**** Invisible Woman (Classic) **** [PRE 2015-04]

Options

Comments

• Side note: What is even the criteria for Omega level? (more of rhetorical question, I'll look into it)

There isn't one. Not really. Mostly it's about powers that reach a certain level where they have reality warping properties - In some cases, like professor X's, it's just the purest, most powerful form of a particular power - like the ability to control entire planets worth of sentient beings or dominate an intelligence from across the galaxy. You'll notice the list contains several extreme telekinetics as well - I assume they were tagged as Omega because at a certain point telekinesis becomes moving atoms and molecules around, which is what warping realities is all about.

I wouldn't hesitate to call Wanda an Omega level mutant, though she's not in canon (it's never been explicitly said, just like mags and apoc)
  • Riggy wrote:
    IW is the only 4* I have 13 covers for (Fury has 8, S&V has 7, Dino has 9, and Thor has 1). As such, I really want her to become as brutal as S&V so I actually have a chance against the constant flow of 270 S&V's that I see in PVP.

And I'm actually a late-comer to comic books. Had a few Punisher issues and a few Magic the Gathering comic books during the era of Fallen Empires, but I didn't get a Marvel Unlimited subscription until about 15 years later (about 5 years ago). Now I just read random series as able. Read the main Dark Reign series and surrounding story arcs, but other than that I just pick and choose - Civil War, World War Hulk, Illuminati. Working on some Deadpool series right now. Any recommendations? icon_e_biggrin.gif

Edit: Also: buff IW.

Marvel zombies 1 and 2 (whole series). The whole 2099 universe comics were great. If you want to get a nice idea of the direction the movies are going I'd recommend reading through everything with "Infinity" in the title (don't worry, you won't be spoiled) and the dark phoenix saga. Oh and Secret wars. Read secret wars. Really, read it.
  • ark123 wrote:
    There were 19 omega level mutants, many of them are from different dimensions or dead. They are:

Charles Xavier (Earth-616)
    Franklin Richards (Earth-616)
    Gabriel Summers (Earth-616)
    Jean Grey (Earth-616)
    Hope Summers (Earth-616)
    Emma Frost (Earth-616)
    Matthew Malloy (Earth-616)
    Robert Drake (Earth-616)
    Absolon Mercator (Earth-616)
    Rachel Summers (Earth-811)
    David Haller (Earth-616)
    Elizabeth Braddock (Earth-616) (supposedly)
    Nathaniel Grey (Earth-295)
    Franklin Richards (Earth-10235)
    Quintavius Quire (Earth-616)
    Joshua Foley (Earth-616)
    Nathan Summers (Stryfe) (Earth-4935)
    Takeo Sasaki (Earth-101001)
    Jean Grey (Earth-101001)

It's arguable if Magneto and Apocalypse are Omega level.
    So dumb newbie-esque question: why is Wanda Maximoff not included in the list of omega level mutants? I just read the story of her bringing the mutants to the edge of extinction, followed by the rebirth of the mutant population, and then the mutant rapture with the Apocalypse Twins. Seems kind of omega level to me. icon_razz.gif
    ark123 wrote:
    Marvel zombies 1 and 2 (whole series). The whole 2099 universe comics were great. If you want to get a nice idea of the direction the movies are going I'd recommend reading through everything with "Infinity" in the title (don't worry, you won't be spoiled) and the dark phoenix saga. Oh and Secret wars. Read secret wars. Really, read it.
    Thanks for the recommendations. Was secret wars about the skrull invasion? I think I read a couple of series related to that, but Marvel Unlimited didn't have the complete story line the last time I tried reading it.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Riggy wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    So dumb newbie-esque question: why is Wanda Maximoff not included in the list of omega level mutants? I just read the story of her bringing the mutants to the edge of extinction, followed by the rebirth of the mutant population, and then the mutant rapture with the Apocalypse Twins. Seems kind of omega level to me. icon_razz.gif

heh, I actually asked that same question/answered last page. Personally I've been trying to keep up with what I can't fit into my own reading schedule through comic based podcasts/youtube channels. Ranging from straight reviews to people just down right explaining what happens. Granted, some can be seen as glorified spoilers. I justify it this way, if I'm hearing about something I wouldn't have bought/heard about otherwise, it now gives me the chance to - or well the chance to want to rather, which is usually the only push I need.

