Rage and Ruin Tourney

Options

Comments

• Shields now cost 100/200/400 for the newest tournament.
  • jozier wrote:
    Still waiting on my rewards though. I want that sucker! Just bought his roster spot, 400. Expensive.

Not me. IM35 went into the dumpster.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Shields now cost 100/200/400 for the newest tournament.

Yeesh. There goes my plans for another green 4* wolvie...
  • Phantron wrote:

ahhh so expensive
  • Phantron wrote:

Not giving my all in this one. PvP is beyond annoying. Win a match, lose three for 145+. I'm salty enough and then they raise shield prices? It's like gas stations on the weekend.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Over this tourney, I spent HP on 3x 3 hour shields and 3x 8 hour shields which comes out to 450 HP. Managed to get >2400 and first place, so I got

150 HP progression
    100 HP reward
    IW cover
    Xforce wolvie cover
    3 Patch covers
    2 Ares Covers
    2 Punisher Covers
    A lot of Iso
    some other stuff maybe?

which is quite worth it, since I needed all of these covers hah.

The double priced shields and updates to the tourney system makes me wary of starting early like I did and slowly get up in points in manageable chunks.
  • I'll just join in the final few hours
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I knew they'd be raising prices on the shields the first time i used them. Even posted the prediction on here. Just didnt expect it so quickly.

Makes the 2400 reward tier seem kind of ridiculous now.
  • Eh, that's not so bad. If you don't want to pay a stealth subscription fee, you'd just need to enter everything for progression grinding up to 100HP but aim to win your bracket in no more than one out of three, maybe two if you're very dedicated. I placed first in the second IM40 and both Hulks, and 2nd in this (with 1700 something - slacker brackets aren't a myth) using ropey teams and a lot of stubbornness, and have still gained HP overall, which probably isn't how they want it working.
  • I imagine if you don't need the covers you might not be inclined to do too much shielding, but that's probably a good change because it's not really good for the game in the long run if it's always the same guys winning. Right now, there's only a large incentive to place well if you need those covers, so someone with a worse team but lacking covers is likely more willing to burn HP on shields.

I think the 2400 progression reward is going to be well out of reach now, but time will tell.
  • Nemek wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

No more shielding three times in a tournament for me. Too bad. It was kind of fun to be able to do that.

I'm concerned that the matchmaking changes are going to make the divide between the weak and strong teams that much larger. It isn't a question of whether or not someone can beat my team or not. It's the law of the zombie attack. You don't have to be faster than the zombies, just faster than the slowest guy. If there are two teams worth similar points and one is stronger than the other, which are you going to fight?
  • Veracity wrote:
    Eh, that's not so bad. If you don't want to pay a stealth subscription fee, you'd just need to enter everything for progression grinding up to 100HP but aim to win your bracket in no more than one out of three, maybe two if you're very dedicated. I placed first in the second IM40 and both Hulks, and 2nd in this (with 1700 something - slacker brackets aren't a myth) using ropey teams and a lot of stubbornness, and have still gained HP overall, which probably isn't how they want it working.

Well right now the shield costs means people who already have the cover prizes probably won't be shielding just so that they can be totally sure sell 3 covers back for 450 Iso 8 and 75 HP. Incidentally those are likely to be your strongest players, so weaker players should have a better chance at winning the big prizes. The fight for the 1st prize is going to be rather interesting, since it is now likely very costly to get enough shields to have a lead that can withstand the relentless assault, and you've to seriously ask yourself can it possibly cost more than 2500 HP to get the 4 star cover? Granted, if you don't have a particular cover you'll have to roll the dice, but if you have the cover, I just can't imagine spending say 3X100 + 3X200 = 900 HP just for a chance of winning IW, unless I'm very sure about my chances.
  • Misguided wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

No more shielding three times in a tournament for me. Too bad. It was kind of fun to be able to do that.

I'm concerned that the matchmaking changes are going to make the divide between the weak and strong teams that much larger. It isn't a question of whether or not someone can beat my team or not. It's the law of the zombie attack. You don't have to be faster than the zombies, just faster than the slowest guy. If there are two teams worth similar points and one is stronger than the other, which are you going to fight?

The problem is that a weaker team quickly gets eaten by the zombies and then you're the next victim anyway.

Nobody is going to be safe from the horde in this new system unless you're shielded.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Misguided wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Both, since they're going to be penalizing skipping.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Nobody is going to be safe from the horde in this new system unless you're shielded.

You may be right. There's certainly little reason to push early.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    There's now only one Ares cover and one Tournament Token (Dark Avengers) in the progression rewards, instead of two each.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    There's now only one Ares cover and one Tournament Token (Dark Avengers) in the progression rewards, instead of two each.

Yea that sucks. just saw that
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    omg I keep getting wicked low level teams in matchmaking, this is hilarious

Last tournament I was fighting like, 85 Ares/120 Hulk/110 Mags. Got all the way to 2400 and haven't tanked since then.

Right now?

I'm up against 21 Ares, 6 MN Mags, 14 Venom

That's not really fair.
  • Progression rewards were nice while they lasted, anyways. I agree with most of what I'm hearing - hitting 2400 is going to involve a lot of people buying shields and bagmaning it up to build a ladder for people to reach it, and the cost may be too high this time. Last event I was happy to throw up a 24hr shield and 2-3 hr shields with a tank team after I hit milestones (how bagnanimous of me), because others had already started doing it that helped me advance more quickly.

It will take a greater act of faith from the community for the first few folks to begin shielding at the higher cost and start the chain upwards. I bet with the new changes more people will enter later and make that scenario unlikely. I'd love to be wrong, though.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    omg I keep getting wicked low level teams in matchmaking, this is hilarious

Last tournament I was fighting like, 85 Ares/120 Hulk/110 Mags. Got all the way to 2400 and haven't tanked since then.

Right now?

I'm up against 21 Ares, 6 MN Mags, 14 Venom

That's not really fair.

It's probably because most the noobs are joining right away and the older players are laying back.