**** Professor X (Charles Xavier) ****

Options

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eh, depending on when the yellow resolves it shouldn't get in the way of Winfinite much. It's not changing the tile to a particular color so it'll most likely just change a blue, purple, or black tile anyway, meaning Polarity Shift and Infiltration will match them away regularly.
  • I'm wondering if his Yellow works with passive abilities, or only Active since it says "fire".
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2015
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Updated OP with newer version of Yellow Passive as a result of some last minute balancing. Gone is the additional damage in favor of a Protect tile with each ability usage. Also flipped up the Attack/Strike tile order, the character gains the Attack tile first, then the Strike tile at Level 5.
    Maybe these previews should go up a full week in advance. The pre-release playtesting that the forum does seems to be a good thing.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alexraven wrote:
    I'm wondering if his Yellow works with passive abilities, or only Active since it says "fire".

no, it doesn't, it was confirmed by IceIX earlier
    Maybe these previews should go up a full week in advance. The pre-release playtesting that the forum does seems to be a good thing.

I think they fixed what was not considered broken in this thread.....
  • GuntherBlobel
    Options
    turul wrote:

I think they fixed what was not considered broken in this thread.....
    Exactly... maybe these previews should go up a full week in advance.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eh, depending on when the yellow resolves it shouldn't get in the way of Winfinite much. It's not changing the tile to a particular color so it'll most likely just change a blue, purple, or black tile anyway, meaning Polarity Shift and Infiltration will match them away regularly.

Not to mention on any halfway decent board, Polarity Shift will do ~9k damage right out of the gate, so things aren't going to last long anyway.

I think that Professor-GSBW is going to be the true monster, if her purple is the highest color. That puts Prof's blue maxed to around 3875 (level 221), give or take a few.

Boost 6 purple, 2 purple matches could do as much 11.6k, but mostly 7750, which is enough to take out most things. Prof's Blue generates 8 more purple, and you're one purple match from repeating (maybe less if you get a line or two that grabs more purple). Could be lightning quick, especially with all of this feeding an eventual Sniper Rifle.

Would be blech on defense of course, but might be fast enough that you don't care.
  • CrookedKnight
    Options
    And even though it wouldn't be great on defense, the times when your AI team does get enough purple for Deceptive Tactics will likely get you a crit or two and there's worse ways to score a defensive win.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options

Not to mention on any halfway decent board, Polarity Shift will do ~9k damage right out of the gate, so things aren't going to last long anyway.

I think that Professor-GSBW is going to be the true monster, if her purple is the highest color. That puts Prof's blue maxed to around 3875 (level 221), give or take a few.

Boost 6 purple, 2 purple matches could do as much 11.6k, but mostly 7750, which is enough to take out most things. Prof's Blue generates 8 more purple, and you're one purple match from repeating (maybe less if you get a line or two that grabs more purple). Could be lightning quick, especially with all of this feeding an eventual Sniper Rifle.

Would be blech on defense of course, but might be fast enough that you don't care.
    Wouldn't work, Black Widow (Grey Suit) has Green as her highest color. You could pull that off with Elektra, Star-Lord, Mystique, etc tanking Purple as highest, but then you're talking a three person team which isn't viable for (most) Versus Tournies.
  • The oringinal yellow passive would have accelerated Magstique/winfinite (and probably too much so). The update yellow passive seems designed to slow it down (as pointed out by others, all the specialty tiles will just get in the way and offer little benefit to that tactic). It's probably a good thing as the original version may have seriously unbalanced the game. However, the change also results in Xavier being a much less dangerous, less desirable character. He went from "must-have" (like Xforce, 4thor) to "pretty helpful" support character (like a 4-star Falcon).

One suggestion to address Magstique/winfinite problems going forward: just limit the number of powers or active powers that can fire per turn. It could even be a high number, like 10, but just cutting off the number at a certain point will curtail things like Magstique/winfinite or the Hood/4thor problem from before.
  • CrookedKnight
    Options
    No, GSBW's best color is purple. At Level 110 her damage is 61 purpletile.png /54 greentile.png / 48 redtile.png .
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    No, GSBW's best color is purple. At Level 110 her damage is 61 purpletile.png /54 greentile.png / 48 redtile.png .
    dotdotdot Sorry. I forgot that she's one of the weird characters whose colors don't correspond to ability color banners.
  • GuntherBlobel
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    dotdotdot Sorry. I forgot that she's one of the weird characters whose colors don't correspond to ability color banners.
    Somewhere far, far away from the MPQ forum, Nonce Equitar 2 does a facepalm.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My Best Builds

5/5/0 - guaranteed ~1k (auxilary) offensive tile improving, cleaner board, protect tiles not exploitable to loki /cpt.marvel / doc.oc

5/5/3 - guaranteed ~1k protect tile improving super-defence version /slowpoke build/

5/3/5 - special tile spamming / i-wont-use-purple build.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Wouldn't work, Black Widow (Grey Suit) has Green as her highest color.
    No it's not. See, this is why Nonce wanted the color order mismatches to be fixed, so people wouldn't make mistakes like this...
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After the update, I'm changing my mind to 5/5/3. Yellow now looks like complete garbage, so it seems like an easy choice.
  • So does Xavier's Yellow only work with active powers? Just thinking it would be deadly with Pheromone Rage.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2015
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    After the update, I'm changing my mind to 5/5/3. Yellow now looks like complete garbage, so it seems like an easy choice.

Unless you're only using him with 5 match generators blue seems pretty **** (outside winfinity I still don't think 5 vs 3 covers is justified).

Yellow looks pretty good, besides like 4hor you aren't downing the entire team with a single ability so those extra tiles could be useful. Will make PvE fights against 300+ targets when Thor is locked out a lot easier. Hell, pair him with Daken and you'll be replacing strike tiles with strike/protect/attack tiles, plus they'll get buffed if you get his purple off. Getting off a quick ability or two and you'll have enough protect tiles to nullify their enhanced matched damage.

Edit: A level 94 5-cover Hawkeye Speedshot does 3788 damage, which is devastating at 2* level. This blue is basically the same thing except it fires off instantly and generates 2 or 4 AP. Don't really see how its that impressive.
  • I'm gonna start using him with mags mystique as soon as I get 2 blue covers.
  • Are we able to petition to get the damage back on yellow?
  • GuntherBlobel
    Options
    Since IceIX is responding, can I ask if there will be 4* Thor- and Electra- like lightning rounds with Prof. X?
    I really, really like those, especially since it'll be like a year of earning covers before I can play those high-covered character builds, otherwise.