Funbalanced

Comments

• Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Yeah, it's interesting. As much as people complain about Bagman covers, he is one of the very few characters that I don't have full covers for, and I definitely keep all of my covers. (The others are IW, Xforce, Patch, Hulk, Hood, Marvel NOW Magneto)
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    To have any chance at measuring skills, you can't have way overpowered characters (because everyone can use them), and boosts need to be somehow toned down since there's just nothing fair about starting a fight with 6 AP in 4 colors. As long as these two factors are in, the only thing that matters is speed and whether you can afford shields.
    You keep saying that, but that's the entire point of boosts. You're not intended to actually lose the matches, just be worn down

Are you trying to say it's intended that we start every match with 6 AP in 4 colors because we're not supposed to lose them?
    I'm saying the boosts are there to be used, and if you don't want to use them, you don't have to, but demanding that they be removed is silly
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nemek wrote:
    Yeah, it's interesting. As much as people complain about Bagman covers, he is one of the very few characters that I don't have full covers for, and I definitely keep all of my covers. (The others are IW, Xforce, Patch, Hulk, Hood, Marvel NOW Magneto)

Early in the game, most 2* buys would be Bagman. Mercifully, they've made him much rarer.
  • Nemek wrote:

Early in the game, most 2* buys would be Bagman. Mercifully, they've made him much rarer.

I believe I had his abilities maxed, before they adjusted the levels and cover requirements
  • WilliamK99 wrote:
    I am going to start whining about every character so everyone gets nerfed... I don't care either way but the more they attempt to "balance" the game, the worse it seems to be getting...

Guessing you got thorwolvie
  • Common wrote:
    WilliamK99 wrote:
    I am going to start whining about every character so everyone gets nerfed... I don't care either way but the more they attempt to "balance" the game, the worse it seems to be getting...

Guessing you got thorwolvie

OMG! I didn't know you really existed. 16 Posts! Hi Common!
  • I should have probably posted a thing or two on this topic since I'm the OP and all, but classes ate into my schedule this week and Hearthstone just went into open beta... so there's that.

I feel like this can totally hurt the low/mid players very much if they balanced Thor/Wolverine like they balanced Ragnarok. Barring C. Storm and a few other characters, those two characters are the ones that players will level up first and depend on. This change has the potential to only cure the disease than attacking the cure. Be prepared to see a lot more Original Black Widow as well as Ares for the mid-tier in the near future. Now. to level up my Punisher and IM40...
  • Oversoul wrote:
    I should have probably posted a thing or two on this topic since I'm the OP and all, but classes ate into my schedule this week and Hearthstone just went into open beta... so there's that.

I feel like this can totally hurt the low/mid players very much if they balanced Thor/Wolverine like they balanced Ragnarok. Barring C. Storm and a few other characters, those two characters are the ones that players will level up first and depend on. This change has the potential to only cure the disease than attacking the cure. Be prepared to see a lot more Original Black Widow as well as Ares for the mid-tier in the near future. Now. to level up my Punisher and IM40...

You sound like the 3 star characters are really that powerful barring the two obvious outliers (Magneto and Spiderman). About the only thing intimidating with most 3 stars is their HPs (IM40, Hulk). Not including anyone who is likely to be nerfed, I think the most worrisome 3 star character is The Hood, who has less HP than Ares and doesn't even do that much damage (but his blue passive sure is nasty).
  • Nemek wrote:

But you are better that way -- he's so broken that gets worse and worse as you add covers. What should never be the case in a good design. I currently have a blus bagman cover in limbo, and not applying it despire he's only at 2. As it mandatorily bumps the cost. And I can't access the level2 utility. Why it is not like

7AP: web one tile, and up to 2 more. Each additional needs 2 AP

(supposing the AP hike is actually needed)

For similar reasons I don't apply the last purple cover on Venom -- the 4th level is way better. At max level it should allow both ways of use.
  • Phantron wrote:
    You sound like the 3 star characters are really that powerful barring the two obvious outliers (Magneto and Spiderman). About the only thing intimidating with most 3 stars is their HPs (IM40, Hulk). Not including anyone who is likely to be nerfed, I think the most worrisome 3 star character is The Hood, who has less HP than Ares and doesn't even do that much damage (but his blue passive sure is nasty).

