Rage and Ruin Tourney

Options

Comments

• Phantron wrote:
    It's not uncommon to take out the two guys that isn't Ares with a 6 red + 6 whatever else the rest of team uses by turn 3. This has nothing to do with AI. If you had to play against someone that starts out with 3 AP boosts (and subject to the same handicap as the computer) you'd also see 2 of your guys blown away by turn 3 half of the time and then get permanently stunned the rest of the match. I understand why the boosts are there, but there's literally no way the defense has any chance of putting up a fight against 6 AP in 4 colors whether they're trying to tank or not.

The defense isn't necessarily supposed to win as much as they are supposed to maybe take out a single cover or damage a few enough to force health pack use.
  • I have no idea why forum keeps glitching on me. That's the 2nd time today I've pressed edit and it's performed a quote function. **** forum.
  • jozier wrote:
    Boosts also cost you ISO. Sure you win a few more matches in the short term, but it prevents you from upgrading as quickly in the long term.

In general, I use them pretty sparingly. In this tournament, though, Phantron has a good point--Ares can burn through opponents so quickly that the stockpile boosts are a smart spend. I've reached higher progression rewards and am currently placed higher in this tournament than I ever have before (been playing since ~Xmas), so I'm going to use some boosts to see if I can get to 1800 and maybe top 5. The combination of shields and the easy Ares covers in the Hunt event have brought those rewards in reach for me, so I'm pretty happy.
  • wathombe wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    Boosts also cost you ISO. Sure you win a few more matches in the short term, but it prevents you from upgrading as quickly in the long term.

In general, I use them pretty sparingly. In this tournament, though, Phantron has a good point--Ares can burn through opponents so quickly that the stockpile boosts are a smart spend. I've reached higher progression rewards and am currently placed higher in this tournament than I ever have before (been playing since ~Xmas), so I'm going to use some boosts to see if I can get to 1800 and maybe top 5. The combination of shields and the easy Ares covers in the Hunt event have brought those rewards in reach for me, so I'm pretty happy.

Love going into fight with an injured ares with the boosts, just need a couple red matches or a 4 match red and you can drop their whole team instantly. It’s like lighting round =D
  • doneskis wrote:
    Love going into fight with an injured ares with the boosts, just need a couple red matches or a 4 match red and you can drop their whole team instantly. It’s like lighting round =D

Nice. How do you keep Ares below 25-30%, though, and still keep your other two team members healed?
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    Moral wrote:
    Looks like the response to tank teams is allowing people 1000 points lower to see you and bust you back down as you try to advance.

Though no one puts in a tank team until they shield, so they're not so much able to bust you down as they are to catch up more easily.

I was actually referring to the beating the ~600 mob gives anyone trying to pull away from the pack. Now the mob can still see you after you get some distance as you try to progress.
  • Damn... hit 2k and I'm in mmr hell icon_cry.gif
    I can see only 3-4 guys at 2.4k, but they all have powerful teams out. Don't think I'll be able to hit 2.4k icon_e_sad.gif
    Well at least I finished my punisher...
  • wathombe wrote:
    doneskis wrote:

Nice. How do you keep Ares below 25-30%, though, and still keep your other two team members healed?

i only do this when i'm at work. I cant really play efficiently and smartly while working so I just boost and and go for massive damage.

Not the most efficient way to play but it's just fun seeing the big numbers and seeing their team drop.

Also, since ares is boosted he ends up tanking everything in this event so easy to only keep him hurt.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    It's not uncommon to take out the two guys that isn't Ares with a 6 red + 6 whatever else the rest of team uses by turn 3. This has nothing to do with AI. If you had to play against someone that starts out with 3 AP boosts (and subject to the same handicap as the computer) you'd also see 2 of your guys blown away by turn 3 half of the time and then get permanently stunned the rest of the match. I understand why the boosts are there, but there's literally no way the defense has any chance of putting up a fight against 6 AP in 4 colors whether they're trying to tank or not.

The defense is necessarily supposed to win as much as they are supposed to maybe take out a single cover or damage a few enough to force health pack use.
    Exactly, and that's why certain people's non stop whining about the existence of healing is stupid.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bah, I'm starting to get attacked for -50, at 2.2k points... so close to the damn 4* wolvie, sigh.
  • Me too at 2250-2350 is when people are laying into me...sigh.

