[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks turul!

With that being said, then I may have to swing towards what others are saying about the telepath being Prof. X. If the next to on sticks with the current release trend, I don't see them giving Emma Frost 4* status.
    I can see a Phoenix-wielder meriting 4* status, and Emma did so briefly, but if they are going to introduce Phoenix it should be Jean. Think it will be Prof. X or Jean Grey for the telepath as a 4*, and Kamala Khan as the shapeshifter.

turul:
    Could you confirm if shape-shifting is literal shape-shifting or more figurative in a way like "form-changing"? A lot of people keep suggesting powers like Emma's diamond form and Vision's density/phasing abilities, and those are not strictly shape-shifting.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Emma is the only member of the Cabal (other than Norm) who's not currently in the game in some fashion...
  • DaveR4470 wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Emma is the only member of the Cabal (other than Norm) who's not currently in the game in some fashion...

Namor is also missing regardless of what membership you use, but, per Wikipedia:

Current members:
    Namor
    Thanos
    Maximus the Mad
    Terrax the Truly Enlightened
    Corvus Glaive
    Proxima Midnight
    Black Swan

Former members:
    Norman Osborn
    The Hood
    Taskmaster
    White Queen
    Doctor Doom
    Loki
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    Thanks turul!

With that being said, then I may have to swing towards what others are saying about the telepath being Prof. X. If the next to on sticks with the current release trend, I don't see them giving Emma Frost 4* status.
    I can see a Phoenix-wielder meriting 4* status, and Emma did so briefly, but if they are going to introduce Phoenix it should be Jean. Think it will be Prof. X or Jean Grey for the telepath as a 4*, and Kamala Khan as the shapeshifter.

turul:
    Could you confirm if shape-shifting is literal shape-shifting or more figurative in a way like "form-changing"? A lot of people keep suggesting powers like Emma's diamond form and Vision's density/phasing abilities, and those are not strictly shape-shifting.

If I told a more precise definition, it would reveal too much, so just think of shape-shifting in a non-strict way.
  • DaveR4470
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:

Namor is also missing regardless of what membership you use, but, per Wikipedia:

Current members:
    Namor
    Thanos
    Maximus the Mad
    Terrax the Truly Enlightened
    Corvus Glaive
    Proxima Midnight
    Black Swan

Former members:
    Norman Osborn
    The Hood
    Taskmaster
    White Queen
    Doctor Doom
    Loki

I forgot about Namor. Everyone always forgets about Namor......

I was thinking of the Cabal that featured in the Dark Reign storyline. Which -- again, correct me if I'm wrong -- was Norm, Hood, Doc, Loki, Namor, and Emma. Of those, Namor and Emma are the only ones who aren't in the game (Norm-as-IP being in existence but withdrawn from release for whatever reason). And, frankly, I doubt we'd ever see Namor, as he's just too much of an unknown to the casual comic fan. So that leaves Hottie McTelepath herself....
  • turul
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    I doubt we'd ever see Namor, as he's just too much of an unknown to the casual comic fan. So that leaves Hottie McTelepath herself....

Unknown to casual comic reader = perfect candidate for MPQ devs, quite often they choose this kind of heroes.
  • turul
    teaser: StarLord + Devil Dino + Telepath would be a fun tactical team. 1AP moves, with benefits...?
  • turul wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    I doubt we'd ever see Namor, as he's just too much of an unknown to the casual comic fan. So that leaves Hottie McTelepath herself....

Unknown to casual comic reader = perfect candidate for MPQ devs, quite often they choose this kind of heroes.

Namor is definitely better-known than probably a minimum of a half-dozen people in the game; no question he's better known than Hood, Daken, Ragnarok, or Yelena, and probably Devil Dinosaur, Squirrel Girl, or Bag-Man. And I wouldn't be surprised if he's better known than some of the others as well, especially if you count people like Gorgon.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    turul wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:

Namor is definitely better-known than probably a minimum of a half-dozen people in the game; no question he's better known than Hood, Daken, Ragnarok, or Yelena, and probably Devil Dinosaur, Squirrel Girl, or Bag-Man. And I wouldn't be surprised if he's better known than some of the others as well, especially if you count people like Gorgon.