Originally I thought the *** pack will rule having way more tile damage at the elevated cap. But looking at the tables turns out it's not so. Rendering them quite bad really and in unfair way. It takes a ton of effort to have a maxed ***, so it should be so much more powerful with abilities stripped.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    pasa_ wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Originally I thought the *** pack will rule having way more tile damage at the elevated cap. But looking at the tables turns out it's not so. Rendering them quite bad really and in unfair way. It takes a ton of effort to have a maxed ***, so it should be so much more powerful with abilities stripped.
    I think that's a bigger problem with 4* ranking. They only have like, what, 5 points above a 3 star? So their base damage is actually lower at sane ammounts of iso investment
  • I think they currently have those curves about right, apart from the pending rebalance changes, even if I can understand people being frustrated that they don't have an unassailable advantage with maxed 3 or even 4*s. A 3* squishy gets 2* tank hit points and a mild advantage in match damage when maxed. A maxed 2* team can beat up a 3* one without worrying too much, but it's a bit of an uphill battle. If you make those match-ups feel like the 240 fights in PvE events, no one using a 2* team and unwilling to outright buy a 3* one will keep playing. Although I do sometimes forget you need only a top 45 placement to start collecting 3*s. That doesn't seem to have been a big ask to date. The game could also do more to communicate how the level curve (or much of anything else) works - I think people get disappointed when their shiny 3* is junk at 85, but it's only half-leveled! It's not supposed to be much use yet.

I do wonder if people will start complaining once Bag Lady's TWO "can't die" skills start showing up more in real play, but that'll probably be offset by squishiness and the AI never using them right, anyway. Much like The Hood dying so easily - he has to, or he'd be untouchable.
  • Veracity wrote:
    I think they currently have those curves about right, apart from the pending rebalance changes, even if I can understand people being frustrated that they don't have an unassailable advantage with maxed 3 or even 4*s. A 3* squishy gets 2* tank hit points and a mild advantage in match damage when maxed. A maxed 2* team can beat up a 3* one without worrying too much, but it's a bit of an uphill battle. If you make those match-ups feel like the 240 fights in PvE events, no one using a 2* team and unwilling to outright buy a 3* one will keep playing. Although I do sometimes forget you need only a top 45 placement to start collecting 3*s. That doesn't seem to have been a big ask to date. The game could also do more to communicate how the level curve (or much of anything else) works - I think people get disappointed when their shiny 3* is junk at 85, but it's only half-leveled! It's not supposed to be much use yet.

I do wonder if people will start complaining once Bag Lady's TWO "can't die" skills start showing up more in real play, but that'll probably be offset by squishiness and the AI never using them right, anyway. Much like The Hood dying so easily - he has to, or he'd be untouchable.

How do you kill the hood easily? I am having trouble even gather up ap on a bad start.
    I think he's my nightmare.
  • The hood is about the weakest 3* villain in PvP due to low health + low damage. With boosts you can pretty much just ignore him as he never gets enough yellow to use twin pistols (and it ends turn until level 5!) and the black skill does minimal damage (324 at level 52 for 9 black). When it's the hood round you have a hood too, so AP drain isn't an issue.
  • I don't understand the funbalance thing... especially on nerfing 3 stars so that everybody can have a good time.

For example - anyone with a maxed out Spidey or Ragnarok must have spent some money (or made playing MPQ a full time job) . Nothing wrong with that - they deserve to have a character that kicks more **** than a casual gamer who cries for mommy when his Lvl 85 Thor can't compete.

Also - what exactly does star rating system mean ? 3 star should be better than 2 star right? That's the hold point of having to strive for. So why is Rags weaker than Thor? Will Spidey going to be nerfed so that an Ares wannabee can have "fun" and "balanced" game?

Maybe if the developers didn't give away Rags like candy during the lightning rounds - he wouldn't be nerf. 3 stars should really mean rare

Just my 2.5 cents
  • bughunt wrote:
    The hood is about the weakest 3* villain in PvP due to low health + low damage. With boosts you can pretty much just ignore him as he never gets enough yellow to use twin pistols (and it ends turn until level 5!) and the black skill does minimal damage (324 at level 52 for 9 black). When it's the hood round you have a hood too, so AP drain isn't an issue.

Discounting his best ability just because you can have him too is foolish. Regarding lightning Rounds, sure you'll have him too. Possibly at many fewer covers and lower level.

A maxed blue Hood is rough to play against. Gotta kill them off quickly to preserve your AP.
  • Hood has been buffed and will continue to get buffed. The nerf of Thunderclap and the future nerf of low cost quick offense moves make his AP denial more effective. I have considered adopting him, as even Rags-era I found him enjoyable, however he's not a current priority.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Hood has been buffed and will continue to get buffed. The nerf of Thunderclap and the future nerf of low cost quick offense moves make his AP denial more effective. I have considered adopting him, as even Rags-era I found him enjoyable, however he's not a current priority.

Same here. He's just a fun character I haven't gotten around to fully leveling up.
  • Funbalance to see more combinations? All I see is combos of iron Man, Storm and Black Widow. I don't get this funbalance
  • The Hood is a nasty character to face, but he has less HP than a 2 * tank (Thor, Ares) so he has to be easier to kill even with his AP stealing ability. The Hood is a pretty good example of a well balanced 3 star character. Dangerous, but not overpowering. In fact I'd say most 3 star characters are actually quite well balanced and it's Thor/Wolverine that are exceptionally strong that throws off this balance.