Edit: Had to give up, attacks are getting more frequent and I have plans icon_e_sad.gif
  • I hope (it won't) color changes on the wolvie reward. I need diff colors than green, so little point to go to all that work for 50 hp....except it will be necessary now probably for a top 5 in a lot of brackets :/ top 5 right now for me is at about 1.4-1.6k or so and has mildly worried about keeping a top 5 (top in my bracket is a 2800+ and with how heavy I am being hit...that is not happening.
  • I'm nervous.

I shielded at 8:30am this morning, and it seems like the matchmaking changes kicked in after that time.

I have three soft teams queued up (two of which I know for a fact are shielded and done for the tourney) for 150 points.

I'm going to try for 1800, the Punisher cover, and 5th place.

I'm in 7th at ~1200 points, and the bracket is a b*tch above me (400 points to go to hit 5th).

There is a humongous pack of hungry, ravenous ~600-point teams far, far below me.

My shield expires in 25 minutes.

If I don't make it back, go on without me.

Wish me luck.
  • wathombe wrote:
    I'm nervous.

I shielded at 8:30am this morning, and it seems like the matchmaking changes kicked in after that time.

I have three soft teams queued up (two of which I know for a fact are shielded and done for the tourney) for 150 points.

I'm going to try for 1800, the Punisher cover, and 5th place.

I'm in 7th at ~1200 points, and the bracket is a b*tch above me (400 points to go to hit 5th).

There is a humongous pack of hungry, ravenous ~600-point teams far, far below me.

My shield expires in 25 minutes.

If I don't make it back, go on without me.

Wish me luck.

1800 is a piece of cake with a decent team. 2400 not so much, if you are not lucky with your mmr.
  • 1800 is a piece of cake with a decent team. 2400 not so much, if you are not lucky with your mmr.

51 Ares / 78 OBW / 69 Wolvie. I've only been playing for ~3 weeks.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    1800 is a piece of cake with a decent team. 2400 not so much, if you are not lucky with your mmr.

Should be doable with a little luck, IMHO. If you have him, I'd sub Thor for Wolvie. Since you wanna use Ares green, both on offense and defense, I found Wolvie to be a little useless on this one. Thor's red instead is pretty good to fuel sunder.
  • wathombe wrote:

Should be doable with a little luck, IMHO. If you have it, I'd sub Thor for Wolvie. Since you wanna use Ares green, both on offense and defense, I found Wolvie to be a little useless on this one. Thor's red instead is pretty good to fuel sunder.

Huh. My Thor is only lvl 39, unfortunately. Will think about it, but I wonder if a lvl 39 Thor vs a lvl 69 wolvie will make me a more attractive target to attack.

EDIT: Also, my wolvie is (irritatingly) stuck at 3 green covers, so his Feral Claws cost 5 AP. Seems like that might make it just as likely for the AI to cast Onslaught as Feral Claws (as opposed to a wolvie at 5 green, who only needs 3 AP to cast Claws).
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jozier wrote:

I find boosts to be the way to go when grinding up to 2400. The idea is that you get to grind up to high point totals and get covers that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise: I made it to 2400 off of an 85 widow/wolvie/66 ares.
  • wathombe wrote:
    wathombe wrote:

Should be doable with a little luck, IMHO. If you have it, I'd sub Thor for Wolvie. Since you wanna use Ares green, both on offense and defense, I found Wolvie to be a little useless on this one. Thor's red instead is pretty good to fuel sunder.

Huh. My Thor is only lvl 39, unfortunately. Will think about it, but I wonder if a lvl 39 Thor vs a lvl 69 wolvie will make me a more attractive target to attack.

Uhm yeah, better stick with Wolvie then icon_e_biggrin.gif
    GL HF, I'm off to bed now! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • jozier wrote:

I find boosts to be the way to go when grinding up to 2400. The idea is that you get to grind up to high point totals and get covers that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise: I made it to 2400 off of an 85 widow/wolvie/66 ares.
    I started using boosts at 2100 to try and reach 2400 since i was facing really beefy teams and wanted to do them as quick as possible.. I got to about 2350 and it's like I suddenly started appearing on everyone's radar because i got hit for nearly -300 in the span of 20 minutes, I could not win fast enough. Maybe if I had been 30 minutes faster icon_e_sad.gif