Thick As Thieves: Jan 26 - Feb 3

Options

Comments

• Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Is there something going on with point scaling? I'm on a fresh bracket in slice 1 and top points should all be 1960, but there are 2 people with 1965, one with 1959, two others with 1958. Not that it makes any difference, just wondering why it's happening.
    You probably just reached the rubberband buffer. Since it's based on global sub leader for your slice, the guys who started right away probably reached the buffer about now.
  • JVReal wrote:
    It is my understanding that the star.png indicates rarity, not necessarily more powerful (though more powerful is assumed).

With star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png rarity I understand only top 50 getting it. It's supposed to be rare.

Hopefully they understand that with a RARE card, they shouldn't make all essentials use that rare card as if everyone had a chance to get one. I agree with split essentials. One in each sub worth a decent amount of points requiring the very rare star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png character. The rest should not be vaulted characters.

I'm a fan of the return of 3 hr like they promised, not so I can grind every 3 hour, on the hour... but so that it's available to play when I am. I have already resolved that I will likely not get top 50, but I definitely want the Storm if I can't break top 50 for Starlord.

I don't think one set refresh rate will work for every event. I still believe the refresh rates should be variable depending on event.

I have bad news for you if starlord is essential for enemy of the state then
    There should be 30 minute refreshs!!

I keed, I keed!

Bring 2* characters to PVP and you'll get your "30 min refresh"
    scottee wrote:
    They just announced that 8hr will be permanent starting with the next event. Everyone seriously needs patience and to chill out.

yey, one less thing to slave over to get results!
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I used Rocket & Groot, Capt Marvel and Fury to beat Family Reunion VII (level 234).

Use Rocket & Groot to take the big nukes from cMags and then heal with I Am Groot. Use Captain Marvel to take the smaller hits to generate black and red. Smack cMags with Hypersonic Punch whenever possible and use Photonic Blasts to clear away protect tiles as necessary. Grab blue when it's safe for Fury to duck his head out and then use Demolition on IM35. I walked away with only Captain Marvel needing a health pack.

However, this team requires 3 characters that a lot of people don't have fully leveled/covered so it obviously won't work for everyone.
  • Tahroo
    Tahroo Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    MJC46 wrote:
    How the heck do you guys beat the magneto node? The goon never drops tiles for me. How can I entice the AI to do so?

All I get it protect tiles thrown at me (so I deal no damage)

Never get enough blue to use Storms ability to stun magneto in time before he does something degenerate...

Any advice?

Assume a 2 - 3 * transitioner please. Current Magneto node level is 110

I had a bit of a problem with him too, after the second defeat I decided to just give myself 3 red tiles and +3 all tiles boost and then used OBWidow to keep the team healed and rob the enemy while I tried to burst down the Maggia who feeds Magneto with all his death dealing tiles. This node will be a nightmare as it progresses.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Whew, ok. After joining an 800+ bracket to start, after 3 optimal clears, I'm within reach of top 10. Silly grinders.

PSA for those that may not know, the node in the main is repeatable. Grab you some extra 200 points and hope those above you forget or don't know icon_e_wink.gif.
  • good: only a few nodes, essentials are goon nodes

bad: they take magneto away from me in a node
  • scottee wrote:
    They just announced that 8hr will be permanent starting with the next event. Everyone seriously needs patience and to chill out.

That's a good point. D3 could have showed some patience and held this event for 1 day while they sorted the data and not made a tinykitty mess of this.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So far I've hit every node optimally (Bracket 2), but I can't seem to climb any higher than 37th every refresh...I know it's early, but usually I'm well into the top 10 by now....even when they gave out 4hor and Elektra...this is going to be an interesting week.....
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,032 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rbdragon wrote:
    So far I've hit every node optimally (Bracket 2), but I can't seem to climb any higher than 37th every refresh...I know it's early, but usually I'm well into the top 10 by now....even when they gave out 4hor and Elektra...this is going to be an interesting week.....

that happen to me like 3 PVE ago, i ususally take top 20 but i finished like 287 that pve for some reason.
  • Rico Dredd wrote:
    As much as I like MPQ, it's stuff like this that will eventually drive me to quit. Only Top 50 get the main reward, 6 days of event, 3 hour refreshes (after I was hopeful they'd change them to 8 hours for good). I don't want to speak for everybody else, of course, but for me this endless repetitive grinding takes the fun out of MPQ. If I want the reward, I have to structure my life around MPQ. If I say my life is more important, I will lack the essential character needed for the next event, which will be a major throwback there.
    icon_evil.gif

