Divine Champions

Options

Comments

• Ben Grimm wrote:
    One thing this tournament is doing is making me start to really, really look forward to the Thor nerf. I'm tired of fighting him. I want some variety.
    This. Very much this. Almost every team in both Divine Champions and Lightning Rounds has a Thor. It's kinda boring.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Veracity wrote:
    I've been loving it, at the risk of seeming contrary. Thor's Last Hurrah: Monstrous spikes and target-all skills for everybody! They totally should've paired it with a health pack discount, they'd be raking it in.

I am also loving this tourney. I'm having fun playing with these boosted characters (I'm very much appreciating C. Storm's boosted Wind Storm) and I'm finding the occasional strangeness kind of amusing. For instance, I started yesterday and took a break just after reaching 300 which left me about 8th. Logged in later that night and somehow was in 1st. Also got to see a Raging Tempest volley that kept going back and forth and back and forth and only stopped when it downed my low-level Loki.
  • Looks like I've hit an MMR max icon_e_confused.gif I skip and the same team appears lol. 6 bubbles, and I've read that 6 is the minimum opponents. Blah.
  • Screwed up my MMR by getting Top 5 on the two tourneys for Patch Wolverine and all I see are lvl 85 Thors/Wolverines everywhere...**** that, gladly tanking this tourney LoL
  • Boom!! 2400 points. Got a 1/3/5 IW now.

I have a 1700 point lead on 2nd, so debating not shielding...
  • jozier wrote:
    Boom!! 2400 points. Got a 1/3/5 IW now.

I would risk not shielding. Relatively few people can touch you if you have a high level team as well as a high score. You can wake up early if you're unsure.
  • 12hrs to go and im 200 pts behind 1st place but all my opponents are now giving me 0pts exactly the same as round 2 of rage and ruin.

Screenshot_2014-01-22-15-57-40_zpsuljo1tub.png

the whole of this divine champions i havent bothered to shield and i havent noticed any point loss so its looks like no one is attacking me at all icon_rolleyes.gif

it stopped being fun so i went to the Shield versus and climbed up to #1 from the bottom.

Screenshot_2014-01-22-15-57-53_zps2ccv5ndl.png
  • Why should people be surprised at seeing level 85 Thors if your team is at all respectable? Do people really think getting a level 85 Thor is supposed to be some kind of accomplishment? Sure, Thor owns faces in this tournament, but he's not exactly a rare character to get.

This tournament is probably too even because all the strongest characters for the tourament to get are fairly easy to obtain.
  • Oversoul wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    Boom!! 2400 points. Got a 1/3/5 IW now.

I would risk not shielding. Relatively few people can touch you if you have a high level team as well as a high score. You can wake up early if you're unsure.

Yeah I haven't shielded yet. I think the game is broken if you can lose 1700 points overnight - that would be completely ridiculous. My defence team is 85 Thor/85 Ares/95 Spidey.

Debating whether to throw a 72 C Storm or a 73 Hulk (or even 85 Wolvie or OBW) in there just to scare people off, because I've been getting hammered the last little bit (to the tune of about 400 points so far).
  • What is the motivation for PVP? I shield myself at #1 to take a break and no one attacks me. 2 hrs later, I unshield and come out of a match losing 151. I'm ALWAYS worth 30+ points and I can't find anyone over 18 tonight. This would be mind boggling, but it's the same frustration over and over. I just had to vent. Disregard if you must.
  • Koolbiird wrote:
    What is the motivation for PVP? I shield myself at #1 to take a break and no one attacks me. 2 hrs later, I unshield and come out of a match losing 151. I'm ALWAYS worth 30+ points and I can't find anyone over 18 tonight. This would be mind boggling, but it's the same frustration over and over. I just had to vent. Disregard if you must.

I think Bugpop was saying how it looks like you don't actually get hit much if you have no activity going on, and it does seem to be true. I haven't made much of a serious push recently, but I noticed that in I don't get hit very hard during my long period of inactivity. I don't think you can count on not getting hit at all by simply being idle, but I certainly wasn't getting hit as often when I'm away for extended periods compaerd to my active playing time.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Koolbiird wrote:
    What is the motivation for PVP? I shield myself at #1 to take a break and no one attacks me. 2 hrs later, I unshield and come out of a match losing 151. I'm ALWAYS worth 30+ points and I can't find anyone over 18 tonight. This would be mind boggling, but it's the same frustration over and over. I just had to vent. Disregard if you must.

