**** Professor X (Charles Xavier) ****

Options

Comments

• Yeah, it may just be the wording, but the comments in the article give the impression they may have already nerfed Prof. X a bit. (-Which may be a good thing in the end).

Would be nice to have a little clarification before I decide how much sleep to give up during the next Hunt.
  • Spiritclaw wrote:
    One of the screens showed a max level of 270, so 4*. Now for the shapeshifter? Still hoping for Mr. Fantastic.

Thanks, I assumed he'd be 4*, but I didn't want to take anything for granted.

Funny that this is the month of 'Women of Marvel', and with all the choices of Telepaths (Rachel, Jean, Emma, The Cuckoos, Monet, etc) they go with the man, or is that, 'The Man'? icon_razz.gif

Calling it now, first 5*....Onslaught. icon_twisted.gif
  • Spiritclaw wrote:
    One of the screens showed a max level of 270, so 4*. Now for the shapeshifter? Still hoping for Mr. Fantastic.

I'll be surprised if we see anyone from the FF movie license (Mr. Fantastic, Thing, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Watcher, Annihilus, etc.) for the forseeable future. There appears to be a licensing freeze on them.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Updated OP with newer version of Yellow Passive as a result of some last minute balancing. Gone is the additional damage in favor of a Protect tile with each ability usage. Also flipped up the Attack/Strike tile order, the character gains the Attack tile first, then the Strike tile at Level 5.
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hmm. Max health of 6k? well, I guess that balances things out a bit given how vicious this powerset looks if you let it get going. On D though, he's going to get flattened pretty fast.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Updated OP with newer version of Yellow Passive as a result of some last minute balancing. Gone is the additional damage in favor of a Protect tile with each ability usage. Also flipped up the Attack/Strike tile order, the character gains the Attack tile first, then the Strike tile at Level 5.

Strike tiles for yellow cover level 4 would be better, since wider range of "best builds"...
  • He looks pretty good other than the fact that a lot of broken skills tend to create match 5 on the side so it's making the broken skills even more broken. It's pretty much a rich gets richer deal since even without taking infinite combos, skills like Surgical Strike, Iron Fist's purple, or Thunder Strike aren't exactly in need of help, but now they'll do their normal thing with a pretty good chance of getting 4000 more damage. On the other hand a weak skill like Psi-Katana is still weak. I'm not even sure how they're supposed to do this but the criteria on the blue should be more likely on a weak skill that doesn't shake up the board. Pretty much all significant board shaking skills are already overpowered and don't need more help and yet that's what is likely to trigger the blue.
  • IceIX wrote:

Given that you've got the link to the article up that reveals who this is, are you going to update the title anytime soon?
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hmm. Max health of 6k? well, I guess that balances things out a bit given how vicious this powerset looks if you let it get going. On D though, he's going to get flattened pretty fast.

Hmm, the OP says max health is 9.5k. Is that different from it somewhere else?

Anyways, while the yellow nerf is pretty significant, it's still not worth taking purple over it if you plan on using X for winfinite.

So it'll pretty much be:

Winfinite: 5/3/5
    Anything else: 3/5/5
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Spiritclaw wrote:

I'll be surprised if we see anyone from the FF movie license (Mr. Fantastic, Thing, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Watcher, Annihilus, etc.) for the forseeable future. There appears to be a licensing freeze on them.

As far as I understand it, the F4 rights are for film and film merchandising. Marvel can still use them for comics, books, toys, games etc.
  • IceIX
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

Given that you've got the link to the article up that reveals who this is, are you going to update the title anytime soon?
    Whoops! Simple oversight. Fixed in a jiffy.
  • IceIX wrote:

Can you clarify if it is 1 protect tile every ability use or does that stack. Example is at level 5 you get 1 protect tile, 1 attack tile, and 1 strike tile?
  • dearbluey wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Spiritclaw wrote:

As far as I understand it, the F4 rights are for film and film merchandising. Marvel can still use them for comics, books, toys, games etc.

Marvel can use them, but seems to have a freeze on it right now. The rumor is that Ike Perlmutter (Marvel CEO) is furious at Fox and doesn't want to do anything to even indirectly help the movie; the supporting evidence is that there really does seem to be a complete freeze on licensing, in that nothing has come out since about the middle of last year, nothing related to the FF was at Toyfair, the FF were the only prominent characters left of some of the Marvel 75th anniversary stuff, none of the characters are in contest of Champions, and Marvel cancelled the comic without real justification for doing so (its sales weren't great, but also not cancellation-level bad, and it's one of very few books that had never been really cancelled before).

Not enough evidence to say it's definitely the case, but lots of things that support the licensing freeze idea. If some stuff comes out at some point, I'll admit I"m wrong about this, but I'm expecting the freeze to continue for the next year or so.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

Ability descriptions are still generic, instead of characterized wording... Can you fix that too? Thnx
  • IceIX
    Options
    turul wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

Ability descriptions are still generic, instead of characterized wording... Can you fix that too? Thnx
    Yep, also fixed. Just did the edits in stages is all so that I didn't screw up formatting and the like.
  • IceIX
    Options
    ecir2002 wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

Can you clarify if it is 1 protect tile every ability use or does that stack. Example is at level 5 you get 1 protect tile, 1 attack tile, and 1 strike tile?
    Correct, at level 5 you get one of each at the strength indicated.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Trisul wrote:

Anyways, while the yellow nerf is pretty significant, it's still not worth taking purple over it if you plan on using X for winfinite.

So it'll pretty much be:

I disagree, I think 5/5/3 is pretty much the only build now for Winfinite, why would I want to create more tiles that could possibly block my winfiite combo because I can't overwrite a tile to create 5 in a row?

In fact I'm not even sure 5 yellow is worth it anymore, especially considering you have to get Prof X's purple to go off in order to pump up tiles that require skills. I think if you paired him with Daken, you would want Prof X to be 5/5/3, match purple then every blue, purple, yellow match beef's up Daken's tiles by 238
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Trisul wrote:

So it'll pretty much be:

yup, you're right, I was looking at the wrong part of the page for nick fury's level stats, which he seems to be sharing based on a starting health of 2590. That's a lot more reasonable.
  • Sadly, all of my excitement about Prof X is gone. I'm highly disappointed in the damage being removed from the yellow. That was the only thing that put him on the Xforce and 4hor level. Now he's just "balanced" like Fury is.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Trisul wrote:

So it'll pretty much be:

I disagree, I think 5/5/3 is pretty much the only build now for Winfinite, why would I want to create more tiles that could possibly block my winfiite combo because I can't overwrite a tile to create 5 in a row?

In fact I'm not even sure 5 yellow is worth it anymore, especially considering you have to get Prof X's purple to go off in order to pump up tiles that require skills. I think if you paired him with Daken, you would want Prof X to be 5/5/3, match purple then every blue, purple, yellow match beef's up Daken's tiles by 238

I really, really dislike purple - it seems like there are a ton of string attached to the ability. First off, note that any ability you use is going to make a defense tile that is relatively useless when boosted, so he only really works well with Blade / Daken. Secondly, it just seems really slow. First you match 2 grene for daken, and then 3 purple for Prof X, then you need to make sure theres a match on the board that he will match (doesn't work if Daken or whatever is boosted), so on and so forth. A lot of hoops to jump through when you could be doing something easier like surge smiting.

RE: winfinite. Great point! I actually think that 5/5/0 is optimal for winfinite then. Any amount of yellow is bad. I guess that means that only the whales will be able to exploit prof-finite =(