Thick as Thieves

Options

Comments

• Il Palazzo wrote:
    Urk... top 3 with 1 minute left, 100 points from the second, ofc those 230 maggias took a few seconds more than that. Not bad, but I really wanted the X barrage guy icon_e_confused.gif
    Was this you? This was taken about a minute before the bracket ended.
    UwwLZyT.png
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Pulled within 15 points of first at one point... But never sniffed it after that. The rubberband did indeed shoot lots of people above me, someone named Wolfman came from nowhere to win my bracket with 56,500.
    Frustrating because when I was at 54,000 no sign of that one.

Oh well. Ended up in 5th or 6th with 55,300: a fourth straight #1 finish for too many Patch covers. Was looking forward to getting my first Xforce though.

It's completely my fault for beginning the push to the end too soon, but I mistimed my sub bracket and needed to finish that. 3x Patch > 1 Xforce.
  • Woohoo! Scored top two!! My first big win in PVE, boy how exciting. I love those tense finishes, man nothing like it.
  • Ran out of iso with a couple of minutes left, but managed to just scrape top 10 though and got all the dare devil covers which was my goal icon_e_smile.gif
  • So what did I place? I know I was top 2, but I didn't have time to look at my placement because I was paranoid I'd get passed up in the time it took to do it. I actually screwed up my final mission and had to abort.

Down in the stretch run I had to gamble with Berserker Rage a lot without any assurance that I had the board controlled, but there was no time to establish board control with the frantic action at the end. In retrospect, it'd have helped a lot if I got all my missions refreshed 2 hours before the end since I still had most of the missions in my sub bracket left to do when time ran out.

For the rubberbanding, just do in the order of hardest to easiest when not pressured for time (assuming you can beat them all). When time/health pack is against you, go from easiest to hardest (because at this point you're probably just facerolling and can't take risks). All my matches toward the end I was pretty much just matching green and if there's no green I randomly clicked on something and hope it worked.

In this tournament, one thing I noticed early on is that the rubberbanding for the sub bracket is NOT the dependent on your main bracket placement. I didn't enter a sub-bracket at all so I still had about 1K worth points from the sub brackets when the main bracket dried up. This means if you did not do anything in a sub bracket you had about another 1K points in the tank versus someone who has been doing it, who would have at about 350 points (you get about 350 points per cycle X 3, rubberband will take you to about 1K for starting later).

Tanking turned out to be useless because there's no time to die. I skipped the 230X3 because it's too risky to faceroll and I didn't have time to do anything else besides that, so I just did all the Goon missions in my sub bracket.
  • Gotchaye wrote:
    I really doubt rampant cheating is to blame. Patch has a huge buff at lower levels such that even at level 15 he's quite strong, and the Patch the game gives you on many missions can do them by himself, provided the enemies are low enough level. Retreat-tanking worked throughout the entire event, but barring that it seems to be the case that the responsiveness of enemy levels to wins and losses both was reduced halfway through, which means that late starters who didn't really grind missions out until today might never have had a seriously difficult fight to deal with. The rubber-banding was extreme enough that one mission (The Who) could basically jump you from 10x rubber-banding to none at all. I suspect that you could have gotten a top 10 finish while entering the tournament early this morning.

the highest i earned for the Who mission was 2000pts. did anyone get more than this?
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Managed to get my last fight done and came back to see <1 minute left, unless something crazy happened I should be #3 overall.

I must say that 230 Magneto / 230 Hood fight got me frustrated, almost threw my tablet at the wall, not being able to use my own Magneto made it even more difficult, I did manage to get one win on them using Hulk / Invisible Woman, thank goodness for that 546 strength protect tile, Magneto's red doesn't target special tiles and Hood never used his yellow on it icon_lol.gif
  • Was 9th when I was doing my last fight, which I did not get the points for. Ended up in top 50... so taunting...

Now that missing blue daredevil cover will be a huge pain to get
  • jozier wrote:
    Ugh. I should have gone for an extra refresh today. Or started my push earlier. I was never able to climb into the top 2. Oh well. I didn't need X-Force green that badly since he sucks anyway.

Update! We heard your wants and here he is.....the new xforce wolvie! Yellow, same as before but it does EEXXTRAAAA HEAAALLLLIIIIING. Yellow is the same but now it costs 12 ap! And the green does 5000 damage, creates 7x7 200 dmg strike tiles, and costs 12 ap. Also, we decided to stop.giving out green covers since you all want.yellow now!

Only thing is I am glad the ppl who got top 2 were me and qiwi (barring a 2200+ pt win in the last 20 seconds). Burnt like 5k on boosts in these last 2 hrs.

I really think the update messed this event up even further. It also made me wonder if I wanted to make patches 4/4/5 or 5/3/5. Have him at 4/3/5 right now with *cough* 13 covers in the cache.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    My bracket finished at north of 60k, Apparently that is also a rarity. sigh me icon_e_sad.gif

Time for casual mode, grinding gets you nowhere.
  • Phantron wrote:
    So what did I place? I know I was top 2, but I didn't have time to look at my placement because I was paranoid I'd get passed up in the time it took to do it. I actually screwed up my final mission and had to abort.
    Yeah I was wondering this too. They should keep the leaderboard up a little while after it ends.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gobstopper wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    Wow, my main just exploded.
    Looks like I'm going to be able to hold on to about #15.
    Damn, when you posted about an hour ago about your refresh I thought you'd be able to make top10 for sure.

