Options

Comments

• dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    Yellow looks pretty good
    Come on, you can't be psyched for a maxed 5 cover 4* that generates a strength 50 attack tile. That's just awful. Yeah, you can spam them a bit, and buff them with purple, but it'll take a lot of doing just to get up to Blade power.

Sorry, this totally killed my enthusiasm for this character. The Yellow was going to lead to some interesting things. Now all we have is a character that breaks a broken combo more than it was already broken. It's not like you need him to do anything you can't already do. Yeah, he'll up the Magstique success rate by maybe 20%, but I'd want a 4* to be able to do more than that.

Purple is cheap enough that it should be trivial to get off and I doubt I'm bringing another purple user if I select him. With that up, the **** tiles should get buffed fairly quickly to dangerous levels. Have you ever used Daken / Blade / Falcon against level 300+ nodes? If the board isn't terrible you can easily do 2-6k damage a turn.

PvE wise he could be pretty good depending on who is locked out. Gamora/Punisher + Spidey + Prof X seems like it will be a solid team. Seems like he pairs well with HT and Psylocke too. There are times when bad boards eat my kits way faster than I'd like (esp. in the R&G PvE) and having someone who can elevate mid-tier characters to be viable against high level nodes is welcome.

The other benefit is that as long as his invisibility tile survives he can dominate last man standing situations. It sounds like he can't generate his own yellow procs off of purple (do team ups count?) but if he's the last one alive, every match is a turbo charged Inspiration. He's also immune to all non-aoe damage so matches where you get screwed you have a chance for a comeback.

PvP wise he'll probably never get usage but that's true of 95% of character releases. He suffers the 4* treatment of never being a featured PvP outside of his initial release.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    Yellow looks pretty good
    Come on, you can't be psyched for a maxed 5 cover 4* that generates a strength 50 attack tile. That's just awful. Yeah, you can spam them a bit, and buff them with purple, but it'll take a lot of doing just to get up to Blade power.

Sorry, this totally killed my enthusiasm for this character. The Yellow was going to lead to some interesting things. Now all we have is a character that breaks a broken combo more than it was already broken. It's not like you need him to do anything you can't already do. Yeah, he'll up the Magstique success rate by maybe 20%, but I'd want a 4* to be able to do more than that.

Purple is cheap enough that it should be trivial to get off and I doubt I'm bringing another purple user if I select him. With that up, the **** tiles should get buffed fairly quickly to dangerous levels. Have you ever used Daken / Blade / Falcon against level 300+ nodes? If the board isn't terrible you can easily do 2-6k damage a turn.

PvE wise he could be pretty good depending on who is locked out. Gamora/Punisher + Spidey + Prof X seems like it will be a solid team. Seems like he pairs well with HT and Psylocke too. There are times when bad boards eat my kits way faster than I'd like (esp. in the R&G PvE) and having someone who can elevate mid-tier characters to be viable against high level nodes is welcome.

The other benefit is that as long as his invisibility tile survives he can dominate last man standing situations. It sounds like he can't generate his own yellow procs off of purple (do team ups count?) but if he's the last one alive, every match is a turbo charged Inspiration. He's also immune to all non-aoe damage so matches where you get screwed you have a chance for a comeback.

PvP wise he'll probably never get usage but that's true of 95% of character releases. He suffers the 4* treatment of never being a featured PvP outside of his initial release.

Unlike Falcon it's any match he makes, and while Falcon technically doesn't need to make the yellow match himself, it's still almost certainly far more likely that Professor X can trigger his condition more often.

It's been ages since I used IW but I think AE attacks cannot hit an invisible character. It's effectively godmode until the invisibility tile is destroyed.

I think the discussion for yellow/purple is moot though because his blue is immediately game breaking when combined with an ability like Illusions let alone Polarity Shift. It seems like his blue is designed assuming you'd somehow never pair him up with anybody that can manipulate the board, and that's just not how you'd use him. It's a very bad move for balance by design since characters that can manipulate the board in a significant degree are almost always overpowered, so you've overpowered moves that are most likely to trigger another overpowered passive. If it was possible to somehow reverse this, e.g. the weaker the move the more likely the blue gets triggered, that'd actually be a pretty good design, but I have no idea what you'd have to do get that working.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    Have you ever used Daken / Blade / Falcon against level 300+ nodes? If the board isn't terrible you can easily do 2-6k damage a turn.
    Used it on lesser to know that there's a real good chance they'll all be long dead before Blade ramps up that high.
    dkffiv wrote:
    PvE wise he could be pretty good depending on who is locked out.
    But if we're talking PvE, there's no reason not to use him with a board manipulator. Sure, he works well with the tile generators you mentioned, but not nearly as well as he would with a character that can spam match-5s.
    dkffiv wrote:
    The other benefit is that as long as his invisibility tile survives he can dominate last man standing situations.
    And with a board manipulator, you'd never get to a last man standing situation icon_e_smile.gif
    dkffiv wrote:
    PvP wise he'll probably never get usage but that's true of 95% of character releases.
    With his original yellow, I saw the potential for him to be a very unattractive PvP opponent. Absolutely not the case anymore.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Does his yellow activate on active and passive, or just active?
  • Scoregasms
    Scoregasms Posts: 373
    Options
    These late changes are certainly disappointing, as he stands now, he seems more on par with a 3* than a 4* (maybe Iron Fist should've been the 4* release, at least that would make more sense given their move sets).