I mean I'd love to be able to find a way to fit the decades worth of back issues into my life but as that famous old quote goes - time is monkeys.

And on a totally related note: I think they should really buff dat IDUBZ
  • Riggy wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

heh, I actually asked that same question/answered last page.

And on a totally related note: I think they should really buff dat IDUBZ
    I see your post now about Wanda on page 2. I must have missed it b/c you weren't talking about buffing IW. icon_e_smile.gif Glad to see you're coming around to that though. icon_razz.gif
  • Riggy wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Thanks for the recommendations. Was secret wars about the skrull invasion? I think I read a couple of series related to that, but Marvel Unlimited didn't have the complete story line the last time I tried reading it.

Secret wars was the first huge marvel crossover with a really good story. I don't really want to talk more about it because the story is so good, but it's the first time a near-omnipotent being is used in a Marvel story - he's called the Beyonder and he means business. One of the characters in this story becomes fully aware of his powers and becomes near omnipotent as well- he would later show up in a pretty interesting story involving our buddies the Dark Avengers.

Secret wars is from 84, so no, nothing to do with the skrull invasion.

That list I posted has the mutants that were stated (in actual comics) to be Omega level. From what we know of her capabilities I'd say we could easily call her that. Magneto and Apocalypse are harder to classify - Mags was pretty godly at certain points but most of the time he was merely a very powerful energy manipulator. Apocalypse is even harder to tag, since a ton of his powers come from Celestial tech, and I don't think it was really ever stated what he was able to do to start with. In his common form he has molecular-level control over his body and in a few comics he's a powerful telekinectic too, so maybe he counts, but it was never said.

Edit - Oh yeah, Secret Wars is also the story where Peter Parker gets the black uniform that would later become Venom.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    Riggy wrote:
    Screw you all. This is a thread about Invisible Woman and buffing her in-game, not about comparing your Marvel creds.

I wish I wasn't so much of a goody-two-shoes - I would delete every post here that isn't specifically asking for IW to get buffed.

Or maybe I could just edit in a "Also: buff IW" to every post.

As a mostly retired mod I would assume you'd be more familiar and tolerant of things getting side tracked? I didn't see any comparing of Marvel creds, just a discussion about Iceman with some posters kind enough to put up some information on their points. Decent productive banter - nothing more.

I love the oppertunity to do a little geek comic talk and get up to speed on what they are doing with the modern series' as I'm an old schooler and collect mainly silver age to copper age marvel. Sorry for hijacking the convo

Also, for recomened series to read and sort of tie in with the movie directions I'd recomend Civil War as well.

IW needs to be buffed.
  • rednailz wrote:
    Riggy wrote:
    Screw you all. This is a thread about Invisible Woman and buffing her in-game, not about comparing your Marvel creds.

I wish I wasn't so much of a goody-two-shoes - I would delete every post here that isn't specifically asking for IW to get buffed.

Or maybe I could just edit in a "Also: buff IW" to every post.

As a mostly retired mod I would assume you'd be more familiar and tolerant of things getting side tracked? I didn't see any comparing of Marvel creds, just a discussion about Iceman with some posters kind enough to put up some information on their points. Decent productive banter - nothing more.

I love the oppertunity to do a little geek comic talk and get up to speed on what they are doing with the modern series' as I'm an old schooler and collect mainly silver age to copper age marvel. Sorry for hijacking the convo

Also, for recomened series to read and sort of tie in with the movie directions I'd recomend Civil War as well.

IW needs to be buffed.
    Meh, the topic of conversation is a common one. Might as well get some value out of the thread with discussion on omega level mutants. And I'm mostly retired - that makes me old and crotchety and set in my ways. icon_razz.gif Although I could probably pull that out of my sig as I'm the only active mod left.

Civil War is actually my favorite story line to date. I've read most of the tie-ins and was pretty happy to hear that Captain America 3 will feature that story line.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    Riggy wrote:
    Meh, the topic of conversation is a common one. Might as well get some value out of the thread with discussion on omega level mutants. And I'm mostly retired - that makes me old and crotchety and set in my ways. icon_razz.gif Although I could probably pull that out of my sig as I'm the only active mod left.

