Rage and Ruin Tourney

Options

Comments

• I use boosts EVERY match, funny to read some of you guys never use them. Quite odd.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Emotive wrote:
    I use boosts EVERY match, funny to read some of you guys never use them. Quite odd.
    Yeah, I'm a chronic overbooster. I think I used them from....1600?
  • Emotive wrote:
    I use boosts EVERY match, funny to read some of you guys never use them. Quite odd.

There was a thread about over boosting here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1815 which was interesting.
  • I almost never use boosts, even when at 10. I should prolly start but I keep thinking there'll always be a better match in the future to use em on.
  • wathombe wrote:
    I'm nervous.

I shielded at 8:30am this morning, and it seems like the matchmaking changes kicked in after that time.

I have three soft teams queued up (two of which I know for a fact are shielded and done for the tourney) for 150 points.

I'm going to try for 1800, the Punisher cover, and 5th place.

I'm in 7th at ~1200 points, and the bracket is a b*tch above me (400 points to go to hit 5th).

There is a humongous pack of hungry, ravenous ~600-point teams far, far below me.

My shield expires in 25 minutes.

If I don't make it back, go on without me.

Wish me luck.

I did it! Took me about an hour. I'm shielded at #5 in my bracket with 1835 points.

Big THANK YOU to CStar and Evilbeavers, each of whom I hit once thanks to their posts here. Was hoping to find Mischief, but I didn't see him at my MMR.

Also, I apologize for not putting in a tank team before I shielded. I was in such a rush to get my shield up that I forgot until it was too late.

Thanks for all the advice! This was really fun. Last tourney before changes that make alllll these strategies obsolete. icon_lol.gif
  • Wow, rage and ruin indeed.

I decided to try to achieve the 2400 reward - because just giving a negativish feedback about the progression point creep without trying it out was a bit unfair, and I'm also curious to a fault.
    My team made by lvl 60-65 Ares, lvl 60 spidey, lvl 80 hulk (filler - hp sponge if ares get stunned). Nothing incredible but I'm shy spending iso on 3* at the moment - too afraid to get a lvl 141 bagman in the near future.
    Anyway, the first in my bracket sits at 2430ish, and I am at about 600.

grind grind grind...

Climbed to 2380 no problem, just took soooooo loooooong.
    Then the nightmare begins.
    I get hit for 120 points out of the blue. I try to climb up but not move really much due to 1 player win - 1 ai loss on average, sometimes 2 of either in a row. Half an hour like this.
    Shield up to vent on the forum (absolutely necessary icon_razz.gif )
    I try again, and somehow break 2420... progression reward, check! 1st in the bracket, just one last pushhhhh... 2 attacks breach the useless ai, 100 points away from the target, again.
    Every win the score is showing the target achieved, only to taunt me at the very next screen with the point loss. Again. And again, and again.
    The whole time I have to brave a shielded guy with a lvl maxish mag and hulk that nets me 48 point, repeatedly. One wrong move and I get wiped out, without medikits left, but I make it every time. But at the same time I keep getting attacked by a random guy with a similar team in characters and levels to mine, plus other random guys in turns.
    Getting totally fed up by the 2 hours grind + 2 hours nonsense nightmare, give up, shield and whatever.

Just felt like sharing my 4 am morning experience.
    This game is seriously evil, in a good way. It's trying to teach me to take it easy, or else...
  • I managed to get to 2400 so I'm pleased, my 3rd green X-Wolvie.

But wow. My shield expired at about 8:58 pm. By 9:03 PM I had lost 325 points. Crazy.
  • Welp, guy ahead of me keeps climbing. No 4th blue IW for me icon_e_sad.gif
  • Spoit
    Options
    Sorry for knocking you out of 1 northern polarity, but I ran out of worthwhile stacks in the savage land, so you got top 2 in that, right? (I'm 1/5 for tries at that. I think I'm not even going to bother trying any more, too grindy)
  • I joined with an hour and twenty minutes left. I had a crazy amount of people to hit for 40-50 points. It was a mad sprint to rack up points. I joined a bit late because the leaders had a 300 point head start on me and I came up and 200 points short.

Beezer was blazing though. Won my bracket.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Enjoy the IW beezer. I stopped playing with 20 mins left as soon as I got the 1k reward.

Btw I did this with lvl6 Ares and no boosts. The 50 point matches make point gain speed pretty ridiculous.

0 to 1k in an hour and people think Spidey is the most OP chara? Lol
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    Welp, guy ahead of me keeps climbing. No 4th blue IW for me icon_e_sad.gif

Dude you were wicked competition for that IW cover.
  • Clint wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    Welp, guy ahead of me keeps climbing. No 4th blue IW for me icon_e_sad.gif

Dude you were wicked competition for that IW cover.

You and me were the only ones in that bracket. I thought you'd given up but when you broke shield I figured I'd give it a shot (I was too far behind for top 2 in Savage Land so I tried to chase you.)

That was a fun one. I like boosted Ares.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    I joined with an hour and twenty minutes left. I had a crazy amount of people to hit for 40-50 points. It was a mad sprint to rack up points. I joined a bit late because the leaders had a 300 point head start on me and I came up and 200 points short.

Beezer was blazing though. Won my bracket.

Think I joined about 5 minutes before you. Level 85 Ares (all iso from the hunt and LRs this week) made it go by pretty quick.
    Enjoy the IW beezer. I stopped playing with 20 mins left as soon as I got the 1k reward.

Thank you sir icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Still waiting on my rewards though. I want that sucker! Just bought his roster spot, 400. Expensive.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Sorry for knocking you out of 1 northern polarity, but I ran out of worthwhile stacks in the savage land, so you got top 2 in that, right? (I'm 1/5 for tries at that. I think I'm not even going to bother trying any more, too grindy)

Yeah, got top 2. I only took first from you because I needed to recharge my shield: I wasn't going to break it after that in fear of getting attacked. I was kinda hoping that people would attack you when your shield was down, but I guess that didn't work out, heh. I think I have around 6 top 2 finishes in the hunt missions. I should probably focus more on iso than placing now... my wolvie / widow team isn't cutting it. Maybe I should look into switching to the hulk: he seems like a really good deterrant against attacks.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    I managed to get to 2400 so I'm pleased, my 3rd green X-Wolvie.

But wow. My shield expired at about 8:58 pm. By 9:03 PM I had lost 325 points. Crazy.

I feel your pain. With this new PvP system, I think having a good defensive team is going to be a lot more important.
  • Spoit
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    I managed to get to 2400 so I'm pleased, my 3rd green X-Wolvie.

I feel your pain. With this new PvP system, I think having a good defensive team is going to be a lot more important.
    Well for this tournament in particular, a good defensive team is purely about annoyance, since the ares boost is pretty obscene. With boosts, and a low cover IM40, pretty much anyone under 5k HP is a complete non-issue
  • whoa can't believe i finished number 1 in this one....
    the guy in second place was right behind me and I got attacked last second....
  • Ugh. Actually had to play the last hour of that after getting the time wrong on my shield, because I was damned if I was paying 50HP to hold 2nd for an hour, and thanks to the latest fabulous idea from the geniuses trying to make an olympic sport out of a heavily luck-based pattern recognition game and keep a bunch of angry grindmonkeys happy, I might've ended up top 500 without defending it.

Amusingly, it was actually quieter than during the obvious activity spike around three hours out, though I still lost four or five hundred. I guess basically everyone above 1k is shielded and waiting by that point. We'll see if that holds once the shields you have to save up and be selective or buy with real money hit.