Xavier's definitely an enabler, but doesn't seem to jive well with the other top 4* characters, you don't want X-Force destroying the board along with his special and invisibility tiles or potentially SS them away if they happen to be created on the other teams best color. 4hor doesn't really create criticals and when she finally gets her moves going, it's pretty much GG anyway.

At first I was thinking maybe 5/4/4, but meh, if he created a Strike Tile before the Attack tile, then maybe, but now, it's just 5/5/3 I think for me. He'll definitely help the 3* roster more (IF, Blade, LDaken, Psylocke, Punisher, etc) and of course pairs very well with the Magstique combo, but for a 4*, I'd wish he had more to bring to the party. Losing his damage on Yellow was what sort of legitimatized his 4* status a bit in my mind, but now, I'm having a hard time thinking about where to use him except when my A team is down or just to play around in non-Deadly nodes (outside of maybe using him with Magstique which I haven't used in a while). He has the potential to make some B and C teams more fun to play at least.

Meh, I'll still probably grind like a madman to get his covers, lol, but I'll probably hate myself the morning after.
  • After yellow change, there is need to rename powers:
    Winfinite - Passive bluetile.png
    Who cares - 7 purpletile.png AP
    you've gotta be crazy to max this - Passive yellowtile.png
  • simonsez
    Options
    MojoWild wrote:
    Does his yellow activate on active and passive, or just active?
    Only active, and not his own
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    Have you ever used Daken / Blade / Falcon against level 300+ nodes? If the board isn't terrible you can easily do 2-6k damage a turn.
    Used it on lesser to know that there's a real good chance they'll all be long dead before Blade ramps up that high.

It usually isn't that hard, the only time it doesn't ramp up is if there's no yellow or red on the board. I used that team quite a bit during Enemy of the State, especially on the survival nodes.

Unless you're putting 0 covers in yellow you're very likely to clog up the board with special tiles with Magstique. I don't think he's viable with GSBW, maybe he's okay with Doom. Even with GSBW or LThor you're probably only going to fire off his blue once and you'll end up gaining blue AP if everyone is maxed (which is also mostly useless with Doom).

Magstique is slow as balls and I only have to use it if I absolutely have to. I'm not sure how much Prof. X will actually speed it up. Currently I usually prefer to make multiple 4 matches with Mag's purple over what would have been a single 5 match. Mystique is random enough that maybe half or a third of the time a 5 match is generated from her blue. Its a question of a potential speed up (that would modify how I would normally use Mag's purple. Unless you have no covers in yellow, targeting Mag's purple will also become more difficult) vs. losing the safety net of Luke Cage's red when the initial board sucks (plus a good yellow AP dump).

PvP wise pre-nerf yellow wouldn't make a difference. Unless he's paired with like DP the opponent will almost never get an ability off anyway. Bringing IF along would generate more damage overall.
  • simonsez
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    Magstique is slow as balls and I only have to use it if I absolutely have to. I'm not sure how much Prof. X will actually speed it up
    4k-8k every time you use mag's purple will be pretty fast. But you're right, potential board clog and initial damage is a downside. Time will tell, but it seems like sacrificing some initial damage in order to decrease the chances of wiping, is probably a good tradeoff. But damn, it's sad that when a new 4* is about to be released, all I'm wondering about it how well it amplifies Magstique.
  • IceIX wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    So does Xavier's Yellow only work with active powers? Just thinking it would be deadly with Pheromone Rage.
    Passives do not trigger the Yellow, no.
    ecir2002 wrote:
    Are we able to petition to get the damage back on yellow?
    Exceedingly unlikely. After additional testing, we discovered interactions with his skills and other characters skills that spiralled Yellow out of control pretty quickly, especially with Strike tile interaction. So even if we put damage in as a small number, the interaction would still be there, only slower to get started.
    Since IceIX is responding, can I ask if there will be 4* Thor- and Electra- like lightning rounds with Prof. X?
    No plans at the moment, but that's always subject to change.

IS EVERYONE PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY SAID ABOVE!?!?!?!?