Civil War is actually my favorite story line to date. I've read most of the tie-ins and was pretty happy to hear that Captain America 3 will feature that story line.

Oh man, I can relate to old and crotchety, liking Civil War, and being excited about the Cap 3 tie in. I also think it's a good way to tie in newer storyline with the older marvel universe. Old dogs like me can still relate and aren't confused by ultimate storylines, ect. I actually lent Civil War and Fear Itself to a buddy who isn't really into comics, and he loved them, loved Civil War much more (I agree), so I lent him A vs X and he didn't even make it half way through....lol. Personally, as a Doc Strange fan, I'm most excieted about the buzz around that!
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:
    You might want to read over when Emma Frost dug into him and "untapped" him. Bobby's biggest issue is a lack of confidence. That's what John St John plays with, and why we only see him go icy in the third movie. He finally pushes him to form. (in the X-Men movies. They actually get that discomfort and self-faith INCREDIBLY correct.)

He's not just "frosty, the self-skiing snowball". Dude. He's uncanny powerful. He could force someone arguably immortal like Apocalypse into immediate stasis. Similarly with Sentry. It doesn't matter that he's powerful. Bobby could instantly 0 kelvin the blood in his veins.

He's just doubtful of himself and his abilities. He needs a touch of narcissism. Gambit's way more powerful than how he's portrayed in the movies, cartoons, too. he can explode items in close proximity with but a look.

That's exactly what I was thinking while reading the posts. Emma showed us Bobby's true potential. He pretty much has similar powers as IW, just uses ice instead of invisible whatchamacalit.

IW needs a buff. At least put her on par with Fury. I'm excited that they are adding another transition phase to the game.
  • Let me be different and start off by saying IW needs to be buffed...

Now on to other things...

Magneto, while yes I don't remember them ever saying he was Omega level, it has been mentioned that he has control over the electro Magnetic field of the earth and could easily muck it up and detroy the planet, if he wanted to...

Ice-Man, yeah the Age of Apocolypse version followed by him getting a hole blasted through him by Onslaught and the Emma Frost thing really was the start of showing what he could do if he just put his mind to it.

Gambit, while I have not heard about him being able to charge items without touching them (ive been out of comics for awhile unfortunately) I do know that he can charge ANYTHING, its just that bigger objects take longer to charge. Theoretically, given enough time, he could charge an entire mountain to explode. Thats the reason he uses cards, they have minimal mass.

And I would easily place Franklin Richards as top of the top in power. He has created entire universes (Heroes Reborn) and at some point I remember he replaced Galactus with a scene where Reed had to speak with him as Galactus cause if he reminded him who he really was he would go back to being Franklin and something bad would happen. End of the univers or some such comic thing...

And to go with what someone mentioned earlier, definitely read the 2099 stuff...well, except for maybe Rampage and Punisher...lol...the X-Titles (LOVED Nostromo), Spidey, and Especially Dr. Doom were great... Wish they would bring back the 2099 version of Dr Doom somehow...

(And while we're on the subject of comic knowledge, its been noted that everytime Dr Doom has managed to actually gain control of the world, it has ended up being good for the world. Maybe they should just let him have it... lol)
  • Actually if you're considering all the character's stories, Gambit's second mutation turns him into New Sun, which is also ridiculously powerful, capable of incinerating planets, freezing things in space/time and travelling across space and dimensions.
  • iLL619
    iLL619 Posts: 170
    Options
    I am a new player, sad thing is she is my only 4* and she is so weak smh
  • iLL619 wrote:
    I am a new player, sad thing is she is my only 4* and she is so weak smh

Keep her around. xforce used to be worse than her.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes, IW most definitely could use a few tweaks. She is nowhere near what 4* should be.