We all feel the same way about this. What would happen if 50% or more players didn't participate in an event? That would surely send a very strong message to the devs, wouldn't it? Getting the majority of players to agree to do that, well, that's another story... When they give us horrible events like this and participation goes up, they figure this is what we want so they give us more of the same.
  • joecoolmd wrote:
    Rico Dredd wrote:
    As much as I like MPQ, it's stuff like this that will eventually drive me to quit. Only Top 50 get the main reward, 6 days of event, 3 hour refreshes (after I was hopeful they'd change them to 8 hours for good). I don't want to speak for everybody else, of course, but for me this endless repetitive grinding takes the fun out of MPQ. If I want the reward, I have to structure my life around MPQ. If I say my life is more important, I will lack the essential character needed for the next event, which will be a major throwback there.
    icon_evil.gif

We all feel the same way about this. What would happen if 50% or more players didn't participate in an event? That would surely send a very strong message to the devs, wouldn't it? Getting the majority of players to agree to do that, well, that's another story... When they give us horrible events like this and participation goes up, they figure this is what we want so they give us more of the same.

The thing is, people will play no matter what. Even if the game said "everytime you finish a node we'll give you an electric shock" there'd be people playing.

I'm still curious what happened to game participation during Simulator/Luke Cage and wonder if that's why they're changing things so drastically.
  • Believe it or not, playing the game more doesn't lead to D3 making more money since it is obviously not very common for people to be buying health pack in bulk to continue playing (because you'd end up spending more HP on health pack than whatever you're trying to win most of the time). A decrease in playing activity would not be viewed as a negative unless the number of daily active user also decreased, which it seems like it did when I checked Thinkgaming.com which estimates daily users at about 85K and I'm pretty sure it was over 100K at one point. That said, if there's no plan to address the decline, then staging some kind of player boycott would hardly matter. The 8 hour change is a good idea, but the game also needs more content. It's hard to imagine making a sales pitch like: "Remember when you quit MPQ because it's too grindy? Well now it's still exactly the same thing but way less grindy!" That's not going to work. For a player feedback to matter it'd also have to coincide with some effort that is attempting to expand the game, like say a mode of playing, because nobody is going to expect player engagement/spending/whatever metric to suddenly go up by a lot just because the refresh timer went to something reasonable. It's a good maintenance/sanity check but it's not expanding the game, either.
  • Phantron wrote:
    A decrease in playing activity would not be viewed as a negative unless the number of daily active user also decreased, which it seems like it did when I checked Thinkgaming.com which estimates daily users at about 85K and I'm pretty sure it was over 100K at one point.

Well on Steam both the average and peak number of players has drop over the last year which is to be expected since they only added one new game mode over these time. They down to 602 Average and 948 peak for the last 30 days.
  • Sumilea wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    A decrease in playing activity would not be viewed as a negative unless the number of daily active user also decreased, which it seems like it did when I checked Thinkgaming.com which estimates daily users at about 85K and I'm pretty sure it was over 100K at one point.

Well on Steam both the average and peak number of players has drop over the last year which is to be expected since they only added one new game mode over these time. They down to 602 Average and 948 peak for the last 30 days.

While I'm not someone who says the sky is falling because I'm less interested in the game than before, it'd indeed be pretty unfathomable if players are more interested in the game given how little content was added recently. I suspect the peaks you see coincide with a new event like say, Enemy of the State? And while I know new content takes time, it doesn't seem to be asking too much for these to be developed on a monthly basis. No it won't fix any of the underlying game balance problems but I'm sure most of us will be more willing to overlook them if we don't have to fight the same five DAs yet again.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, does the first sub only have 7 nodes (2 required)? Just wondering if I actually need to beat that Magneto node in order to unlock anything, or if it's just for points.
  • papa07 wrote:
    scottee wrote:

That's a good point. D3 could have showed some patience and held this event for 1 day while they sorted the data and not made a tinykitty mess of this.

They have stated in another thread that they have to plan out each PVE a week in advance for testing purposes and whatnot, so unfortunately them holding off a day would not have made a difference as this PVE was being set up durring the last PVE. Right now they are working on getting the next one ready, so they have the ability to go in and make the change for the next PVE.
  • They messed up again Scotland Yard is already open with a 4 day timer!!!!
  • Sumilea wrote:
    They messed up again Scotland Yard is already open with a 4 day timer!!!!

Sadly that means 4 days of scaling Juggernaut fights icon_e_sad.gif
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sumilea wrote:
    yup. but they cant change the node refresh value live...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    Sumilea wrote:
    yup. but they cant change the node refresh value live...
    They probably can, it's just that changing it mid-event would create an uneven playing field since some will miss refreshes others won't miss. Changing the end time shouldn't have that effect as long as they do it in a timely manner.