Idk how Daken makes that list, he's pretty well-known and popular lol.
  • Arondite wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    turul wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:

I had never heard of him before I played this game. To newer comics fans, he may be well-known, but not to older ones.
  • The same can be said about X-23. I heard of her before daken. That is actually how I heard about him. Then again I am more old school as well.
  • Arondite
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    turul wrote:

I had never heard of him before I played this game. To newer comics fans, he may be well-known, but not to older ones.

We're talking about Casual comic fans, right? Guys who've been fans for 30 years arent' casual. Guys who have been fans for the last 5 are, and Daken has been in the main stream of comics within the last 5. (Hell, he's only 8 years old himself). Daken is very recognizable to the casual fan compared to older characters, like Devil Dinosaur and Bag Man.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    teaser: StarLord + Devil Dino + Telepath would be a fun tactical team. 1AP moves, with benefits...?
    Maybe an on-ability-use passive? Wiggle dino arms, add a special tile?
  • Arondite wrote:
    We're talking about Casual comic fans, right? Guys who've been fans for 30 years arent' casual. Guys who have been fans for the last 5 are, and Daken has been in the main stream of comics within the last 5. (Hell, he's only 8 years old himself). Daken is very recognizable to the casual fan compared to older characters, like Devil Dinosaur and Bag Man.

Like I said, newer fans know him better. People who grew up with comics and haven't read them lately are also casual comics fans, and they're much more likely to have heard of Namor than Daken. If I wasn't playing this game, I'd still have never heard of Daken. There are a lot more casual comics fans who haven't read any new Marvel stuff from the last 8 years than have, because comics readership used to be much larger than it is now.
  • Arondite
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Arondite wrote:

Like I said, newer fans know him better. People who grew up with comics and haven't read them lately are also casual comics fans, and they're much more likely to have heard of Namor than Daken. If I wasn't playing this game, I'd still have never heard of Daken. There are a lot more casual comics fans who haven't read any new Marvel stuff from the last 8 years than have, because comics readership used to be much larger than it is now.

I don't really consider people who used to read and no longer do casual fans. If you're not currently participating, you're not a casual fan, you're just not a fan.

That's like saying I am a casual meat fan because I used to eat it (and enjoy it), even though I've been vegetarian for the last 4 years. Former fan =/= Casual fan.
  • Arondite wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Arondite wrote:

I don't really consider people who used to read and no longer do casual fans. If you're not currently participating, you're not a casual fan, you're just not a fan.

That's like saying I am a casual meat fan because I used to eat it (and enjoy it), even though I've been vegetarian for the last 4 years. Former fan =/= Casual fan.

We're defining terms then differently, but it doesn't really matter - In any case, regardless of definition, way more people have heard of Namor than Daken, which was the point I brought up to begin with.
  • Arondite
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because I can't buy into that at all. Especially if we're only counting people who have or are likely to download the game.
  • turul
    Trisul wrote:
    turul wrote:
    Maybe an on-ability-use passive? Wiggle dino arms, add a special tile?

Yes, it adds a Protect tile every ability use.
    and deals damage
    and on higher levels, adds an attack tile too
    later a strike tile
    and I lied, it does not add protect tiles :)
  • DaveR4470
    I tend to agree with you, Ben. I hadn't heard of Daken before this game either, and I'm not a completely ignorant fan of comics. (Just about 99% ignorant, but I'm working on it.)

Also, having thought about it more, I am probably underestimating how many people are familiar with Namor. I do think that if you asked a bunch of random people if they'd heard of "Namor", you'd get a small response rate. However, I didn't take into account that if you asked a bunch of people if they'd heard of "Namor the Sub-Mariner", the "yes" level would go up quite a bit.

Back when the Spider-man and MCU films were my only exposure to the comics world since I was reading "Dennis the Menace" back in the mid-70s, I had still heard of the Sub-Mariner....

We should totally start a movement to get him in the game.
  • DaveR4470 wrote:
    We should totally start a movement to get him in the game.

I think he's on the "inevitable" list, to be honest. Given they've gotten to most of the major names (except for FF-related characters, who there may be a licensing freeze on), he's one of the more prominent - in terms of the whole history of Marvel Comics - characters not in the game yet. Not quite Dr. Strange level, but probably at about the same level as Luke Cage and Iron Fist.
This discussion has been closed.