I think Bugpop was saying how it looks like you don't actually get hit much if you have no activity going on, and it does seem to be true. I haven't made much of a serious push recently, but I noticed that in I don't get hit very hard during my long period of inactivity. I don't think you can count on not getting hit at all by simply being idle, but I certainly wasn't getting hit as often when I'm away for extended periods compaerd to my active playing time.

I think that's just confirmation bias. I made an untouched run from 1700 to 2400 (maybe lost about 150 along the way total) but I've been smacked for over 400 since stopping to climb.
  • @Phantron So do you just disappear? I would love to farm off of someone shielded, but it doesn't seem like many people are using them this time around. I was hoping to get lucky with someone using an 8hr. My plans foiled again...
  • Are people actually still skipping Hulks? I've been using mine in this (just over 80 now) because I have nothing else that can eat even one hit, and at least he feeds Ares, but the scarecrow analogy has never been more apt. He's just a big bag of HP whose only job is to sit there getting punched until he falls down. In this he'll take a few more green than OBW for Ares to one-hit, I suppose, but he doesn't actually do much, especially in a context where there's no point trying to set up a Smash because you've got Thor spamming Mjolnir's for over 2k or nearly-dead Ares doing decent damage to everyone at once.
  • 4 fights.

2 won, but each took like zillion years.
    2 lost.

was using Thor + Logan + OBW.

no thank you.
  • I know there obviously can be a confirmation bias but it seems pretty weird you could have a level 15 team and somehow not get hit like Bugpop said happened to him. I do suspect the general activity in this tournament might be lower because the boosted characters generally strains your health packs so maybe there are bigger lulls than normal compared to the 'Spiderman fights forever' type tournaments. I have noticed that the shielded teams that I used to be able to beat up 5 times or more for points seem to disappear from my matchup list rather quickly.

I'd suspect they at least put in something to prevent you from getting beat up repeatedly by the same guy while you're idle for extended period of time. Now if you're also playing at the same time then of course you're fair game.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Are people actually still skipping Hulks? I've been using mine in this (just over 80 now) because I have nothing else that can eat even one hit, and at least he feeds Ares, but the scarecrow analogy has never been more apt. He's just a big bag of HP whose only job is to sit there getting punched until he falls down. In this he'll take a few more green than OBW for Ares to one-hit, I suppose, but he doesn't actually do much, especially in a context where there's no point trying to set up a Smash because you've got Thor spamming Mjolnir's for over 2k or nearly-dead Ares doing decent damage to everyone at once.

A Hulk with a decent level of black covers is annoying enough for me to skip at this stage of progression. Smash Hit has traumatized me...
  • Veracity wrote:
    Are people actually still skipping Hulks? I've been using mine in this (just over 80 now) because I have nothing else that can eat even one hit, and at least he feeds Ares, but the scarecrow analogy has never been more apt. He's just a big bag of HP whose only job is to sit there getting punched until he falls down. In this he'll take a few more green than OBW for Ares to one-hit, I suppose, but he doesn't actually do much, especially in a context where there's no point trying to set up a Smash because you've got Thor spamming Mjolnir's for over 2k or nearly-dead Ares doing decent damage to everyone at once.

I never skipped Hulk. It's basically a 3 on 2 when the other side has Hulk. Sure he's kind of a pain to kill later, but I'll take my 3 on 2 now and worry about the consequences when he's the last guy. For one, Hulk's presence usually makes it much safer to use Spiderman, since Spiderman can always finish off Hulk, and you only have to keep two guys stun locked to win with Hulk around (not like you're at all worried about Hulk's matches or special moves).
  • Ok....what the **** is going on?!? I have been matched with the same 6 people for tthe last 600+ points. None are worth anything anymore making it impossible for me to advance past rank 2. I'm only at 900, number 1 is at 1100. I don't remember the,last time I couldn't at least hit 1800. I'm pretty disappointed in this "new" matchmaking.
  • Apologies to Izzy, JoshNadel and Bugpop - you three were the only people giving me points from 1500 through to 2200, I tried to spread attacks evenly as much as possible as I don't think any of you were shielded at the time. Just made the last push to 2400 so if anyone sees me, I am not shielded but have a 1000 point gap between me and 2nd, so have at me!