**** Professor X (Charles Xavier) ****

Options

Comments

• I'm going to have to say 3/5/5 for pairings without a board manipulator. The number of times you'll get match-5s without are low enough that the ability will do nothing in many matches. It's true it'll hand you the game if you get 3 crits in your first move, but that's just icing on the cake at that point. His blue is useless on defense, while his purple can add up fast, particularly with strike tiles getting an extra hit with attack tiles, and the ability being match reliant, which means it isn't unheard of to trigger the ability 2 or more times in a turn.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    I'm going to have to say 3/5/5 for pairings without a board manipulator. The number of times you'll get match-5s without are low enough that the ability will do nothing in many matches. It's true it'll hand you the game if you get 3 crits in your first move, but that's just icing on the cake at that point. His blue is useless on defense, while his purple can add up fast, particularly with strike tiles getting an extra hit with attack tiles, and the ability being match reliant, which means it isn't unheard of to trigger the ability 2 or more times in a turn.

This is more versatile, but gives up the winfinite pairing which is by far the most powerful thing you can do with him. Also he doesn't seem PvP playable, so defense isn't really relevant when considering his build.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    So does Xavier's Yellow only work with active powers? Just thinking it would be deadly with Pheromone Rage.
    Passives do not trigger the Yellow, no.
    ecir2002 wrote:
    Are we able to petition to get the damage back on yellow?
    Exceedingly unlikely. After additional testing, we discovered interactions with his skills and other characters skills that spiralled Yellow out of control pretty quickly, especially with Strike tile interaction. So even if we put damage in as a small number, the interaction would still be there, only slower to get started.
    Since IceIX is responding, can I ask if there will be 4* Thor- and Electra- like lightning rounds with Prof. X?
    No plans at the moment, but that's always subject to change.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eh, depending on when the yellow resolves it shouldn't get in the way of Winfinite much. It's not changing the tile to a particular color so it'll most likely just change a blue, purple, or black tile anyway, meaning Polarity Shift and Infiltration will match them away regularly.

It would resolve after the first casting of polarity shift but after the Cascades. Then when you cast infiltration The tiles will been changed colors once all the cascading is done his yellow will apply the special tiles. So while the first set of special tiles may have been destroyed in the ensuing cascade the next three will not be now attempting to cast another polarity shift again I could bepotential he blocked by three special tiles and given that there will be a limited amount of blue on the board this could be problematic for the constant combo
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    Yellow looks pretty good
    Come on, you can't be psyched for a maxed 5 cover 4* that generates a strength 50 attack tile. That's just awful. Yeah, you can spam them a bit, and buff them with purple, but it'll take a lot of doing just to get up to Blade power.

Sorry, this totally killed my enthusiasm for this character. The Yellow was going to lead to some interesting things. Now all we have is a character that breaks a broken combo more than it was already broken. It's not like you need him to do anything you can't already do. Yeah, he'll up the Magstique success rate by maybe 20%, but I'd want a 4* to be able to do more than that.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    I'm going to have to say 3/5/5 for pairings without a board manipulator.
    I don't see his other powers warranting using him without a board manipulator. I don't see him having a place in PvP now.
  • Demiurge_Anthony
    Demiurge_Anthony Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hey MPQers!

We are really liking these reading lists that Casey has been compiling for our new characters. So much, in fact, that we got him to do another for Professor X!

Professor X has a long lineage with the X-Men. Don't know where to start? Good news! Casey's got you covered in the latest reading list he has complied for you all!
    http://www.demiurgestudios.com/blog/to-me-my-x-men/
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Good point on yellow potentially clogging winfinite. Strange to think that people might toss Xavier yellow covers they win.
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

Sorry, this totally killed my enthusiasm for this character.
    Yeah me too. After nerf yellow he for me is mediocre character.
  • simonsez wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    Yellow looks pretty good
    Come on, you can't be psyched for a maxed 5 cover 4* that generates a strength 50 attack tile. That's just awful. Yeah, you can spam them a bit, and buff them with purple, but it'll take a lot of doing just to get up to Blade power.

Sorry, this totally killed my enthusiasm for this character. The Yellow was going to lead to some interesting things. Now all we have is a character that breaks a broken combo more than it was already broken. It's not like you need him to do anything you can't already do. Yeah, he'll up the Magstique success rate by maybe 20%, but I'd want a 4* to be able to do more than that.

This is my exact feeling now too. When I heard the rumor was Prof X I was ecstatic. Then I saw the moves and I was ready to grind for the covers. Now that they "fixed" the yellow I could not care less if I got him. We need some 4*'s that can compete with Xforce and 4hor. Or at least give us 4*'s that can give a variety of team make ups.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    So does Xavier's Yellow only work with active powers? Just thinking it would be deadly with Pheromone Rage.
    Passives do not trigger the Yellow, no.
    ecir2002 wrote:
    Are we able to petition to get the damage back on yellow?
    Exceedingly unlikely. After additional testing, we discovered interactions with his skills and other characters skills that spiralled Yellow out of control pretty quickly, especially with Strike tile interaction. So even if we put damage in as a small number, the interaction would still be there, only slower to get started.
    Since IceIX is responding, can I ask if there will be 4* Thor- and Electra- like lightning rounds with Prof. X?
    No plans at the moment, but that's always subject to change.

This protect-tile dominant version of yellow simply ruined the fun out of ProfX, even if damage needed to go...
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, if the added-damage effect is unworkable at least make strike or attack tiles the first effect and add protect later (or not at all). Protect tiles are simply not very good, and weak protect tiles that won't stop any appreciable damage unless they're buffed up by an active/passive where you have to get 7 purple AP and then make matches of a certain color while a single special tile hasn't been matched or destroyed yet is way too much work for a slow payoff.
  • SolidQ
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Better remove Strike Tile, but return damage. It's would be ok Dmg + Protect + Attack tiles. But now we have nothing. Support character with no dmg. Blue is limited ( need 5match ) icon_e_smile.gif
  • SolidQ wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Better remove Strike Tile, but return damage. It's would be ok Dmg + Protect + Attack tiles. But now we have nothing. Support character with no dmg. Blue is limited ( need 5match ) icon_e_smile.gif

Aka it's a 4* Falcon/Spider-Man. If they are worried about moves that spiral out of control quickly then they should fix Xforce and 4hor since they just showed that they won't make characters on their level.
  • Blue is definetely getting 5 covers. Think about maxed level blue, that will be ridiculous. Gsbw and mnMags might be playable now...
  • SolidQ
    Options
    ecir2002 wrote:

Aka it's a 4* Falcon/Spider-Man. If they are worried about moves that spiral out of control quickly then they should fix Xforce and 4hor since they just showed that they won't make characters on their level.
    and Falcon better especially in Survival mode. I think they will buff Prof x in .... 2017 icon_lol.gif
  • May I also recommend X-Men: Deadly Genesis 1-6, a HUGE turning point in the relationship between Prof X, Cyclops, and the X-Men
  • What does an ability that he has to jump to the front to activate have to do with invisibility or avoiding detection? icon_question.gificon_e_confused.gificon_question.gif
  • Yes, yellow is now underwhelming/underpowered, but in the end, I think that will cause less problems than the vastly overpowered original yellow. Original yellow would have been fun to play around with for a couple of days, but I'm glad they changed it. I think it would have had a disproportionately negative effect on the game. [/brownnosing]
  • I find it disturbing that IceIX's answers and playtesting all seem to be focused on the yellow, which looked like a problematic ability but is probably not super abusive (at least without Star-Lord) and there was virtually nothing to address how his blue ability is going to interact with anything that manipulates the board.