Not sure how I did, was #2 going into the final minute and I didn't finish my last battle in time.

Yeah, my missions all refreshed for only about 200 points. I cleared all but 2 and still had ~1000 point gap to #10.
    I think screwed my 2nd and 3rd days, and it finally caught up to me. I'm super excited to get 2 Daredevil covers, might as well focus on the silver linings rather than the disappointment.

I feel as though I've been punching above my weight in both the Ares Hunt and Rage 'n' Ruin tournaments to come out with a number of covers (4/2/5 Ares and 2/2/1 Patch from each). This helped pad out Patch to 3/5/3 and I lucked out with a Patchwork token reward to finish off my OBW. I'm just going to slow down my pace a bit to round out my new team - whatever that may be. Gotta remember MPQ is a marathon, not a sprint.

You were #2 when I got booted out of the event menu. Hope your perseverance paid off.
  • wathombe wrote:
    Top 10. I'm pretty happy with that. I spent a lot of time at 1-2 over the past few days, but I knew timing wasn't going to work out to let all my stacks recover in time to do all 12 missions before the end. The sprint started in my main about 45 minutes ago, and I slowly sank from 1st to 8th. Got all 3 DD covers, though!

So I had zero time to follow the thread over the last two days. What is the complaint about 1* rosters? Can someone encapsulate for me? And is it documented?

I don't think the issue is cheating. The issue is the way this event was coded, players with fewer covers in their roster at lower levels (plus perhaps some tanking) have a much easier time keeping low level opponents, and therefore they can do missions much more easily and quickly. That lets them stay top 10 over players whose enemies seem to rise instantaneously to 230s and stay there no matter what (like me). Despite killing off my whole 28 card roster (minus the 3 I used) 3 times, I couldn't drop them below 230.

So players with weak and few covers are all over the top 10s.
  • I finished in Top 10. Not bad but I thought I could secure Top 2 since I was in Top 2 every night at this time. Oh we'll, the folks in my bracket must have timed their missions better than me because they were able to nab around 3,000 pointsin the last half hour. I was stuck with missions worth 200-300 and they took 5-8 minutes. That was a lot of grinding but daredevil looks like the most fun powers ever. I am really looking forward to testing him out!
  • Yippee, finished first. The Who mission refreshed in the last 10 mins for me icon_cool.gif
  • L45TN7 wrote:
    Gotchaye wrote:
    I really doubt rampant cheating is to blame. Patch has a huge buff at lower levels such that even at level 15 he's quite strong, and the Patch the game gives you on many missions can do them by himself, provided the enemies are low enough level. Retreat-tanking worked throughout the entire event, but barring that it seems to be the case that the responsiveness of enemy levels to wins and losses both was reduced halfway through, which means that late starters who didn't really grind missions out until today might never have had a seriously difficult fight to deal with. The rubber-banding was extreme enough that one mission (The Who) could basically jump you from 10x rubber-banding to none at all. I suspect that you could have gotten a top 10 finish while entering the tournament early this morning.

the highest i earned for the Who mission was 2000pts. did anyone get more than this?

No, that was the max, but the range in which the rubber-banding factor was variable was only a little more than 2000 points, at least for me. At max rubber-banding it was possible to make 16,650 points in a refresh of the main missions. So I guess playing today only wouldn't quite have gotten someone there, but it would have come very close.
  • AdamMagus wrote:
    Managed to get my last fight done and came back to see <1 minute left, unless something crazy happened I should be #3 overall.

I must say that 230 Magneto / 230 Hood fight got me frustrated, almost threw my tablet at the wall, not being able to use my own Magneto made it even more difficult, I did manage to get one win on them using Hulk / Invisible Woman, thank goodness for that 546 strength protect tile, Magneto's red doesn't target special tiles and Hood never used his yellow on it icon_lol.gif

I made sure to do that one early when the lvls were lowerish since I couldn't use mag and I don't have a good replacement for him right now.
  • Fangel wrote:
    Sub events were really important here as the points given did not fluctuate based on your position in the main event. Just had to save the 800 point missions for the end.

Also, whoever pushes first in the final 8 hours usually gets ****.

Yes, but time also matters. What you need to do is get rid of the most expensive 10X modifier mission as soon as possible. For example if The Who is worth 2K point with less than 8 hours to go, do it immediately. It's never going to be worth more than that and it's presumably the hardest (not necessarily true in this case). From my estimation, if you're exactly at the edge of the 10X modifier, it'd take about 10 missions for you to catch up assuming the bracket leader is doing nothing, and the missions themselves take nontrivial time. I worked backwards from The Who and used them up as soon as they hit their max modifier, and start doing a few at around the 5X range too to make sure I don't have too much of a hill to climb at the end.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I completed " the who" twice in last 5 mins which gave me 1st place with 1k lead
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Top 2 in main, and top 6 in last sub bracket icon_e_smile.gif

It does seem like xforce green is the most common one given out in tourneys. Hopefully he gets balanced in a week, before my cover expires lol. (3/2/1 for me).
    I do want to guess green and yellow will be the best once he gets buffed. Just a random hunch.