And as to the other topic, (I only ask because this actually came up recently). If someone had never read a comic in their entire life, and wanted to start, what would be a good point. My wife was asking me recently why I spend so much time/money on comics. I tried to explain, but don't think I did very well. So I told her to just try reading some. Problem is, she has no idea where to begin and I don't know what to suggest. I have almost every Xmen issue, tons of Spidey, FF, (actually had Avangers #1 - #72, originals from the 60s, most in mint condition, until a few weeks ago). As well as a member of Marvel Unlimited. My first thought was just give her my Xmen #1- whatever (again, originals, most in mint condition), and let her start there. But that's 50 years ago. So, I thought ask around, here and a few other sites/forums/message boards.
  • Again, I havent been able to read in a while so some of my answers could be outdated...

Spidey - Cant hurt going with some of the classic stories like Kraven's last hunt (Still wish they would turn that into a movie). I've also tended to prefer some of his non-supervillian stuff, like "About a gun" as it shows a more "real life" impact. And Aunt Mays death back on the 90's still sticks with me with the whole bit about her having always known he was spiderman. (still annoys me they brought her back...)

X-titles - Stick with core X-Men stuff would be my opinion, but depending on her sense of humor I might also include Warren Ellis' run on Excalibur. The storyline of Illyana's death and the impact it had. The Bastion Storyline had great moments with Wolverine/Jubes/Jean Grey

No matter what I would start with something that has a complete storyline, even if its over a few issues. And really, it depends alot of her personality. Find a story that has aspects that she likes in other things (what kind of shows or movies she watches or books she reads) and go with that. Much better chance of buy-in going that route.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes, IW most definitely could use a few tweaks. She is nowhere near what 4* should be.

And as to the other topic, (I only ask because this actually came up recently). If someone had never read a comic in their entire life, and wanted to start, what would be a good point. My wife was asking me recently why I spend so much time/money on comics. I tried to explain, but don't think I did very well. So I told her to just try reading some. Problem is, she has no idea where to begin and I don't know what to suggest. I have almost every Xmen issue, tons of Spidey, FF, (actually had Avangers #1 - #72, originals from the 60s, most in mint condition, until a few weeks ago). As well as a member of Marvel Unlimited. My first thought was just give her my Xmen #1- whatever (again, originals, most in mint condition), and let her start there. But that's 50 years ago. So, I thought ask around, here and a few other sites/forums/message boards.

This might be a little strange, but I'd start her on something that's NOT standard marvel/dc superhero. Those are the kinds of things you might want to ween them onto, as it can be a bit daunting a task to start for a beginner. Maybe start with Alias/The Pulse (Jessica Jones storyline), Rising Stars (3-part story in trades), or Y The Last Man. You're better off making sure she actually likes comics and enjoys reading them before pulling her into the deep end.

Edit: Something something IW.
  • Something else to think about is whether she likes grand story lines with lots of epic conflicts (like the Avenger movie) or if she's more into stories with character development / internal monologue.

Also, I know my wife was turned off to Civil War b/c it opens with a bunch of children getting blown up. Make sure that the storyline you pick doesn't have anything too sensitive for that particular reader or that could turn her off pretty quickly.

Edit: Also, buff IW.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks for replies. She really liked GotG movie. Any love story would do, but they always end so badly. Except Marvel's first family the Richards. My FF collection has few gaps, but thats where Marvel Unlimited comes in. Given her personality, the FF would be just right. Especially the whole family aspect. Not sure why I didn't think of that before.

I gave her the first 20 issues of Xmen, but she didn't seem to care for it as much as I'd hoped. As for the 60 kids in Civil War, thats a BIG no no for her as well. She is a teacher, (pre k through 5th grade). She loves kids too much to read that one. Which I didn't think about, I was actually going to suggest she read a few of them. On second thought though, uhh, maybe not.

So again, thanks for the ideas. FF matches her personality perfectly. icon_e_biggrin.gif

oh yeah, Buff IW. One thing I never understood, why is it when you use IW invisibility on another character, why can't they attack. They are invisible, not frozen.
  • All right, so don't judge me, but if she likes romance kinda stuff, and is maybe into the rom-com style, I would recommend the "Mary Jane" comics, which eventually turns into "Mary Jane Loves Spiderman." They follow her in the high school years, and the focus is mostly on Mary Jane and her trials and travails, and not Peter Parker, though he obviously becomes a bit more prominent later on. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It might be available on Marvel Unlimited, too.
This discussion has been closed.