where were the testers? WAIT, WE ARE THE TESTERS!
    - Do some quick change with, not sure, maybe yellow? Make it weak, There is no time with proper balancing, not that we are good with it anyway icon_lol.gif
    - What do we tell our boss about last-minute tweak?
    - Something like: we tested all chars combination till the end and there was a need to do so icon_e_ugeek.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    raziel777 wrote:
    Something like this happened in D3:
    - Hey, let's check what players think about "Unknown".
    - They are crazy, they discuss something about him together with 2*(!) and 3* chars...
    - Out of curiosity: let's check this.
    - WOW, it's so broken... Where were the testers? WAIT, WE ARE THE TESTERS!
    - Do some quick change with, not sure, maybe yellow? Make it weak, There is no time with proper balancing, not that we are good with it anyway icon_lol.gif
    - What do we tell our boss about last-minute tweak?
    - Something like: we tested all chars combination till the end and there was a need to do so icon_e_ugeek.gif

First off, the data we got was old, and assuming they did the interview with Marvel.com a few days or weeks ago regarding Xavier, it's safe to say he had already been switched to defensive tiles. I think he's a cool character and I look forward to breaking him with interesting combos, he doesn't warp the meta and he's playable in the right team comp. Although I'm not sure he's the 3rd best 4* anymore, time will tell. I mean if you go 3/5/5, use his purple, then make a blue/purple/yelow match with him afterwards he is going to be negating all match damage, you are going to be taking 300 dmg per turn in both attack and strike tiles. I think the fact that you could get ridicoulsy high attack tiles from him is why the damage was taking away. Here's why IMO

MNMags/Mystique/Xavier (all maxed all are 3/5/5)

You get purple, Polarity Shift into Match 5
    2839 Dmg +2 blue + protect/attack/strike tile created
    Infiltration+2to4blue + more protect/attack/strike
    Infiltration again, use purple for xavier, every blue match with polarity shift is beefing up the tiles, you could easily get 3-5 blue matches before turn over, if even half of those tiles remain you are looking at attack/protect/and strike tiles that are sitting at 500-600 a piece and if 2 of those are attack tiles thats 1K per turn, not bad
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    Options
    onimus wrote:
    Classic D3.
    They made 3* better than latest 3 of 3 4* characters. I don't understand devs icon_lol.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I mean if you go 3/5/5, use his purple, then make a blue/purple/yelow match with him afterwards he is going to be negating all match damage, you are going to be taking 300 dmg per turn in both attack and strike tiles.
    ... which is pretty similar to what you can already get with Cage and IF without having to do anything at all, hence our lack of excitement...
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I mean if you go 3/5/5, use his purple, then make a blue/purple/yelow match with him afterwards he is going to be negating all match damage, you are going to be taking 300 dmg per turn in both attack and strike tiles.
    ... which is pretty similar to what you can already get with Cage and IF without having to do anything at all, hence our lack of excitement...

lol, true, but this one costs you 400K ISO icon_e_biggrin.gif