THEY ACTUALLY TEST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!! *faints*
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    So does Xavier's Yellow only work with active powers? Just thinking it would be deadly with Pheromone Rage.
    ecir2002 wrote:
    Exceedingly unlikely. After additional testing, we discovered interactions with his skills and other characters skills that spiralled Yellow out of control pretty quickly, especially with Strike tile interaction. So even if we put damage in as a small number, the interaction would still be there, only slower to get started.
    Since IceIX is responding, can I ask if there will be 4* Thor- and Electra- like lightning rounds with Prof. X?

... When it doesn't really matter. SL / Dino / Prof is a niche PvE team that isn't even as good as winfinite. I'm surprised that they cared so much about a combo involving three, relatively obscure 4*s that only mattered in PvE when they couldn't figure out that IF's purple might be completely broken in all formats. Pretty infuriating when you think about it: nerf a character once you figured out this obscure combo, but who cares about the guy who has extremely obvious combos and is clearly too powerful.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    I'm calling ****. Someone say the thread and went "Ah yeah, dino. That could be something, let me see" and tested it once.

If this had nothing but the blue power, I'd still want 5 covers, because it will be completely broken with winfinite.

Hell, I'm even keeping my mystique at lvl 100 and Xavier too to tone down my scaling.
  • As much as I like Professor X, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't release a female character for "Women of Marvel" March.

• ... When it doesn't really matter. SL / Dino / Prof is a niche PvE team that isn't even as good as winfinite. I'm surprised that they cared so much about a combo involving three, relatively obscure 4*s that only mattered in PvE when they couldn't figure out that IF's purple might be completely broken in all formats. Pretty infuriating when you think about it: nerf a character once you figured out this obscure combo, but who cares about the guy who has extremely obvious combos and is clearly too powerful.

I think it's pretty weird they had a problem with the yellow but not the blue. I mean when I saw the yellow it was like, "I think there's going to be something I haven't figured out that can abuse this", and blue is like, "This is immediately broken with anything that can shake up the board reliably". Forget infinite combos. Just having Loki as your highest match damage and you could have something pretty crazy with just Illusions. There any number of broken combos you can do with his blue that doesn't even require an infinite, because your opponent will run out of HP long before your combo fizzles out.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    ecir2002 wrote:

Bwahahaha thanks, your reaction brightened my day a little.
  • ark123 wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    I'm calling ****. Someone say the thread and went "Ah yeah, dino. That could be something, let me see" and tested it once.

If this had nothing but the blue power, I'd still want 5 covers, because it will be completely broken with winfinite.

Hell, I'm even keeping my mystique at lvl 100 and Xavier too to tone down my scaling.

Mystique and Magneto can both be removed from the game and Professor X's blue is still going to be broken. With the damage it does there's no need for even an infinite combo since the game is likely over by the third or so cycle of whatever you're planning.

And since Professor X gets extra low scaling on his ability damage due to being a 4*, I imagine you can just keep him at base level and it'd still only be at most twice as long which is certainly something you can put up with, especially if everything scaled back because you're using such low level characters.
  • I was reading the description of prof x in game and when I got to purple...just thinking through it...if he enters the enemies mind...being as powerful as he is, shouldn't he be doing something a little more than blocking their sensory inputs just to hide his cowardly self...maybe control them, give em amnesia, make them think they are dogs or babies, maybe make his team invisible...I don't know, I know it's a match 3 game and all but just seems kind of out of character? I can only imagine after the battle and wolverine finding out prof x was in the enemies mind...

Wolverine: wait what do you mean you were in their minds
    Prof x: oh yeah, blocked their senses so they couldn't find me...it was awesome
    Wolverine: why didn't you make me and old cyclops invisible...probably would have helped cyke from going to the hospital...and I know I heal but you do know I still feel pain right?
    Prof x: oh...well, I was...just...I'm in a wheelchair you see...
    Wolverine: why didn't you just mind control them or better yet just kill them
    Prof x: you see the sun was in my eyes...my wheelchair got stuck on this rock
    Wolverine: you tinykitty sob <snikt> let me introduce you to something I like to call surgical strike...you may call it OP...I just call it awesome...
  • simonsez
    Options
    SL / Dino / Prof is a niche PvE team that isn't even as good as winfinite. I'm surprised that they cared so much about a combo involving three, relatively obscure 4*s
    I have a strong suspicion it wasn't this. I think they tried him with Magstique (we already know one of the guys from the Q&A video uses it) and they found that the yellow damage after every blue\pink\black cast, on top of the blue damage, was getting crazy high, crazy fast.

Which will no doubt make you guys crazy to ponder that they tried him with Magstique and decided yellow was the problem.

And no, at this point I don't want to see his blue changed at all, because then he starts approaching Elektra levels of uselessness.
  • clay_peterson
    clay_peterson Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    So everyone on here going on about how the Prof. is now 'ruined' and 'garbage' and 'worthless' aren't going to bother competing for him, right?

...right?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just saw the covers in game and the damage is back on yellow and not protect tiles, so I have no idea what's going on

Edit:
    Lol, I reopen the game after posting this and it does another update and now it's protect tiles